Are Dev's Bad, or do MMO PVP Games Not Work?

<< < (10/65) > >>

Righ:
Quote from: Soln on October 24, 2008, 03:36:20 PM

need to add Lineage 1 and 2 PvP 

Lineage (1):

Death Penalty? Yes. Loss of XP, possible to de-level and lose abilities.
Item Loss? Yes. Limited by alignment.
Item Dependent? Somewhat.
Dev kill? Too grindy for fat lazy Americans. Still big in places where they speak funny.
Indy or AAA? Indy that became AAA PDQ.

Lineage 2:

Death Penalty? Yes. See above.
Item Loss? Yes. See above.
Item Dependent? More than above.
Dev kill? See above. And then some.
Indy or AAA? Very much AAA now.

LC:
Quote from: Nija on October 24, 2008, 04:36:15 PM

Quote from: eldaec on October 24, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

EVE has its own form of Trammel in the shape of Empire space, and while it doesn't offer perfect protection from Slayerik, CCP has shown they will shrink loopholes as they arise to stop ganking being too common in Empire.

You are right. This is an important thing that is missing from everything, essentially, except Eve. There needs to be a greater "Empire Space" where people can see everything the game has to offer under the strict, but not overbearing, control of the developers. NPC guards that show up and kill you - no stealing from players, whatever.

They also, in my opinion, definitely need those outlier areas that let the players create their own content. Even if that is Nazi Germany vs Poland.

There needs to be some kind of carrot (or whatever the fuck sheep like to eat) to lure the sheep out of the safe pasture and into the forest. Something so tasty they would regularly risk their lives for it.

Slayerik:
Quote from: Righ on October 24, 2008, 04:42:35 PM

Quote from: Soln on October 24, 2008, 03:36:20 PM

need to add Lineage 1 and 2 PvP 

Lineage (1):

Death Penalty? Yes. Loss of XP, possible to de-level and lose abilities.
Item Loss? Yes. Limited by alignment.
Item Dependent? Somewhat.
Dev kill? Too grindy for fat lazy Americans. Still big in places where they speak funny.
Indy or AAA? Indy that became AAA PDQ.

Lineage 2:

Death Penalty? Yes. See above.
Item Loss? Yes. See above.
Item Dependent? More than above.
Dev kill? See above. And then some.
Indy or AAA? Very much AAA now.

Nice Righ, updated :)

Sir T:
Quote from: Slayerik on October 24, 2008, 03:59:56 PM

And nano domis I bet :)

Not trying to get in another Eve pissing contest...your points are valid and I won't concede mine.

Fair enough

(For the record, I never flew a nano-domi. Did fly a nano type Typhoon once though)

Arinon:
Quote from: eldaec on October 24, 2008, 04:15:35 PM

stuff

Both Planetside and Guildwars involved the unlocking of character options no?  I would consider this a power curve. Flexibility, even if you can only leverage it outside of a hot zone, is definitely an advantage.  Guild Wars especially had you playing with a partial deck of skills to draw from unless you paid your dues in the horrendous PvE of that game.

DAoC most definitely had a power curve with realm ranks and like, the entire ToA expansion. Even using the term 'end game' kinda implies the curve had to be traversed.  That fact that someone might have capped off a character is kinda moot.  In a game with time based advancement you get to kill targets that are still in the capping out process.  That's the draw/trap.

If you separate those still advancing and those capped out, you pretty much have two games.  The second one better be damn fun because with PvP the first one ends up being a tutorial.

I don't think Diku and PvP go that well together for very long, but I keep playing them anyway.  The games I stick with for any length of time these days are the ones that relegate PvP to the sidelines.  They just need to make new games fast enough that there is always one less that 3 months old.  Problem solved!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page