Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:59:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136850 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7490 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:45 PM

From the same article:

We're not talking about any of that today, of course. The even bigger questions, such as whether complex storylines and AI buddies will work in MMOs, won't be answered until the game is released - and that could be years from now.

SWOR, the hottest MMO of 2011!  why so serious?
why so serious?

I should have said the hottest MMO of 2012 then.  awesome, for real

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7491 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:27 AM

My plan for endgame is just to roll an alt.

Ayep.

I'm almost frightened at the amount of hours you will put into this one. I won't be able to gasp at it sufficiently if it's not offered on Steam, however.  awesome, for real

Shit, you didn't actually look at my DA:O stats, did you?  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7492 on: June 24, 2011, 04:32:03 AM

Beta would be sufficient to steal some thunder.
I posted in the Diabo III thread that there is a pretty solid rumor that a D3 beta announcement is coming on Aug 1.  I will bet you that that date ends up being very close to a major SWTOR announcement, and that the D3 launch date ends up being right on top of SWTORs and the next WoW patch is right around then as well.

Knocking your competitors news off the radar or at least taking the edge off of it is something Blizzard & Co have shown they are masters at.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7493 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:00 AM

So, Bioware will have their convention and generate a lot of press, and EA will subvert that by planning the timed release of the announcement that sarah palin is their nod for VP.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7494 on: June 24, 2011, 06:17:28 AM

All the WoW patch/D3 stuff is funny for someone outside the Blizzard Bubble. Unless they're patching in lightsabers, WoW is an old and tired mess. Didn't Diablo 2 come out back around when Duke 3D came out?  why so serious?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7495 on: June 24, 2011, 06:21:38 AM

Ayep.

I'm almost frightened at the amount of hours you will put into this one. I won't be able to gasp at it sufficiently if it's not offered on Steam, however.  awesome, for real

Yea, I had the same thought. I'm picturing her multiboxing multiple characters, just to see if their stories interact somehow.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7496 on: June 24, 2011, 06:27:29 AM

D3 is a single player game and is supposed to sell something like 7~10x the boxes of SW:TOR.    I don't really see why SW:TOR can't just change their release date and play merry hell with Blizzard if they intend to try that.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7497 on: June 24, 2011, 07:22:31 AM

The only thing D3 can do to SWTOR (or vice versa) is compete with the PR/News cycle.  I don't think either game will effect the other's box sales in the medium/long term.  Perhaps the first month if they launch within 3 months of each other.
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

All this swearing upsets me. I'm sensitive.

Reply #7498 on: June 24, 2011, 07:35:08 AM

Indeed. There's just no way it'll stay in, unless companion roles are duplicated and they don't plan to use them for live game content updates and further expansion pack questlines/stories.
they'll stay in.

Bioware folks have said before you do something unchangeable like kill your companion, you'll get a dialogue box asking you to confirm you really really want to do that. so its not like you'll be able to accidentally kill a companion. it has to be a conscious decision.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7499 on: June 24, 2011, 07:38:16 AM

The only thing D3 can do to SWTOR (or vice versa) is compete with the PR/News cycle.  I don't think either game will effect the other's box sales in the medium/long term.  Perhaps the first month if they launch within 3 months of each other.

Honestly, if Diablo 3 release before SWTOR (which is admittedly a major if), I highly doubt I'll buy SWTOR simply because D3 has the potential to be one of those "one" games that just keeps me busy for years.  I did't play any other RPGs for about 3 years after Diablo 2 came out.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #7500 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:41 AM

Honestly, if Diablo 3 release before SWTOR (which is admittedly a major if), I highly doubt I'll buy SWTOR simply because D3 has the potential to be one of those "one" games that just keeps me busy for years.  I did't play any other RPGs for about 3 years after Diablo 2 came out.

Ditto.  Maybe not 3 years, but it will knock me out of the market for a new game for several month if not up to a year.
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7501 on: June 24, 2011, 07:46:24 AM

138, after patching.

where are you getting this info?

because two different sources have said 30 to 40 GB.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:54:10 AM by Mnemon »
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7502 on: June 24, 2011, 07:52:58 AM

I think it was established that was bullshit.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7503 on: June 24, 2011, 07:54:30 AM

gotcha - haven't been here in a bit so I was catching up ;-)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7504 on: June 24, 2011, 08:17:25 AM

-Rasix
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7505 on: June 24, 2011, 08:41:48 AM

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #7506 on: June 24, 2011, 09:41:16 AM

Battle for Alderaan

New instance video is up. Some cool animations and abilities but nothing earth-shattering.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:49:46 AM by Rasix »

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7507 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:29 AM

Battle for Alderaan

New instance video is up. Some cool animations and abilities but nothing earth-shattering.

Looks similar to stuff they showed at e3, which is fine, just a bit more streamlined for trailer form.

One thing it reminded me of that I like those is that the trooper can shot and move at the same time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7508 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:24 AM

Yeah, we saw the extended version of that in the interview with Daniel. I want to stop watching every video!
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7509 on: June 24, 2011, 10:34:35 AM

Just watched the Tatooine Developer Walkthrough. Pooping a speeder bothers me. Much prefer the SWG system.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7510 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:51 AM

Just watched the Tatooine Developer Walkthrough. Pooping a speeder bothers me. Much prefer the SWG system.

The speeder in that video also looks REALLY slow to me, but maybe you need to wait to get your epic speeder. awesome, for real
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7511 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:59 AM

D3 is a single player game and is supposed to sell something like 7~10x the boxes of SW:TOR.    I don't really see why SW:TOR can't just change their release date and play merry hell with Blizzard if they intend to try that.
They probably need it to release when it's supposed to in order to have some sort of income in this fiscal year.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7512 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:39 AM

Indeed. There's just no way it'll stay in, unless companion roles are duplicated and they don't plan to use them for live game content updates and further expansion pack questlines/stories.
they'll stay in.

Bioware folks have said before you do something unchangeable like kill your companion, you'll get a dialogue box asking you to confirm you really really want to do that. so its not like you'll be able to accidentally kill a companion. it has to be a conscious decision.

$10 they won't keep perma death for companions. That's exactly what we're talking about here, permanently fucking over your character in a persistent world, not gonna happen. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7513 on: June 24, 2011, 11:26:40 AM

Everyone is all doom and gloom over the idea that you could fuck up and lose your companions. What you guys are missing, is that we are not the norm for MMO players. Normal MMO players will not be making a single plotline decision past newbie level without first consulting Alakakotor/SWTOWIKI/etc. to find out which option gives them the 100% best advancement scenario.

Most players won't care about bad things happening to NPCs, because they'll simply look things up first and won't make those choices.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7514 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:14 AM

Bioware would be awfully foolish if they let a player get a companion perma-killed for all the reasons Lakov is giving. It'd be a lot more sensible for them to be unkillable like the player character itself. You should however be able to drive them away and then have to go through a long arduous quest process to get them back if you change your mind.

Perma gimping your character just shouldn't be possible in this day and age but if you insist on making a foolish decision after being warned of the consequences it's OK to make the player jump through some hoops to reverse it.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #7515 on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:56 AM

Alakakotor/SWTOWIKI

SWottbot? TORHead?

Also I dunno, unless it's really well documented/presented (like WoW's DBs) I don't think most people would even bother looking stuff up unless it's something they really want to know.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7516 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:48 AM

I forget the SWG system. The SWG swoop bikes were so much cooler. I'm pretty sure they just brushed up so close to feature lock they wanted to just get something in there. And I'm sure there will be gradients of segways to grind for...

How many times does someone have to point out that companions have kits and you get enough that there should definitely be some overlap between companion roles. Need healing for your BH but killed off Mako? Slap a healing kit on Blizz. It's INTERESTING.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #7517 on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:37 AM

Everyone is all doom and gloom over the idea that you could fuck up and lose your companions. What you guys are missing, is that we are not the norm for MMO players. Normal MMO players will not be making a single plotline decision past newbie level without first consulting Alakakotor/SWTOWIKI/etc. to find out which option gives them the 100% best advancement scenario.

Most players won't care about bad things happening to NPCs, because they'll simply look things up first and won't make those choices.

Really?  I'd assume it would be the other way around, with players who are researching the game on external sites being the minority.  Otherwise, you wouldn't hear the phrase "Mankrik's Wife" so often.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7518 on: June 24, 2011, 11:59:53 AM

I forget the SWG system. The SWG swoop bikes were so much cooler.

The whole system was cooler. Nothing like beating down some ones bike as they lay on the ground.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7519 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:28 PM

The speeder in that video also looks REALLY slow to me, but maybe you need to wait to get your epic speeder. awesome, for real

Needs power converters...duh.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7520 on: June 24, 2011, 12:41:44 PM

I forget the SWG system. The SWG swoop bikes were so much cooler. I'm pretty sure they just brushed up so close to feature lock they wanted to just get something in there. And I'm sure there will be gradients of segways to grind for...

How many times does someone have to point out that companions have kits and you get enough that there should definitely be some overlap between companion roles. Need healing for your BH but killed off Mako? Slap a healing kit on Blizz. It's INTERESTING.

No shit it would be interesting, still won't stop people from harassing gm's to bring back their crew members.  I'm not arguing with the idea, just saying it will never fly.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #7521 on: June 24, 2011, 01:12:24 PM

Ayep.

Yea, I had the same thought. I'm picturing her multiboxing multiple characters, just to see if their stories interact somehow.

Nonsense!

That's what Ingmar is for.  why so serious?

God Save the Horn Players
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7522 on: June 24, 2011, 01:15:26 PM

Ok, SWG death chat in SWG death thread.  Thread surgery is tedious.

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7523 on: June 24, 2011, 01:24:57 PM

No shit it would be interesting, still won't stop people from harassing gm's to bring back their crew members.  I'm not arguing with the idea, just saying it will never fly.

I don't think you can just stick a gun to a companions head and pull the trigger to kill them off.  Or, god forbid, right click->delete character->popup(yes/no).

I imagine it's the result of a story arc where you have to make a decision at the end of a lot of build-up.  So, if it is an 'in character' decision that had a effect on your personal story I can see it being not as lightly reversed (or even asked to be reversed) as you would think.

What if it's something like a betrayal arc?  Where at the end you have the decision to execute the companion character, who has royally screwed you over, or allow him/her/it to live?  If you chose to kill the character after something like that would you really be bitching up a storm to get it back?  Or, all your companions are in trouble, you can only save 4 of them and but in so doing you complete some major plot point of a major quest arc or you can save all five but get a lesser ending (like killing the bigbad or letting him get away but never to return)?

Particularly if you have enough other companions that you aren't missing any functionality?  I think it's a concept that, if handled well, could easily be, not only accepted, but welcomed by the vast majority of the player base.  Think about how Bioware usually handles these sorts of decisions, they are usually MAJOR story attraction and not something most people dislike at all.  Heck, WUA still bitches about the whole Mission/Wookie thing.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7524 on: June 24, 2011, 01:39:05 PM

It could be a process that takes over 40 hours, involves hundreds of "are you sure?" questions and even quite literally say "this will cause your companion to NEVER come back" and people would still bitch once they lost their companion character.

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: