Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 06:20:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 109234 times)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #175 on: October 15, 2015, 10:08:38 AM

I don't remember underhanded vendor manipulations during that era.  Spite and bile!

You're a macboy now anyway. Nobody cares what you think.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #176 on: October 15, 2015, 12:18:45 PM

Yes, pretty much that in terms of work.  Unfortunately, Path of Exile does not appear to have a OSX port.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:51 PM

I'm still "that guy" holding out over privacy concerns and the lack of control over my operating system.

Yeah. Well, it's a comfy rocking chair on a comfy porch. Get yer "it's a service not a purchase" offa my lawn!!
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #178 on: October 15, 2015, 02:49:46 PM

That privacy concern, I presume, is the latest kerfuffle in Germany over the Trusted Platform 2.0 stuff placed in Windows 8 and beyond. Don't worry, it seem there are plan to put it in Windows 7 too. I also think that its clear to everyone that the aliens have been coordinating with the CIA/PRC axis to leverage the knowledge needed to infiltrate your underwear drawer, so its just too late all around.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #179 on: October 15, 2015, 02:52:54 PM

Yeah, there's no avoiding any of that at this point. The only way around it is to buy and use items created prior to 2000.

Hell, your car is going to report you soon enough. Never mind that personal tracking & recording device everyone carries these days.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #180 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:57 PM

Microsoft through Windows 10 is basically trying to be Google. It sends as much data about what you are doing on the computer it possibly can by default. Seriously.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: October 15, 2015, 04:54:48 PM

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #182 on: October 15, 2015, 04:56:37 PM

Good job Microsoft. Now I have to turn off Automatic Updates on all of my Windows boxes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #183 on: October 15, 2015, 05:05:08 PM

Guess the age old "apologies are easier than asking permission" applies... Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #184 on: October 15, 2015, 09:05:43 PM

Ya, we got a note from our main campus Microsoft 'person'. Not officially with MS, but he's such an advocate that he borders on the cultist. Today he berated the whole university IT staff for not immediately upgrading to Windows 10. He honestly tried to shame sys admins across the entire campus into ditching Windows 7 'unless there's a known compatibility' as soon as humanly possible because of 'reasons'.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: October 16, 2015, 06:16:06 AM

Seriously, he is right. If you have no legacy compatability issues and you are still refusing upgrade you are just a stubborn grognard.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: October 16, 2015, 07:24:12 AM

Sometimes you don't know there is a compatibility issue until you upgrade...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #187 on: October 16, 2015, 07:41:30 AM

Seriously, he is right. If you have no legacy compatability issues and you are still refusing upgrade you are just a stubborn grognard.

I'm a stubborn grognard and don't trust Microsoft any more than Trojans bearing free gifts.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #188 on: October 16, 2015, 08:06:29 AM

For personal users, I'd agree with this. For IT level sys admin dudes? Fuck yes, I'd be hesitant to allow an entire network to upgrade without the user's knowledge. The shit that could break organization wide is just goddamn frightening. My sys admin only allowed a few of us to upgrade as guinea pigs. No way he was letting the whole operation just upgrade wily-nily. And he's only dealing with about 50 users or so.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: October 16, 2015, 08:24:27 AM

The thing is that while Windows 10 is awesome and everyone should probably upgrade their personal machines, they are spoiling the good will by being annoyingly over aggressive (nag me once a week, not every damn day) and doing amateur shit that makes people lose confidence in them (the optional update that's checked by default).
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:22 AM

Given the amount of fuck stupid patching and security blankets quilted into the network here in my dept at this university, I am still shocked we are on WIN7. WIN10 would break everything in the dept given the amount of bullshit that happens when system administrators release normal WIN7 updates to our computers. It is astounding how long it takes now to get network drives up on my work PC after a restart (hours now).

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #191 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:45 AM

MS has never been particularly careful to ensure compatibility with anything other than its own products. Email clients, for example. We use an IMAP unix based system that worked just fine till Outlook 2013. Although still technically having IMAP support, it doesn't allow folder selection for sent mail. You have to use their default folder name or you can't. Naturally, unix based mail has its own named folder for that, and its been this way since at least the 90s, possibly as far back as the 80s, so we're holding most of the staff back from using Office 2013, never mind 2016.

The sad part is that its clearly intentionally done. It wouldn't take much to use the older system where you could direct your sent mail to whatever folder on the server you'd like, but they don't do it, because they want to push everyone onto their exchange platform.

Lastly, I don't -like- Windows 10. I use it at work, alternating between it and Linux Mint as my desktop, and I so prefer Windows 7. Stop putting system settings in 2 different places. Either kill the Control Panel or don't, but don't muck it up with a new Settings section that's entirely divorced from it.

That said, I don't doubt for a moment that Windows 10 works better with existing hardware, knows how to take advantage of emerging hardware better than Windows 7 will; it is, after all, the leading edge of OS platform development. But don't tell me that the UI is better. Not only is that a somewhat subjective evaluation, I can demonstrate quite quickly that something I can do in 2 steps in Windows 7 takes 4-8 steps in Windows 8-10.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #192 on: October 16, 2015, 08:44:56 AM

The thing is that while Windows 10 is awesome and everyone should probably upgrade their personal machines, they are spoiling the good will by being annoyingly over aggressive (nag me once a week, not every damn day) and doing amateur shit that makes people lose confidence in them (the optional update that's checked by default).

Or in other words, being Microsoft.

Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: October 16, 2015, 09:58:14 AM

Lastly, I don't -like- Windows 10. I use it at work, alternating between it and Linux Mint as my desktop, and I so prefer Windows 7. Stop putting system settings in 2 different places. Either kill the Control Panel or don't, but don't muck it up with a new Settings section that's entirely divorced from it.

That said, I don't doubt for a moment that Windows 10 works better with existing hardware, knows how to take advantage of emerging hardware better than Windows 7 will; it is, after all, the leading edge of OS platform development. But don't tell me that the UI is better. Not only is that a somewhat subjective evaluation, I can demonstrate quite quickly that something I can do in 2 steps in Windows 7 takes 4-8 steps in Windows 8-10.

I was wondering if it was just my lack of knowledge of WIN10 and not knowing the shortcuts to stuff. I guess not and it actually does take a fishing expedition to find anything in WIN10 pertaining to control panel stuff.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #194 on: October 16, 2015, 11:22:19 AM

It really just took an attempt to configure a wireless connection in W10 for me to dislike the whole thing.  This was before I became OSXified, so that wasn't a factor.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #195 on: October 16, 2015, 11:33:23 AM

Finding the control panel in Win 10 is a goddamn pain in the ass, this is utterly true.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #196 on: October 16, 2015, 12:39:17 PM

You mean control panels, yes?  Plural.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: October 16, 2015, 01:13:42 PM

You mean control panels, yes?  Plural.

The funny thing is, when the MS sales engineers gave us a presentation of the preview in June, they said all of that would be unified and there would only be one location at the time of general release.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: October 16, 2015, 03:23:00 PM

Yeah, and they told me I'd have a OneDrive client worth a fuck by now. 

Don't listen to them.  Ever.  They're a bunch of lying dickbags.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #199 on: October 16, 2015, 03:37:32 PM

People forget that sales engineers are salesmen first.

Salesmen do nothing but lie.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: October 16, 2015, 03:48:05 PM

Right click the Windows button on the task bar for quick access to the usual shit.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: October 16, 2015, 04:06:01 PM

Right click the Windows button on the task bar for quick access to the usual shit.
No man, don't make it easy for them.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: October 16, 2015, 04:30:57 PM

Cortana will drag out settings for you as well if you ask her, she's fairly clever.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #203 on: October 16, 2015, 08:55:41 PM

What in the fuck gives any indication that you can do that? I had never seen that until I read your post. Now I want to cockstab someone at Microsoft.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: October 16, 2015, 09:09:54 PM

I thought "when in doubt, Right Click the shit out of everything" had been a fairly standard thing in windows since XP?   Context menus and options for stuff has been on right click for ages.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: October 16, 2015, 09:15:36 PM

What in the fuck gives any indication that you can do that? I had never seen that until I read your post. Now I want to cockstab someone at Microsoft.

That was what they put in for Win 8.1/Server 2012R2 to make it usable as a desktop OS.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: October 17, 2015, 04:16:10 AM

I didn't know about the right-click either.  But I'm not a code monkey.  Makes me like 10 even better.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #207 on: October 17, 2015, 07:01:07 AM

So perhaps a silly question, but how much of my configuration would I lose from upgrading to 10 - is it essentially like an OS wipe? Am I going to lose the other non-Windows 8.1 data on my OS partition?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
disKret
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: October 17, 2015, 10:08:30 AM

So perhaps a silly question, but how much of my configuration would I lose from upgrading to 10 - is it essentially like an OS wipe? Am I going to lose the other non-Windows 8.1 data on my OS partition?

You lose nothing. Everything will stay the same except "the look".
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: October 17, 2015, 10:51:47 AM

Finally pushed the button on the home game machine.  I've had my laptop and work machine on 10 for a while, so I was ok with the process and the newness of it.  Upgraded to pristine clean Win10 in around 15 minutes and now my gronky games are actually flying in terms of performance.

I'm a happy chappie right now.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Windows 10  
Jump to: