Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:33:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Can't we all just get along? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't we all just get along?  (Read 851 times)
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

on: May 18, 2005, 12:35:00 PM

Protest Against 'Unity Bracelets' at East Bay High School

May 17, 2005 5:22 pm US/Pacific

(CBS 5) Some bracelets worn by students at Castro Valley High School are raising fears of racial tensions.

The school is a diverse one, with about 2900 students, and some teenagers say there have been race-related fights. Some students wear green unity bracelets to combat racism, homophobia, and sexism. But in recent weeks, bracelets with the initials WP -- which some say stand for "white power" or "with pride" -- started popping up in protest.

Joe Pulis has a WP bracelet. He says about 40 guys have them.

"I don't hate people because of color or whatnot," he said. "I don't like the way the school is going about forcing kids to accept people."

Associate Principal Mark Autrey says administrators will meet with students who wear the WP bracelets next week and use it as an opportunity to hear student views.

"Part of the educational process is showing kids how to voice opinions, how to have their opinions, and helping them to work through what opinions are valuable," Autrey said.

Meantime, Giulia Baldo and Brittany Wright proudly wear their unity bracelets.

"It happens at every other high school, but we wanted to stop it at our high school, or prevent it," Wright said.

Matt Chilcote has a solution to dueling bracelets -- he wears a rubber band.

"I don't want to take sides. I want to be myself," he said. "I don't have to join a clique or club and be against anyone else," he said.

Some students expressed concern that this discussion over the bracelets could escalate into actions. But we met a number of very articulate students, and their plan was to keep talking.

Isn't "Git-R-Done" a redneck comedy thing? Larry the Douchebag or something?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 06:19:42 PM

All this is about....Bracelets? Are you kidding me?

Get a grip, people. These are little pieces of rubber or plastic that you put around wrists or ankles, not a grand political statement on the human condition or somesuch nonsense.

And besides, the quote is from "Larry the Cable Guy" of  the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. The saying doesn't even really Mean Anything.

Why must people be stupid pricks?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Can't we all just get along?  
Jump to: