Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 800064 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #3115 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:35 PM

Not that it isn't fun to see you people pile on Lakov, but I think that veers a bit from the intent of the thread.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #3116 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:59 PM

If you're too casual to find it out about the a hit cap, you probably won't ever get to the cool parts of the game
why so serious?

Hah, endgame raids where you have to crunch these kinds of numbers are the worst parts of these games. I never worried about hit in WoW and I don't plan to in Rift.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3117 on: March 25, 2011, 01:36:14 PM

Does it tell you the hit cap or just "hit helps you hit monsters!"

You're the reason why there is an instruction sheet on the side of a box of pop tarts.

Anywho, what they're talking about is WoW figured out the hit cap was confusion from entirely in game sources to determine, so they put:

You have X rating, which is Y%
You will miss X% against +1
You will miss Y% against +2
You will miss Z% against bosses

That seems like a logical tooltip.

It's like saying du was nerfed for idiots because it doesn't only display it's output in blocks anymore.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3118 on: March 25, 2011, 01:45:57 PM

You're the reason why there is an instruction sheet on the side of a box of pop tarts.

I've got a new one for work, thanks! :)

Back at the thread:
If you're too casual to find it out about the a hit cap, you probably don't need to worry about it.

What other genre demands Omniture level reporting so players can write their own dashboards and analyze everything even the developers don't know about?

Of course, that's how the games work, and the top tier players are required to have this info. Otherwise they'd never be successful in that area of content.

If the UI doesn't show it for everyone, it's because these UIs are already complicated enough, and it's not like you need to min/max yourself on the way to the level cap. Besides, lacking this information isn't going to be the primary blocker between you and endgame raiding. The primary roadblock is lifestyle.

Which swings it back around to Rasix's point: if you don't have the lifestyle that includes seeking this information from the endgamers, or are yourself not able to spend the time to go figure it out by trying and failing repeatedly while you pull the numbers, then you truly don't need to worry about it.

But I get it. Not knowing something about a game because the game doesn't tell you is frustrating. It's just this arms race between number crunchers and number providers is one of those things that make this genre so unique.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3119 on: March 25, 2011, 02:22:34 PM

Love Letters

I have to steal that one from time to time, nicely done 
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #3120 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:25 PM

It's like saying du was nerfed for idiots because it doesn't only display it's output in blocks anymore.
Made me smile. Thank you.

And yeah, Lakov may be delusional but you guys are shooting down valid points just because he's become persona non grata in this thread. Having *the* most important stat suddenly become useless past a certain threshold and not telling you what that threshold is is retarded.
Jerrith
Developers

Trion

Reply #3121 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:33 PM

Rogue tanks are the best tank for Greenscale right now.  Warriors are the best dps.  Mages are the best healers.  Clerics.. well they need some help.

Bards suck by the way.  Not in their useless Healing output.  (Useless because it tops everyone off before Chloromancer's Living Veil ticks so you see really large overall numbers) Bards suck because all you do is recast the same 5 motifs over and over and press cadence.

I agree, Draegan.  For those looking for real numbers, here's some actual healing data from a boss in GSB.  Guess what classes map up to each of these bars...

I think Rift is a great game - I'm playing it lots.  I think people are a little confused as to why they're not the best (or at least equal) at the role they expected to play, when they picked their calling.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3122 on: March 25, 2011, 03:40:21 PM

Not worth an internet slap fight, needless to say I disagree with what you said.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:10:55 PM by Lakov_Sanite »

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3123 on: March 25, 2011, 04:14:40 PM

Because you having to check out a website is a much smaller inconvenience than having the game completely spoiled for the people who like figuring shit out.

I am the .00000001428%
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3124 on: March 25, 2011, 04:24:18 PM

Because you having to check out a website is a much smaller inconvenience than having the game completely spoiled for the people who like figuring shit out.

There's nothing to figure out with the hit cap though.

Being below it would require an absolutely stupid sample size of testing data, whereas being above it would be nearly impossible to prove.

"figuring shit out" does not mean 1,000,000 swings against a training dummy with varying levels of +hit to try and get an idea of the actual required values. Which is where the websites get the data if the devs don't just tell people what the number is.

And that's assuming the game even has 100% hit (no critical miss concept of 99% being the cap), wherein you'd never puzzle out the proper number without someone telling you.

Basic mechanics should not be hidden. If you want to "hide" them from the base player, give us a freaking advanced button in options that exposes the mechanics.

Heck, I think WoW did that an expansion ago. You can either have tooltips that say "hurls a ball of fire at your enemy, dealing high damage" or click a button that turns it into "deals 500-600 fire damage"
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3125 on: March 25, 2011, 05:47:51 PM

It's only with Cata that WoW put the Hit (and Expertise) cap in the UI, and even with the setting you mention the tooltips aren't dynamic.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3126 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:17 PM

WoW's damage tooltips? iirc they're dynamic, unless it's a UI mod I've been running forever. It updates with spellpower. Parts of them aren't dynamic though, which is stupid. Apparently mana cost is static, so changes via hotfix or mana cost reduction item are not reflected.

But yeah, the nice tooltips on hit/expertise are new, and imo should be included any time there is a cappable stat in a game. Running tests on if it's worth capping is one thing, knowing if it's possible/what the number IS however should not be guesswork.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3127 on: March 26, 2011, 08:55:14 AM

The addon is DrDamage; without that they don't change with spellpower, attack power, etc. (unless that was also changed in Cata).

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3128 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:51 PM

(unless that was also changed in Cata)

They did it in late Wrath.  The Cataclysm patch notes mentions a UI option to toggle whether you want the damage range or an average.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3129 on: March 27, 2011, 11:10:58 AM

I hear you.  I'm fortunate to be in a guild where I don't have to really PUG.  The game is severely lacking a LFG tool.  I've brought it up many times.  I even asked Hartsman over a beer when I was out at San Fran.

Essentially the answer was, until we can do it perfectly (i.e. automated group created like WOW), they don't want to spend the dev hours on something that will eventually go by the wayside because they are planning on a dungeon finder.

It makes sense from a developer and manager point of view.  But from a player point of you it's pretty shitty.

After seeing how WoW's dungeon finder ended up - which I thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread, being across servers and all - I would so much prefer a simple oldschool LFG dungeon finder that is server specific.

The loss of server community, I think, created shitty community.

Added:  By oldschool LFG dungeon finder, just a simple /who <dungeonlist> or some command that shows who is interested in what dungeon so that people can make their own groups would suffice.  The auto-create group thing is more fancy than necessary, and takes away from players to form their own groups easily. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:17:41 AM by Xanthippe »
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3130 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:03 PM

Please god no cross server stuff. I picked this up wednesday and I've had a fantastic time because the community is so good. I don't really understand why it's hard to find groups with an LFG channel. Is it not global? Or is there something else I'm missing?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3131 on: March 27, 2011, 01:29:13 PM

It's easy to find groups.  I HATE HATE HATE random groups and still got a 20 person raid completed just listening to the level 50 channel.  I too like the fact that the community is server specific.  If they make a cross server LFG tool, I will certainly quit. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3132 on: March 27, 2011, 04:17:26 PM

Hell i wish the warfront queues were single server also.

I am the .00000001428%
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3133 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:17 PM

Hell i wish the warfront queues were single server also.

I have to say, the only unpleasant person I've run into was someone from another server spamming "you are all newbs don't q again"

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3134 on: March 27, 2011, 10:31:49 PM

Looks like I'll get lynched for this, but I'd still prefer a multi-server LFD. I can't find groups with my 50 character for the life of me (despite trolling the /50 and /lfg channels) during my usual playtime, which is admittedly 8 hours in the wrong direction... I guess that's what you get when you play from Europe on a US server. With a multi-server LFD, I could group with aussies from other servers or something.  awesome, for real

Another anecdote: the most annoying people I met in WFs [from the other side] wre from my server, spamming emotes, trash talking in yell with plenty of obscenities, etc. I haven't seen the "ur all bad / l2p / go back 2 wow / ..." kind of talk in warfront chat much at all (just 1-2 isolated instances), but it could be just a fluke.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3135 on: March 28, 2011, 12:08:32 AM

I have yet to attempt a puzzle on Dimroot without some defiant person jumping in and ruining it for me.  I'm done with puzzles for a while.

Other than that, I've had a generally good experience with people. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3136 on: March 28, 2011, 12:16:18 AM

Yeah, so far the community on Shadefallen guardian side (all level ranges) has been nice and helpful.

Re puzzles, I had the opposite experience: In all the cases so far when a number of different people were working on a puzzle, people were courteous and always let everyone get it done normally (perhaps helping them out in the 'click a lot of things really fast' like puzzles, as long as they got the last click) in order*. Even if there were people from multiple factions doing the same puzzle we'd work things out to make it go smoothly -- I guess this is one advantage of having cross-faction communication. awesome, for real

* Standing in line is not too fun, though... I always hopped in a warfront queue when I saw 3+ people at a puzzle; by the time the WF was done, there was usually only one person left.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3137 on: March 28, 2011, 07:02:04 AM

I have yet to attempt a puzzle on Dimroot without some defiant person jumping in and ruining it for me.  I'm done with puzzles for a while.

Other than that, I've had a generally good experience with people.  

Admittedly, I love messing with people on puzzles - especially the Stillmoore puzzle. Just not people of my faction.

Normally, I'll help people of my faction finish though.
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #3138 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:45 AM

Looks like I'll get lynched for this, but I'd still prefer a multi-server LFD. I can't find groups with my 50 character for the life of me (despite trolling the /50 and /lfg channels) during my usual playtime, which is admittedly 8 hours in the wrong direction... I guess that's what you get when you play from Europe on a US server. With a multi-server LFD, I could group with aussies from other servers or something.  awesome, for real

You would be surprised how easy it is say " xxx LFM" and get insta whispers. Instead people do stuff like "class xxx LFG". Really unless you are a cleric it is not gonna work.  I run pugs all way to t2. Have had  bad experience only once  ( its just dps was dpsing slow, and  when I told them so they adjusted  , instead of throwing tantrums, they still were not to par, but we completed the run)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3139 on: March 28, 2011, 08:48:42 AM

"xxx LFM" means babysitting a bunch of mmo players.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3140 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:37 AM

Everyone wants to join a group, nobody wants to make one.  That's really the only reason some people sit lfg for days and others run dungeons non stop.

I am the .00000001428%
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #3141 on: March 29, 2011, 04:53:03 AM

Thats why its best to advertise a group and say must have vent, that way you can yell at them and call them stupid r'tards straight through your mic
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3142 on: March 29, 2011, 11:25:18 AM

I've been saying "no mic" for years.  I suppose it's more polite than "I don't want to talk to you". 

But really, I don't have a working mic.

-Rasix
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #3143 on: March 29, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Android Authenticator app was posted in the Android market, even though it wasn't officially released yet. The result? People try it before it's released and locked out of their accounts and needing to contact customer support or wait a few hours for the updated login client why so serious?. [Edit: in less than 3 hours the issue with people locked out for activating the application early are already back to normal as a fix was made on accounts it seems]

On the bright side - there is an authenticator being released "shortly" (I'm guessing today based on this post) for Android and is coming soon for Applie iOS 3.0+

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:05:37 PM by Segoris »
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #3144 on: March 30, 2011, 01:20:02 PM

Android Authenticator app was posted in the Android market, even though it wasn't officially released yet. The result? People try it before it's released and locked out of their accounts and needing to contact customer support or wait a few hours for the updated login client why so serious?. [Edit: in less than 3 hours the issue with people locked out for activating the application early are already back to normal as a fix was made on accounts it seems]

On the bright side - there is an authenticator being released "shortly" (I'm guessing today based on this post) for Android and is coming soon for Applie iOS 3.0+

What? No Blackberry App?

OMG Tryon h8t biznizmans.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #3145 on: May 09, 2011, 09:26:38 AM

RIFTCONNECT
* The optional social network integrations in RIFT have been combined and expanded under the heading 'RiftConnect'.
* Settings for Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and YouTube can now be accessed via a button on the lower left corner of the patcher as well as the Settings menu in-game.
* Facebook sign-in status can only be changed from the game patcher.
* In-game recorded video now has options for Twitter, Tumblr, and Facebook sharing.
* The commands used to post updates from in-game are:
  - Facebook: /fb, /fbpic
  - Tumblr: /tumblr, /tumblrpic
  - Twitter: /tweet, /tweetpic
  - To send out to everything you're currently logged in to: /blast, /blastpic

awesome, for real

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3146 on: May 09, 2011, 10:18:07 AM

And it's voluntary, imagine that.  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #3147 on: May 10, 2011, 06:30:51 AM

- To send out to everything you're currently logged in to: /blast, /blastpic

If they were really cool, the command would have been: /WUPHF

http://youtu.be/ytc9-wGCHW0
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3148 on: May 19, 2011, 11:59:53 AM

$33.50 on Steam this weekend (33% off)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3149 on: May 19, 2011, 12:05:36 PM

$33.50 on Steam this weekend (33% off)

It really needs to come down to $19.95.  The game requires server consolidation, an influx of new players, or both.  Major zone invasions in off hours kill the ability for new players to complete quests.

-  Mark Twain
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: