Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 08:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  (Read 76750 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: July 01, 2010, 10:56:15 AM

Just bought X3, passed on Titan Quest.  I don't need another Diablo Clone even if it is 5$, played the first one years ago briefly.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #246 on: July 01, 2010, 11:44:33 AM

Are there any horror stories with GTA: San Andreas on PC?  I've been eying it all this sale as I've never played it, but didn't think to see if it actually worked awesome, for real.
Best GTA. Vice City had a couple lingering issues on the PC, but I don't remember any in SA. Of course, use a gamepad.

Same boat with the DA:O stuff, still spendy, especially since I bought the box version and would need to re-buy it. And I've yet to actually finish it. Unless that expansion is as big as the entire game, they probably shouldn't be charging the same price as the entire game imo. No burning desire for the expansion when I'm happily playing ME2, which is definitely worth the $23 I paid for it.

Already have X3:TC on shteam, I'd consider TQ but I bought it on Impulse for less a long time ago and still haven't played it.

Beware of Thief:DS, it's fucked for widescreen. I was able to get it working at 720p when it originally came out, but for some reason 1080p was just fucked. I got it in the Eidos pack at xmas and tried getting it running a couple months ago.

I wonder if System Shock 2 will ever be released on Steam, what the hell kinds of legal AIDS is going with that game. I played it once and lost the discs and was never able to find it reasonably again. At this point it's probably too dated to bother with, but it is kind of odd that great game disappeared off the face of the planet (along with the SMAC expansion!). Yeah..also need SMAC+ the expansion! And Sid's SimGolf!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #247 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:50 AM

SMAC+SMAC was rereleased as some sort of bundle in the UK and can be found on eBay for <$10 these days, which is a nice change from the days when it was $90+.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #248 on: July 01, 2010, 11:51:58 AM

I remember last time I played System Shock 2 I had a hell of a time getting the videos in to work properly. I'm wondering if there's just some things that Steam can't package reliably/unfuck inorder to make them viable for sale.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #249 on: July 01, 2010, 12:04:13 PM

I'll probably pick up X3 after I get home unless there's a valid reason why I shouldn't. SEE: It's horribly broken and/or ridiculously repetative.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #250 on: July 01, 2010, 12:12:12 PM

Are there any horror stories with GTA: San Andreas on PC?  I've been eying it all this sale as I've never played it, but didn't think to see if it actually worked awesome, for real.

I got GTA:SA on PC back when it first came out and it worked fine for me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: July 01, 2010, 12:15:14 PM

I'm tempted by Thief 3, but not that tempted, since I have a free copy of Thief 2 from Computer Gaming World.

Dragon Age Awakening at $24 is still $9 too high for me to bother with, especially since a Steam copy of the game won't work with a retail disc version.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #252 on: July 01, 2010, 12:19:39 PM

I got Thief 3 for free from a buddy. I don't think I lasted 2 hours. It wasn't horrible, but compared to the first, it wasn't worth the effort.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #253 on: July 01, 2010, 12:23:40 PM

Dragon Age Awakening at $24 is still $9 too high for me to bother with, especially since a Steam copy of the game won't work with a retail disc version.

You're $5 higher than I'm willing to go. I'm not paying more than $10 for essentially glorified DLC.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #254 on: July 01, 2010, 12:52:11 PM

I'm personally holding out for a GotY edition with Origins, Awakening, and all of the overpriced DLC in one package.

And then I'm going to wait for that to go on sale.
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: July 01, 2010, 01:45:23 PM

I'm personally holding out for a GotY edition with Origins, Awakening, and all of the overpriced DLC in one package.

I agree with what you said, and I'm doing this with Fallout 3 as well.   awesome, for real

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 01, 2010, 01:50:52 PM

Well Fallout 3's GOTY was on sale last Christmas, which was when I got it. I think it's been on sale once during this marathon, but I don't remember.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #257 on: July 01, 2010, 03:15:39 PM

Was X3 on sale? Cause it doesnt seem to be now. Thats a bummer. I wanted to try that game.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #258 on: July 01, 2010, 03:20:01 PM

Well Fallout 3's GOTY was on sale last Christmas, which was when I got it. I think it's been on sale once during this marathon, but I don't remember.

It was.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: July 01, 2010, 04:12:35 PM

Was X3 on sale? Cause it doesnt seem to be now. Thats a bummer. I wanted to try that game.

X3 Gold (Reunion + Terran Conflict) was on sale for just a hair over $10, but it suddenly and mysteriously got pulled entirely after a few hours. Now it's not discounted at all.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #260 on: July 01, 2010, 04:30:37 PM

Yeah, I'm pissed. That was the only one I was going to buy today.

pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:25 PM

I bought Puzzle Kingdoms for $1.00

It's playing a lot better than Galactrix and Gyromancer thus far.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #262 on: July 01, 2010, 07:53:06 PM

Yeah, this. I'm at the point where it's no longer worth my while to buy boxed PC games (excepting bargain basement LAN-fodder). But I've certainly stopped buying new release PC games altogether. I just wait for them to come out on Steam, and then go on deep sale.

I haven't bought anything with this sale - I still haven't installed all the shit I bought over Christmas, let alone played them...

Is Thief or Thief II the one that I should apparently play? I have one or both on disc, but it broke when I tried to play it a couple of years ago. Does whichever one is important to play run alright on modern systems via Steam?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:57:27 PM by Azazel »

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 01, 2010, 09:06:39 PM

Is Thief or Thief II the one that I should apparently play? I have one or both on disc, but it broke when I tried to play it a couple of years ago. Does whichever one is important to play run alright on modern systems via Steam?

Thief 1&2 aren't on Steam, only Thief 3.  None of Looking Glass' old stuff is on there, looks like (Thief 3 is by Ion Storm).   I believe there are often some issues getting them to run on anything newer than Windows 98, anyway.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #264 on: July 02, 2010, 12:43:11 AM

Hm, on closer inspection, it's Thief: Deadly Shadows. Is it any good? $3 for the next 9 hours or so...

OcellotJenkins
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 02, 2010, 07:05:22 AM

Anyone played Birth of America?  Is it worth the $1.50?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: July 02, 2010, 07:30:46 AM

Hm, on closer inspection, it's Thief: Deadly Shadows. Is it any good? $3 for the next 9 hours or so...

Do you have a widescreen monitor?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Thief:_Deadly_Shadows

I mentioned earlier I couldn't get it running at 1080p, but had run it at 720p when it first came out. I think it's a really solid entry into the franchise for the first half of the game. I haven't been able to finish it because the middle part gets completely out of hand with the factions all slaughtering each other and blaming it on you, making you KOS to just about everything between missions.

But for $3, if you like the series and can get it working, it's a good deal (also: look for the user-made high res packs). Even with the AI wonkiness, I still want to go back and play it.

Also, it seemed to work ok on 7, other than resolution issues - which is because Ion Storm ported it from the xbox and didn't open the .ini to real resolutions, but made it Resolution = 3 (or 4 or whatever retardedness).
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #267 on: July 02, 2010, 07:49:42 AM

Yeah, as sky says, for thief, it's recommended you use the high resolution pack as well as the widescreen hack:

Here's the link to it: http://www.john-p.com/textures/Thief-DS/index.shtml

I haven't loaded up thief yet. I think it's worth $3, and I'm eager to see the aforementioned most scary level ever.

Edit: it doesn't like dual cores, make sure you set the affinity to cpu0
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:33:11 AM by bhodi »
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #268 on: July 02, 2010, 08:04:58 AM

Update on my return: it went through but Steam said basically, "this is a one time deal, we won't do it again."

Wha?

Thief:
Checking now to see if it's not too late by now.

Yep. got it. 2 hours to spare. Thanks.

Anyone else finding that Steam is a slow POS to load up nowadays?

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: July 02, 2010, 08:30:08 AM

Update on my return: it went through but Steam said basically, "this is a one time deal, we won't do it again."

Wha?

He returned a game where they gave him credit. I had inquired about that since I was told under no circumstances do they issue refunds. So he has updated more news that he was given.

As for Steam running slow, it has been since this sale started which is pretty understandable since their servers must be taking a beating right now.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #270 on: July 02, 2010, 08:35:06 AM

A little piece of cool news:

Quote from: Mario
Thanks for all the support for Shatter during the sale yesterday.

The online reporting will be a little foggy until we get a few days clear of it. However, by applying a comprehensive analysis I believe I can accurately estimate the number of copies sold at "shitloads".

It is even possible that we sold more than twice as many copies of Shatter yesterday alone as we have sold since initial release in March right up until the sale.

Quote from: Mario
[Is this a good thing?]
The answer is yes.

While we may have been able to make some portion of those sales at the full $9.99 price, the discount will have helped some people make up their mind, and will have brought in new customers who had never heard of it before. There is now a much larger pool of players, hopefully many of whom are advocates of the title and will suggest it in the future to their friends.

So, we get a revenue spike, a more active player base, more subscribers to our Facebook/Twitter etc, and a word of mouth boost out of it that should help our ongoing sales.

Digital distribution is awesome.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:21 AM

Someone needs to staple that to Kotick's face.

AKA Gyoza
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:35 AM

Shatter is an amazing game. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 02, 2010, 09:02:38 AM

Someone needs to staple that to Kotick's face.
And Stardock (given my comments in the Elemental thread about galciv2).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #274 on: July 02, 2010, 10:06:06 AM

As for Steam running slow, it has been since this sale started which is pretty understandable since their servers must be taking a beating right now.
System is majorly FUBAR'd at the moment. I can't make purchases even after I manage to get the pages to load.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: July 02, 2010, 10:06:39 AM

Borderlands for $10.19 today...I may have to pick it up at last.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #276 on: July 02, 2010, 10:08:00 AM

System is majorly FUBAR'd at the moment. I can't make purchases even after I manage to get the pages to load.
Okay I take that back. The store shows that you haven't made the purchase (throws an error) but it might have actually gone through (you'll get an email receipt).
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 02, 2010, 10:09:07 AM

"The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request.  Please try again in a few minutes."

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #278 on: July 02, 2010, 10:22:23 AM

Pretty shooter heavy today. Considering I own Galaxy at War, I'm pretty much going to pass.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #279 on: July 02, 2010, 10:31:56 AM

Borderlands at ~$10 is really crazy.

The only other stand-out besides that and HL2 is Beat Hazard ($2.49).  It's a twin-stick shooter mixed with Audiosurf, although it's different in one key way.  Whereas Audiosurf varies from calm and slightly boring to vaguely uncontrollable, I think Beat Hazard does a much better job of using slow sections for pacing and really letting the fast parts of tracks give you a boost instead of just forcing to hold on and hope for the best.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  
Jump to: