Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 08:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012011 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2100 on: May 26, 2015, 11:16:49 AM

Loading that much stuff from that many domains probably is mostly 1) advertising, 2) analytics tracking, 3) advertising retargeting pixels (so the ads can follow you around the Internet) and 4) RSS feeds or some other form of data feed since you are talking about the Weather Channel.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2101 on: May 27, 2015, 07:38:46 PM

No i want a complete breakdown of all the sane sounding suggestions that when each taken in their own right sounded somewhat okay but as a whole completely failed.  This way if this ever happens to one of my projects I can better gauge when to jump off the crazy train.

You're a pretty funny guy.  I've been here seven whole days and it's mostly mid-size corporate business as usual, except that almost everyone here is a weather nerd and/or meteorologist.  I'll see if I can help them... us, I mean.  But I'll be starting with the infrastructure.

The CIO wants me to tell him why the shit doesn't work.  Actually, he also said he's not a web designer but there must be some way to make money without driving away users.  This is probably a "everyone on the internet" problem when it comes to generating revenue.

Viin is mostly correct but we are also a data and insight provider, which makes things a bit more messy than a site that does something simple like break short articles into five-to-ten separate pages.  The web part requires someone like Haemish, not me.

I also really have to say that this is by far the most awesome company that I have ever worked for.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2102 on: May 27, 2015, 08:44:20 PM

$200k a year and I'm yours.  why so serious?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2103 on: May 28, 2015, 05:25:33 AM

I hate slideshows. I specifically boycott sites that use them. I left the other sports blog because they were starting to pull that shit.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2104 on: May 28, 2015, 05:36:23 AM

I hate slideshows. I specifically boycott sites that use them. I left the other sports blog because they were starting to pull that shit.

I will take slideshows over the auto-run video shit that sites like ESPN love to do anyday.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2105 on: May 28, 2015, 05:54:51 AM

Oh yeah but I don't notice those anymore because I disable all that stuff in Chrome. I have to click to run videos now. It's the best setting ever.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2106 on: May 28, 2015, 09:34:39 AM

Oh yeah but I don't notice those anymore because I disable all that stuff in Chrome. I have to click to run videos now. It's the best setting ever.

Please tell me where. Now.

I have never played WoW.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2107 on: May 28, 2015, 10:26:03 AM

Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Plugins > "Let me choose when to run plugin content"

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2108 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:50 AM

NoScript and FlashBlock serve the same purpose in Firefox.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2109 on: May 28, 2015, 08:20:31 PM

Newlife update:
Argh!!  Have a job of my dreams and don't want to jynx it by posting here before I receive an actual hiring package.   swamp poop   Hopefully by early next week it'll show up.  Typical government ran HR, at a snail's pace and delayed.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2110 on: May 29, 2015, 02:41:44 AM

... job of my dreams ...  Typical government ran HR...

Head scratch

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2111 on: May 29, 2015, 06:11:05 AM

Well, that was an interesting day. I got a promotion.

Half the management team (including the guy who has mentored me the last 10 years) and all of the front line staff just got two months notice.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2112 on: May 29, 2015, 08:24:15 AM

You work in a customer service department, right? Congrats on the promotion but start looking yesterday for a job if they cut half of your front line support staff, it is going to make your job much much harder.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #2113 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:23 AM

Well, what they actually did was move front line to the US Call Center, leaving Tier 2/Resolution up here (since they work hand in hand with Dev so much - who are up here).

And all of Tier 2/Res now reports to me. I've never had direct reports before, now I have around 15. This will be interesting.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2114 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:55 AM

Settings > Show Advanced Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Plugins > "Let me choose when to run plugin content"

Thank you
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2115 on: May 29, 2015, 11:35:36 AM

... job of my dreams ...  Typical government ran HR...

Head scratch

Iknowrite.  That's the price to be paid though in this particular space.  There is a method to the madness.  I didn't get the job at JPL (which is semi-private); that place runs greasy smooth, but nepotistic as fuck.  The social engineering I've done to get this far paid off a bit too late to have a lot of options with time to spare, but I'm happy.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2116 on: May 29, 2015, 07:55:02 PM

So as much as I've bitched about my job in the past, some might be happy to know I gave my notice two weeks ago.  Today was my last full day.  I've got another two weeks of not really working, but I get paid to help the support company that's taking over understand what's going on.

Then I'm going to take two months for myself before looking for something local.

I might be in for a world of hurt if nothing comes up before my stash runs out in a year or so, but this is also the first time I haven't been anxious about work matters since my university job got eliminated five years ago.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2117 on: May 29, 2015, 08:12:17 PM

I had a year's severance and ended up using all of it up, spending my stash, and incurring tons of debt, before even looking for a job.  Do not fall into that trap.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2118 on: May 29, 2015, 09:10:47 PM

At two months I'm looking.  (And already poking my head in at the places I most want.)  I'm not going to wait until I'm destitute to start looking.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2119 on: May 30, 2015, 06:51:53 AM

I thought you were moving way out to Texas somewhere to get off the grid? Maybe that was somebody else.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2120 on: May 30, 2015, 07:29:02 AM

I never left Texas, but I am in the boonies.  It's twenty miles to the nearest town.

I still need some form of income though.  Maybe I can set up a Patreon that promises to deliver absolutely nothing...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2121 on: May 30, 2015, 09:38:53 AM

I hope you have a lovely, restful two months.  Good luck when the time comes.   Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2122 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:53 PM

At two months I'm looking.  (And already poking my head in at the places I most want.)  I'm not going to wait until I'm destitute to start looking.

My disclaimer was that I was actually looking for work the entire time, but not actively enough to really land what I wanted.  I also started flight school and a buncha other stuff that really had to be done before obligating myself to a job wherein I'd have to likely relocate.  Very often, that is indeed the case even when you've got a year off.  The year off is most useful for soul-searching, career changes, projects, relocation, p/maternity, etc. 

If you start looking at two-months and you find something, rarely are you gonna get hired 8 months later also.  So there's that.   You're lookin' likely at a solid 3 months off max; as I bet you'd be hired pretty quick (from what I can tell of you).  Or were you saying with two-months remaining you'll start looking?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2123 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21:57 PM

I'm saying in August I'll start seriously seeking.

The biggest hurdle is I'm not in Houston anymore, so it'll be tougher to find something that is also close.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2124 on: June 02, 2015, 02:51:22 AM

I'm so fucking bored, it's not real.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2125 on: June 02, 2015, 05:25:55 AM

Landed a lateral position in Japan, been here a couple months now.  Typical sweatshop, but after 2 or 3 years I will slide in house to a client- hardest part was cracking the Japan club, nobody wants to hire a foreigner who is not already here.  My wife is thrilled and I pay 150 USD a month for family health insurance, so bye bye America forever!

Edit: Only negative is the fucking brutal exchange rate- I still pay student loans in America. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 05:29:03 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2126 on: June 02, 2015, 07:41:46 AM

I'm so fucking bored, it's not real.

I'm way bored too. Maybe we can play forum chess or something!  awesome, for real

I'll start: E2 to E4

- Viin
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2127 on: June 02, 2015, 07:52:27 AM

Speedy to Angry.Bob 4

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2128 on: June 02, 2015, 11:07:48 AM

Knight jumps Queen.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2129 on: June 02, 2015, 11:14:09 AM

You sunk my Aircraft Carrier.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2130 on: June 02, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

Knight jumps Queen.

If only.  If Only.  I miss that job.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #2131 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:38 PM

Okay, since the offer letter is now signed and approved...  I scored a year-long salaried internship/coop at Los Alamos National Lab working in Space Systems (purposely being vague in my description because f13 searchability is too damned high).  Not sure how much else I can say about it, but I know I won't be needing a clearance.  The cool part is I can leave the coop at any point, for instance if I go back to school in the fall...  and I can rotate to projects that interest me.

I'm sitting here right now in the Starbucks of course (my internet aint on yet). 

Basically after Spring sem. was out in Arizona, without a definitive plan, I pretty much packed all my shit into my hatchback and storage, rented out my room and started driving east to stay with folk in Tennessee (in a holding pattern basically).  Halfway there the DoE called, so I pretty much spent a week in Tennessee and then had to drive all the way back to New Mexico.  Totally worth it though.  Cutting all ties with a place makes it a lot easier to move where the best work is.

It wasn't my first choice, but it was the easier decision to make as I would have had to bleed a lot more time and social engineering to get the NASA job I wanted.  That said, at this point I know enough of how all these federal lab hiring systems work that I could probably get hired at any one of them if I tried.  Btw, if you're post-Doc in anything there's about a million things you can do here.

The irony is, a few days after the call, deep in the mountains of Tennessee at a family friend's BBQ I had no initial intention of attending because "redneck,"  I met one of the highest level NASA Apollo-era engineers.  Just happenstance.  Spent two days talking to eachother, picking eachother's brains.  It was amazing listening to one of those oldschool engineers; I soaked it all up.  This guy worked on Star Wars, helped design and build the 3rd stage of the Saturn V, was the lead engineer for Skylab, and was the payload manager for the shuttle program.  So yeah...   awesome, for real   You never, ever, know who you're gonna run into.  He will help me out with the agency if/when the time comes, particularly at KSC.  Great guy and a great friend to make.

Los Alamos?  It's the "Eureka County" of the U.S.  Probably pound-for-pound the smartest non-university town in the US.  Everyone here has a damned phD practically.  It's been ranked the #1 and #2 small town a few times, as for livability goes.  Everyone wears an Oppenheimer hat and the streets are all named as such, or Feynmann, Trinity, Manhattan, etc.  Not sure if it's my bag yet as I require a bit more culture then it can provide, but Santa Fe is only 45mins away and I'd rather not commute here as a starting intern.  The community here is very tight and well-organized.  Lots of coops, farmer's markets, free busing, local free events, and so forth.  Nothing here is wasted and everything is pretty sustainable.  But damn... it's small.  Great place to work, learn, and start a family; not a great place for a single dude.  My goal is to see how viable the startup ecosystem here is with the lab; the secrecy of the place might not be the best for that, but there is a big push in technology transfer the past few years.  This is a good place to be in the idea phase.  The lab wants to chunk out IPs.

It's been a helluva couple of years since my 1st post in this thread in changing careers.  It's been near non-stop as a whole for me for the past 5 yrs basically; without a significant break.  Honestly, I'm mentally exhausted and will have to take it easy I think before I crack, but not this summer.   I was prepared to relax a bit but there's no way I can turn down this job sooo single-malt scotches at 6pm are going to start being ritual.   swamp poop  Going to definitely have to mix in some outdoor activities and exercise; somethin.  Yoga or some shit maybe I dunno.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2132 on: June 02, 2015, 01:56:40 PM

Sounds awesome!

- Viin
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #2133 on: June 02, 2015, 05:46:53 PM

That said, at this point I know enough of how all these federal lab hiring systems work that I could probably get hired at any one of them if I tried.  Btw, if you're post-Doc in anything there's about a million things you can do here.
I will agree with what you said (being vague myself).  And if you've ever worked at one before, it's practically a guarantee to get in if you meet the minimum qualifications.  Know someone related to the job?  Even better!  If you are willing to write papers and get published, you will be considered a water walker in many areas and you really write your own ticket...  It's almost like a university without the administrative nightmares or student issues.

The irony is, a few days after the call, deep in the mountains of Tennessee at a family friend's BBQ I had no initial intention of attending because "redneck,"  I met one of the highest level NASA Apollo-era engineers.  Just happenstance.
There's a ton of that out here.  You'd be surprised if you've never been in the area or don't know where to go, but there are enclaves with quite intelligent people living in them.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2134 on: June 02, 2015, 06:31:20 PM

That said, at this point I know enough of how all these federal lab hiring systems work that I could probably get hired at any one of them if I tried.  Btw, if you're post-Doc in anything there's about a million things you can do here.
I will agree with what you said (being vague myself).  And if you've ever worked at one before, it's practically a guarantee to get in if you meet the minimum qualifications.  Know someone related to the job?  Even better!  If you are willing to write papers and get published, you will be considered a water walker in many areas and you really write your own ticket...  It's almost like a university without the administrative nightmares or student issues.

And unlike the vast majority of university research, working in a national lab pretty much guarantees that some effort will be made to weaponize your work. That's a plus for some people, and a minus for others, but IMO it's better to be honest about it up front than to find out "too late".

A lot of really cool work is done by the national labs. Congrats on getting your foot in the door!
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: