Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:32:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136874 times)
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #10605 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:00 AM

Why isn't there a Buckaroo Banzai MMO?   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I would SO fucking play that.

Yo Bloodworth!  I think we have your new project  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10606 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:37 AM

While we're at it, I want an MMOFPS based on the old west.  So much win.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10607 on: September 17, 2011, 12:22:07 PM

Better yet firefly mmo.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10608 on: September 17, 2011, 12:25:32 PM

Isn't Star Wars just a sci fi remake of a spaghetti western anyway?   

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10609 on: September 17, 2011, 12:53:08 PM

Mashup of spaghetti western and samurai flick with a science fantasy twist.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10610 on: September 17, 2011, 12:55:17 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a remake of a samurai flick that was a remake of a Leone flick. I bet Tarantino will make the mmo.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10611 on: September 17, 2011, 01:12:57 PM

This genre should be dead by now. What's going on?

/sinks back into hole
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10612 on: September 17, 2011, 01:47:42 PM

Better yet firefly mmo.

The Dark Tower (Gunslinger) movie was cancelled btw.   Heartbreak
I'm still waiting for a Deadlands game though.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10613 on: September 17, 2011, 06:29:10 PM

Man... (like actual plot spoilers coming)

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #10614 on: September 17, 2011, 06:38:12 PM

Fucking SWTOR fans and their lack of movie knowledge.

Star Wars, inspired by:
Yojimbo
Hidden Fortress
Sanjuro

Yojimbo was based on Red Harvest. Yojimbo was remade in 1964 as A Fistful of Dollars. In 1960 John Sturges made Magnificent Seven. Which was an overrated bad remake of Seven Samurai (and really had no bearing on Star Wars save minor things here and there - chief among these things merely being it was Another Movie by Kurosawa). In 1990 the Coen brothers took Yojimbo and The Glass Key, put it in a blender, and made Miller's Crossing. In 1996, Bruce Willis was in Last Man Standing, which was also Yojimbo. Or rather, Red Harvest.

Star Wars was made by a neckbeard fuck who, without works to copy from, would've made nothing. Much like your precious SWTOR. If WoW didn't exist, this wouldn't either.

tl;dr: Lucas is, somehow, a worse Quentin Tarantino.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:42:24 PM by schild »
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10615 on: September 17, 2011, 06:48:06 PM

I dunno a sci-fi movie cribbed from do-des-ka-den would be pretty awesome and funny.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #10616 on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:35 PM

Or you could just argue that Dodesukaden is already sci-fi given the circumstances behind how it was made, what happened afterwards and the fact it was about a retarded child being an imaginary tram conductor and he somehow squeezed what, like 2+ hours out of that?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #10617 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:57 PM

Fucking SWTOR fans and their lack of movie knowledge.

I hope that you're not calling me a Star Wars fan.  I am a huge Kurosawa fan though!

Lucas must be a hack.  I never saw the connection. 

-  Mark Twain
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10618 on: September 17, 2011, 07:06:15 PM

Or you could just argue that Dodesukaden is already sci-fi given the circumstances behind how it was made, what happened afterwards and the fact it was about a retarded child being an imaginary tram conductor and he somehow squeezed what, like 2+ hours out of that?
The homeless dude and the kid's story was way more interesting/sad than the retard train kid.

schild
Administrator

Reply #10619 on: September 17, 2011, 07:10:59 PM

The homeless dude and the kid's story was way more interesting/sad than the retard train kid.
Movie was a mess. I love Kurosawa, but the whole thing was just... yea. I didn't really find any of it interesting, sadly.

Nebu, the only original thing in Star Wars is that Jedi/Sith/Whatever were given power by Midochlorians (or whatever). He probably went through the works of Kurosawa and couldn't figure out where NINJA POWER came from or something so he wrote down "how the fuck do magnets work?" and well, the rest is history.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10620 on: September 17, 2011, 07:27:02 PM

Yeah, I thought it was a remake of a samurai flick that was a remake of a Leone flick. I bet Tarantino will make the mmo.

Was this sarcasm?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10621 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:33 PM

What's really funny is the beta forums are stupider than most of this thread.

Also, I want a MMO based on shadowrun. Or even better, TORG.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10622 on: September 17, 2011, 08:33:32 PM

Wait, wait. They make films in other countries?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10623 on: September 17, 2011, 08:43:16 PM

Also, I want a MMO based on shadowrun.
Only if it's true to the table top setting.  Microsoft has a way of perverting any FASA properties they touch.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10624 on: September 17, 2011, 09:12:24 PM

There's no way you can capture the real spirit of Shadowrun with modern hardware. You need to be able to have ridiculous highway chases where you collapse entire bridges or blow up buildings or do other such permanently damaging things. Also roleplaying your character is kinda required for it to be balanced. I mean, your negative IQ troll sammy has to be played like he needs sticky notes on his guns to know which end goes towards the bad guy or everything kinda becomes broken.

sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10625 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:10 PM

Phasing, broheim, phasing.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10626 on: September 18, 2011, 07:27:14 AM

I'm still waiting for a Deadlands game though.

Here's what the Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment attempt left behind:

From 2008

From 2009

From 2009

Lucas cribbed sources for Star Wars all over. Luke coming back to find the moisture farm decimated is very close to a similar scene in "The Searchers", just swapping out Native Americans for Stormtroopers.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10627 on: September 18, 2011, 07:36:02 AM

I liked her boots...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #10628 on: September 18, 2011, 08:04:30 AM

Yes, we all know Lucas is an unoriginal hack.  Hell, even besides the scenes ripped straight from other movies with minor alterations, he's blatantly admitted the overall structure of the original star wars trilogy was using Campbell's Hero's Journey as a step by step guide.  A color-by-numbers guide at that.  But I think this may be the 12th time this discussion has been had in this thread.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10629 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:21 AM

At one time, Lucas was good.  American Graffitti and, yes, Star Wars: ANH.  I was 14 when I went to see it back in '77.  I've always said it was my generations Woodstock.  You don't remember the dark times of the 70's.  It was an era of disco, rollerskates, Sonny and Cher and the Bee Gees.   Star Wars blew up, broke records and became and still is a cultural touchstone.  Everyone knows Star Wars, at least a bit.

Yes, Lucas 'stole' from Kurosawa, he 'stole' from Campbell.  But there are about seven stories in literature; it's not the story it's in the telling. 

Now, I'm not going to argue with you if you say Lucas sucks now.   Phantom Menace blew goats other than Darth Maul.  The other two prequels weren't much better.  But I'd say Lucas is entombed in his echo chamber and his reaction to the criticism is to rub our noses in it.  It's all he can do, I'm not sure he can make a good movie anymore.  But back in the 70's he did.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10630 on: September 18, 2011, 08:49:21 AM

Who gives a shit?

Its starwars now!

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #10631 on: September 18, 2011, 08:54:47 AM

Dream Quest of Unknown-Kadath MMO.   Rain of Cats on the Moon crits you for over 9k.  Yahoo!

I resubbed to WoW.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?    I say this for two reasons:  one, full disclosure out of fairness for all the shit I've been talking.  What can I say, I'm flawed.  The second reason is the magic word, "dynamics."

Dynamics are the reason I've resubbed to WoW time and time again.  It's bouncy, fast and fluid.  Yes, I am sick to death of raiding and can't do it anymore.  Yes, I have to turn off chat channels.  Yes, it's really hard at first to catch up on the PVP gear ladder.  However, the physics of the game is so much better than any game (I've played) that has tried to compete.  AOC, FE, Rift...all require stronger graphic capability than WoW but are clunky as hell.  Rift, for example, the world looks stunning with the settings turned up.  And yet, the movement of my toon looks like a mannequin in slow motion with stiff limbs going "clunk...................................tink" when it hits things.  

So, SWTOR.  I've watched the videos but one can't really get a feel of the dynamics from a video alone.  If the NDA allows, can anyone speak about the dynamics of SWTOR?  Even if it's as simple as "it flows" or "it's clunky."  And if this has been discussed already, my apologies.  
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10632 on: September 18, 2011, 12:40:28 PM

The only dynamic I got out of WoW was dynamically finding the "fuck this, I quit" button.

TOR isn't my idea of MMO nirvana, but it managed to hold my interest a lot longer.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #10633 on: September 18, 2011, 04:44:00 PM

Dynamics are the reason I've resubbed to WoW time and time again.  It's bouncy, fast and fluid.

I'm not sure dynamics is the right word for what you're talking about.  I can agree all the others need to take notes on the WoW client in a hundred different areas though.   All those things individually would be nitpicking but all added together the quality of things like character movement and combat response add up to a huge deal.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10634 on: September 18, 2011, 06:00:40 PM

TOR isn't my idea of MMO nirvana, but it managed to hold my interest a lot longer.

But no-one is paying for it yet. Having to put money down month after month changes the equation.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10635 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:51 AM

http://torwars.com/2011/09/19/torwars-interview-swtors-damion-schubert-reveals-new-game-details/

That being said, some of the ideas that were planned for post-launch got raised in priority, based on feedback and metrics from our testing. Nothing’s set in stone until we hit launch day, obviously, but we’re aiming to get more into launch now. Of particular note, the dressing room made it in (alt-rightclick to preview an equipment piece’s appearance on you or your companion). The ability for group leaders to mark targets with symbols his party members can see just went in. We also have a couple of minor features we’re putting in designed to make it easier for players to find and form groups – features I’m more willing to talk about once we’ve vetted them as improvements to the game in general.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #10636 on: September 20, 2011, 06:20:32 AM

ACK!

That's like a developer making an FPS and saying, "based on player feedback in the beta, we decided to add mouselook sooner."

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10637 on: September 20, 2011, 06:26:10 AM

ACK!

That's like a developer making an FPS and saying, "based on player feedback in the beta, we decided to add mouselook sooner."

I know, right?  why so serious?  Seriously, who's driving this thing?  I would think the Mythic devs they absorbed would have at least come in with 'some' of this knowledge...although DAoC didn't actually have those features either...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10638 on: September 20, 2011, 07:03:39 AM

Ahh.. there's the  swamp poop we'd been expecting ever since "It's Bioware AUSTIN, you fools" was first coined.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10639 on: September 20, 2011, 07:22:47 AM

All I took from that article was:

Quote from: SWTOR PR Guy
Not ready to talk about this yet.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: