Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:41:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  (Read 76752 times)
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #210 on: June 30, 2010, 11:52:54 AM

For this round, I'd take shatter, torchlight and the void. Shatter because it's the best breakout game since arkanoid, torchlight because it's awesome, and the void because it's ... well, it's the void. It's cool and worth $5. I already have all but shatter though.

Don't really know about red orchestra, but arma2 is the go-to for realism. Pass on flatout because they removed locational vehicle damage.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:54:55 AM by bhodi »
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: June 30, 2010, 12:07:07 PM

I definitely recommend getting The Void for 5 bucks.  While not for everyone, it's fantastic in my opinion.  If you're impatient/easily frustrated/hate resource  management games/hate anything that could be considered an art game, perhaps don't get it.  Otherwise, buy the damn thing.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: June 30, 2010, 12:36:10 PM

whoa whoa whoa.  resource management game?

I am intrigued, and would like to hear more about this "Void".
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #213 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:24 PM

whoa whoa whoa.  resource management game?

I am intrigued, and would like to hear more about this "Void".
Check out the SA's Let's Play. It's really good. I recommend watching the first ep or two because he shows you a few tips and tricks that makes the game much less confusing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:41:24 PM by bhodi »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #214 on: June 30, 2010, 02:10:07 PM

Sound intriguing.  I'm tempted to pick up that (The Void) and Red Faction Guerilla, but the RFG forum is awash in complaints about performance.  I'm wary to take chances with that again.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #215 on: June 30, 2010, 02:12:37 PM

Sound intriguing.  I'm tempted to pick up that (The Void) and Red Faction Guerilla, but the RFG forum is awash in complaints about performance.  I'm wary to take chances with that again.

Yeah I make it a point now to really scour the forums first for technical issues due to some of my bargain purchases at the beginning of the year. There is a lot of gold out there, but if the front page is soured with "WTF CRASHES" posts, I'm not even wasting $5 to play the CTD Lottery.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: June 30, 2010, 02:41:41 PM

Red Orchestra?

Any input on this one? I read that it's supposed to be super-realistic, but is it any fun, and will I enjoy it more than say a Battlefield 2?

It has a lot of touches that make it feel realistic, but still a lot of fun.  It's hard to explain, really.  There are many more little things you have to worry about, similar to Arma or WW2OL, but it manages to avoid the cock-punchy feel.  A good example is the feel of the iron sights.  There is a lot more finesse needed to use them compared to other games, where they are often simply a zoom + accuracy boost.  When you succeed with a nice long range shot using them, though, it's that much more satisfying.

My friends and I would grab this game every time they did the 'free weekend' deals, and had a blast for a few days each time.  We were just too lazy/cheap to actually plunk the money down.  It is hands down better than Battlefield 2, as far as infantry combat goes.  No vehicles is the only drawback.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46:30 PM

I haven't played much of Red Orchestra since it first released on Steam, but I know for a fact the original UT2004 version of RO had tanks and trucks and APCs at least.

It's strange if Ostfront doesn't.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #218 on: June 30, 2010, 02:48:44 PM

Red Orchestra?

Any input on this one? I read that it's supposed to be super-realistic, but is it any fun, and will I enjoy it more than say a Battlefield 2?

It has a lot of touches that make it feel realistic, but still a lot of fun.  It's hard to explain, really.  There are many more little things you have to worry about, similar to Arma or WW2OL, but it manages to avoid the cock-punchy feel.  A good example is the feel of the iron sights.  There is a lot more finesse needed to use them compared to other games, where they are often simply a zoom + accuracy boost.  When you succeed with a nice long range shot using them, though, it's that much more satisfying.

My friends and I would grab this game every time they did the 'free weekend' deals, and had a blast for a few days each time.  We were just too lazy/cheap to actually plunk the money down.  It is hands down better than Battlefield 2, as far as infantry combat goes.  No vehicles is the only drawback.

How well designed is the multiplayer server browser? Even if it is way better than BC2 or CoD, if it has a sparse server listing and/or horrible filtering controls, I'd think twice about it. I know, sounds like whine, but really, the BC2 browser makes Baby Shiva cry.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: June 30, 2010, 02:52:02 PM

As far as I remember, Red Orchestra's server browser is no different from a standard Steam one.

Also, if you get RO, you also get a few bonus 'games' as well, like Mare Nostrum, which is essentially a free mod campaign, and is apparently set in North Africa.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that RO's community is really small. The Steam server browser only shows maybe a dozen heavily active RO servers, and no active Mare Nostrum ones.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:54:34 PM by koro »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #220 on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:36 PM

Red Orchestra undeservedly won the Make Something Unreal contest I believe. It's a "realistic" WWII mod focused on Russians Vs. Nazis and the experience can be summed up as running around confused until you suddenly fall over dead.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: June 30, 2010, 03:45:15 PM

Ended up buying Shatter + Red Orchestra + The Void for $10. Really, no reason to not try these out at that price. Hell, $15 if you want those 3 and Red Faction. Today was a good day.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: June 30, 2010, 04:15:32 PM

The EA sale a while back motivated me to finally actually play Mass Effect, which made me realise what a strong game it is and how much I wanted to see what happened in the sequel. So very happy to see the single EA title I want re-appear on the daily sales. 40$ US isn't really an amazing special given inflated prices and retail discounts but damnit, I want.

Still need to finish my infiltrator veteran / paragon and vanguard hardcore play through though... but at least it's sitting ready for me now.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #223 on: June 30, 2010, 05:35:43 PM

I played shatter for the first time, it's like.... awesome. If you haven't bought it, you really need to. Right now. I can see why people said that it was the best deal today, by far.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: June 30, 2010, 06:25:54 PM

Okay yeah Shatter is indeed pretty awesome.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #225 on: June 30, 2010, 09:07:24 PM

Holy shit, you guys aren't kidding!  Shatter is fucking great!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: June 30, 2010, 10:12:45 PM

You guys sold me on Shatter and The Void.  I also bought ME2, because it was there.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: July 01, 2010, 06:57:00 AM

Red Faction Guerrilla is pretty fun, definitely worth the 5 bucks.  The story I could do with or without, but roaming around razing buildings is worth the price of admission.  No crashes so far or anything, runs smooth and stable on my machine.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:10 AM

The entire first page of my gmail account is now officially nothing but "thank you for your purchase" messages from steam.

I am the .00000001428%
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: July 01, 2010, 10:20:33 AM

Get out the wallets again, it's a new day!  awesome, for real In other words, OP updated.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: July 01, 2010, 10:21:51 AM

Galaxies for $5? I'll bite.

Also, I'm glad I held off on buying Tropico 3 earlier in the week.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #231 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:56 AM

Galaxies for $5? I'll take it.

...oh wait, you mean *I* have to pay $5. Nevermind.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:54 AM

I'm in for Madballs ($2), Star Wars Galaxies ($5, hello emulator), Dragon Age Awakenings ($24, cheaper than during the EA sale why so serious?),

I'm contemplating X3: Gold ($10) and Misadventures of PB Winterbottom ($2.50).
Rasix

Reply #233 on: July 01, 2010, 10:24:31 AM

Hmm. X3 deal.  I think I've already bought enough shit I'll never play.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #234 on: July 01, 2010, 10:25:51 AM

Only thing I'm really considering today is Tropico, but I'm not sold on it yet.   I've actually shown pretty good self control through this whole thing so far, and I'm trying not to buy things I won't play, or won't play more than once. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #235 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:26 AM

I bought it last time it went on sale. It is pretty fun, and something you can definitely leave and pick up again at your leisure.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #236 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:05 AM

hahaha galaxies. I already own X3, tropico, titan quest on steam, but I'd recommend those.

This go around, it's thief for me, since I never played it and it apparently has one of the best / most scary levels ever created.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: July 01, 2010, 10:28:31 AM

Are there any horror stories with GTA: San Andreas on PC?  I've been eying it all this sale as I've never played it, but didn't think to see if it actually worked awesome, for real.

As for the rest: $54 for Dragon Age Origins DDE and Awakening is a bit hard to recommend the day after $30 less bought you Mass Effect 2 (and I played the pants off Dragon Age when it came out).  If you are thinking about getting Dragon Age, do spring for the Digital Deluxe Edition for $6 more as that gets you Warden's Keep (which is quite good) for basically a dollar less than the DLC price.

Awakenings was good, if constantly disappointing, but $24... yeah.  I'd only get it if you've already been waiting for it to go on sale.

Titan Quest Gold is an easy recommendation at $5 if you dig Diablo II-clones.  I wouldn't recommend it over Torchlight, but they're different enough that I like keeping both around.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: July 01, 2010, 10:32:52 AM

I bought it last time it went on sale. It is pretty fun, and something you can definitely leave and pick up again at your leisure.

See, that sounds good on paper, but my problem is that I tend to get totally engrossed in one or two games that eat all my time, and then when I get sick of those, rather than going back to those games I've got sitting around, i get something new to play all the time.  It leaves me precious little time for games I won't play much.  Of course, if theres a single player game I can knock off in a day or two and then shelf it and say  "that was worth 5 bucks" thats the sort of thing I've been trying to pick up on this sale generally.

Maybe not the most rational way to determine what to buy, but it works for me.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:20 AM

Only thing I'm really considering today is Tropico, but I'm not sold on it yet.   I've actually shown pretty good self control through this whole thing so far, and I'm trying not to buy things I won't play, or won't play more than once. 

Well, there's a demo for Tropico if you're balking on it, but it's been one of my favorite sim type games since the first one came out, just for bringing something a tiny bit different to the table.  Executing one's political rivals never gets old, dammit.
Rasix

Reply #240 on: July 01, 2010, 10:34:48 AM

Are there any horror stories with GTA: San Andreas on PC?  I've been eying it all this sale as I've never played it, but didn't think to see if it actually worked awesome, for real.

It worked when I tried it. Looks terrible but cranked as high as it can go it's not too bad.  The PC controls are kind of bad, but weren't too bad to get used to.

Update on my return: it went through but Steam said basically, "this is a one time deal, we won't do it again."

Hmm. X3 deal.  I think I've already bought enough shit I'll never play.

Sounds good.  However, in less than a month my life is going to get owned by Starcraft II.  For how long, who knows.  Then Cata's coming up.  GAH. Fuck you, Blizzard.

edit: It'd be rad if Blizzard titles went to Steam at some point.  The prices for some of their older games that I've lost disks (SC, WC3) for are quite outrageous.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:38:14 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #241 on: July 01, 2010, 10:41:39 AM

This is getting addictive. Grabbed Red Faction and Flatout ($2 and ragdoll physics crash games are funny) yesterday. Grabbed Titan Quest Today.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #242 on: July 01, 2010, 10:42:03 AM

edit: It'd be rad if Blizzard titles went to Steam at some point.  The prices for some of their older games that I've lost disks (SC, WC3) for are quite outrageous.
If you still have the keys you can register them on the new B.Net and then download the games.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #243 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:03 AM

Tell me about it.  A few years back I couldn't find me D2 disks and I actually went as far as buying the battlechest.  Of course, a year after that I found the originals.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:15 AM

My brother-in-law sure is glad he married my sister right now. I used these Steam sales to convert as many games as possible to digital format via steam and gog (some are old enough to already have data errors as I realized with Bards Tale 3 a year ago), and he gets all the boxed versions from me. 14 right now and counting. Damn you Steam!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: 6/24-7/4: Christmas in June/July (complete pack sales and one day sale)  
Jump to: