Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Fantasy Hockey, '07-'08 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Hockey, '07-'08  (Read 136735 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #350 on: May 26, 2008, 07:55:20 PM

So that's two shutouts in two games?  Fuck.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: May 26, 2008, 08:05:22 PM

So that's two shutouts in two games?  Fuck.

It's fscking embarrassing. Complete. Domination.

The whole team played poor with possible exception of Kennedy who really skated all night.

Malkin has pulled a Houdini.

Though you can't fault goalie when you can't score a goal, Fleury let some soft goals in. Of course, of wouldn't have mattered since the Pens can't score.

And just as soon as it looked like they were getting it together, they sabotaged the effort with stupid penalties and cheap shots to a guy (Franzen) who hasn't been a factor and is just getting back from getting his bell rung. And for Gates sake, if you're going to run a goalie, go all out on it, and not some chicken shit shove.

Question isn't whether they bounce back, at this point — it's if the Penguins can even tally a goal in the series.

Give the Red Wings a lot of credit. They're showing how they're at a much higher level than the Pens…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: May 26, 2008, 09:24:18 PM

Well, the constant holding and interference by the Wings (and Osgood's diving, cough) is certainly playing a role in how ridiculously effective they've been at totally smothering the Penguin's offense.. fact is, they're just the better team. I'd be awfully surprised to see this series go five games. Especially if interference isn't going to be called (which it often simply isn't in the finals, I realize that).

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: May 27, 2008, 07:45:47 AM

Here ya go:

Yep. That about sums it up.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #354 on: May 27, 2008, 07:24:46 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #355 on: May 28, 2008, 10:23:55 AM

I watched every game of the Dallas v. Detroit series, and every match between Philly and Pitt.

I had no doubt in my mind Detroit would destroy them due to the fact that everything Detroit does is just so much better than everyone else. They have more solid goaltending, better passing, more zone control, and harder hitting defense. I picked a 4-0 sweep as a joke, but it might just come to pass. I think more likely that the Pens will split the home half of the series and lose the 5th game back in Detroit.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: May 28, 2008, 10:38:44 AM

I've got money on Pittsburgh tonight. Also parlaying on a couple of scoring lines. Crosby gets more than Datsyuk and Malkin gets more than Zetterberg. I'll be making my money back tenfold if so.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO PENGUINS!

I'm incredibly surprised that Detroit isn't more of a favourite on the sports betting sites, however. Which means smart money is REALLY on Detroit tonight. So there's the tip if any of you guys want to make some money. Detroit. Under. I knew god damn well to take that bet on the first two games. I'd be rolling in the hot hot winnings now.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #357 on: May 28, 2008, 12:39:36 PM

Red Wings are making Pens look like a JV team out there.

Wings and Pistons = Only good thing about living in Michigan

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #358 on: May 28, 2008, 01:36:48 PM

Slayerik has just convinced me that the Pens will pull this out at the last minute.  I'm invoking the rule of D3.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #359 on: May 28, 2008, 07:04:22 PM

Yep.  Muthafuggin' awesome.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #360 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:59 PM

You live in Michigan, Slayerik?

I'd agree about the Wings but not so much about the Pistons.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:30:59 PM by ElMuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: May 28, 2008, 07:36:52 PM

Pens win, Pens win.

Detroit shits themselves if we take the next one.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: May 29, 2008, 08:10:34 AM

Pens almost gave it up though, Wings charged hard in 3rd, after getting up 3-1 Pens went complacent, and ref whistle swallowing worked in their favor for a change (though they missed calls early on that should have went in Pens favor).

Line matchups a big factor in this series as game #3 made a sharp contrast to #1 and #2 — getting Crosby out against different line than Zetterburg / Datsyuk line. Zetterburg/Datsyuk line logged some serious ice minutes, thought it would hurt them in 3rd, but didn't seem to factor in… …I revise my previous assessment on Brooks Orpik, he's played outstanding.

Malkin showed up!

I liked the Sydor for Letang swap. Letang has struggled in series and even with Sydor sitting entire playoffs, he's a veteran and is well rested at this point, plus I'm sure skating against Sid and Geno in practice has kept him nimble. He woudn't crack Wings #1-4 setup (hell, #1-6 either), but he can move the puck and puck possession is tonic Pens need.

Scuderi, you got abused by Franzen —  NEVER NEVER give up inside, ride him outside… …come on, you learned this in pee wee hockey…

Gill took some calls, but I think it's worth it to clear the crease, by any means necessary. Thus far, their PK unit (even without him when he's in the box) has been effective.

Fleury let 2 in he should have stopped, but OTOH, he made some spectacular saves on a couple others. And was tested late and prevailed.

Would not be surprised if Red Wings make adjustments and slaughter Pens 5-0 in game #4. OR if Pens win another though I doubt their victory margin is more than a pair of goals (or 3 with empty netter).

When Crosby tallied first, you could sense hockey life being infused into Pens and a friendly crowd got stirred up — it could have easily been coffin time if they went down quick and onset of jeering to nullify home ice…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #363 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:35 AM

The Gill stuff was certainly worth it.

And hey, Holmstrom is out now. We dont' have to watch his diving anymore.

Of course my favourite dive of the game was actually a half dive. Did anyone see Osgood throw himself backward when Roberts skated by him, only to think better of the blatant faggotry and catch himself before he went all the way down?

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #364 on: May 29, 2008, 10:47:44 AM

First goal in game #4 is going to be huge.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #365 on: May 29, 2008, 12:34:13 PM

Fuck.

God that just sucks in about 10000 different ways.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #366 on: May 29, 2008, 12:39:33 PM

Yeah, I saw that. Sucks ass.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #367 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:16 PM

Erm, don't they usually ban such activities in contracts nowadays?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #368 on: May 30, 2008, 05:34:56 AM

I wondered that myself, but I guess not. Was pretty much just an office wide moment of shock yesterday. Kinda makes me feel bad over how much I ragged on the kid's play.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: May 30, 2008, 06:05:51 AM

Apparently, he just bought a bike a couple days ago.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
WayAbvPar

Reply #370 on: May 30, 2008, 07:12:16 AM

Erm, don't they usually ban such activities in contracts nowadays?

I would bet money that they do. Didn't stop Kellen Winslow Jr, or Jay Williams, or Ben Roethlisberger. Kids think they are invincible.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #371 on: May 31, 2008, 02:54:45 PM

I read this on ESPN.com today here:

It is both convenient and predictable for Lemieux to hide in the background at a time when the game most needs its relevant stars in place, because it's always been about convenience for Lemieux.

It's curious how suddenly available and accessible Lemieux was when he took an ownership stake in the team because he was owed millions of dollars in the late 1990s. The more attention focused on the Penguins meant more ticket sales and a better chance at either a new arena deal or a deal to sell the team.

Then, when Lemieux decided he was going to play for Canada at the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics and was named captain of the squad, he couldn't have been more gracious; but, after that was over, when he didn't need the attention, not so much.

Later, when talks to build a new arena in Pittsburgh broke down and Lemieux was at war with local politicians and officials over funding for the project, he was once again available to discuss the issue. He was prepared to sell the team to whoever walked in the door. A couple of suitors, including Jim Balsillie and William "Boots" Del Biaggio, would undoubtedly have tried to move the team as quickly as possible to Southern Ontario or Kansas City, but that fact seems lost in the renaissance of the team.

Not that anyone could blame Lemieux for trying to get the most out this team financially. He's done his time and served the team and the city well.

But let's not paint this with any other brush than what it deserves. The only reason Lemieux isn't making himself available during these finals is because there's nothing in it for him.

And that's more than a little sad.

Ohhhhh, I see.

This guy is a fucking tool. Scott Burnside obviously hasn't watched Pittsburgh hockey, or knows very much about the team other than what he reads.

Doesn't anyone still remember a player who played through more pain than anyone else in hockey at that time and still managed to excel at the game daily?

Fuck. ESPN writers get worse and worse. Fuck Barry Melrose and this tool Scott Burnside.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: May 31, 2008, 09:46:48 PM

I'm kind of curious as to why in the New NHL the team who plays most like the Old NHL is always the one who seems to win the Cup.

Whatever. Congrats Detroit.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #373 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:17 AM

You have to go to war to win the Cup.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #374 on: June 01, 2008, 11:51:44 AM

Well, Detroit didn't have to.

But then again, our entire second line didn't bother showing up for the finals.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #375 on: June 01, 2008, 10:12:07 PM

I read this on ESPN.com today here

Reporter dude miffed over being snubbed on interview requests.

As to game #4, it was a painful one for Pens fans to endure. I don't know if I can take any more, but it likely will be last game of season Monday night.

Pens started good, got goal and had pretty good period despite Detroit tying it up.

After that, it was downhill as Wings were a defensive machine that reduced the little offensive spurts Pens could dribble together into a void of nil. The 5 on 3 was particularly embarrassing, and after that, you could wish, but the verdict was already pronounced. Let me summarize that I've never seen a 5 on 3 shorthanded goal and the Wings came oh so close to netting one.

Granted, it may not have made a difference, but refs call some penalties for show but let a whole bunch of obstruction go on. And the Cleary shooting the stick was an unbelievable missed call — it shocks me that that wasn't called — it was a blatant, intentional act and he should have been whistled for it.

If there's an upside, it's that the Pens were in the entire game, and a couple of lucky bounces, they still could have won, despite being outplayed in periods 2 & 3. The goals Fleury let in he should have had, though the one it looked like he may have been screened out by Gonchar.

Criticism has been squared upon Malkin, but his linemates haven't exactly helped the effort — Sykora has been awful in the series and Malone, while skating hard in spurts, looks like his season was battered out a month ago. And I have no idea why Ruutu is even in the lineup — he's played stupid with the puck (costing them key goal in game #1), and seems always to be a stride to three strides behind, stuck in slow motion. He's not intimidating anybody and is serving only as an object for humor. I would much rather have Laraque in the lineup.

It's been a great season, hopefully they can shed the dead weight and cost inefficient roster pieces and add the needed parts for a run next season.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:23 AM

Granted, it may not have made a difference, but refs call some penalties for show but let a whole bunch of obstruction go on.

It's been brutal. But for whatever reason, the Red Wings have figured out how NHL games are refereed. And it's not that hard to figure out.

1. It's the Finals. Most of the obstruction will be let go.
2. "You can't call it all." -- If all you ever do is hook and hold, they're not going to call 40 penalties a period.
3. Even when they do call you, they'll just call an even up penalty on the other team a few minutes later. So essentially it doesn't matter, and you can do whatever you want.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #377 on: June 02, 2008, 08:32:40 AM

Granted, it may not have made a difference, but refs call some penalties for show but let a whole bunch of obstruction go on.

It's been brutal. But for whatever reason, the Red Wings have figured out how NHL games are refereed. And it's not that hard to figure out.

1. It's the Finals. Most of the obstruction will be let go.
2. "You can't call it all." -- If all you ever do is hook and hold, they're not going to call 40 penalties a period.
3. Even when they do call you, they'll just call an even up penalty on the other team a few minutes later. So essentially it doesn't matter, and you can do whatever you want.

Disagree with that. They call it early and skaters know the bounds, game will be played thusly… …and a few games in the playoffs were actually officiated in that manner. If it's close, it shouldn't be called. But we've seen for years how ticky tack stuff gets called and yet the clutching and grabbing is ignored.

Even with obstruction not being called, that Cleary shooting the broken stick was glaring non-call. Sure some NHL rules nerd can quote why it wasn't, but I don't buy it as does anybody that's ever played the game…

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #378 on: June 02, 2008, 08:57:09 PM

Wow, that's one of the best Stanley Cup Final Games I've ever seen. Three OT's and then Gonchar actually has the balls to tell the announcer he's going to score the winning goal before he does it on the powerplay.

Pure awesome. I can't wait for Game 6.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #379 on: June 02, 2008, 09:00:05 PM

Was Sykora that called the goal.  Gonchar played his first OT shift and got an assist on the goal, though, after being injured in the second period and playing a tiny bit of the third.  Glad I moved back to DC where you can watch the games on regular TV!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #380 on: June 02, 2008, 09:07:11 PM

Ah yes, Sykora, it was still pure win!

El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: June 02, 2008, 09:17:48 PM

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: June 02, 2008, 09:55:04 PM

Don't know if it was one of the best "quality" games ever (game #3 was much better), but in terms of seesawing and gutting it up, yes it was good.

Pens jump out to 2-0 lead and then enter "coast mode". Red Wings dominate from second period on, and were a little over 30 seconds from hoisting, fondling and quaffing from Lord Stanley's cup but Maxine Talbot delayed those plans. And Marc Andre Fleury tucked the Pens fate in his left pad and glove hand. An errant stick, a resulting power play and Sykora, who hadn't had a shot all game (and hadn't scored in like a month) boasts to on-ice NBC color commentator McGuire he's going to nab the game winner, then promptly takes a two minute penalty, a needless  one, at that, deep in the other team's end. Guess he meant next period, and he delivered after Gonchar, sitting for an entire game (the 2nd game of almost 2 full time games) was totally gunshy about firing the puck…

Anything can happen in OT, all it takes is one knuckleball puck or crazy carom even if you're outplayed. As OT periods dragged on, Pens started getting it together, like they had 2 hours earlier…

Big win.

Game 6 in Pittsburgh may still be last game, despite the emotion and momentum. Though who knows? I remember few years back they were down 3-1 to Capitals in series and won a 4 or 5 OT game (seeing eye goal by another Petr, Nedved) and they went on to win series (eventually losing to Florida in conference finals, for which Brian Smolinski losing a faceoff and standing watching opposing center (R. Nidermayer, I believe) waltz in with puck and fire it past Barasso for the difference, was forever indelibly etched into my hockey viewing experience). Then there was the big 4 OT game with Philly they lost and with it a 2-0 series lead went poof (Primeau with the game winner), and Phil advanced.

Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: June 02, 2008, 10:22:41 PM

Could have been 4-0 or 5-0 at one point, though. Penguins missed and got stopped on a lot of chances. Few posts, too.

Detroit dominated that fucking OT, though. Badly.

Fucking quality win and a quality game to watch, though.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
Strazos

Reply #384 on: June 03, 2008, 02:58:49 PM

It was 5 OTs for the PIT/PHL game, btw.

I THINK it's still the longest game in the modern era.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: Fantasy Hockey, '07-'08  
Jump to: