Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 04:40:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 82 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cracks starting to show?  (Read 557472 times)
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2310 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:28 PM

Isn't there an MMO out there that your character is technically 'three' little characters?

They'll find a way to make zerg work.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2311 on: August 04, 2011, 03:38:49 PM

The whole TBC experience was Horde-friendly.  Wrath balanced things out as being more Alliance-friendly.  Cata screwed everybody  why so serious?

I know you're semi-joking, but TBC was much more Horde friendly than Wrath was Alliance friendly. The Horde had reasons to give a fuck about Outland, the Alliance really didn't, as the draenei are horribly developed, and even they had no clear reason to give a fuck about Outland. At least in WotLK, yeah Arthas had been a human paladin and Tirion is a human paladin, but everyone had a reason to want to see Arthas dead and everyone had reasons to give a fuck about Northrend. And Cataclysm is basically Horde: The Expansion. Alliance has reasons to give a shit, but the expansion does a much better job Horde-side than Alliance-side with it.

God Save the Horn Players
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2312 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:36 PM

Isn't there an MMO out there that your character is technically 'three' little characters?

The Gibberling race was awesome. I loved how all three of them would contribute differently whenever you cast a spell or performed some other action in-battle (example). It's too bad Allods had all sorts of sketchy stuff going on with their cash shop, Gibberlings were a really cool twist on player characters.

/derail

I remember Nagrand fondly because it was one of the last quest zones I can remember that actually encouraged grouping at the end. 80-85 was a 100% solo affair and that was pretty boring. Nagrand also gets high points for being extremely pretty and for having lots of cool enemy models. If you actually look at the quests, it's kind of a shitty zone. Ta'laar was a total failure as well. Just goes to show you how important atmosphere is an an MMO. HFP probably had superior quests to Nagrand, but most people probably remember Nagrand much more fondly.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2313 on: August 04, 2011, 04:56:23 PM

Ta'laar was a total failure as well.

Telaar was okay, Halaa was borked.  Hand in your nerd card.

Nagrand was uniformly pretty and awesome to look at.  I liked Dragon's End too, but it's not pretty, just fucking awesome.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #2314 on: August 04, 2011, 05:06:15 PM

Telaar was okay, Halaa was borked.  Hand in your nerd card.

Cry
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #2315 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57:28 PM

Human/Zerg hybrids galore!
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2316 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:09 PM

Nagrand, at least from the horde side, had an enormously long quest chain that had prerequisite chains in other zones, all of which culminated with bringing Thrall to meet his grandmother.

So yeah.  I liked Nagrand.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:06:10 PM by Soulflame »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2317 on: August 04, 2011, 11:41:33 PM

Yea, the Alliance didn't get anything that neat in Nagrand.  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2318 on: August 05, 2011, 05:54:35 AM

Neat?  We got Corki.  It was enough to make me want to join the Horde.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2319 on: August 05, 2011, 06:24:45 AM

Neat?  We got Corki.  It was enough to make me want to join the Horde.

This is the last time! I promise!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2320 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:16 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I used to kill Corki every so often.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2321 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:25 AM

It really does.  My only regret is that I wasn't there to see it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2322 on: August 05, 2011, 09:21:49 AM

Any time I'm in Nagrand on a Horde character I kill whichever variant of Corki I'm nearest to.

Fucker is just too dumb to let live.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2323 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:08 AM

Cataclysm is basically Horde: The Expansion

This. I don't really have any urge to pay $15 per month to play one of the fall guys in Metzen's personal Mary Sue fantasy.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #2324 on: August 05, 2011, 10:53:24 AM

Truth be told this is just another desperation move to retain players/grab new ones.  They are just running out of things the fans have been asking for now they added goblins,worgen and deathwing, pandaren are really the last unexplored bit in the whole wowverse besides sargeras and he'll be the last expac anyways.

They're nowhere near close to running out of material for expansions. Like you mentioned, the biggest is that players have only lightly poked the Burning Legion in side quest areas and parts of Burning Crusade, there's whole planets of them out there, and Sargeras at the end of course. Emerald Dream just gets lightly touched in the occasional quest, it's still corrupt (though they may have solved that in a book). Outland is easy to travel from and has gateways to other dimensions, you could do a whole game around fighting with and against Ethereals while traveling with sparkly tube technology. The Naaruu just kind of turned up for BC without much back- or fore- story but seem to be almost gods. There's also the titans just kind of wandering around. The zones in WOW don't really cover all of the land on continents, and there are unexplored areas, and you can always 'cataclysm' an area for new stuff (especially boring areas like Arathi).

Not that I'd put an (ugh) Panderan expansion past them, but they're not really anywhere near out of hooks to hand expansion packs.

This. I don't really have any urge to pay $15 per month to play one of the fall guys in Metzen's personal Mary Sue fantasy.

I wouldn't mind Thrall ending up as the super-shaman who saves the world if they really did the story decently, but I'm not holding my breath on that after the last patch. "We need Thrall to save the world by doing this ritual on the world tree" "Oh noes he's captured" "We can save him, by seeing how cool and awsome he is, and how mean the alliance is to him", "Oh yay he's safe now he's going to get married to some orc woman and lets forget about the silly ritual."
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2325 on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:43 AM

I'm not seeing it, aside from maybe the Earthen Ring shit.  Care to explain?

I've been unsubbed a while.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2326 on: August 05, 2011, 11:01:46 AM

The usual Alliance whine is that they set all our zones on fire and gave them to the Horde.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2327 on: August 05, 2011, 11:15:13 AM

Ya, likewise.  When I left, the story was basically that all the Horde leaders everyone liked got put on a bus and were replaced with Hellscream waving his tumorous cock around.  I assumed they did that to give Alliance players a decent enemy, because he sure as fuck wasn't popular among the Horde.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #2328 on: August 05, 2011, 11:33:18 AM

I haven't forgiven them for killing Cairne off with nary an explanation other than "Garrosh is a dick".

When I unsub I'm listing that right at the top!

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2329 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:29 AM

I haven't forgiven them for killing Cairne off with nary an explanation other than "Garrosh is a dick".

When I unsub I'm listing that right at the top!

They turned Magni to stone and it barely gets mentioned outside of Children's Week of all things.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2330 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:23 AM

They turned Magni to stone and it barely gets mentioned outside of Children's Week of all things.

Yeah I saw that in children's week and went, "WHEN THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!"

Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #2331 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:07 PM

I thought it was mentioned in some of the flavor text when I was installing cataclysm.  Or maybe in the dwarf quest text.  Something.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2332 on: August 05, 2011, 12:27:13 PM

I thought it was mentioned in some of the flavor text when I was installing cataclysm.  Or maybe in the dwarf quest text.  Something.

Yeah but did it happen in the game. Was this one of those novel things? Was it one of WUA's dreams come to life?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2333 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:55 PM

Wikitext:
He is present at the Elemental Invasion meeting in Stormwind and informs the other Alliance leaders about the Tablets of Ulduar. During the exploration of Ulduar, the dwarves found a set of mystical tablets created by the Titans. Activating one such tablet to protect his people from the Cataclysm, King Magni Bronzebeard fell prey to a terrible curse that fused his statue-liked form into the diamond heart of Ironforge itself. To compound this tragedy, Magni's estranged daughter Moira returned, claiming her Father's throne for herself and for her infant dark iron son. In an effort to prevent turmoil breaking out, the Council of Three Hammers is established to succeed Magni.

There's jack squat about it in the game in Ulduar. Probably the novel that let everyone know Thrall was awesome and totally not a wishy-washy douchebag.  That's where they killed Cairne too, wasn't it?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2334 on: August 05, 2011, 12:57:24 PM

They killed Cairne in a novel???

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2335 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:14 PM

I thought so, but I could be mistaken.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2336 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:36 PM

Um..yeah...they did.  I rather liked the novel too.  Sets up Cataclysm right nicely it did.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2337 on: August 05, 2011, 01:10:28 PM

Honestly, that shit needs to fucking stop. If they're going to put it in your crappy novels, at the barest minimum thet should get their machinima team to throw together a quick cutscene for the paying customers as well.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #2338 on: August 05, 2011, 01:35:15 PM

Pfft...don't look now...TOR's already crankin' out novels that you'll want to read if you 'really' want to get the lore down  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2339 on: August 05, 2011, 01:47:15 PM

Um..yeah...they did.  I rather liked the novel too.  Sets up Cataclysm right nicely it did.

That's horseshit.

Pantastic
Terracotta Army

Reply #2340 on: August 05, 2011, 01:51:29 PM

Thrall is now some kind of super-shaman who's better at doing shaman stuff than anyone else, including aspects and demi-gods. Also, since Garrosh is in charge now all the fighting between Horde and Alliance isn't his fault. Also, the players had a quest to hook him up with a hot chick who's totally going to have his babies.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2341 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:05 PM

The usual Alliance whine is that they set all our zones on fire and gave them to the Horde.

It's more "the Horde looks like it's winning everywhere, their leaders actually do things, and while both Malfurion and Thrall are technically "neutral," it's pretty obvious Green Jesus isn't." The "the Horde is winning" and "their leaders do shit" ones are the ones that bug me, as I could not possibly give less of a shit about Malfurion or Thrall. When you level up as Horde, you run into Garrosh or Sylvanas all the time. You know who they are and you know the direction they want to lead their people. You see them out in the world, leading. You don't get that at all as Alliance. And the one time the Alliance beats the Horde? The Horde experiences it, but the Alliance doesn't, because it's mostly the Silverpine Forsaken versus Worgen quests. Half of the Worgen lore in the game, the Worgen don't even get to see. And Gilneas is abandoned and forgotten, even after the "victory."

Honestly, I could deal with "the Horde is winning" better if the Alliance at least felt like it was going to make the Horde pay for every inch they take, but you don't really get that, especially if you're playing Alliance, which is the big mistake. You get the sense of "whelp." And really, the best illustration of "they put the Horde first in Cataclysm" is going to Twilight Highlands. Horde gets this big show, you're in this giant air fleet flying in there and shit goes down etc etc etc. Alliance? Fade to black, come up in the middle of a fight. None of your business how it started or how you got there.

Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #2342 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:46 PM

I got a guffaw out of that Thrall quest when he asks that orc chick to be his 'life-mate'. What a cheezy term. Couldn't they have came up with something that sounded a bit more, well, not that.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2343 on: August 05, 2011, 02:07:02 PM

I got a guffaw out of that Thrall quest when he asks that orc chick to be his 'life-mate'. What a cheezy term. Couldn't they have came up with something that sounded a bit more, well, not that.

War-consort?

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #2344 on: August 05, 2011, 02:12:04 PM

Ahh, that's another good example. Thrall shows up to help fix the giant night elf tree. This is apparently part of the Key to our Victory! And we need Thrall to help because he is totes awesome, you guys. But oh no! They took him and we have to save him, even if you don't give a shit about Thrall, Alliance people! We need him for YOUR tree!

And then he hooks up with Aggra and they never fix the fucking tree because who gives a shit, Thrall has found True Wuv, and that's what's really important!

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 82 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Cracks starting to show?  
Jump to: