Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 04:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2011 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB 2011  (Read 144764 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #525 on: July 27, 2011, 10:32:00 AM

19 innings of hell for me last night. I was up till 2AM watching the Braves finally win on the worst call ever in baseball!  why so serious?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #526 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:36 AM

Hearing we are now talking about trading Zach Wheeler or Gary Brown (or both?!) for Carlos Beltran, I think this is a mistake.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #527 on: July 27, 2011, 11:34:36 AM

We were in negotiations but it seems we weren't willing to deal the Mets young pitching in our own division.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #528 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:22 PM

The Giants really really ought to be willing to bet the farm on the Beltran train. He won't be worth whatever they put up, but fuck, he'll hit better than anything they've got right now.

Can the Cubs please please please trade Fukodome? He has been an overpriced bust in my opinion. Three years of .300+ OBP built on the backs of 300 walks a year and the inability to put the bat on th eball after July.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #529 on: July 27, 2011, 12:56:42 PM

Hearing we are now talking about trading Zach Wheeler or Gary Brown (or both?!) for Carlos Beltran, I think this is a mistake.

Yep, you gave up Wheeler. We couldn't match that.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: July 27, 2011, 01:10:29 PM

How desperate are the Mets to get rid of Beltran, because that guy hasn't been reliable since 2008. The Giants are going to pay most of his remaining salary and give up their top pitching prospect? Smells bad in the long run. Whatever happened to all that Jose Reyes rumor mongering? Now that was exciting.

I'm loving all the MLB and NFL personnel shuffling this week.  The Jays pretty much stole Colby Rasmus from the Cards, but I can see why they'd do it. La Russa's been trying to push him out the door for a while. Edwin Jackson has been traded seven times since he was 17. He's 27 now.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #531 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:27 PM

Suck it, Phillies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #532 on: July 30, 2011, 02:51:58 PM

Wow Cubs. Way to show off the prowess against the Cards.  Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #533 on: July 30, 2011, 09:33:20 PM

There's a reason I stop watching baseball around June every year. The Cubs are PHYSICALLY painful to watch play. They are terrible this year but at least they traded Fukodome away. It may also be time to shed some of that payroll. Soriano is way too expensive for a guy that hits .247. Ramirez at third has become too streaky. Pena was just a fuckstupid signing. Zambrano can go eat a bag of dicks for all I care. I'm tired of his primadonna shit. Our pitching staff has been goddamn atrocious, and that was the one area I thought we had some depth. So next year then?

Yeah, probably not.

Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: July 31, 2011, 12:08:41 AM

Wow, Indians actually went out and acquired Ubaldo Jiminez.. we're usually trading away Cy Young candidates. Although considering how he's been performing this year I'm pretty sure he'll never return to his 2010 form as long as he's wearing an Indians cap.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #535 on: July 31, 2011, 10:34:46 AM

Wow, Indians actually went out and acquired Ubaldo Jiminez.. we're usually trading away Cy Young candidates. Although considering how he's been performing this year I'm pretty sure he'll never return to his 2010 form as long as he's wearing an Indians cap.

Curse of Chief Wahoo

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #536 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:40 PM

Houston just dealt the Braves Michael Bourn for some magic beans.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #537 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:31 AM

Yeah, Houston gave away the damn house. I don't see that team getting better for YEARS. You know they won't spend in free agency, and they don't have enough to build off of anyway until some of that talent comes through the ranks. They just became the post-World Series Marlins.

The Yankees not adding anything at the deadline was weird, and looking at their pitching staff, that's not a team I'm afraid of for the playoffs. Their bullpen is average, beyond Sabathia they have guys that are #4 level starters at best. And the lineup honestly doesn't scare me that much either. It can put up a lot of runs, but it's got some serious holes. Of course, Boston doesn't much scare me either, considering Bedard was their best pickup and he's good for eating up a start and if you're lucky, you won't be 6 runs down when he leaves the game in the 6th. I think Texas really is the team that's going to come out of that AL unless something major changes in that division. Adding two big-time relievers to that team is a pretty big deal.

This year's NL playoffs are looking a lot like last year's, only with more offense. The Braves might actually be a force to be reckoned with thanks to Bourn. I think the Beltran trade was the best the Giants could get, but I don't think it'll get them back to the Series. I think the Phillies will come out of the NL this year - Starters #1-3 are electric, Pence is a good bat to add to a lineup that is not as good as it once was, but is still pretty damn good. Bullpen may be an issue with them, but I don't see Atlanta or San Fran having a better pen. Whoever comes out of the Central won't be good enough to get the Series. Pittsburgh is happy to be above .500, St. Louis' pitching doesn't scare me and Milwaukee is just not there yet.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #538 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:08 AM

Yeah, Houston gave away the damn house. I don't see that team getting better for YEARS. You know they won't spend in free agency, and they don't have enough to build off of anyway until some of that talent comes through the ranks. They just became the post-World Series Marlins.

The Marlins actually seem to have done pretty decent with that strategy.  They as many World Series as the Cubs, Indians, Phillies, Mets and Blue Jays who have all been around longer (in some cases much, much longer).  It seems like a lot of running a good club stems from managing the minor league talent appropriately.  Houston should have decent talent in the pipe as they always seem to have good players popping up. 
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04:23 PM

The Marlins get a bad rap on their roster strategy mostly because their owner is so completely odious, but they've done a good job, they just generate a lot of bad PR with their methods. They've had more winning seasons than losing since the last sell-off after 2003's win.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #540 on: August 03, 2011, 09:10:43 AM

Hello thar, Giants. Nice to see you.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #541 on: August 03, 2011, 09:47:36 AM

I'm officially hitting the panic button on the Braves. We've lost our two best hitters, our pitching staff is melting down from overuse, and the fucking AAA replacements can't hit a sac-fly.

I am not pleased.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #542 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:31 PM

Hello thar, Giants. Nice to see you.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Hopefully their win today means they won't totally blow against the Phillies now.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #543 on: August 05, 2011, 02:35:42 PM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
WayAbvPar

Reply #544 on: August 05, 2011, 02:37:09 PM

Heh.

Visa also contacted Cubs owner Joseph Ricketts, not in regard to any recent account activity, but just to yell at him for fucking up another season.

100+ and counting!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #545 on: August 05, 2011, 11:04:43 PM

That last bit really got me. Fucking Cubs.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #546 on: August 07, 2011, 07:08:20 AM

Uh, Giants? WTF! Stop brawling and win.

stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: August 07, 2011, 10:12:51 PM

Speaking of the Giants, here's a weekend WTF moment:

This was in response to the bench clearing shoving match from Saturday.

Slightly more in-depth version here:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/08/07/SPSI1KKHH2.DTL

I'm not familiar with Bruno, but that's a sleazy thing to say.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: August 08, 2011, 11:06:14 AM

He used to have a segment with the late-morning guy on our sports talk here, I always found him to be pretty obnoxious but I don't recall anything overtly racist - sexist, at times (shocking on sports talk am i rite?)

They ended his segment like a week ago*, but I think last I heard his syndicated show was still on after hours. Probably will be gone after this considering the market, but I guess you never know.

*Possible this may have fueled a little extra anti-SF rage?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #549 on: August 09, 2011, 02:16:41 PM

The rage was obviously too much for Beltran to handle, since he's on the DL with a wrist issue.  awesome, for real

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: August 09, 2011, 02:19:21 PM

Where are you seeing DL? MRI just showed a strain and he's day-to-day AFAIK.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #551 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:02 PM

Where are you seeing DL? MRI just showed a strain and he's day-to-day AFAIK.

DTD, my bad. Article was misleading.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:36 PM

Well DL could still happen.  why so serious?

There's a mini drama about Aaron Rowand saying he liked Chicago better than San Francisco or something too, team is clearly falling apart.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #553 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:59 PM

I just realized I hate the Phillies so much, I want the Dodgers to beat them. I guess I can't fully shake my NY team bias, even when I don't actually root for a NY team. Plus, you know. Fuck Philly fans.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #554 on: August 10, 2011, 10:06:49 AM

The Phillies are the NL Yankees, and the Braves are the NL Red Sox, without the ability to hit.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:20 AM

Nah, the Braves are just the Braves, they're worthy of scorn and hate all on their own without needing to be compared to an AL team.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #556 on: August 10, 2011, 11:05:22 AM

Nah, the Braves are just the Braves, they're worthy of scorn and hate all on their own without needing to be compared to an AL team.

The Braves are the light in the darkness that is the Southern sports landscape.

It's hard to hate on the Giants now that Barry Bonds is gone. They just aren't usually important enough to worry about until last year, and barely even then. I still don't know how they won!

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:02 AM

If you stopped with that godawful chop that would be a start on the path towards redemption.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #558 on: August 10, 2011, 11:21:12 AM

If you stopped with that godawful chop that would be a start on the path towards redemption.

NEVAH!

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #559 on: August 10, 2011, 11:31:03 AM

The Phillies are the NL Yankees, and the Braves are the NL Red Sox Indians, without the ability to hit.
The Red Sox?  Really dude?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: MLB 2011  
Jump to: