Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012009 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2555 on: December 08, 2015, 08:46:08 AM

I'll let my friends in atmospheric science know you have openings.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2556 on: December 08, 2015, 11:50:24 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2557 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:36 PM

We are probably looking for meteorologist-programmers somewhere, but I see you must have been joking.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2558 on: December 21, 2015, 09:15:48 AM

Late last week we were told of an important meeting that we should attend.  It's in Tel Aviv on December 28.  Facepalm I could go but every single financial approver in the management change is on vacation and good luck getting 4th quarter travel approved 4 days from Christmas. 

Israelis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2559 on: December 21, 2015, 01:49:21 PM

I sort of want to ask what the fuck is going on in Israel but I also sort of don't.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

Reply #2560 on: December 21, 2015, 01:59:53 PM

I'm bored and no one's in the office, so I'm going to interpret that as a yes.

Kick off meeting.  Some sort of "scrum of all scrums" thing because we're totally doing Agile for this release guys.  Honest.   Tel Aviv is already flying in guys from their China team and didn't tell us until it was too late to realistically get over there. Their management is a bit hostile when it comes to people outside their silo.
BRB. Updating CV.   awesome, for real

edit: Ohh seriously, fuck you Lotus Notes.  Apparently my emails haven't been sending for the past week and a half.  Don't put it in the sent folder if you didn't send it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 03:57:22 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2561 on: December 21, 2015, 04:03:24 PM

Google's hosting a thing in March at their NYC offices, so my boss signs us up. When I got the invite, it was for a three-hour conference. So Seattle->NYC and back for a three-hour something.

Here's an idea: Maybe do it on Hangouts? I like travel for fun, not so much for work.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2562 on: December 21, 2015, 07:27:28 PM

Tech companies that don't do virtual or teleconfrence meetings have no room to wonder why people aren't using their latest gee-gaw. Jeez, even my little company has Cisco devices now and we're terrible at adopting new tech (despite throwing tons of money at my department.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2563 on: December 21, 2015, 09:39:01 PM

You'll use our gee-gaws and you'll like'em.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2564 on: December 27, 2015, 09:33:16 AM

Well this isn't a good thing.

IEEE agrees with the Bureau of Labor: Growth for electrical and electronics engineering is predicted to be 0% for the next decade.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html

Of course this won't stop the constant "hey we don't have enough engineers, let us import them" cries.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2565 on: December 27, 2015, 10:51:52 AM

All of those cries about "no skilled labor" are deceptively neglecting the word "cheap" before skilled. There was an interview I read a couple years ago of a manufacturing company that was bemoaning the fact that they could not hire enough certified welders. When it came up how much they were willing to pay: $12 an hour for a position that requires thousands of dollars in training (which the company in question was not willing to pay for). I am pretty sure my exam when I took it in 2004 cost my company like $750. Which was only for one process/material type.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2566 on: December 31, 2015, 06:17:31 AM

Yes.  Working for a company that has lots of profits rolling in is important.  That is the main reason I'm not excited about working for IBM.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2567 on: January 13, 2016, 06:13:46 PM

Welp, lost my job of 14 years today. Anyone hiring in the Boston area?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2568 on: January 13, 2016, 06:59:37 PM

Wow 14 years. Hopefully you milked them for all they are worth. Hey The Weather company is hiring in Boston, I think we know someone there ...

- Viin
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #2569 on: January 14, 2016, 05:42:52 AM

Crap, that's got to suck, Shannow.  Sorry to hear that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I've been told that I'm only eligible for another 6 month extension and so I'll have to take a furlough this July, which sucks.  Company wants to make absolutely certain that contingent workers know they aren't really employees after all, so every two years they require them to take a 30 day unpaid furlough.  My boss got me an exemption last time I was due because what I do is so vital (but not vital enough to be really made permanent) that I couldn't be spared, but not this time.  So now she's trying to organize backup for me ahead of time and get someone else (an employee, of course) to learn what I do enough to cover for me, because she's said "I wouldn't blame you if you didn't come back" which, I'm not sure how to take. 

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2570 on: January 14, 2016, 06:01:04 AM

You should take it as, "Put out your resume, we're going to fuck you on your contract this next cycle."

Sorry to hear it, Shannow. What industry?

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2571 on: January 14, 2016, 06:36:35 AM

investment firm. Sales guy.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2572 on: January 14, 2016, 06:38:56 AM

Wow 14 years. Hopefully you milked them for all they are worth. Hey The Weather company is hiring in Boston, I think we know someone there ...

Andover, actually.  I don't know that we need sales people, but if so it will be in digital advertising.

In Feb, you'll almost certainly have to apply to IBM instead of TWC, since we will cease to be a separate entity.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #2573 on: January 14, 2016, 07:44:03 AM

investment firm. Sales guy.

Sent you something per PM, don't know if the field fits you though.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2574 on: January 14, 2016, 08:09:14 AM

You should take it as, "Put out your resume, we're going to fuck you on your contract this next cycle."

This. If the company won't hire you as an actual employee and wants you to train someone to be your backup while you are gone on forced furlough, they don't value you at fucking all and will take any opportunity to shitcan you because it costs them nothing. Start looking for something else now and keep looking until you can tell them to go fuck themselves even if they bring you back after the furlough. Being a "self-employed contractor" that is for all intents and purposes an employee (except for the actual legal definition of employee) means you are a line-item on a fucking worksheet and not a real person to the company. Frankly, if I could, I'd outlaw that kind of work completely because it's fucking exploitative as hell. My wife has been stuck in this type of position for years, for many different companies and the day when they decide they don't actually want to pay you for your services because they either found it cheaper, can't afford it anymore or don't value it at all sucks monkey balls and it usually happens with no warning despite months of the company telling you your income is secure.

Also, sorry to here it Shannow. Good luck finding something.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2575 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:45 AM

Welp, lost my job of 14 years today. Anyone hiring in the Boston area?

General Electric, maybe, because they are moving headquarters to Boston from Connecticut.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:21:37 AM by shiznitz »

I have never played WoW.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2576 on: January 15, 2016, 06:36:17 AM

Hmmm.  Interesting.

Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2577 on: January 16, 2016, 09:34:11 PM

Welp, I just found out, while on paternity leave, that the VP of my company, it's original founder, put in his resignation while I was out.  I hated this guy, but at the same time he's probably the only thing keeping our parent company from shutting down our small office.  In for interesting times when I go back to work in a week.
Rasix

Reply #2578 on: January 19, 2016, 12:51:17 PM

Work is driving me crazy.  We've slipped back into "nothing fucking works" territory AGAIN on this project.

I have a meeting with the executive sponsor for this project in 2 days.  I'm sure his cronies have been telling him how great everything is going and how difficult we're being.

Argh! Argh! Argh!

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2579 on: January 20, 2016, 07:07:17 AM

I feel you.  I've had two days this week where 'walking out and not looking back' seemed to be the only option.  And it's Wednesday.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2580 on: January 21, 2016, 07:05:42 AM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2581 on: January 21, 2016, 10:29:20 AM

I feel you.  I've had two days this week where 'walking out and not looking back' seemed to be the only option.  And it's Wednesday.

Yep, I'm getting damn tired at my job of systems just not working and everyone seemingly relying on me to fix it with no knowledge whatsoever. I'm used to having people that I trust run these things and the ability to pay them accordingly. I can't do that here.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2582 on: January 21, 2016, 12:31:45 PM

I've been dealing with the same shit. Beer industry, at least on the Distributor side, sucks. So, finally, got a call from the County and they gave me a conditional offer, pending physical. That happens Monday. Not burning the bridge as I'll probably end back up IN the beer industry, but jesus christ, this week is making it easier to say "goodbye for now".

beer geek.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2583 on: January 21, 2016, 12:40:36 PM

I think the beginning of the year is when people look around and ask themselves why the hell they are doing this job again

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

Reply #2584 on: January 21, 2016, 01:14:18 PM

I've Been Moved.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2585 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:06 PM

Is that a good thing?

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #2586 on: January 21, 2016, 02:06:28 PM

Either that or Rasix is turning into Milton from Office Space.

beer geek.
Rasix

Reply #2587 on: January 21, 2016, 02:17:15 PM

I'll be sitting in the same office most likely.  I'll be on a different product in a May with a job that doesn't have a description or set of responsibilities yet.

In the meantime I get to go through crunchtime on the product I'm working on currently and then hand off my duties to a bunch of Chinese being managed remotely out of Tel Aviv.

It's what I consider a really wrong/stupid move in the effort to bring this product under a single management silo.  I'm not confident they can maintain quality with what we've seen when Tel Aviv is given free reign over QA of a product. Quality goes into the shitter time and time again for a variety of reasons.  I put a lot of effort into field quality improvement, building relationships with my peers across multiple teams, and have just undergone a lot of tool modernization in the effort to release a better product.  It's been beneficial for me as well, as I've gotten a lot of recognition for what I've done here and was probably going to be the team lead as well as architect (what I am currently) within the year.  

Now.. whatever. I've got a job.  At least the dev team is local, and they have a solid road map.  I was just looking forward to doing more with what I had, and I had NO idea this was coming.  I'm just a bit shell shocked at the moment.  

The executive meeting was rescheduled to a couple weeks for now.  That is going to be really awkward.  He's a mentor of mine and just orchestrated the move that caused all of this.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #2588 on: January 21, 2016, 02:41:31 PM

In the meantime I get to go through crunchtime on the product I'm working on currently and then hand off my duties to a bunch of Chinese being managed remotely out of Tel Aviv.

I predict that will go smashingly well.

For you. Because you'll be gone from the shitshow that is certainly going to be.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2589 on: January 21, 2016, 02:47:40 PM

Ok, so was your old team the SVC/Storwize team?

As someone who uses/manages several hundred thousand dollars worth of them, I would like to know if the QA/QC is going (farther) down the shitter  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: