Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 05:16:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  (Read 193897 times)
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 27, 2011, 07:50:28 AM

King Kong was an hour too long and really really crappy. I watched it once, barely made it through and have no desire to ever see it again.

You're entirely wrong.

It was two hours too long.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 27, 2011, 08:47:50 AM

I loved RotK even though it dragged a bit at the end, but King Kong put me to sleep.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
WayAbvPar

Reply #107 on: May 27, 2011, 10:15:05 AM

Agree completely with the King Kong hate. The Jeff Bridges version is miles better. Plus Jessica Lange   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #108 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:30 PM

Legolas to be in the movies:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110527/film_nm/us_orlandobloom

Let the nerdrage begin! awesome, for real
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 27, 2011, 04:04:38 PM

I can just hear the neckbeards growing! They may gain sentience after this.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #110 on: May 27, 2011, 04:07:04 PM

Won't matter. The movie will be released on the 21st just when the Earth crumbles into dust and the chariots come to ferry the saints off into space.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #111 on: May 27, 2011, 04:13:20 PM

It's not a terribly tremendous stretch for the son of the king of the wood elves to be hanging about their place in Mirkwood or be there when they're fighting in the Battle of the Five Armies, IMO.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 27, 2011, 06:33:23 PM

Pretty much that.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:22 PM

I just reread the Hobbit and had forgotten that Bilbo spends quite a while skulking around the elf palace, feeding himself through burglary. So a scene where Bilbo steals Legolas's half-eaten midnight lembas snack from his nightstand is perfectly fine with me.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: May 27, 2011, 06:46:25 PM

Hey, Orlando Bloom's gotta eat right?
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 27, 2011, 07:28:45 PM

I just reread the Hobbit and had forgotten that Bilbo spends quite a while skulking around the elf palace, feeding himself through burglary. So a scene where Bilbo steals Legolas's half-eaten midnight lembas snack from his nightstand is perfectly fine with me.

Only if he split jumps up a narrow hallway, drops on Legolas' back when he walks underneath, and chokes him out first.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 28, 2011, 02:18:17 AM

While riding a shield down stairs.

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: May 28, 2011, 05:46:36 AM

That's a great idea, you should be a director.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 28, 2011, 05:54:32 AM

I don't really think many die-hard fans of the novels liked what Legolas did at Helms deep or with that damn Mumak.

Still, kids were cheering.  I guess that counts.

The little bastards.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:20 AM

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at both.  But I did enjoy Bloom's slight head tilt coming off the mumak, about as much showing off as we've ever seen him do.  And of course Gimli's reply.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 28, 2011, 08:49:20 AM

Going back a bit, I dunno how anyone could come up with a different vision of how to stage Sam and Frodo in Mordor. There are one or two bits of narrative excitement once they're out of the fortress and on their way to Mount Doom but mostly it's just sparse descriptions of how much they are suffering, how lifeless and unpleasant (and monotonous) Mordor looks, and tons and tons of bromantic conversations. Unless you want to completely alter the plot, that's what you're stuck with. Whenever I re-read the trilogy, I generally just skip the Sam-and-Frodo parts from Emyn Muil onward. Jackson did a pretty good job of heightening the psychological tension between Gollum, Sam and Frodo, actually.

I agree there's stuff in his adaptation of RoK that takes what works in the book (the weakest of the three) and makes it work less well. Not just Legolas showboating but the sequencing in: Grond destroying the gate, the Witch-King riding in, Gandalf standing alone, the horns blowing, the Witch-King flying off, Pippin running up, Gandalf having to save Faramir, the Witch-King's attack on Theoden and his death at the hands of Eowyn and Merry. That's pretty much the best dramatic sequence that Tolkien ever wrote, and it's perfectly cinematic as is. Dunno why Jackson fucked around with it.

What I don't get is the hardcore Jackson hating, and the stupidity of insisting that anyone who thinks the films were pretty decent is somehow a ravening fanboy. They're flawed, RoK most so, but the source material's flawed too in other ways. They were at least fine throughout and occasionally way more than fine. He'll maybe do an ok job with "The Hobbit", and if he doesn't, well ok. Getting worked up about it pro or con seems weird to me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 28, 2011, 09:48:24 AM

The RotK film was pretty much all about Smeagol.  I loved what they did with Smeagol, so I liked it more than most.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:45 AM

What I don't get is the hardcore Jackson hating, and the stupidity of insisting that anyone who thinks the films were pretty decent is somehow a ravening fanboy. They're flawed, RoK most so, but the source material's flawed too in other ways. They were at least fine throughout and occasionally way more than fine. He'll maybe do an ok job with "The Hobbit", and if he doesn't, well ok. Getting worked up about it pro or con seems weird to me.

They were pretty decent. But we get a lot of fans yarking about how they were simply amazing, awesome and piss your pants exceptional. It's fine to be enthusiastic about a movie they like, but goddamn. These movies weren't that great.

I am a Tolkien fan. I'd like to see an adaptation that doesn't make me wince too often. PJ's LOTR had too many wince moments for comfort, for me.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 28, 2011, 11:53:07 AM

I can forgive Aragorn falling off a cliff and any number of extended endings for Gandalf stabbing the shit out of a balrog in mid-air.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #124 on: May 28, 2011, 03:59:17 PM

I can forgive Aragorn falling off a cliff and any number of extended endings for Gandalf stabbing the shit out of a balrog in mid-air.

Also, ents.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 29, 2011, 12:48:25 AM

No movie can ever compete with the pictures in your head from reading a book. Especially a book you read as many times as the average Tolkien fan read LotR. Taking into account that changes have to made for a different medium as well (movies don't work like books) the Jackson version is as reasonable an adaption you will ever get. And the fact that people squabble over really minor shit proves that point in my opinion.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #126 on: May 29, 2011, 01:35:04 AM

I don't really think many die-hard fans of the novels liked what Legolas did at Helms deep or with that damn Mumak.

Still, kids were cheering.  I guess that counts.

The little bastards.

Ohhhhh, I see.

His move to mount the horse during the warg battle was pretty badass though.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:18 AM

They were pretty decent. But we get a lot of fans yarking about how they were simply amazing, awesome and piss your pants exceptional. It's fine to be enthusiastic about a movie they like, but goddamn. These movies weren't that great.

I am a Tolkien fan. I'd like to see an adaptation that doesn't make me wince too often. PJ's LOTR had too many wince moments for comfort, for me.
Consider the possibility that quite a few of the fans you're railling against aren't (or weren't) Tolkien fans, but just liked the films as well done fantasy movies. It's like complaining about the Star Wars trilogy because they're not as good as the Buck Rogers/Flash Gorden comic strips they were inspired by - you might well be technically correct, but you're sort of missing the point.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 29, 2011, 03:20:43 AM

rolleyes

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:01 AM

I don't get the hate over Legolas's surfing stunts. Those are little minor things that had nothing to do with the story. They were just...stunts.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 29, 2011, 11:06:48 AM

They were XTREME WANK.

And they totally didn't fit a scene where Fat-Elf was getting run through.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:38 PM

Consider the possibility that quite a few of the fans you're railling against aren't (or weren't) Tolkien fans, but just liked the films as well done fantasy movies. It's like complaining about the Star Wars trilogy because they're not as good as the Buck Rogers/Flash Gorden comic strips they were inspired by - you might well be technically correct, but you're sort of missing the point.

That's kinda my point. I don't think they were well done fantasy movies. The thing that saves them from being Dungeons and Dragons The Movie is the whole Tolkien angle, which was hit or miss in quality of adaptation.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 29, 2011, 12:42:29 PM

Oh, Fuck Off.

I have problems with these films too, but comparing them to Dungeons and Dragons ?

FUCK OFF.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 29, 2011, 01:08:06 PM

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 29, 2011, 01:19:09 PM

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 29, 2011, 07:13:33 PM

That's kinda my point. I don't think they were well done fantasy movies. The thing that saves them from being Dungeons and Dragons The Movie is the whole Tolkien angle, which was hit or miss in quality of adaptation.

Just wondering what a "well done fantasy movie" is in your universe.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:50 PM

I'm still wondering why Legolas surfing was out of place. NOBODY CAN ANSWER ME THOUGH, other than "It just didn't fit." Well, it did. When the first battle sequence is a wall of elves almost literally doing synchronized swimming with their mini-halberds, the heightened-reality of the elves' fighting style is firmly set. Unless, I guess, Orlando Bloom does it, then it's WRONG!

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 29, 2011, 10:22:10 PM

Oh, Fuck Off.

I have problems with these films too, but comparing them to Dungeons and Dragons ?

FUCK OFF.

Thumbs up!
 Love Letters
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 30, 2011, 01:04:28 AM

I'm still wondering why Legolas surfing was out of place. NOBODY CAN ANSWER ME THOUGH, other than "It just didn't fit." Well, it did. When the first battle sequence is a wall of elves almost literally doing synchronized swimming with their mini-halberds, the heightened-reality of the elves' fighting style is firmly set. Unless, I guess, Orlando Bloom does it, then it's WRONG!

Did the forum eat my reply ?  Oh, no, there it is there.

"And they totally didn't fit a scene where Fat-Elf was getting run through."

Haldir looked like the only surfing he ever did was body surfing at the front row of the pie eating contest.  I'd hardly call a unified chop from elves 'synchronised swimming' either.  Those chaps could have been Romans, Spartans or Glaswegians and the effect would have been the same.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: May 30, 2011, 01:18:49 AM

Obviously we're just hating.  The concept of shooting things while surfing down a flight of stairs isn't patently fucking ridiculous.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Hobbit (2012/2013)  
Jump to: