Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:39:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012078 times)
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2695 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:05 PM

I had a really good interview yesterday. Big raise and a better title. They indicated that they liked me and thought I'd be a good fit. I'd like to send a follow up thank you. What's everyone's take on thank you notes? I had planned on handwriting a quick thank you to the people that I interviewed with but even when I try my handwriting isn't great. I'd rather not screw this up and detract from the good interview I had.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2696 on: April 22, 2016, 12:41:47 PM

I think Tata makes cars.
Are they bodacious?

They own Land Rover and Jaguar, so probably.

Apparently there is also a Tata Consulting Co.  So brellium is fucked.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2697 on: April 22, 2016, 12:43:04 PM

I had a really good interview yesterday. Big raise and a better title. They indicated that they liked me and thought I'd be a good fit. I'd like to send a follow up thank you. What's everyone's take on thank you notes? I had planned on handwriting a quick thank you to the people that I interviewed with but even when I try my handwriting isn't great. I'd rather not screw this up and detract from the good interview I had.

My career consultant company (LHH) said it can make the difference between a hire and a pass.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2698 on: April 22, 2016, 12:52:46 PM

My career consultant company (LHH) said it can make the difference between a hire and a pass.

That's what I'm afraid of. I think the handwritten note seems more genuine and more human, but I can't get it to look great. I picked up some small thank you cards because I didn't really want to write a full page and fold it up and mail it. I know they would appreciate something and an e-mail just seems so impersonal.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2699 on: April 22, 2016, 01:00:47 PM

My handwriting is repellent, but I sent some into TWC and was hired.  I don't know if they even got them, actually, but it won't hurt you.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2700 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:39 PM

Any thank you note is better than no thank you note. If you don't think your handwriting will make a good impression just type up something instead.
brellium
Terracotta Army

Reply #2701 on: April 22, 2016, 02:36:51 PM

I think Tata makes cars.
Are they bodacious?

They own Land Rover and Jaguar, so probably.

Apparently there is also a Tata Consulting Co.  So brellium is fucked.
brellium is fine, the two or three dozen in that unit are fucked.

Me, I'm walking out the door they day the announce side by sides with "efficiency consultants" from Tata or anything similar.

‎"One must see in every human being only that which is worthy of praise. When this is done, one can be a friend to the whole human race. If, however, we look at people from the standpoint of their faults, then being a friend to them is a formidable task."
—‘Abdu’l-Bahá
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2702 on: April 22, 2016, 03:12:55 PM

Any thank you note is better than no thank you note. If you don't think your handwriting will make a good impression just type up something instead.

Hand lettering is quick to learn and more legible than cursive. Get a small straight edge and a pencil and start writing.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2703 on: April 22, 2016, 07:26:38 PM

A true architect.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2704 on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:46 PM

TCS sponsors the NYC marathon.

They're also twats.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2705 on: April 23, 2016, 04:16:52 AM

A true architect.

You always fall back to what you know.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2706 on: May 06, 2016, 10:05:31 AM

My old company is still paying me commissions for a job I got laid off from almost 4 months ago. Hohoho

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2707 on: May 07, 2016, 09:06:55 AM

Do you also have a red stapler?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2708 on: May 24, 2016, 08:49:44 PM

So now I get a recruiter from Amazon asking about me, and I'm like whaaaaat and it's in Seattle which is just not going to happen.  Shit be nuts.  I wonder why they would want me to work on their ELB team?  Either they are stupid or I'm smart.  Probably the first one.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2709 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:57 PM

So now I get a recruiter from Amazon asking about me, and I'm like whaaaaat and it's in Seattle which is just not going to happen.  Shit be nuts.  I wonder why they would want me to work on their ELB team?  Either they are stupid or I'm smart.  Probably the first one.

https://www.amazon.jobs/location/austin-tx

Move there. I hear there's some good people there.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2710 on: May 24, 2016, 09:35:14 PM

Probably cause working at Amazon is a horrible horrible job (even tech positions) and they are desperate to hire people awesome, for real
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2711 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:41 PM

Probably cause working at Amazon is a horrible horrible job (even tech positions) and they are desperate to hire people awesome, for real

Hey now, some people really like being on call all the time!

But in fairness, based on talking to and working with many people who worked at Amazon (in tech and management roles), there are all kinds of other reasons why Amazon has issues with high employee turnover.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2712 on: May 25, 2016, 07:29:46 AM

I'd only seriously consider it if the office was in West ATL and they paid me a whole lot.  Then I'd probably still leave in a year.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2713 on: May 25, 2016, 07:54:43 AM

Welp, I finally got over my procrastination and applied for an open employee position here at the company I'm at.  I'm tired of holding out hope that the group I'm with will ever have the head count to convert me (we merged with another group and now, the new larger group runs about 75% contractors/consultants.. which is ridiculous).  That fact and looking at having to be punished take a 30 day unpaid furlough in July to "reset" my contract was the straw.  If I don't get this position I'll stay where I am for now, but sheesh.

I really like the group I'm in, I like the people, I get along great with all my PMs (even the new ones joining us from the merger) and I like the work.  But I can't let guilt over how things would go if I left keep holding me back either.  I don't want to screw anyone over (and I wouldn't if possible) but I can't keep worrying about if the EOM financials are going to be done right if I'm not here.

I just really hate change.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2714 on: May 25, 2016, 07:55:09 AM

Good luck!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2715 on: May 25, 2016, 08:14:58 AM

Awesome, and good luck also.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2716 on: May 25, 2016, 08:53:32 AM

Good luck with full employment!

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2717 on: May 25, 2016, 04:57:57 PM

Hey now, some people really like being on call all the time!

But in fairness, based on talking to and working with many people who worked at Amazon (in tech and management roles), there are all kinds of other reasons why Amazon has issues with high employee turnover.

Yuuuuuup.   NDA
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2718 on: May 28, 2016, 10:57:01 PM

So, T-~90 days until I go to Egypt to hang out in ISIS-landia for about a year. It's going to be SUPER FUN.

And by super fun, I mean...I have no idea how it's really going to go. The Sinai is a complete clusterfuck right now. swamp poop

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2719 on: May 29, 2016, 11:54:03 AM

What exactly is your assignment again (think you said it was monitor work in Sinai)?  Are you based out of Cairo, or are you going to be sleeping elsewhere?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2720 on: May 29, 2016, 12:17:57 PM

I just really hate change.
I feel you. We're looking good for the next fiscal year, but the year after we're fucked sideways.

Which is weird, because our software is used all over the damn government and the private side (that sells to the public) makes a ton of money. Which means the government HAS the money, and the private side HAS the money, yet somehow staffing five people (the bare minimum to keep moving forward with development) is some ridiculously difficult thing to do all of a sudden.

So I'm trying to decide whether to start looking now or give it six months (I've got 18 months minimum before someone has to go) and see if someone gets their thumb out of their ass and bake us into the procurement like sane people. We got shoved into some weird Catch-22 situation when some big changes were made to funding, so that everyone thinks everyone else is going to pay for us, while depending on the tool we provide. And nobody can now afford us, despite the budget for that segment remaining steady (because it got diced into tons of small contracts).

And fuck it, I like working there. The job's cool, the people are good. I hate interviewing, I hate changing to new jobs. Everything's damn convenient where it is. (And worst of all, if it gets shut down in two years they'll go "Oh FUCK" and have to restart it. Fat lot of good that'll do me).
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2721 on: May 29, 2016, 12:24:29 PM

Sounds similar to the library's situation. Everyone (state/county/muni/public) thinks everyone else should be a primary funding source while at the same time offloading as many services on us as they can get away with.

In the short term, it's been a rough 10 years or so.

In the long term, we are so sexy from a cost efficiency standpoint, they're basically assuring our future while cutting their own department's throats (because they've been operating with more money but doing less).
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2722 on: May 29, 2016, 12:49:09 PM

We're looking good for the next fiscal year, but the year after we're fucked sideways.
I think that's everyone who is funded by the federal government.  We're good this year but next year everyone is biting their nails worried about what a new president and their personal feelings about our department and coverage will actually be (we've been a political tool\pawn in the past).
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2723 on: May 30, 2016, 10:13:17 PM

What exactly is your assignment again (think you said it was monitor work in Sinai)?  Are you based out of Cairo, or are you going to be sleeping elsewhere?

Basically, yes, though I'll be based out of a...base, in southern Sinai. It was a pretty sleepy assignment in the past, but much more complicated now due to ISIS.

Though honestly, that's part of the appeal - much more interesting, in my opinion, than going and sitting in the Embassies in Kabul or Islamabad.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #2724 on: May 31, 2016, 12:31:01 AM

Honestly all the shit I've read about Amazon has led me to believe they are, on average, a shittier employer than Walmart. At least Walmart has an excuse since their primary demographic is their employees.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2725 on: May 31, 2016, 05:30:26 AM

I'm really tired of getting rotated to an area, having enough staff to get the place working well, and then that resulting in having half of my coworkers taken for other areas that're struggling because we seem okay and then everything starts sucking real bad.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2726 on: May 31, 2016, 07:40:08 AM

I'd agree that Amazon is the Wal-Mart of the Internet in all ways.  I could draw parallels between job functions and quality of work.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2727 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:11 AM

I'd agree that Amazon is the Wal-Mart of the Internet in all ways.  I could draw parallels between job functions and quality of work.
Absolutely, Amazon just hides it behind creature comfort advances that don't make you feel like you live in a trailer inside of a trailer.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:28:42 AM by schild »
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2728 on: May 31, 2016, 10:21:48 AM

It's very cultic.  And I'll have to leave it at that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2729 on: May 31, 2016, 11:28:52 AM

Every major company is a cult, doesn't mean it has to be a shitty cult.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: