Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:25:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 121 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  (Read 957792 times)
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1610 on: October 15, 2014, 01:21:02 PM

I'm looking forward to when they merge the code. Surely nothing can go wrong there.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1611 on: October 15, 2014, 07:32:34 PM

Google translate, and Google meters <-> feet, easy peasy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1612 on: October 16, 2014, 09:09:40 AM

I'm looking forward to when they merge the code. Surely nothing can go wrong there.

That's already been happening all along. Just FYI.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1613 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:29 AM

MrBloodworth, without trying to re-open an argument, I have a honest question for you that has nothing to do with the final quality of the product, which we all hope it'll be great.

So here's the question: considering that you, as me and everyone else here, have been following games for around thirty years and have seen literally everything happening, and have read about the next incredible game about a million times, WHY are you believing everything you read about Star Citizen?

Mind, the question is not about the state of the game or anything. None of us work at CIG so none of us knows how things really are, and none of us can see the future so everything they say *could* be true but also not true. But how come you hold no skepticism at all in this particular instance, considering lots of the things they are promising and claiming to be working on are extremely ambitious?

And we are back to my question: how come YOU (and some others, but I am asking you) how come you have no skepticism at all and believe everything they say and publish so completely? I wish I had your faith, so here I'm asking. How come, even with all your experience in the field, you chose to believe everything they are hyping this particular one time? I am genuinely curious and not in a trollish way.

And please PLEASE don't tell me "this guy made good games twenty years ago".

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:37 AM

MrBloodworth, without trying to re-open an argument, I have a honest question for you that has nothing to do with the final quality of the product, which we all hope it'll be great.

So here's the question: considering that you, as me and everyone else here, have been following games for around thirty years and have seen literally everything happening, and have read about the next incredible game about a million times, WHY are you believing everything you read about Star Citizen?

Mind, the question is not about the state of the game or anything. None of us work at CIG so none of us knows how things really are, and none of us can see the future so everything they say *could* be true but also not true. But how come you hold no skepticism at all in this particular instance, considering lots of the things they are promising and claiming to be working on are extremely ambitious?

And we are back to my question: how come YOU (and some others, but I am asking you) how come you have no skepticism at all and believe everything they say and publish so completely? I wish I had your faith, so here I'm asking. How come, even with all your experience in the field, you chose to believe everything they are hyping this particular one time? I am genuinely curious and not in a trollish way.

And please PLEASE don't tell me "this guy made good games twenty years ago".

You misinterpret me. I Have my skepticism, I just no longer voice them here. Its pointless, there would be no conversation to be had.  I have always enjoyed talking about things, instead of just being cynical. Being cynical is easy, infinitely easy compared to creating something.  Also, just because I don't inflate my criticisms to the heights some here do, does not man I have none. I also understand, some of the greatest games ever, were also some of the most ambitious.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1615 on: October 17, 2014, 09:57:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I asked what I asked because it seems to me that everytime someone (cynically, easily) raises some doubts, you respond with some official CIG claims, and I don't understand how those claims hold any validity in your opinion. But again, thanks for clarifying a bit.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: October 17, 2014, 12:01:32 PM

If you want transparency on one hand, but dismiss the info coming out of that transparency in the other. Well, I can't help you.

The idea that "code merge" happens only at the end, is just false. I have the client on my machine, that client has elements already in and integrated from all the development houses. It's right in front of me. No one at CIG needed to tell me this. Even if they have in the weekly and monthly reports.

Malakili wanted to see the demo from only first person, the video I linked, was run without the streaming software over top ( removing a ton of the hitching ), and happened to be all in first person.   Head scratch

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1617 on: October 17, 2014, 03:50:36 PM

Its pointless, there would be no conversation to be had.  
Ha, we've got terabytes of threads that say otherwise  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

In all seriousness, I've always loved how each game that comes through here gets at least one ambassador.

Video looked purdy.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1618 on: October 18, 2014, 02:06:24 PM

I've always loved how each game that comes through here gets at least one ambassador.

Otherwise it doesn't come through here, no?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #1619 on: October 18, 2014, 04:53:22 PM

I've always loved how each game that comes through here gets at least one ambassador.

Otherwise it doesn't come through here, no?

Thank you Schrödinger, I meant someone who covers it as a subject matter expert  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #1620 on: October 24, 2014, 08:36:12 PM

So the studio that's working on the "FPS module" of SC had an AMA on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

The snake oil is turned up to 11. Just a taste of it here:

Can you provide an example of the kind of gameplay experience you're looking for? Maybe a description of what an encounter between two players might be like in terms of lethality, weapons used, moves used, length of play, etc?

There are so many. lets just pull one randomly from the sky. A Persistent Universe experience. I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

And here...

What games are you drawing mechanical inspiration from?

A mixture of Counter-Strike, Rainbow Six, Arma, Delta Force, Kill Zone

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1621 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:53 PM

All that crate hiding, and they didn't even mention MGS? Disappoint.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1622 on: October 25, 2014, 01:35:01 AM

I do find the thought of endless naive players excitedly hiding themselves in boxes, waiting for hours on end for SOMEBODY to please take them, highly amusing.  Especially the moment they realize that every scavenger crew just opens all the boxes and executes anybody they find before hauling the loot.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 02:50:36 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1623 on: October 25, 2014, 02:19:48 AM

It's going to be the best FPS game and the best stealth game, in addition to being the best space game.

I'm pretty sure at this point if someone asked "will there be kart racing?" they'd end up promising to deliver kart racing in which you can build your karts from scratch in a fully operational workshop.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1624 on: October 25, 2014, 05:44:55 AM

Will there be catapults?

What can we put in our catapults?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1625 on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:08 AM

maybe this will come out and be an ok space sim idk
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1626 on: October 25, 2014, 07:31:08 AM

I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

I mean, there's a 0% chance something like this ends up in the game right?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1627 on: October 25, 2014, 08:31:26 AM

I'm a stealthy, solo player. I find a wrecked ship, i know scavengers will be around soon. I find a crate and put myself in it. I let the scavengers take the crate and put me in their ship. When i'm on their ship, some time later, i get out of the crate. Very quietly, i rummage around and find some goodies i like. I steal those... now i can either - A) Jump out the airlock and call a ride or B) go to their engine room and self destruct their ship or C) quietly hunt and execute the entire staff and take their ship.... or Z) they could have scanned the crate properly before loading it, blasted it with their ship and me with it....

I mean, there's a 0% chance something like this ends up in the game right?
Not only that, but it's proof, to me at least, these people are perpetrators of a fraud.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1628 on: October 25, 2014, 09:28:44 AM

Again, I still don't think its fraud/scam.  Just people with glory in their eyes and blinded to how hard pulling something like that off actually is.  They sound just like the Horizon's guys in early development, who I also feel really believed in what they were doing.

Is there a word for the Fraud equivalent of Manslaughter/Criminally Negligent?  Now that might be appropriate.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1629 on: October 25, 2014, 09:41:31 AM

maybe this will come out and be an ok space sim idk

Nope.
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:50 AM

Imagine you can land on a planet featuring a thriving economy. You enter a brothel because your Randy meter is getting high. Now, you face some interesting decisions. Do you a) pay the mistress for the three-breasted prostitute b) sneak up the side of the building and observe unannounced c) bring your security detail to claim all the women before an immediate evacuation?

If you choose a female avatar, we'll add a Hitachi shower head to your virtual bathroom.

Edit: Pft, should have went with the obvious. CIG opens new studio in Japan to add Dating Sim module.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:00:52 AM by Maven »
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1631 on: October 25, 2014, 10:39:03 AM

I rather just ... buy ships to sell ships to buy more ships to sell ships when the game is out.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1632 on: October 25, 2014, 03:47:30 PM

interestingly investments backed by potential future pixel starships is still more of a backing than bitcoin so i should consider expanding my portfolio into star citizen futures
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1633 on: October 25, 2014, 04:13:15 PM

Anyone who doesn't read item "C" on that list and immediately cry bullshit deserves to be fleeced.

Yes, you'll kill everyone, because Voice Comms, In-game channels and group health indicators aren't a thing.

Don't even try to say, "Well they're talking NPCs" because that's clearly a PVP comment, as the question asked was about the leathality between players.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Job601
Terracotta Army

Reply #1634 on: October 25, 2014, 05:09:45 PM

You guys clearly didn't read the AMA closely enough.  It's going to be the best FPS ever because it's going to be so realistic!  If you get shot in the arm you won't be able to use your gun,  but it's ok because you can get a cyber arm, but watch out, because some weapons get +1 against cyber arms.  I don't know what happens to your cyber arm if you die and respawn.  Do you get to respawn in this game? 
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #1635 on: October 25, 2014, 06:02:46 PM

it's also going to be the greatest jrpg guys

greatest. jrpg.

it'll also branch that element of gameplay off to the 3DS
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1636 on: October 25, 2014, 11:00:10 PM

Seriously this is like a giant joke.

The Horizons comparison is very apt. Its exactly like that except even less realistic.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1637 on: October 26, 2014, 04:43:13 AM

Anyone who doesn't read item "C" on that list and immediately cry bullshit deserves to be fleeced.

Yes, you'll kill everyone, because Voice Comms, In-game channels and group health indicators aren't a thing.

Don't even try to say, "Well they're talking NPCs" because that's clearly a PVP comment, as the question asked was about the leathality between players.

"C" especially doesn't make sense if you're talking PVP. How would you steal somebody's ship? Don't most of the backer's have some sort of lifetime insurance on their ships that will replace it if something happens? But the ship isn't destroyed here so if one player gets to keep the ship he stole, and the other player gets a replacement ship then it becomes an easy way to duplicate ships. This kind of thing seems like one of the many potential issues you get when everybody is working on different parts of the game and nobody seems to be thinking about how the game as a whole actually works.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: October 26, 2014, 07:06:12 AM

The ship gets replaced, but all the weapons, systems, and stuff inside don't.  Still a potential problem, but it's not entirely end-of-the-galaxy stuff.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1639 on: October 26, 2014, 07:28:42 AM

No, no. You kill everyone because you're the stealthy lone wolf type while they're just clueless carebears with no skill.

They may be crazy, but credit where it's due, they do know how to fellate their investors right to the verge of another donation.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1640 on: October 26, 2014, 09:22:38 AM

I'm pretty sure at this point if someone asked "will there be kart racing?" they'd end up promising to deliver kart racing in which you can build your karts from scratch in a fully operational workshop.

I'm pretty sure there are videos of a spaceship racing mode they implemented (or are working on).
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #1641 on: October 26, 2014, 02:11:14 PM

If you guys want unrealistic, the the document you're looking for was the Ultima Online site before the redesign.

The FAQ was insane. I wish I had a copy of it. Does anyone have one?

This is the document that said something about if you kill sheeps around Trinsic, the dragons from Destard would come out and move in toward the city to find things to eat.

I don't think the game described in that document has been made to this date.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1642 on: October 26, 2014, 05:14:49 PM

Raph has mentioned in the long ago past they had that in the early alpha or something and it was too problematic.  Having no respawn of mobs meant players destroyed the whole ecosystem within a day.  So they took that out and dropped it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #1643 on: October 26, 2014, 09:14:34 PM

I remember a lot of that stuff ending up in the paperback strategy guide that was released at the same time as the game.  I should dig it up out of one of my boxes of old books sometime.  It contained a lot of information that was clearly not in the game, but was probably around during some period of testing.  NPCs having likes and dislikes was one of them, including the possibility that they could become attracted to PCs.  Quite a few pages of the strategy guide were given over to what different varieties of NPCs liked or disliked as if it was some kind of sketchy npc dating service.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1644 on: October 26, 2014, 09:43:41 PM

Does it include blood type and astrological sign?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 121 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Chris Roberts Back in your wallet - STAR CITIZEN  
Jump to: