Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 08:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crusader Kings II  (Read 136084 times)
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 14, 2012, 11:08:32 AM

I'm pretty sure i lasted several generations in Capua.

I am the .00000001428%
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #141 on: April 15, 2012, 09:20:26 PM

I had a pretty epic game down there in CK1 but I haven't tried to recapture that yet in 2.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #142 on: April 16, 2012, 06:22:53 AM

1.05 sounds juicy. I think once the update hits, I'm going to start a game as a smallish duke or multi-count in the HRE just to play with the new plotting options.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 17, 2012, 09:19:25 AM

Nice update

http://store.steampowered.com/news/7753/

- Can now only repeat the same plot type, not ambitions

No more getting 30 for administration in a wealthy kingdom.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:46 PM

This is a much better "Game of Thrones" game than the actual Game of Thrones game.  That would make a hell of a mod too.

I am the .00000001428%
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #145 on: April 17, 2012, 08:08:28 PM

There was a really great Westeros mod for Cruader Kings.  I'm sure someone is working on one for CKII.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: April 18, 2012, 03:42:39 AM

- All factions in civil wars are now hostile to outside attackers

Ouch, there goes my favorite expansion method (especially against England which seems to have a civil war very often in the first half of the game)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:01 AM

There was a really great Westeros mod for Cruader Kings.  I'm sure someone is working on one for CKII.

The guy who did it said he's not going to do one for CK2.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: October 20, 2012, 02:24:27 AM

Another expansion apparently came out this week and I totally didn't notice because of all the Blood Bowl excitement.  If you were as oblivious as me, the overview is here:

http://www.crusaderkings.com/news/2012/8/crusader-kings-ii-legacy-of-rome-expansion-announced

I loaded up a Sweden game this evening that was from before this, so I didn't see any of the Byzantium-specific stuff, but the new ambitions are kind of cool.  I was tangled in a bunch of holy wars in Iberia (don't ask), so I was totally poor and unable to really try out the new retinue button, but that looks interesting too. 

Plus you can apparently blind and/or castrate people if you are Byzantine.   ACK!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: October 20, 2012, 07:32:15 AM

I still have an irrational dislike for the band Kings of Leon because of this game.

I am the .00000001428%
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: December 09, 2012, 10:15:41 AM

As a 60 year old king of Ireland and Wales you pass the kingdom of Wales to your eldest son so that both kingdoms will stay in your grasp once the nearing inevitable death comes (otherwise Wales would have been inherited by the second son)
Next thing you know the new king of Wales is asking for your support in war against England he started in support of some minor noble's claim on an english county as if the few thousand men Wales can muster could do anything against England's 15k man stack of doom swamp poop

Sometimes this game just infuriates me so much (but atleast it keeps being interesting)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #151 on: December 09, 2012, 02:16:49 PM

I enjoy this game but at the same time I'm always sure I'm playing it wrong. I mean I just marry off people for amusement but its like I don't have any goal I'm trying to really accomplish.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #152 on: December 09, 2012, 05:23:22 PM

Next thing you know the new king of Wales is asking for your support in war against England he started

Just tell Junior he can take care of his own mess. It's not like losing an offensive war will cost him any land.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: December 10, 2012, 04:37:34 AM

I enjoy this game but at the same time I'm always sure I'm playing it wrong. I mean I just marry off people for amusement but its like I don't have any goal I'm trying to really accomplish.

No, you're doing it right.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: December 10, 2012, 05:11:35 AM

Next thing you know the new king of Wales is asking for your support in war against England he started

Just tell Junior he can take care of his own mess. It's not like losing an offensive war will cost him any land.

it's just that the Junior is making a pretty bad impression on a neighbor who will probably return the favor (with interest) sooner or later instead of just continuing to focus on France (which will mean that I have to more careful when making a move on Scotland since England might actually side with them)

tl;dr:pissing off a big neighbor is bad 
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 10, 2012, 07:13:58 AM

One of the benefits of being an emperor is that you can pass on king titles and not really worry about about it.  That is until someone becomes the king of France and Scotland ACK!. Thankfully the poor 7 years old kid is 2000 florins in debt and fighting three different wars.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #156 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:26 PM

I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread, but they've announced the next expansion, titled The Republic.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:29 AM

I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread, but they've announced the next expansion, titled The Republic.

It's the third expansion for CK2 so it doesn't need its own thread since this thread is still pretty short.

(but I will buy this just like I've bought everything else for this game except for some music that I forgot to add but will once this hits steam)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: December 12, 2012, 05:43:25 AM

Fourth. Nobody noticed the Aztec Invasion one? :D
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #159 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:42 AM

The guy who did it said he's not going to do one for CK2.

Dunno if he's the same guy, but I've just taken a couple pics of this thing....

awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real  (they will include Essos once Paradox releases the Republic DLC)

Link:
http://ck2agot.wordpress.com/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #160 on: January 06, 2013, 12:25:12 AM

I finally bought this on the Steam sale and booted it up tonight. HOLY FUCK. This game is dense. Like super dense. Should I have jumped right in or should I go back and play the tutorial?

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: January 06, 2013, 01:03:16 AM

The tutorial is useless. Read the Internet or learn by mucking about.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: January 06, 2013, 01:46:55 AM

or watch some videos on youtube.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: January 06, 2013, 01:58:21 AM

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/  is a pretty good overview.   

My Sweden game finally crashed and burned in about 1415, with not really enough time on the clock to fix it (failed assassination, my guy got reprisal assassinated (he murdered two babies, so I GUESS he deserved it), then HIS heir died, and the whole half-an-empire I had left and was trying to reunite just sort of became the crumbs of Denmark due to lack of actual heirs, oh well).  But just in time to start a new game when the Republic DLC comes out, I suppose!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:01:02 AM by proudft »
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #164 on: January 08, 2013, 12:38:01 AM

Also, Haemish, feel confident that a lot of the fiddly stuff isn't really that important to fiddle with.

I play the game wrong, though, it's basically just a matchmaking simulator for me.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:34 AM

I finally bought this on the Steam sale and booted it up tonight. HOLY FUCK. This game is dense. Like super dense. Should I have jumped right in or should I go back and play the tutorial?

Play the tutorials, they're not useless for learning your basic "how do I navigate to someone I want to facestab?" stuff.
Don't play as Ireland or England at the 1065 start dates.  Ireland is a fucking wreck, as you can probably tell if you look at the map, and England is in the middle of war with no less than three declared kings.
Learn your succession laws.
Abuse the fuck out of ships.  They move faster than ground armies, and the embark/disembark time is very short.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:53:29 AM by Sheepherder »
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: January 08, 2013, 09:24:51 AM

Had a pretty epic moment a couple of weeks ago before I went on vacation, playing Kingdom of Trebizond. was doing OK, Managed to carve out a duchy out of Turkey during their civil wars, full Duchy of Crimia, and also conquer Bulgaria & Wallachia but that was a load of trouble half the land & dukes were a Nestorian heresy, so major work in progress. The ERE was doing OK too so I wasn't in a position to challenge them yet (keeping Serbia, Greece, Nicosia, and Georgia together).

So on a succession, there was a predictably a huge crisis when a weak heir tookover. The rebel faction was not independent minded but pressing the claim of my brother, or nephew or something, so I don't even know if I woulda gotten game over or if he would become a playable king since he was of my dynasty.

The war was going poorly I'd managed to disperse some of their armies in Bulgaria but another significant one was taking turf in my homeland in Trebizond and my armies were at their last strength, all that remained relatively intact was my household retinue of 2500 cataphracts. So I start transporting them back home, land them in a neighbouring province and facing 3:1 odds launch the charge hoping for a divine victory, disperse this army and maybe raise some new levies, but still facing a fairly hopeless situation.

Not only do the Cataphracts win, tearing through the greater rebel levies, they capture the ducal leader of the rebellion! The crowns are saved, glory to the Komnenos! The rebels are releasedto buy some temporary peace, and less than a year later, the sickly, weak and tyrannical king dies a natural death and a more capable  young man replaces him, resolved to bring these heretic dukes to heel.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: January 08, 2013, 01:40:13 PM

Only the direct lineage of the ruler are heirs iirc. If you don't have a child/grandchild prepare for game over.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:05 PM

Only the direct lineage of the ruler are heirs iirc. If you don't have a child/grandchild prepare for game over.

Nah, it can be anyone from your dynasty I am pretty sure. As long as the last name is the same you should be safe.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #169 on: January 08, 2013, 04:27:37 PM

Yeah, I've had brothers inherit before, and I've had uncles in line for the throne and it not be all WARNING: HEIR NOT OF YOUR DYNASTY or whatever.

God Save the Horn Players
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #170 on: January 10, 2013, 04:54:12 AM

I desperately want to like this game. I liked reading the LP posted earlier.

Then I go and try to play the demo and last about 5 minutes - I guess there's just way too much going on for my tastes.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I picked some duchess in Italy to start as. I had her propose to some priest (how you can marry a catholic bishop I'm not sure), and then saw I could create the duchy of Modena...I quit when faced with having to somehow pick someone to give the title too.  swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #171 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:43 AM

Catholic priests weren't necessarily celibate in the Middle Ages. Many were landholders as well as married.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: January 10, 2013, 12:21:07 PM

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:54 PM

In my latest playthrough I had a bishop as my Spymaster at one point.  He was excellent at arranging assassinations.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #174 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:31 PM

The Republic DLC will be released today, $9.99; patch 1.09 already published (with a shitload of notes :D):

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?657220-1.09-Patch-Notes

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/crusader-kings-ii-the-republic

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Crusader Kings II  
Jump to: