Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 12:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  (Read 800102 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #490 on: October 01, 2010, 11:08:22 AM

I didn't catch that, and Gametrailer videos don't let me skip forward, what did he say?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #491 on: October 01, 2010, 11:16:57 AM

I chalked it up to a bad use of terms.

In short he said "The rift army's can move in the direction of player properties or quest areas and make questing difficult until cleared out"

Not many games let PvE or PvP remove player property, he likely meant NPC city's and such.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #492 on: October 01, 2010, 01:16:43 PM

He probably meant quest hubs.  I'm pretty sure I've read that they don't plan on doing player housing any time soon.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #493 on: October 01, 2010, 01:18:38 PM

I like the look of this game...

Good thing it is not out now or I would never find a new job because I would not be spending any time looking!

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #494 on: October 01, 2010, 01:39:21 PM

I finally got around to making my Trion account or whatever, display name Nonentity.

I'm starting to see advertisements for this on Facebook.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #495 on: October 01, 2010, 02:17:57 PM

Also, while they've only officially announced a few mage classes on their site, we know there's at least Warlock and a druidy class they can add.  Healing mage?  That's hawt.

I signed up at Trion as Hawkbit.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #496 on: October 01, 2010, 02:39:26 PM

My only question so far with regards to the multi-classing aspect is how itemization fits in.

It seems like the tradtional armor type (plate/chain/leather/cloth) then type of stats for a given role dynamic will have to be drastically different in this game. Unless of course, each type of item is limited to a single archetype, and the stats all are something like "health, ability damage, brain power" which work on each soul role.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #497 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:37 PM

Also, while they've only officially announced a few mage classes on their site, we know there's at least Warlock and a druidy class they can add.  Healing mage?  That's hawt.

You sorta need to divest yourself of the current idea of classes, because the big strength is mix-n-match through the soul system.  In fact, the endpoint abilities aren't as necessary as they are in certain games, like WoW.  Once you're in your base class, the souls provide different flavors.  The Cleric class has more healers overall, but there are healers under Warrior, Mage, and Rogue.  It's a fun system once you get deep into it.

It's actually my fear for the game: players won't get a chance to really delve into the soul system early on, and thus they'll miss part of the real fun.

It seems like the tradtional armor type (plate/chain/leather/cloth) then type of stats for a given role dynamic will have to be drastically different in this game. Unless of course, each type of item is limited to a single archetype, and the stats all are something like "health, ability damage, brain power" which work on each soul role.
Each 'off-spec' soul seems to have talents to convert the stats you'd normally see in that class over to the off-spec.  I assume it's built that way since multi-classing is the real focus.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 02:51:33 PM by AutomaticZen »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #498 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:09 PM

His words, not mine.  He called the four types of characters archetypes and he called each "tree" a class.  It looks deep though - I'm wondering how they've looked at Blizzard's "concentrated cool" philosophy.  Only because the skill system looks deep.  Seriously deep.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #499 on: October 01, 2010, 07:56:50 PM

I am relatively optimistic. Also I would be crushed to miss out on beta.

Display name is Pennilenko

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Hartsman
Developers

Trion

Reply #500 on: October 01, 2010, 08:11:02 PM

"brain power"

I am so requesting a stat called that on Monday, just to see what people do.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #501 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:37 PM

Mongo approve.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #502 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:20 PM

"brain power"

I am so requesting a stat called that on Monday, just to see what people do.

I CLAIM TRADEMARK!

Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #503 on: October 02, 2010, 05:32:20 AM

Not to bloat the thread or anything, but I don't want to miss out in case this thread is used for something other than chatter - I registered under the display name Dtrain (amazing but true.)
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #504 on: October 02, 2010, 07:59:26 AM

Beta inc

Summary: Beta is starting soon. Those registered 9/30 or earlier are in the same pool as people with Pax/Gamescon codes. If picked for beta, you're in for 1 weekend. It sounds like it's a rotating schedule with lots of chances for VIP passes to keep you in the beta for the entire time, and certain people will be selected (most likely based on constructive feedback and community involvement) to stay in the beta for longer.
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #505 on: October 02, 2010, 09:47:39 AM

Eek. That's a first warning sign for me. Probably nothing, but I'm wary of stage-managed beta 'events' rather than a 'warts and all' experience. Hopefully there will be a full open beta later.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #506 on: October 02, 2010, 12:21:34 PM

I will rescind my trademark if I get VIP status.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #507 on: October 02, 2010, 12:24:56 PM

Eek. That's a first warning sign for me. Probably nothing, but I'm wary of stage-managed beta 'events' rather than a 'warts and all' experience. Hopefully there will be a full open beta later.

That's what APB did, and was the reason why I never touched the beta even though I was in it. Telara seems promising enough that I don't even want to be in the beta, so the experience will be fresh on release day.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #508 on: October 02, 2010, 01:13:46 PM

I missed the cut off.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #509 on: October 02, 2010, 01:17:39 PM

well bleh

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #510 on: October 02, 2010, 07:58:13 PM

So if your beta key is flagged VIP you get in to all of them, and otherwise it's just a chance?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #511 on: October 03, 2010, 07:13:50 AM

If this is a way of booting all the people who never actually test anything and never actually help make the game better its very smart. If its anything else... its probably something bad?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #512 on: October 03, 2010, 08:04:01 AM

So if your beta key is flagged VIP you get in to all of them, and otherwise it's just a chance?

VIP = always having access to beta. Everything else is just a chance (it's been that way since they are pulling from various "pools"). One pool is the pre-october community, Pax, and Gamescon, while another pool is October and later community and I don't know what else.

If this is a way of booting all the people who never actually test anything and never actually help make the game better its very smart. If its anything else... its probably something bad?

I agree with it possibly being a very smart move, but I also worry that the people who get in will just make a lot of noise and not be all that well thought out (similar to the current forums in that manner, typical pre-beta community) to be seen more in hopes of becoming a vip. Additionally, providing enough constructive feedback will be more difficult only being allowed in on a single weekend since that may lead to only specific areas being tested after being transplanted to that level/content (which reminds me of WAR, and that's not good) or this will end up having the best starter area ever as many wouldn't make it past the first few areas in a weekend.

At this point, they still haven't released info on a number of souls and other key functions, which would lead me to believe they may not still be balanced and tested all that well. I'm guessing they're being tested but to what extent if they are still planning on running a pretty restrictive style beta and have less than 6 months until the end of q1 2011 when they plan on releasing (10/1/10's IRC chat just re-confirmed the goal is q1 2011 release). This is making me shift my focus to the developers confidence in this game if there are still a lot of things that can't be released (pvp, crafting, various souls and abilities, macroing and the extent of their functions).

I'm trying to stay positive though, as this is a game I'd really like to see succeed, and hoping this beta ends up being a good move. Of course, this is all dependent on if they are using beta as a test bed and not a promotional move. Also, I do like that Trion is going back to the smaller beta style from pre-wow era (while running under the title of a long alpha, essentially), I think the best way to compliment it would be to give those weekend passes to people and make them available for either a month's worth of weekends, or each weekend that beta lasts while having their core testers test the changes that come about from the weekend feedback during the week. That would give enough people a long enough time to provide positive feedback and give the devs a better idea of who is actually being constructive and who is using it as a trial.

Of course maybe I'm off base on everything, who knows
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #513 on: October 03, 2010, 08:11:59 AM

My biggest fear is that the stage management is to hide gaping content holes, a non-existent endgame, a horrible XP/cash grind, missing social tools/metagaming or some other big problem. We've all seen that before.

Focus in testing can be good - but the big picture needs to be showcased too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:13:58 AM by Jherad »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #514 on: October 03, 2010, 08:13:10 AM

All the souls have been "released" because people have seen them at all the shows.

Here's a good as reference as any: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?94-The-Classes-Thus-Far-%28Class-List%29

It's probably their web and lore departments that haven't written them up yet and stuck them on their website.  They're probably busy with other things I guess.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 08:14:47 AM by Draegan »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #515 on: October 03, 2010, 12:24:56 PM

They are seen, but Trion have said that anything they haven't officially released is not definite at this point, 6 months before release. Though I hope you're right.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #516 on: October 03, 2010, 04:28:07 PM

What do the [G] and such mean?

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #517 on: October 03, 2010, 04:45:27 PM

What do the [G] and such mean?

[D] Defiant - This class is selectable at character creation for the Defiant. Guardians can play this class later in the game.
[G] Guardian - This class is selectable at character creation for the Guardians. Defiant can play this class later in the game.
[H] Heroic Class - This is a class that can not be selected at character creation and must be earned through other means.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #518 on: October 03, 2010, 04:51:49 PM

Defiant and Guardian being the two factions, right?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #519 on: October 03, 2010, 05:08:48 PM

Defiant and Guardian being the two factions, right?

Yes.

They are seen, but Trion have said that anything they haven't officially released is not definite at this point, 6 months before release. Though I hope you're right.

It's odd the way they are doing it.  First they were "releasing" information for each soul. Then the conventions happened.  All the souls were seen but not "released'.  For example the Chloromancer was see and not "released".  Then in Gametrailers Adam Gershowitz start talking about the class in an official capacity.

So I think the website is behind the rest.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #520 on: October 04, 2010, 10:15:51 AM

The website isn't alone in being behind as the press releases are behind if the classes are finalized. Unless allowing people to see classes at conventions is their way of doing a release, which to me is fine as long as they say that is how they are releasing the class info instead of the last statement being that anything unannounced is not final.

Side note: I do like the publicly asking for help naming a class, that is a positive interaction with the community. Something like the name isn't going to affect balance or delay testing, meanwhile people may feel more attached and committed to a company, in today's market, that is willing to ask for input in that way.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #521 on: October 07, 2010, 05:39:42 AM

Some people are reporting that a "Community Beta" code is being applied to their trion account, though there is no clue as to what, exactly, this means.  Probably for this weekend's beta whirligig, which means everyone will be downloading the client Saturday, trying to install it Sunday, and get kicked out while making a character! /green.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #522 on: October 07, 2010, 06:08:03 AM

I agree with it possibly being a very smart move, but I also worry that the people who get in will just make a lot of noise and not be all that well thought out (similar to the current forums in that manner, typical pre-beta community) to be seen more in hopes of becoming a vip. Additionally, providing enough constructive feedback will be more difficult only being allowed in on a single weekend since that may lead to only specific areas being tested after being transplanted to that level/content (which reminds me of WAR, and that's not good) or this will end up having the best starter area ever as many wouldn't make it past the first few areas in a weekend.

At this point, they still haven't released info on a number of souls and other key functions, which would lead me to believe they may not still be balanced and tested all that well. I'm guessing they're being tested but to what extent if they are still planning on running a pretty restrictive style beta and have less than 6 months until the end of q1 2011 when they plan on releasing (10/1/10's IRC chat just re-confirmed the goal is q1 2011 release). This is making me shift my focus to the developers confidence in this game if there are still a lot of things that can't be released (pvp, crafting, various souls and abilities, macroing and the extent of their functions).

I'm trying to stay positive though, as this is a game I'd really like to see succeed, and hoping this beta ends up being a good move. Of course, this is all dependent on if they are using beta as a test bed and not a promotional move. Also, I do like that Trion is going back to the smaller beta style from pre-wow era (while running under the title of a long alpha, essentially), I think the best way to compliment it would be to give those weekend passes to people and make them available for either a month's worth of weekends, or each weekend that beta lasts while having their core testers test the changes that come about from the weekend feedback during the week. That would give enough people a long enough time to provide positive feedback and give the devs a better idea of who is actually being constructive and who is using it as a trial.

Of course maybe I'm off base on everything, who knows

Yes, I think there's something to be said for just letting people go off and play the game even in a genuine beta (one that's not just a marketing gimmick).

WAR worked great in beta when everyone was the same level and bunched into the same area. It was only when the game went live and people simply played it for fun that some of the issues became apparent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #523 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:11 AM

WAR worked great in beta when everyone was the same level and bunched into the same area. It was only when the game went live and people simply played it for fun that some of the issues became apparent.

I think it was the exact opposite actually.  When the game went live, and you're character was no longer going to be wiped, it was that people no longer played just for the sake of playing, it was about leveling, or farming, or gearing, or whatever you were trying to accmplish.  The PvP in tier 1/2 beta was GREAT because people actually did it... then when it started "mattering" people were happy to farm the most efficient spot instead of actually PvP, and I was a sad sad panda.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #524 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:08 AM

Because the first rule of mmo is: People are broken.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 97 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Rift: Planes of Telara  
Jump to: