Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 86990 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: June 28, 2012, 05:08:23 AM

I'm fairly sure that wasn't me.

I suspect the chap in question was Jewish.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #246 on: June 30, 2012, 07:43:51 PM

I saw this 2 weeks ago, but went to Ireland and forgot to comment.

Agree with general gist of what everybody is saying.  Movie is ok to meh'ish.  Has some plot holes, and the plot isn't much to begin with.  Visuals were great, but movie certainly could be better.  Still, was ok for a Sci-fi night out, and the sequel could be good.

Having said that, a few complaints about silliness in the movie:

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
OandA
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: October 10, 2012, 04:07:54 PM

Just watched it and got the feeling that more than half of the story died on the floor of the editing room. What a convoluted mess of a story.

<--- Helm@work
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #248 on: October 10, 2012, 06:26:29 PM

I watched the deleted scenes, and I think they underestimated how explicit they should have been. This movie comes across as timid and afraid to tell it's story, and just wants to rely on everything being grand and mysterious.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #249 on: October 11, 2012, 11:22:11 AM

I watched this last night and yeah, Del Toro was spot on - this isn't an Alien prequel, it's an adaptation of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness" except, instead of a science expedition going to the Antarctic, they go to a planet where the first thing someone says is as close as dammit to "You can’t imagine anything like this. Highest peaks must go over thirty-five thousand feet. Everest out of the running." Then they find an abandoned alien structure.

The Engineers are Elder Things, the snake/octo-baby/alien thing are Shoggoths and the " freshly glistening and reflectively iridescent black slime" is glistening black slime. The scientists learn about the fate of the Elder things by murals/holograms and it seems that the Shoggoths turned on them. But they find a surviving Elder Thing which attacks the scientists and is then killed by a Shoggoth.

Simple really.  awesome, for real

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #250 on: October 11, 2012, 11:23:37 AM

...I feel stupid now for not noticing that.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: October 12, 2012, 02:20:34 PM

Christ, it's true. The only fundamental difference between the two is the lack of fucking man-sized penguins in Prometheus.  awesome, for real

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #252 on: October 13, 2012, 10:43:32 PM

Christ, it's true. The only fundamental difference between the two is the lack of fucking man-sized penguins in Prometheus.  awesome, for real

Well, there's a pseudo alien, a bunch of rapidly evolving worm things, and enough black oil to fill a lake. Given enough time I'm sure there will be man sized somethings there.

The more I watch this movie, the more pissed I am at it. A Del Torro MoM movie would have been a much better use of this plot. He's able to make stuff creepy and suspenseful without even trying. There's just so much crap Scott put in here that's stupid and demands you be stupid too. My latest bitch is that went whatsherfuck goes back to the alien ship that crashed to get David, she has to pass though that one big chamber that had thousands of those black oil canisters stacked neatly in it. Since just opening that one door made the canisters leak in that other room, guess what I bet will make them leak real good. Being in a spaceship that's just been rammed, crashed, rolled along the ground, and then fell the fuck over. But no, its apparently cool. And if they've got those cannisters stacked like chordwood in that room, what the fuck is the deal with the giant head room and the cannisters sitting up and neatly arranged. What's with that stupid green crystal in there. And if the Engineers were infected with the stuff, why were they all running to get into a room full of the stuff? Also, the CG scene of the geologist attacking the ship was a hundred times better than the shitty muppet makeup version they used. Shit, almost every scene has dozens of things wrong with it that make no sense.

David was good though. What a wasted opportunity on so many levels.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:24 AM

DVD/BLURAY PROMO AD

Questions... will... be answered?  

ACK!

THE. FUCK?!?

I actually yelled at the TV at a friend's watching football "What?" when seeing this ad.

Whole movie made me say WTF, and was a masturbatory Scott attempt to create additional sequels to an already overdone series.  

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #254 on: October 14, 2012, 01:11:43 AM

Yups. I think my favorite part of Prometheus was the viral trailers featuring David.

Yups again about the stupid shit. The film has so many unrealistic and contrived scenes and, even worse, characters that constantly act however the plot requires them too, rather than being sensible or at least relate-able. It's a long prepared-for science mission with an crack team of experts from every field, but their behavior is only consistent if you assume they are a bunch of 18 year olds from a generic teenage-slasher film.

Edit: And what was up with taking a 40 year old actor to play Weyland and dress him up like 95? I understand the use of CGI in something like Jurassic Park because, duh, but old people aren't extinct yet...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:22:01 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: October 14, 2012, 05:01:52 AM

I can only suspect that Scott used a younger actor I case he ever want to revisit Weyland as a younger man.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: October 14, 2012, 07:41:48 AM

IIRC, they had to do that because old Weyland wasn't originally in the movie, but after many changes to the script he was added.  Yes, the main point of the movie was added at the last minute.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Also, don't try to figure out this movie.  It was a terrible script, terrible directing and terrible editing.  That's it.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: October 14, 2012, 01:41:24 PM

I watched this last night and yeah, Del Toro was spot on - this isn't an Alien prequel, it's an adaptation of Lovecraft's "At the Mountains of Madness"
I haven't seen the movie, but vaguely recall these short stories. So I went to the wiki for a refresher, and whoever edited that part of the page links ATMOM to Prometheus:
According to Salon.com, "Universal wants to hold onto the project in the event that it changes its mind and decides to make it later, either as an R or PG-13 movie. But del Toro is already trying to set up Mountains at another studio (possibly 20th Century Fox).[27] However, on April 30, 2012, del Toro posted that, due to the resemblance in premise with director Ridley Scott's film, Prometheus, the project would probably face a "long pause -if not demise"
They cite this post by DelToro at DelToroFilms.com.

All of which actually makes me now want to see Prometheus. And reread ATMOM  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: October 14, 2012, 03:52:45 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #259 on: October 14, 2012, 06:26:32 PM

Edit: And what was up with taking a 40 year old actor to play Weyland and dress him up like 95? I understand the use of CGI in something like Jurassic Park because, duh, but old people aren't extinct yet...

They addressed this specifically in the three hour wankfest "making of" on bluray. It was because Scott wanted Weyland to have "youthful" eyes.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #260 on: October 15, 2012, 12:49:39 AM

euhhhhhhgg

I would've preferred a 2hr movie of just Michael Fassbender as David alone on that ship doing neat, existential things than what I just saw.  Honestly.  I fear for any Blade Runner prequel. 

Lindlehof the obfuscator + Scott phoning in the direction is a terrible formula.  Disappointing.

But nice to see Sean Harris (Micheletto on Borgias) getting work.  Great stuff. 
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: October 15, 2012, 07:18:11 AM

Obviously you missed the alien at the end.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:47 AM

I would've preferred a 2hr movie of just Michael Fassbender as David alone on that ship doing neat, existential things than what I just saw.  Honestly. 

The world does not need another remake of Solaris.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: November 04, 2012, 05:34:58 AM

I thought the movie was pretty good. The final line was lame, but otherwise I thought it was really enjoyable.

I think you're all being nitpicking nerds and alien fanboys.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:40:01 AM by lamaros »
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:53 AM

Yups. I think my favorite part of Prometheus was the viral trailers featuring David.

Yups again about the stupid shit. The film has so many unrealistic and contrived scenes and, even worse, characters that constantly act however the plot requires them too, rather than being sensible or at least relate-able. It's a long prepared-for science mission with an crack team of experts from every field, but their behavior is only consistent if you assume they are a bunch of 18 year olds from a generic teenage-slasher film.

I'd add the Welyand Ted speech to my list of favorite parts of Prometheus. If they'd had that version of Weyland in the movie and had a competent screenwriter rip the stupid out of the script it would have been a lot better. As it was it loses out only to Alien 3 as my least favorite Alien movie. Much like Alien 3 I simply pretend it never happened lest my enjoyment of the other movies is ruined.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: November 07, 2012, 01:14:40 AM

I'm sure there will be a great directors recut in a few years. Actually I'm not sure you can fix some of the stupid/plot.

It's unfortunate.

Also worlds strongest stomach staples. And the black goo turns everyone into a homicidal maniac, but shaw just gets knocked up?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:31:53 AM by Furiously »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: November 07, 2012, 07:50:10 AM

The goo only works on the Y chromosome.  That's why she had squid-sperm baby instead of being affected like the others.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #267 on: November 07, 2012, 08:04:39 AM

Also worlds strongest stomach staples. And the black goo turns everyone into a homicidal maniac, but shaw just gets knocked up?

Thought that was due to the sexy time with the infected worm-eye.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: November 07, 2012, 10:28:29 AM

The black goo didn't turn anyone homicidal.  It made the idiot 'durr, let's take off our helmets!' boyfriend into a walking tumor who looked about to explode, and made him knock her up with the squid, but that's it.  The two even more idiotic scientists who got all homicidal weren't exposed to the goo, they got facehugged by the worm-snake-penis things that they shouldn't've been trying to poke but did anyways.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #269 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:23 PM

The black goo didn't turn anyone homicidal.  It made the idiot 'durr, let's take off our helmets!' boyfriend into a walking tumor who looked about to explode, and made him knock her up with the squid, but that's it.  The two even more idiotic scientists who got all homicidal weren't exposed to the goo, they got facehugged by the worm-snake-penis things that they shouldn't've been trying to poke but did anyways.

At least it was a legitimate squid.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: November 07, 2012, 03:18:48 PM

David's actions made so little sense as well. I'm sad this movie wasn't better than it was.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: November 07, 2012, 05:24:27 PM

Me too.  Heartbreak I am still really jonesing for a fairly hard sci-fi movie. 
MediumHigh
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16:34 PM

I don't know how anyone expecting much after seeing that trailer...
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:22 PM

I don't know how anyone expecting much after seeing that trailer...

Shut your mouth. The trailer was boss.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: November 08, 2012, 05:30:31 AM

I don't know what you people were expecting. I thought the movie was very enjoyable. Most of the complaints seem to be nitpicking or "why isn't everything clear and explicit?!"

I liked all the "you're just a stupid robot" comments the characters made to David. (Oh no - alien life form is a little bit inscrutable! I call that good writing, not bad.) Edit: Let me clarify that all the other characterisation was pretty awful. Or maybe Fassbender is just good at being an andriod and Marshall-Green is fuckawful at being an insufferable idealist and just does 'goober' instead.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 07:19:51 AM by lamaros »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:36 AM

For those that were bitching about Lindelof earlier on in the thread, I leave you this.

http://io9.com/5960275/what-did-damon-lindelof-add-to-prometheus-the-biggest-differences-with-the-original-draft?tag=prometheus

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #276 on: November 14, 2012, 11:55:36 AM

Just saw this. It was a mess.  I wanted everyone to die. Micheal Fassbender did well with the only mildly interesting or competent character. Charlize Theron was completely wasted which is crime by itself.  If I had payed more then $1.20, I'd be upset.

"Me am play gods"
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: November 15, 2012, 08:13:24 AM

For those that were bitching about Lindelof earlier on in the thread, I leave you this.

http://io9.com/5960275/what-did-damon-lindelof-add-to-prometheus-the-biggest-differences-with-the-original-draft?tag=prometheus

Interesting article. One thing I might have liked about the original script is that it explained why David was a psycho (to precis the article; while everyone else is in hypersleep on the way to the planet, he is busy decoding the alien language - and when he succeeds, it messes up his programming).

One of the problems I had with the movie as it stands is that it doesn't explain why David behaves the way he does. It's one thing to have some mystery in a film (like Alien not explaining what the visitor is or where it comes from - it's mysterious and inexplicable to us just like it is to the characters, which is cool because it helps us identify with them) but you have to understand the motivation of the main characters in a movie for it to work, it seems to me.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 08:22:50 AM by palmer_eldritch »
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #278 on: November 15, 2012, 11:05:15 AM

I was cool with the idea that David was just a little nuts and doing his own thing.  I've never bought into the idea of the Three Laws of Robotics as something that would be easy or failsafe.  Any human-level AI would necessarily be as complicated (and potentially unpredictable) as a human, and might not do the stuff you want.  Especially if it's a one-of-a-kind prototype or whatever.

That said, I like the idea of David being corrupted by alien thought patterns or whatever.  It's a cool touch.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:27 PM

One of the problems I had with the movie as it stands is that it doesn't explain why David behaves the way he does.

Because in the same way that the alien organism in Prometheus hints at/harks back to what will/did happen in Alien, so David's instability foreshadows/recalls Ash's own human-esque failings and illogicalities.

EDIT: Christ I'm thick - only just picked up on Ash, Bishop, Call, David.  swamp poop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: