Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:07:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012002 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1960 on: February 28, 2015, 07:00:05 AM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1961 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:56 AM

I had an idea for a general cover letter today.

Dear Hiring Team,
No one likes reading resumes.  I’ve been on the hiring side and I understand.  I’ve read your job description and I am a great fit, but how can you know?  I propose that next time you take a five minute break from reviewing candidates, simply give me a call at <voice number> and I’ll tell you in less than five minutes how I can help your organization move to the next level.

Sincerely,
<me>

Because, really, I can do a lot of things to improve an organization that is willing to hire me but that's super-difficult to put into a resume.  Plus resume submission is a complete crap-shoot, just like flying a job posting is a crap shoot if the person you need will even see it or consider it, since those also suck similar to resumes.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1962 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:16 AM

That sounds like a good idea, except that most people in tech would rather read than talk. 

Also, I'd be asking myself ;  if this guy can talk about it, but can't put that talk down in a resume, am I really going to look forward to his summarized project report ?  Ummmm, No.

But I'm a glass is half full kinda guy.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1963 on: March 03, 2015, 10:53:04 AM

Agree with that assessment, but I can tell you that tossing my two-pager into the swimming pool is relying on luck quite a bit... so, thinking about how to get around that.

I personally have read job postings until I'm sick of decoding them and I assume hiring managers feel similarly about resumes so I'd like to give them (and me) an out.  Good point about putting that proposed summary into the resume, though, so I'm going to spend some thought on the wording.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1964 on: March 03, 2015, 02:59:17 PM

Network, Network, Network.  You met people, lots of people, at your former positions I'd imagine. Reach out to them.

That's how I've gotten my last 4 jobs. I'd never have gotten them just doing resumes.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1965 on: March 03, 2015, 03:43:56 PM

I was advised by one of my contacts, a former manager, that you get better search hits on LinkedIn if you get above 200 contacts.  I did that a month ago, and I signed up for the Premium as well.  I'm not dissatisfied with my LinkedIn hits so far.  Interestingly, I think that is how the Google talent guy found me, instead of their manager position I applied for a while back.

EDIT to say that updating the profile every few days really helps the hits, as did adding the word "DevOps".

Mild apologies for not connecting to you miscreants on LinkedIn.

I can tell you that Monster is a hive of scum and villainy, or at least vindaloo.  Next time I do this, I'm going to get a temporary Google Voice number instead of using my actual number.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 03:47:51 PM by Yegolev »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1966 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:54 PM

These days it's all about your GitHub activity.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #1967 on: March 03, 2015, 03:53:17 PM

EDIT to say that updating the profile every few days really helps the hits, as did adding the word "DevOps".

Is it sitting next to Agile and CAMS?

I really should include some more shit on my LinkedIn.  But then I'll put all of that shit and people will still want to interview me as a coder.  

I'm doomed.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1968 on: March 03, 2015, 05:35:23 PM

If anyone knows of a place hiring either tech support or junior devs (esp rails) in Seattle, let me know! I'm graduating in May and was planning to start the search soon for jr dev work, but was told today that our president wants mom and yoy email and phone quantity numbers also with the entire list of things we do.

Welp. I know exactly what that means. Hoping I can hold out until after I graduate at least. Our fiscal begins in July, so maybe I get till then.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1969 on: March 03, 2015, 05:36:51 PM

but was told today that our president wants mom and yoy email and phone quantity numbers also with the entire list of things we do.
This looks like English but I have no idea what it means.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1970 on: March 03, 2015, 05:39:37 PM

Month over Month and Year over Year.

Stats had better be getting better each month and each year or you'll be replaced.

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1971 on: March 03, 2015, 07:17:37 PM

If you wanted to move to the Denver/Boulder area, let me know what you are looking for and I can see if any of my contacts have reqs open in that area.

- Viin
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1972 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:37 PM

I don't have a LinkedIN profile, I know I probably should but the site irks me.

If I ever do find myself looking for a new job at somewhere other than at this campus (meaning if I decide to move) then I guess I will have to set one up.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1973 on: March 03, 2015, 08:14:57 PM

If you wanted to move to the Denver/Boulder area, let me know what you are looking for and I can see if any of my contacts have reqs open in that area.

Thanks for the thoughts! My wife is our bread-winner and I can't uproot us from the Seattle area. Much appreciated, though!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1974 on: March 04, 2015, 07:04:43 AM

This is why I'm making a point of learning how to contribute to Openstack.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1975 on: March 04, 2015, 07:12:12 AM

I'm probably screwed when I lose this job.  Programmer with the same company for over a decade, don't do linked in, don't keep in touch with contacts and a lot of what I know is proprietary and useless elsewhere.  I figure I'll just downsize, live on my savings for 5-10 years and then if still alive freeze to death in a gutter.  It's an achievable scenario and requires very little effort, which is its main selling point.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1976 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:19 AM

If you live in a major city, hit up a weekly Meetup.com in your area of expertise. It's awkward and weird in the beginning. Sometimes you'll meet an asshole or two. But overall it's a great way to network.

Linkedin is just basically a resume social network that nobody uses to socialize.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1977 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:25 AM

I vouch for both points.  A open source meetup is how I learned I should apply to something at Cox Enterprises.  LinkedIn is a fine way to find out what companies to look at and even to apply via LinkedIn.

It already seems to be happening that LinkedIn is at least supplementing if not outright replacing resumes, and even awkward shit like Taleo.  My LinkedIn URL is in my resume header.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1978 on: March 04, 2015, 08:27:29 AM

I'm probably screwed when I lose this job.  Programmer with the same company for over a decade, don't do linked in, don't keep in touch with contacts and a lot of what I know is proprietary and useless elsewhere.

I believe it's true that if you can program at all, you can learn any programming language.  Assuming this, I'd advise learning Java since there is an absolute dire need for this skill if my job feed is any indicator.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1979 on: March 05, 2015, 10:05:53 AM

Google position was perfect... except they wanted me to move to Mtn View.  Oh, well.

Rasix

Reply #1980 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:04 AM

Although I'd love to work for them, that is now an issue. I'm really not too keen on uprooting anymore.  Which is probably an issue considering who I work for.  awesome, for real

Best of luck in your continued search, Yeg.  IBM position in Atlanta get back to you?  All I know about them is that we have to call them for replacement parts for our lab machines.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1981 on: March 05, 2015, 10:13:02 AM

Bummer. They're pretty tough to get into, so at least you know you have the chops.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1982 on: March 05, 2015, 11:20:10 AM

I'd really like to put "I was courted by Google to lead one or more of their Site Reliability Engineering teams" on my profile somewhere, but that seems tacky.

I haven't gotten any calls from IBM, which is probably for the best, really.  Firstly, I'm interested in moving AWAY from the dinosaurs (the get-togethers are filled with greyhaired old farts), and secondly they are probably in worse shape than HP when it comes to job security.  They have sold off a few venerable locations around Atlanta and appear to be on the decline.

I've about decided to stop waiting around for Equifax to call back, but that would have been a cool position minus the location.  I have a phone interview with Cox Communications that likely won't go anywhere since the job is lower in the operations chain than what I have been doing, but I plan to use the chance to chat with the hiring manager and basically ask if they have a use for my leadership/consulting skills.  Other lacks of follow-up have not come from Lockheed-Martin, Norfolk-Southern, Home Depot, and so on.

Macy's offices are too far away, or else I'd be applying there.  They use IBM AIX and are looking for people, plus I have met some of their IT guys... really I'd like to get into someplace using something on the rise, though, like RHEL with any of Openstack or Chef/Puppet.  Not that you couldn't use some of that with AIX.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1983 on: March 05, 2015, 01:28:36 PM

Finally came to my senses and created a Google Voice number, promptly updating Monster, CareerBuilder, and all of my resumes.  Naturally it spells YEGOLEV, but of course I didn't type that out.

I almost simply disabled the Monster profile.  Nothing useful has come from that direction, as far as I can tell.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1984 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:56 PM

Google position was perfect... except they wanted me to move to Mtn View.  Oh, well.

It's a pretty great place to live, FWIW.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #1985 on: March 05, 2015, 01:55:30 PM

I'd really like to put "I was courted by Google to lead one or more of their Site Reliability Engineering teams" on my profile somewhere, but that seems tacky.

That sounds like a pretty sweet gig.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Rasix
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #1986 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:27 PM

It's a pretty great place to live, FWIW.
It really is.  If I was single and younger and didn't mind living in a cramped apartment enjoying the nightlife of the place, it would be a great job and place to live.  The best part is you can do your 24-36 months there and practically get in anywhere else just because your resume says "Google" on it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1987 on: March 05, 2015, 02:34:28 PM

Yes, that.  I can't move, and if I did I would not like living in Silicon Valley after having a nice spacious home without neighbors.  I can only imagine the cost of housing from which my commute would be remotely sane.

Rasix said it best:  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1988 on: March 05, 2015, 03:14:33 PM

Yeg, I don't think a Southern boy like you would get along in So. Cal anyway, nevermind the wife.  The boy's young enough he'll become a Californian in no time, though! Go for it!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1989 on: March 05, 2015, 03:26:54 PM

Mountain View is in NorCal.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1990 on: March 05, 2015, 06:50:29 PM

I've never been laid off or had my job removed before. What should I expect in compensation regarding severance, continuation of benefits and/or unemployment? I realize every employer likely has a different take on this, but looking for a general expectation.

I think I'm eligible to take my pension and put it in an IRA, they offer that after three years (which I just hit).

Any general advice or expectations would be really helpful. It's looking like this might be happening, maybe sooner than I thought.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1991 on: March 05, 2015, 07:06:53 PM

I've never been laid off or had my job removed before. What should I expect in compensation regarding severance, continuation of benefits and/or unemployment? I realize every employer likely has a different take on this, but looking for a general expectation.

I think I'm eligible to take my pension and put it in an IRA, they offer that after three years (which I just hit).

Any general advice or expectations would be really helpful. It's looking like this might be happening, maybe sooner than I thought.

Varies from high five/kkthx to tidy sum to get "you through a few months".  Larger firms usually offer 1 to 2 weeks pay per year in lump sum.

Benefits usually go end of month to 6 months out.

Good luck, sorry to hear.  Best advice is back your stuff up as some will walk you immediately.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1992 on: March 05, 2015, 07:20:09 PM

Yeah, when the division I was in wound-down it was a Week per year, and they did the same at my current firm when they had to cut overhead at the management levels. (Seriously, there were 5 directors and 2 VPs for one professional. wtf.)

However I've also gotten the "sorry. We're broke, best of luck" package of, "Here's the vacation we legeally owe you. good luck."

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1993 on: March 05, 2015, 08:13:53 PM

I'm always reminded of Kirk van Houten being let go from the cracker factory after his divorce.  "So after all this time, it's 'So long and good luck'?", to which his boss says "I don't recall saying 'Good luck'."

One week's pay per year of service is what I got.  Tax withheld at the bonus rate.  HP, however, is a multi-billion-dollar company so adjust accordingly.

Something I was a bit surprised to learn was how much my health plan cost.  For COBRA, I was only able to take the plan I already had, and that cost $20,000 annually just for medical.  So, go ahead and get ready to research medical plans if you're in the same boat.

Unemployment insurance (UI) varies by state, of course, but it was not really bothersome.  Especially since I didn't have a job anymore.  I signed up immediately and so far haven't gotten a check, so be aware it will take some time.

Cheddar is right about making backups now.  Also go ahead and take home all of your personal shit so you aren't dealing with that when the knock comes.  Reorgs were like spring cleaning for my desk.

Yeg, I don't think a Southern boy like you would get along in So. Cal anyway, nevermind the wife.  The boy's young enough he'll become a Californian in no time, though! Go for it!

You're only saying this because you've never met me in person.  Correct about my gun-toting, business-owning, empowered wife, though.

So... anyone want to see the job link?  I don't think any of you are in the line of work that I'm in.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1994 on: March 05, 2015, 08:53:00 PM

Thanks for letting me know your stories and what to expect. Backups were finished on Monday and I took home everything personal on Tuesday, so that's good. It's great advice.

Now I'm just hoping they extend it longer than I'm expecting. It will be okay; my wife makes great money and can keep us afloat while I look. We technically can survive on her income alone, but we can't save any money and we have to cut back fun things pretty much completely.

Thanks again for the advice!
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: