Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 10:42:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prometheus  (Read 86993 times)
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: June 11, 2012, 11:32:01 AM

A possible theory that I haven't seen mentioned:

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #141 on: June 11, 2012, 11:33:43 AM

I don't want to see this film anymore.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: June 11, 2012, 11:38:41 AM

Btw.  If you can see this in a proper IMAX theatre (meaning a 5-story screen etc.), definitely do it.  Similar to Avatar, makes a huge difference... moreso even.
Also, spend some time on the Weyland website.

If you ever intend to see it I would do it in a theater.  The main redeeming quality of the film, which has been uniformly praised here, is the visual appeal and immense scale of the imagery.  I think that would be lost outside of a theater.

I'm one of those picky motherfuckers who likes a decent story to go along with the great visuals as my motivation for getting out from under my rock and out to the theater.

There's plenty of story in this movie, it's just painted in broad strokes designed to evoke thought rather than tell you what to think.  The analogies to Inception and 2001 are correct; not as good a movie as either obviously, but a nice jaunt into some fresh territory.

A possible theory that I haven't seen mentioned:

I don't want to see this film anymore.

One flick where your spoiler-readin actually is a good thing and you don't want to see it.  pfft  That figures.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:40:32 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: June 11, 2012, 12:12:31 PM

I don't take it as a sign that the engineers were anti-religion, as they kept arriving as religious figures to people.  It's only once their emissary wound up killed that they seemed to sour on the prospects of humanity.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:13 PM

There was a lot I liked about this movie but ultimately I left disappointed.  I think the difference between this and and something llike Inception is that for the most part Inception is a pretty well contained story that you can enjoy superficially, but gives you  something to ponder about later if you wish.  Prometheus doesn't feel complete, the whole movie posits a question that it willfully refuses to answer.  Most of the movie elements where quite well done as mentioned, the visuals and acting was fine and even the plot and pacing of the movie was pretty good, all let down at the end when even some hints of the answers you where hoping for don't come.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: June 12, 2012, 07:12:25 AM

There was a lot I liked about this movie but ultimately I left disappointed.  I think the difference between this and and something llike Inception is that for the most part Inception is a pretty well contained story that you can enjoy superficially, but gives you  something to ponder about later if you wish.  Prometheus doesn't feel complete, the whole movie posits a question that it willfully refuses to answer.  Most of the movie elements where quite well done as mentioned, the visuals and acting was fine and even the plot and pacing of the movie was pretty good, all let down at the end when even some hints of the answers you where hoping for don't come.

Exactly, almost all the elements of a great movie were there but they didn't tie it together. I blame the xenomorph myself because it felt like the movie built up to that being the big payoff when the rest of the movie had little to nothing to do with it specifically.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: June 12, 2012, 07:17:25 AM

Exactly, almost all the elements of a great movie were there but they didn't tie it together. I blame the xenomorph myself because it felt like the movie built up to that being the big payoff when the rest of the movie had little to nothing to do with it specifically.

What? How many counts of DNA-Incest to make the thing. Start from 1.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:02 AM

Let me re-phrase.  While things led to the creation of the xenomorph, just hey it popping up and saying "hi im an alien!" -roll credits- is not an ending, there was no payoff there and we all knew it was coming.  Not to mention that the film never really explored more in depth the strong themes and symbolism it contained.  The was an epic ball-dropping if ever I've seen one, all the great elements were present except the script.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: June 12, 2012, 08:30:05 AM

The more Inception fanboys rag on this the higher my expectations go.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:39 AM

Let me re-phrase.  While things led to the creation of the xenomorph, just hey it popping up and saying "hi im an alien!" -roll credits- is not an ending, there was no payoff there and we all knew it was coming.  Not to mention that the film never really explored more in depth the strong themes and symbolism it contained.  The was an epic ball-dropping if ever I've seen one, all the great elements were present except the script.

Everything you just said is pretty much what happened in 2001 as well.  Didn't get fleshed out til 2010, and again later in 2061, etc.  Ended up just being a visual feast to provoke thought and that's really it.  Really fleshed-out stories tend to do the thinking for you.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: June 12, 2012, 10:16:24 AM

I don't really want the story explained and all wrapped up but the movie needed some kind of closure to it.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #151 on: June 12, 2012, 11:36:41 AM

I don't really want the story explained and all wrapped up but the movie needed some kind of closure to it.

Closure is for sequels... or however many it will spawn.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: June 12, 2012, 02:33:02 PM

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: June 13, 2012, 09:21:38 AM

I'm one of those picky motherfuckers who likes a decent story to go along with the great visuals as my motivation for getting out from under my rock and out to the theater.

Not going to the theater happens to me a lot and I've come to the conclusion that it just a bad idea in general. You start elevating the movie you choose to go see on some kind of a pedestal, which is guaranteed to result in a disappointment. We should just get our asses off the computer chair more often. 
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: June 13, 2012, 05:49:55 PM

Pretty sure the xenomorph at the end was the queen seen in aliens...
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:09 AM

A movie from the Lost writer poses some questions and has no answers for them?

Shocking.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #156 on: June 14, 2012, 07:01:29 AM

A movie from the Lost writer poses some questions and has no answers for them?

Shocking.

Yeah that was pretty much my exact thought on the front end of all this. We went through the whole wankery on the interwebs the first time around, and when the curtain was finally pulled away, we still had nothing. Why people would bother doing it again is beyond me. Maybe because he's hiding behind Scott this time.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: June 14, 2012, 09:20:06 AM

Or maybe, because we like aliens, got SOME answers, but also enjoy that with those answers came more questions.

I liked the picture and story this move painted, I liked the insights into things we never knew about the series, I like that there is more to tell.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #158 on: June 14, 2012, 12:38:26 PM

Do you like the fact they may charge you $13 a pop for 3 movies when they could answer those questions in one pop?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: June 14, 2012, 12:55:41 PM

I don't have a problem with it no. Why would I? I love the alien setting.

Unless they jump the shark.

Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: June 14, 2012, 01:07:21 PM

I don't have a problem with it no. Why would I? I love the alien setting.

Unless they jump the shark.

Like :Resurrecton?  why so serious?

I shall go see this...IMAX styles tomorrow afternoon. From what I gather here... it is probably the only way to watch this movie and enjoy the shit out of it (and not read the spoilers).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: June 14, 2012, 03:06:56 PM

The problem is the way that they didn't answer the questions, not that they left some to explore.  They made a point of not giving you all the information that the characters in the movie had on hand. 

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: June 15, 2012, 05:59:38 AM

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: June 15, 2012, 07:00:03 AM

Look, I get that you don't want to answer every question, and that you want to leave some things mysterious.  However, this movie managed to give almost no concrete answers to anything.  Everything was, at best, implied, or suggested.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: June 15, 2012, 07:16:51 AM

I don't disagree with that at all. The movie needed to answer more questions than it did, the ending just felt unsatisfactory and flat.  Would have worked for the pilot of a tv series but not a movie. I just mentioned the 2000 year thing because of what wasted said, the director is clearly stating that cause/effect from that was his intent.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #165 on: June 15, 2012, 07:32:16 AM

Look, I get that you don't want to answer every question, and that you want to leave some things mysterious.  However, this <__________> managed to give almost no concrete answers to anything.

"extended, mostly unsatisfying foray into deeper mythology with very little payoff."
"It all leads up to a conclusion so false and off-key that it is borderline astonishing."
"Real suspense comes from answers, not questions. Suspense comes not from wondering what's going on but from wondering what happens next."
"We don't just need answers, we need justifications."
"Meditations on the meaning of it all don’t amount to much."
"much of that speculation is trapped behind a series of unanswered questions that are more distracting than helpful."

Some of those quotes are from criticisms of the movie, and some of those are criticisms of LOST.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: June 15, 2012, 08:42:24 AM

Because LOST was a Failure.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: June 15, 2012, 08:44:33 AM

How so ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:52 AM

Should have been green I guess.

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: June 15, 2012, 09:28:40 AM

I agree that Lost had many of the same problems.  Now, I also enjoyed both Lost and Prometheus quite a bit, flaws and all.

In fact, what I disliked the most about Prometheus wasn't the vagueness and lack of answers.  That was annoying at most, but not enough to trash the entire movie.  What pisses me off is the endless stream of colossally stupid behavior from pretty much every single character.  Every single death in this movie was the result of someone doing something completely ridiculous, that no sane, reasonably un-stupid person would ever attempt.  One or two moronic moments are unavoidable.  Sometimes someone needs to fuck something up in order to get the ball rolling.  Here, though, all the various dangers came almost entirely from people having  swamp poop moments.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: June 15, 2012, 09:59:15 AM

From pretty much the moment that anyone took their helmet off, I was  Facepalm
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: June 15, 2012, 10:07:19 AM

Stupid moves is a staple of horror movies. Please see cabin in the woods.

croaker69
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: June 15, 2012, 10:12:53 AM

Or the original Alien

What may at first appear to be an insurmountable obstacle will in time be seen for what it really is: an impenetrable barrier.
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: June 15, 2012, 11:04:22 AM

Movie lacked an emotional connection that I got from Alien. Overall though, I enjoyed seeing it...especially in IMAX.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:56 AM

You were just worried about the cat.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Prometheus  
Jump to: