Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012242 times)
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: March 23, 2015, 08:14:44 PM

As someone who worked 80 hours last week without a day off until this Saturday (hopefully, as I'm still on call Ohhhhh, I see.), I could do with a bit of unemployment.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2031 on: March 23, 2015, 08:48:01 PM

Really? I like my work. I'd go crazy if I've gone crazy when I didn't have something interesting (but occasionally onerous) to do.

I never really lacked for anything to do, I just didn't do any of it for money.  It was a much more enjoyable situation for me overall.  I've never been one to associate who I am with the work that I do though.  It did help that I wasn't in a situation where I had to worry about money though.  It felt like I had less free time overall when I was unemployed than when employed for the most part.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:49:49 PM by Ard »
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #2032 on: March 23, 2015, 09:09:57 PM

Really? I like my work. I'd go crazy if I've gone crazy when I didn't have something interesting (but occasionally onerous) to do.

I never really lacked for anything to do, I just didn't do any of it for money.  It was a much more enjoyable situation for me overall.  I've never been one to associate who I am with the work that I do though.  It did help that I wasn't in a situation where I had to worry about money though.  It felt like I had less free time overall when I was unemployed than when employed for the most part.
Hmmm. I think I just need the kick in the ass that having real deadlines and consequences gives me. I excel in that kind of environment.

Although sometimes I'd really like to take a week off and study something interesting. All my annual leave keeps piling up and I cancel potential holidays to chip in on other projects…

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:42 PM

I'd be so much better off in retirement.

I have tons of things I'd like to do, but don't want to get stuck mid-way because I have to drop it to babysit work stuff.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2034 on: March 24, 2015, 06:12:06 AM

I plan to retire the second I make have $10M lying around. Sooo, gonna be a while.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #2035 on: March 24, 2015, 01:48:04 PM

I plan to retire the second I make have $10M lying around. Sooo, gonna be a while.

If you're habitually living below your means, you don't need anywhere near that. $2-3M is much easier to reach than $10M. $2M would probably let one spend about $60K/year forever, which is more than the average US household income.

(I was always boggled by former colleagues making 150K+/yr who were still living paycheck to paycheck...)
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2036 on: March 24, 2015, 02:52:36 PM

America has, without a doubt, the wealthiest working class in the world.

Well guys, government middle management turns out to be pretty great. All the things I wished somebody would change back when I was working in the department are changed now, and they're fantastic. I do less work and get more credit than ever before. Right now I'm rewriting the Delivery Truck guidebook and working with the lawyers to establish system-wide safety standards for sort efficiency. All without leaving my desk. My boss is hounding me to take more vacation days and with this pay rate and benefits package I'll retire at 50.

So I've yet to shit the bed,  everybody who loved me before I got hired still loves me now... and every interaction with the other branches only adds to my fame. At some point I'm sure something will go wrong and I'll have to do that "take responsibility" thing people warned me about... but so far? Wheeeeee.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2037 on: March 24, 2015, 03:40:28 PM

Jinx!

- Viin
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #2038 on: March 24, 2015, 04:19:31 PM

huh

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: March 24, 2015, 04:39:11 PM

Honestly, sounds like a nice gig. I'm also middle management, but I have the advantage that no one reports to me so I don't have to deal with any employee/employer drama.

- Viin
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2040 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:29 PM

Benefits update: A minor revolt by the staff (backed by a LOT of faculty, which really made us staff happy- they were hurt a LOT less than us) resulted in the administration's original forum over the time off changes being moved to a ballroom which ended up standing room only with 1000+ employees in it. Needless to say, they were surprised. The changes aren't being implemented this year now, and they're doing small focus groups with every department in the university to alter the system. Bare minimum change is more PTO.

Meanwhile where I actually work this summer is shaping up to be really really bad.

We're losing a team lead to another group in our department, probably losing another engineer to the same group, one engineer is going back to his old gig because his replacement fucked up so bad they went crawling back to him hat in hand, another is leaving to finish their degree.

One of our site teams is down to 1/4 people due to the site lead's wife dying in an accident  sad, one being on vacation, and one being gone for training for a month.

Christ.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2041 on: March 25, 2015, 01:26:30 PM

You could always apply for jobs here at Illinois and commute.  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2042 on: March 26, 2015, 02:20:48 PM

Since losing my job last October, I've been applying pretty much anywhere for lead or senior designer roles. On a whim I threw my hat in the ring for a far more senior position, was stunned to get a design test for it, was even more surprised to get two Skype interviews, gobsmacked to get a second, more focused design test and now they want to bring me over to meet with them for a week. That would be next week. So, if things go well, there's a good chance that I could get an offer to be a Creative Director for Wargaming within the next few days.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2043 on: March 26, 2015, 02:43:31 PM

You're a veteran of over 6+ years now and a humble enough guy you underestimate your skillset, Iain.  Congrats and good luck.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2044 on: March 26, 2015, 03:07:21 PM

You're a veteran of over 6+ years now and a humble enough guy you underestimate your skillset, Iain.  Congrats and good luck.

If we count tabletop design, then it's closer to 17 years.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2045 on: March 26, 2015, 03:31:13 PM

Is it safely west of the iron curtain this time? why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2046 on: March 26, 2015, 06:58:27 PM

Is it safely west of the iron curtain this time? why so serious?

For the moment.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2047 on: March 27, 2015, 05:51:08 AM

Does that mean the Iron Curtain will move due to your new position ?

Because that's a worry.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2048 on: March 27, 2015, 05:54:52 AM

Where are you moving? Sparta? Sounds great!

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2049 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:38 AM

If I get the job it will be in Kiev. With some responsibilities in Minsk and Nicosia too.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2050 on: March 27, 2015, 09:32:00 AM

Kiev is not "safely" west of the Putin line!

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #2051 on: March 27, 2015, 10:48:17 AM

If I get the job it will be in Kiev. With some responsibilities in Minsk and Nicosia too.

I knew a girl that travelled from Milan to Minsk.

Anyway sounds like fun. Make sure to buy a gun.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2052 on: March 27, 2015, 12:46:16 PM

Facepalm

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2053 on: March 27, 2015, 04:53:17 PM

Hello,
Profitable position of Tour Master in enjoyable work sphere is open at this time. We recruit people to take this place with main payment of $4,200 per month.
We also cheer our team with various bonuses and free tours.

On this post your main duties will be related with our consumers service and support: help and guide different client's tasks, carry out invoicing, prоvidе the bеst sеrviсе tо ехisting аnd our potential consumers.

In base you should have:
- good social skills and have a grip on PC;
- be of full legal age;
- no police records;
- Be USA Permanent Resident.

If you are interested in this position please send your resume only to this mail:

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2054 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:05 PM

Good luck, Iain!  Buy a lot of grey clothing so you blend into the background, scenery and people.  I'm glad it wasn't Norilsk.  Or Oklahoma City.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2055 on: March 28, 2015, 11:43:30 AM

I am flying out tomorrow, I made sure my 'Putin is way too girly a wussbag to have me abducted and killed!' t-shirt was freshly washed and pressed for the trip. According to the scedule they sent me, it looks like I'll know what their decision will be on Friday afternoon. I fly home on Saturday, which happens to be my birthday so it could be an interesting weekend.

Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2056 on: March 28, 2015, 01:13:26 PM

Good luck Iain! We had a contractor that our company used for about a year that is based just outside Kiev. She is a US citizen and she has lived over there for a few years. She had nothing but wonderful things to say about that part of the country. I talked to her about a month ago and she wasn't that worried about the fighting... She does work in agriculture so keep that in mind. We also have had a few of our sales people traveling around the Ukraine and Russia right now and they feel fairly safe.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2057 on: March 28, 2015, 02:57:04 PM

The only real danger is if Russia launches a full invasion (Highly Unlikely), or the domestic situation deteriorates enough that more mass protests and civil unrest break out (slightly more likely).  It's perfectly safe there otherwise, and he should have a good time, unless he's deadset on having access to big shopping malls and stuff like that.  The bad stuff is only happening in the far east corner of the country.  Everybody I know who has served over there has loved it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2058 on: April 08, 2015, 04:47:16 PM

Had two tech screens today for the same job; the first went great, the second I bombed. Straight up locked up and could not move past the problem. I've been relying on JS libraries for too much, apparently. Need to get back to basics.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2059 on: April 08, 2015, 04:56:18 PM

Yes, though the nice thing about JSFiddle, which is where I usually ask candidates to write out their JS code, is that it can load up most of the popular JS libraries easily. So if somebody can, say, only remember the JQuery syntax for doing something, I just let them do it that way.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #2060 on: April 08, 2015, 05:10:08 PM

Wargaming offered me the job (well, a job anyway. Not the one I originally applied for). I'll get their written offer with details tomorrow or Friday and then it's decision time.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #2061 on: April 08, 2015, 05:30:08 PM

Laid my cards out on the table today.

Approached a company I do side contracting work in my free time for and told them essentially that if they agree (and think there's enough work overall, which there is) I'll dedicate an average of 30 hours a week to them but increasing my pay rate (to compensate for increased taxes, getting my own healthcare, std, ltd, etc...).  If this works out it's going to be amazing.  I'll be taking a slight pay cut but overall I'll only have to work 3-3.5 days a week, be completely flexible about when/where I work, and get more time to work on my startup.

I'll hear back in a few days...
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2062 on: April 08, 2015, 05:37:03 PM

Yes, though the nice thing about JSFiddle, which is where I usually ask candidates to write out their JS code, is that it can load up most of the popular JS libraries easily. So if somebody can, say, only remember the JQuery syntax for doing something, I just let them do it that way.

That's a great idea. I had to do the whole thing on paper, nested functions and DOM interaction I couldn't remember. I might have muddled through if I had a console so I could test changes, but I just got tripped up on myself. It was a tough but technically fair question. It was for a c# shop, and I know exactly zero c# syntax, so I had a feeling it would go this way. I might just stick to rails and spend the next three months with intensive js.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #2063 on: April 08, 2015, 07:47:25 PM

Wargaming offered me the job (well, a job anyway. Not the one I originally applied for). I'll get their written offer with details tomorrow or Friday and then it's decision time.
Congrats man!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2064 on: April 09, 2015, 06:16:47 PM

I believe today is the last day of my sixty-day "preferential rehire" phase during which I can be put into another HP position without any significant paperwork... so of course today is the day that I get calls from HP managers desperately trying to fill gaps in their organizations.  One of these desperate people supports NASA in Huntsville, which would actually fulfill a child-wish to work with rockets and space and NASA and stuff.  Not sure if the manager can pierce the HP bureaucracy to get me in there, but I'd be willing to give it a try for a little while.

Also the damn Weather Company finally contacted me about a systems engineering position that I posted to at least a month ago.  God help anyone who gets laid off and doesn't have any money saved to pay bills with.

Space stuff was the least fun stuff I worked on. That being said, knowing something you touched is scattered as debis across the surface of mars is pretty cool.

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: