Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:40:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 800114 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #630 on: November 10, 2010, 04:04:45 PM

I expected a "hey look at this instance" to not seem like it was just a handful of player characters fighting 1 or 2 lone mobs on what looks like a part of the general outside world. I don't necessarily want to see in game UI or anything, but some actual group beating on waves of monsters that look different than "dude in brown leather v52.87" with apparently no spell effects or anything.

They can stretch the truth, I don't mind. But at least make it look interesting. That looked like  some GM turned on FRAPS and floated above 4 people killing 1 mob each on top of a mountain.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #631 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:05 PM

That video showed me that shit was working and that I can expect a familiar feel.

You should be plenty satisfied with the current MMO offerings then.  

That's a bit of a stretch from me saying their game looks like it works and it looks like what I expect an MMO to look like. Don't be touchy because I'm wondering why people are over reacting just a bit.

Like everyone else i want to see evolution in this genre, however I am not aware of any amazing technology that allows them to design differently than we have had in the past.

Edit: If this game works well on my computer, and doesn't have tedious grind I will buy it and play the shit out of it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:16:10 PM by Pennilenko »

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #632 on: November 10, 2010, 04:18:30 PM

Edit: If this game works well on my computer, and doesn't have tedious grind I will buy it and play the shit out of it.

I would have agreed with you 5 years ago.  Now I expect a little more.  I want interesting gameplay that is at least a little visually appealing.  I want attention to detail.  I want novel classes, new mechanics, and things to do other than grind mobs.  I want a new drug that isn't EQ2, LotRO, or WoW.  

Maybe I want too much.  I know that I'm not alone.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #633 on: November 10, 2010, 04:35:13 PM

I would have agreed with you 5 years ago.  Now I expect a little more.  I want interesting gameplay that is at least a little visually appealing.  I want attention to detail.  I want novel classes, new mechanics, and things to do other than grind mobs.  I want a new drug that isn't EQ2, LotRO, or WoW.  

Maybe I want too much.  I know that I'm not alone.

I want what you want man. We all want what you want. The problem is that there aren't any new people making new tech in the industry. At this point, like I said, if it just works and isn't grindy i will be totally satisfied just to have something newish.

We aren't going to see anything new and fantastic in the genre until investors get a mind set change and all the old hands get fired and some new blood gets discovered.

Everyone working on this title is old hand, old school types. I was completely expecting new rehash on EQ/EQ2/WOW/LOTR.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #634 on: November 11, 2010, 12:18:08 AM

The waving weapons at things from 20 feet away thing was pretty jarring.

A thousand times this.

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #635 on: November 11, 2010, 12:32:23 PM

A thousand times this.

Giant hammer theory: You're so strong that your attach, even from a distance, has the power to damage. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #636 on: November 13, 2010, 07:57:05 AM

A thousand times this.

That is so getting fixed.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #637 on: November 13, 2010, 08:06:10 AM

A thousand times this.

That is so getting fixed.

You're making the weapon models longer? Everyone gets a 30-foot polearm skill?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #638 on: November 13, 2010, 12:11:39 PM

Just saw the video.  The other video I watched w/ showing the Rifts was much better.  The most recent one is terrible.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #639 on: November 13, 2010, 02:25:28 PM

In game MMOG combat never really looks good in a cinematic unless it's zoomed out and quick.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #640 on: November 18, 2010, 11:43:03 AM

First Rift beta event will be on December 3rd

REDWOOD SHORES, Calif. – November 18, 2010 – Trion Worlds, a global developer and publisher of premium online games, announced today that the first closed beta event for RIFTTM, the highly-anticipated MMORPG, is scheduled to take place December 3-6, 2010. Gamers worldwide have the chance to participate in one or all of the upcoming beta events by creating an account at www.RIFTgame.com.

“This is a momentous event for the entire Trion team, as well as the fans that have been following RIFT since we first announced the game,” said Scott Hartsman, RIFT’s Executive Producer and Trion’s Chief Creative Officer. “We’ve created this deep, vibrant world that’s just waiting to be populated with enthusiastic players, and our hope is that gamers will enjoy playing the game as much as we’ve enjoyed building it.”

Players interested participating in the closed beta event series can sign up for an account now at www.RIFTgame.com. Additionally, players can improve their chances of being selected by obtaining VIP beta-keys that Trion will be giving away on RIFT’s Facebook, Twitter, and community forum pages leading up to each of the event. If selected, testers will be notified via email a few days before the start of each beta event with download and feedback instructions.

Featuring the first 20 levels of play, the “Rise of the Defiant” closed beta event will include the full starting zone for RIFT’s technomagical Defiant faction, plus the Plane of Death-invaded land of Freemarch. Players can tour the fortress-city of Meridian, and battle hordes of undead in the Iron Tomb dungeon.

I've got 5 VIP keys to give away through Rift Junkies.  Not sure how I'm going to do it.  Going to try to give them away is some fashion that involves the least amount of bullshit, but just short of just giving them to people.  Gonna give them away probably the week leading up to the 3rd.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:44:47 AM by Draegan »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #641 on: November 18, 2010, 11:48:32 AM

Ugh....gotta use facebook or twitter to get a VIP key.

Guess I will just take whatever free weekend they give me and hope I get the time to play. Only thing I wish is that they had a way to link people together so, say, me and my 3 pals who played other games together could all try it at the same time instead of one person one weekend and one another weekend.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #642 on: November 18, 2010, 12:03:33 PM

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person in the world not on Facebook or Twitter.  I guess that goes hand-in-hand with the fact that I just recently bought a cell phone.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #643 on: November 18, 2010, 12:27:34 PM

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person in the world not on Facebook or Twitter.  I guess that goes hand-in-hand with the fact that I just recently bought a cell phone.

You aren't alone, and I only have a cell phone because it was issued to me by work.  But then, I don't like people, so that might be a large portion of it for me.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #644 on: November 18, 2010, 12:42:17 PM

I'm not on facebook or twitter either, though I have to qualify that by saying I used to be on Facebook, but deleted my account when it started getting insane.

Oh, also I've had a cell phone for years, but no landline, soooo yea.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #645 on: November 18, 2010, 01:29:23 PM

I'm starting to think that I'm the only person in the world not on Facebook or Twitter. 

I am not as well.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #646 on: November 18, 2010, 01:31:16 PM

No cell phone, facebook or twitting. I do kinda backdoor facebook with the fiancee's account, though. She's friended a bunch of the bands and cultural stuff I'd use it for. Even that's annoying because people try to talk to me through her. If you don't know my email or where to pm me, there might be a reason for it. Mostly just call me, and I'll screen that, too.

Drae, let me know when least amount of bullshit means just giving them away to people :p Although honestly, there are probably people who actually enjoy mmo that would be better suited.  why so serious?
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #647 on: November 18, 2010, 01:56:13 PM

You just need to send Scott some of your "special recipe dressing" for Thanksgiving, I am sure he will make you a VIP then.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #648 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:49 PM

I deleted my Facebook to prevent Blizzard from informing everyone I know just how long I spent on my Warlock last night.  "Oh, you're late for work this morning?  Traffic eh?  Yea it looks like it was really backed up around Stranglethorn Vale at 4:30 this morning."

AKA Gyoza
Le0
Terracotta Army

Reply #649 on: November 19, 2010, 02:31:20 AM

you can disable this sort of stuff by the way, and you should no one cares that you achieved something in Wow !
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #650 on: November 19, 2010, 06:20:05 AM

I deleted my Facebook to prevent Blizzard from informing everyone I know just how long I spent on my Warlock last night.  "Oh, you're late for work this morning?  Traffic eh?  Yea it looks like it was really backed up around Stranglethorn Vale at 4:30 this morning."
We have a couple people at work who do the stupid facebook games. Hey, see you were fifteen minutes late this morning. Did you get the dung for your farm you were asking for at 3am?

In topical news, looks like they dropped the pot. It's just Rift now.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #651 on: November 19, 2010, 09:13:57 AM

You have to be careful about that stuff. I see people with their YouTube account associated with their Twitter account, so that every time they "like" a YouTube vid it shows up on their Twitter timeline. As some people use YouTube for fun and Twitter for professional purposes, it sometimes looks bad.

On topic, I signed up for the Rift beta claiming I was a member of a guild named f13/Bat Country. If enough people sign up on that basis, maybe it will come true!
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #652 on: November 19, 2010, 01:26:04 PM

You have to be careful about that stuff. I see people with their YouTube account associated with their Twitter account, so that every time they "like" a YouTube vid it shows up on their Twitter timeline. As some people use YouTube for fun and Twitter for professional purposes, it sometimes looks bad.

On topic, I signed up for the Rift beta claiming I was a member of a guild named f13/Bat Country. If enough people sign up on that basis, maybe it will come true!

We're still waiting for access to the Jumpgate guild beta. Good luck with that!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #653 on: November 19, 2010, 01:34:50 PM

Sky is in charge of the Bat Country "guild" beta signup.

And considering his questionable "relationship" with Hartsman, we will be lucky if we don't all get served with restraining orders instead of beta keys  tongue

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #654 on: November 19, 2010, 01:40:09 PM

It's fine.  I have plausible deniability because I was stalking Raph at the time.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #655 on: November 19, 2010, 02:58:17 PM

Hey, they got Rob King and Paul Romero doing music. That is very DRILLING AND MANLINESS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIYMAuPEiE8

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #656 on: November 21, 2010, 10:43:06 AM

...I have my VIP key already. I whored it up on Facebook for a while until I managed to get one.

Does... am I a bad person?

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #657 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:52 AM

...I have my VIP key already. I whored it up on Facebook for a while until I managed to get one.

Does... am I a bad person?

You are terrible.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #658 on: November 22, 2010, 09:59:52 AM

If by 'in charge' you mean made a post on the official site, then yes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #659 on: November 22, 2010, 11:09:03 AM

Sometimes that's all it takes, Mr. Bossmandude.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #660 on: November 22, 2010, 05:00:22 PM

They keep sending me emails with beta in the subject that are not beta invites.  This is irksome.

I am the .00000001428%
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #661 on: November 22, 2010, 05:25:12 PM

If by 'in charge' you mean made a post on the official site, then yes.

Any success we all share in.

Any failure and we blame you.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #662 on: November 22, 2010, 10:43:47 PM

This is about the only upcoming MMO I have any interest in at the moment.  All these different beta keys flying around and community beta key and increased chance of beta and blah blah is getting annoying though.  I can handle waiting for a beta key I'll probably never get until its open for all but all these hoops and reminders of facebook giveaways and stuff rub my face in it more than most.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #663 on: November 22, 2010, 11:02:58 PM

Their betas currently appear to be targetted stress-test type things and not a "start and play through to level cap" kind of thing.

And the facebook advertising stuff is a cheap way to generate buzz these days.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #664 on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:45 AM

I've got 5 VIP keys to give away through Rift Junkies.  Not sure how I'm going to do it.  Going to try to give them away is some fashion that involves the least amount of bullshit, but just short of just giving them to people.  Gonna give them away probably the week leading up to the 3rd.

Maybe hold some Thanksgiving themed event, or hold a pool of whoever is the closest at predicting one of the Thanksgiving day football game scores.

They keep sending me emails with beta in the subject that are not beta invites.  This is irksome.

I agree. I understand they want to keep interest high, but it is a bit annoying.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: