Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:17:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  (Read 57046 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #175 on: December 25, 2013, 02:55:00 PM

Left 4 Dead 2 is free right now on the store, assuming you can actually connect.

I was wondering wtf was up with Steam.

Motherfuckers. That's why I can't get Football Manager 2014? /sadf

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #176 on: December 25, 2013, 03:02:26 PM

Hopefully they get it sorted; I was about to spend some cash.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 25, 2013, 03:31:30 PM

Managed to snag the L4D2 free, thanks Trippy.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 25, 2013, 04:05:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Trippy. Yet another game I will probably never play in my steam library  awesome, for real

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #179 on: December 25, 2013, 04:23:20 PM

Store seems to be better now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #180 on: December 25, 2013, 07:02:11 PM

Store is working. Finally made my first real game purchases - Football Manager 2014, Papers, Please and State of Decay. Also snagged Hearts of Iron 3 on Amazon for $2.50 (the full collection was $30 if I wanted the Steam edition and I did) and managed to get Left 4 Dead 2 free as well.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #181 on: December 26, 2013, 12:19:24 PM

Apparently they aren't using AWS.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: December 26, 2013, 12:50:09 PM

They don't sell Football Manager 2014 in Germany ? Wtf ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #183 on: December 27, 2013, 08:05:17 AM

Woke up and people had voted on Dream over Deadly Premonition. :(
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #184 on: December 27, 2013, 08:36:47 AM

I figure the only way you can avoid being disappointed by people is to stop waking up.  I'm just about there myself.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #185 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:59 AM

I have no idea what to vote on, it all looks like indie crap for the most part.

Did I mention how much I hate that indie often = stupid platformer?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #186 on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:30 AM

The flash sales and vote sale choices have almost all been indie stuff and what wasn't indie has been mostly disappointing.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #187 on: December 27, 2013, 10:13:19 AM

Was going to buy Don't Starve for $1.19 - adding some other stuff to the cart, came back and it was $5.09. Removed it. Went back to the main page, then the store page and the 2-pack was $1.79. Added that to the cart. Went back to something else, it changed prices to $7.49. WTF?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #188 on: December 27, 2013, 10:27:59 AM

Was going to buy Don't Starve for $1.19 - adding some other stuff to the cart, came back and it was $5.09. Removed it. Went back to the main page, then the store page and the 2-pack was $1.79. Added that to the cart. Went back to something else, it changed prices to $7.49. WTF?

PRICE CHECK FAIL

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 27, 2013, 01:58:58 PM

Is Fallen Enchantress any good? If so, should I buy just the new expansion, or is the original worth playing?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #190 on: December 27, 2013, 02:00:28 PM

Stardock.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 27, 2013, 02:08:01 PM

Debating snagging Prison Architect at $15...

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 27, 2013, 02:10:03 PM

Is Fallen Enchantress any good? If so, should I buy just the new expansion, or is the original worth playing?

I haven't played the base game, only played about 24h on the expansion (which is a standalone game) but in my opinion:

It's... okay... it's like a crappier version of Fall From Heaven without any of the diversity.  It looks nice, and there are some cool things it does (town building feels fun to me, and heroes are way more manageable than they were in FFH, and it's got Master of Magic style tactical battles).

My biggest gripe is that the engine seems really shaky... like I'm perpetually thirty seconds away from a crash.  It does crash a lot, but it also has a lot of weird bugs where the game just stops and you don't know if it's frozen or what and then a few seconds later it starts up again.  When I hit "next turn" the mouse cursor changes to an hourglass to show that the CPU's thinking, then changes back to normal to show that the CPU's done, then freezes for a second or two before the next turn starts.  I don't know if that's normal, but the whole thing just feels shaky as hell.  It's not the worst game ever or anything, but it's nowhere near the level of Master of Magic or Fall From Heaven.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:48 PM

I haven't played the base game, only played about 24h on the expansion (which is a standalone game) but in my opinion:

It's... okay... it's like a crappier version of Fall From Heaven without any of the diversity.  It looks nice, and there are some cool things it does (town building feels fun to me, and heroes are way more manageable than they were in FFH, and it's got Master of Magic style tactical battles).

My biggest gripe is that the engine seems really shaky... like I'm perpetually thirty seconds away from a crash.  It does crash a lot, but it also has a lot of weird bugs where the game just stops and you don't know if it's frozen or what and then a few seconds later it starts up again.  When I hit "next turn" the mouse cursor changes to an hourglass to show that the CPU's thinking, then changes back to normal to show that the CPU's done, then freezes for a second or two before the next turn starts.  I don't know if that's normal, but the whole thing just feels shaky as hell.  It's not the worst game ever or anything, but it's nowhere near the level of Master of Magic or Fall From Heaven.
Stardock.
Ok, gonna pass. Thanks.

schild
Administrator

Reply #194 on: December 27, 2013, 02:14:22 PM

I'm pissed that Anno still has Tages.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #195 on: December 27, 2013, 02:15:52 PM

Yeah fucking Ubisoft, though UPlay isn't much better.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #196 on: December 27, 2013, 02:16:24 PM

I hate Fallen Enchantress because it fails to do what it promised during development; bring Master of Magic to the 3d realm.  None of the unit or even race diversity. Shitty, shitty below-indy models and a beyond horrible technology tree.

It's like Wardell never played the original, just heard it was Civs with turn-based combat.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #197 on: December 27, 2013, 02:22:53 PM

Yeah fucking Ubisoft, though UPlay isn't much better.

I have very few problems now with UPlay's interaction with Steam other than when it updates. That being said, I will never buy an Ubisoft game for more than $10 because of it.

Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 27, 2013, 03:04:11 PM

I have 171 hours of play according to Steam, but I think $10 is too much to pay for it(!).  We have a thread about the original and it has gotten less worse technically but still isn't a good game by any stretch.  I played the expansion (Fallen Enchantress) mainly to see how steam would handle a badly implemented game.  Good news is that it probably won't crash on your or destroy itself like the original.  Bad news is that the game is still largely interesting for its potential rather than what it actually shows you through the gameplay.  Oh, and it takes a god's age to get through a game, the game is slow even when there is nothing for you to do as the turns crawl by.

3+ years on and the expansion contains the start of what could become a good game... but at this point the graphics are woeful, occasionally the AI still forgets to play its turns, the pacing and power are uneven, it will still crash - even on Steam, often the achievements won't trigger, sometimes scripted events in the world won't trigger, etc. etc. etc.  Don't play this and definitely don't go find and play the original.
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

Damn, I was about to pull the trigger on Fallen Enchantress  Heartbreak

Farcry 3 any good?

All I've bought this time around is DLC for Van Helsing.

BTW, WTF - I went to play my copy of L4D2 that I bought via the UK - it's now installed with the Aussie censorship even though it had the original content when I first played it.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
schild
Administrator

Reply #200 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:23 PM

So I bought the DLC for Van Helsing also, played through as a Thaumaturge.

I can't recommend that to other people. The vast majority of epic/unique items you get from sidequests and such are Hunter-Only. Which is super obnoxious. Why they didn't get replaced based on the character you've chosen is beyond me.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:53 PM

I have no idea what to vote on, it all looks like indie crap for the most part.

Did I mention how much I hate that indie often = stupid platformer?

I am so sick of platformers. If I click on an indie title and the genre says platformer, I stop there.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #202 on: December 28, 2013, 10:54:21 AM

Just a head's up on Brothers:  I'm pretty sure it's part of PSN+ for January, so don't buy if you want for free there.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #203 on: December 28, 2013, 10:55:08 AM

I saw Rome 2 once in a vote, and it didn't get picked. Otherwise I haven't seen it up on the sales, or AC3, which was the other one I wanted.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #204 on: December 28, 2013, 11:01:56 AM

Just a head's up on Brothers:  I'm pretty sure it's part of PSN+ for January, so don't buy if you want for free there.
Speaking of heads-ups, the description of Snow says it's early access for a f2p game...so you probably shouldn't drop $7.50 on it unless you REALLY need to play now. It does look like a cool game, but what up with that.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 28, 2013, 11:06:38 AM

Speaking of heads-ups, the description of Snow says it's early access for a f2p game...so you probably shouldn't drop $7.50 on it unless you REALLY need to play now. It does look like a cool game, but what up with that.

Money Hats require money in order to be made.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 28, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

The number of early access and indie titles stealing the flash sales makes me sad.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 28, 2013, 12:25:02 PM

The number of early access and indie titles stealing the flash sales makes me sad.

I agree. I'm not that big of an indie fan. I like that their work and talent is getting the tools and support they need to finally get noticed and compete on a grander scale, but if all they're gonna do is cock-block the bigger-budget titles, people might start looking elsewhere.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #208 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:24 PM

If Steam starts turning into a bullshit version of Kickstarter on every sale I'm not going to bother with them.

Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 28, 2013, 03:38:52 PM

I saw Rome 2 once in a vote, and it didn't get picked. Otherwise I haven't seen it up on the sales, or AC3, which was the other one I wanted.

AC3 is on sale (not flash sale or anything, regular sale for the full duration of the holiday event) for like 75% off, making it like eight bucks which was cheap enough for me to snag it.  An extra 5% or so isn't going to mean much to me at that price.

Sales seem weird this year, too.  Sometimes, flash sales are deeper discounts than daily deals, sometimes daily deals are better discounts than flash sales.  I don't know what to think anymore.  Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.

edit: nope, I lied, the AC3 sale is because AC4 was a daily sale a day ago and the rest of the series was discounted too, and they stay discounted for a day afterwards.  Argh, my bad.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:58:43 PM by Kail »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Preparing for Fall and Winter Steam Sales (thx Snowden!)  
Jump to: