Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136844 times)
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7420 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:31 PM

How long did it take him to download?  Doing a little math it should of taken at least:

138 GB -
FIOS 25 MBIT 12.6 hours
UVERSE 12 MBIT 26 hours
Generic 8 MBIT 40 hours

My guess is he was reading "amount patched" and it kept patching the same huge data file over and over with a slew of incremental updates.   Either that or a display bug.

14 hours. REDACTED: I think this skirts the NDA too much, even if I'm not under it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:10:40 PM by Modern Angel »
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7421 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:18 PM

Haha thanks for that actually.

14 hours. REDACTED: I think this skirts the NDA too much, even if I'm not under it.

So unless he has really fast internet that sounds like 28 gigs to me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:12:45 PM by Amaron »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7422 on: June 22, 2011, 03:58:19 AM

There are people who have no intention of playing SWTOR who are salivating at that keyboard apparently.  why so serious?

Keyboard looks decent enough and Razer generally make good shit. I would unironically consider this if looking for a keyboard.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7423 on: June 22, 2011, 04:15:42 AM

I'm just waiting for the toy tie ins when this thing is successful.  Lego version of my spaceship?  Yes, please.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7424 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:40 AM

There are people who have no intention of playing SWTOR who are salivating at that keyboard apparently.  why so serious?

Keyboard looks decent enough and Razer generally make good shit. I would unironically consider this if looking for a keyboard.

The only problem I can see with it is that its way over on the right side of the keyboard.  I like the idea of a dynamic screen like that, but the positioning seems really odd.  IN principle though, I could imagine a decade from now all keyboards just being like across their entire surface.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #7425 on: June 22, 2011, 05:46:13 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7426 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:53 AM

The Tron keyboard on Razor's site is slick.  Not worth $150, but slick. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7427 on: June 22, 2011, 12:23:26 PM

If anyone's going to Comic Con, BW's setting up a demo for ya'll.  Maybe we'll get more info then too?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7428 on: June 22, 2011, 01:54:09 PM

Fail. She's not poseable and that is not a Star Wars pose.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7429 on: June 22, 2011, 02:16:44 PM

The Tron keyboard on Razor's site is slick.  Not worth $150, but slick. 

I'll tell you what I really like about both of them. They somehow avoid the temptation of giant Tron/StarWars/Disney/Lucasarts/EA logos.

On closer examination, the Star wars one has no keypad, and the mousepad/programmable section on the right should really be detachable.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7430 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:30 PM

The only thing I use a keypad for are Civ IV and work. Not sure I'd want it detachable, given my unique gaming setup, but having on the right side does hamper usefulness, especially the hotkeys. Be nice if they were programmable number keys or, better yet, a row of programmable keys between the number keys and function keys.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7431 on: June 23, 2011, 05:49:28 AM

'Cake > pie

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7432 on: June 23, 2011, 05:57:10 AM

This screenshot is nice, the graphics are unimpressive, but it captures the right tone IMO

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7433 on: June 23, 2011, 06:20:53 AM

It's hard to tell how graphics are going to age before you actually get the passage of time.  Team Fortress 2, for example, still looks fine 4 years later but other games from around the same period already look dated.  For me, personally, WoW looks so dated that I find it very difficult to appreciate it.

Currently I like the look of SWTOR so I hope that this was a good decision and it ages gracefully so that several years from now when they introduce some new expansion I can find it in me to load it up and enjoy it without being distracted by it's appearance (assuming it's actually, you know, good).

Also, these graphics apparently have the benefit that the game runs pretty well on low end hardware, according to internet rumor.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7434 on: June 23, 2011, 06:28:03 AM

It's hard to tell how graphics are going to age before you actually get the passage of time.  Team Fortress 2, for example, still looks fine 4 years later but other games from around the same period already look dated.  For me, personally, WoW looks so dated that I find it very difficult to appreciate it.

Currently I like the look of SWTOR so I hope that this was a good decision and it ages gracefully so that several years from now when they introduce some new expansion I can find it in me to load it up and enjoy it without being distracted by it's appearance (assuming it's actually, you know, good).

Also, these graphics apparently have the benefit that the game runs pretty well on low end hardware, according to internet rumor.

I don't mean the graphics are bad for their style, I just think they could have a few spiffier things like nicer shadows or something.  Not really worried about it though, graphics aren't going to be what makes or breaks it
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7435 on: June 23, 2011, 06:52:32 AM

I don't mean the graphics are bad for their style, I just think they could have a few spiffier things like nicer shadows or something.  Not really worried about it though, graphics aren't going to be what makes or breaks it

Oh don't even (re)start that debate...

And yes, they are designing the game so that circa 2008ish graphic cards can handle this game.  DX9 isn't dead yet, at least not until WinXP dies in a fire.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #7436 on: June 23, 2011, 08:55:30 AM

The sooner XP dies, the better.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7437 on: June 23, 2011, 09:07:15 AM

Gabe at Penny Arcade has been allowed by Bioware to break his NDA and talk about the SWTOR Beta.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/6/22/

So I was actually able to get into the current friends and family beta for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It wasn’t too hard since technically I do have a friend over there. The tricky part is that Bioware, like a lot of places thinks of PA as “media” and they don’t want media playing it yet. I explained that we aren’t media, we prefer to think of ourselves as “enthusiasts”. They let me in but I had to pinkie swear that I wouldn’t talk about the game here on the site, or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve been playing it for a little over a month now and last week I asked if I could share some of my impressions with you all. It took some begging but finally they agreed and to their credit they didn’t ask to see what I was going to write first. Honestly they had no idea what I was going to say which must have been a little scary considering this is PA, but lucky for them I actually really like their game. So this isn’t a review or anything even close. What I’m playing is the beta and honestly changing all the time. I just wanted to share some of my impressions.

e: more permanent link.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:15:43 AM by Murgos »

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7438 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:18 AM

Gabe at Penny Arcade has been allowed by Bioware to break his NDA and talk about the SWTOR Beta.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/

So I was actually able to get into the current friends and family beta for Star Wars: The Old Republic. It wasn’t too hard since technically I do have a friend over there. The tricky part is that Bioware, like a lot of places thinks of PA as “media” and they don’t want media playing it yet. I explained that we aren’t media, we prefer to think of ourselves as “enthusiasts”. They let me in but I had to pinkie swear that I wouldn’t talk about the game here on the site, or anywhere else for that matter. I’ve been playing it for a little over a month now and last week I asked if I could share some of my impressions with you all. It took some begging but finally they agreed and to their credit they didn’t ask to see what I was going to write first. Honestly they had no idea what I was going to say which must have been a little scary considering this is PA, but lucky for them I actually really like their game. So this isn’t a review or anything even close. What I’m playing is the beta and honestly changing all the time. I just wanted to share some of my impressions.
He makes it sound like a great game.

I'm actually pretty excited about it now.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7439 on: June 23, 2011, 09:13:44 AM

And yes, they are designing the game so that circa 2008ish graphic cards can handle this game.  DX9 isn't dead yet, at least not until WinXP dies in a fire.

I don't think anything I said was particularly controversial there, just that it seemed like some of the normal graphics options we see these days weren't turned on there, like nice shadows.  I didn't mean to start anything.  In fact, I LIKE the screenshot, as I said.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7440 on: June 23, 2011, 09:22:54 AM

Goddamnit why isn't this game out yet. /whinge.

Also, Holoprojector quest acceptance sounds awesome.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7441 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:16 AM

No kidding. I mean, "when it's "done"" and all, but....

Should be interesting to see if they can maintain my fanboy at 11, it was at a cautious 10 for years...so maybe.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7442 on: June 23, 2011, 09:34:01 AM

No kidding. I mean, "when it's "done"" and all, but....

Should be interesting to see if they can maintain my fanboy at 11, it was at a cautious 10 for years...so maybe.

I wish they would announce pre-orders so I could just give them my money and (try to) forget about it until it comes in the mail.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7443 on: June 23, 2011, 09:50:26 AM

I don't think anything I said was particularly controversial there, just that it seemed like some of the normal graphics options we see these days weren't turned on there, like nice shadows.  I didn't mean to start anything.  In fact, I LIKE the screenshot, as I said.

Apologies, I inferred your mentioning of graphics 'making or breaking a game' as the typical war-cry of the never-ending debate between graphics and gameplay.    I too am excited about the game, and it's a great screenshot for sure.  Will probably look better on my DX11 card with everything cranked too  awesome, for real

@PA preview: Yeah, there's nothing really NDA ground-shaking there.  BW took the gamble of having PA speak about there stuff openly to their masses of fans, and it looks like they're winning right now.

And if you're got PA onboard, that's an easy, what, 500k subscribers right there?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7444 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:53 AM

Hey buddy, we don't "@" around here.  Trippy will kill you dead for it.  As I tell my son, "use your words".  awesome, for real

I'm way too psyched for this game.  I should know better.  I haven't said "Bioware AUSTIN" in a while, have I?   Get off my lawn!

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #7445 on: June 23, 2011, 10:13:09 AM

Gabe pointing out that you can join in quest cinematics via Holoprojector is, I think, brilliant on Bioware's part. That is a pretty significant "little touch" there.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #7446 on: June 23, 2011, 10:22:54 AM

Okay. Between the blatantly NDA busting bits I've watched, the Q&A's, the discussions I've had with people actually making the game, the general consensus of beta testers, and what's been released by way of outlets like PA (as well as the fact that it seems like the only negative reviews/commentary that's been released in a while seems to all be universally shit writing by shit commenters) I think I'm in for sure now.

I would have never imagined I would be in on launch day, given all I know and say about MMO's.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7447 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:33 AM

Gabe pointing out that you can join in quest cinematics via Holoprojector is, I think, brilliant on Bioware's part. That is a pretty significant "little touch" there.

Pretty sure they've had that as part of earlier demos/walkthroughs/whatever.  It does lead to some awkwardness because you still do "Kill him."-type actions in dialogue through the hologram.

Awesome holograms are awesome apparently.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7448 on: June 23, 2011, 10:30:56 AM

I've spent the last few years here laughing my ass off at the F13ers not bright enough to wait 3 months before diving into a new MMO. Oh well, so much for that.

I think we need someone to bring us all back down to reality.  Paging Margalis!
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7449 on: June 23, 2011, 10:38:29 AM

Pretty sure they've had that as part of earlier demos/walkthroughs/whatever.  It does lead to some awkwardness because you still do "Kill him."-type actions in dialogue through the hologram.

Awesome holograms are awesome apparently.

Not true, from what I understand.  If a holo-player wins the roll to kill someone, a player that's actually there in the real will execute the action, even if that person chose to spare the NPC.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7450 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:01 AM

What I read was that was a 'humorous bug' that was long since squashed and now Holograms can not even select any option that results in a physical action.

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #7451 on: June 23, 2011, 10:48:17 AM

Yeah, from a quick search a mention of killer holograms has the disclaimer that that's supposed to get/is patched out.  So we'll go with that.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7452 on: June 23, 2011, 11:09:55 AM

I'm ready to preorder this myself. I only have a few remaining worries at this point:

1) End game. All they've mentioned is raiding or pvp. Both of them have little long term interest for me.
2) Expansions, how the hell will they successfully do expansions to this game?
3) Other players. I want to do the story. I won't be skipping cutscenes or anything of the sort. I worry that the game will be filled with typical MMO players going "hurry up dude and just click kill him" or whatever. For this reason I suspect I will pug much less in this game than in previous games.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7453 on: June 23, 2011, 11:17:11 AM

I'm ready to preorder this myself. I only have a few remaining worries at this point:

1) End game. All they've mentioned is raiding or pvp. Both of them have little long term interest for me.
3) Other players. I want to do the story. I won't be skipping cutscenes or anything of the sort. I worry that the game will be filled with typical MMO players going "hurry up dude and just click kill him" or whatever. For this reason I suspect I will pug much less in this game than in previous games.

1) Daily repeatables are in there too.  But they claim that their PvP and raiding will be "sooooooo awsome".
2) Probably just like any other MMO at this point...but with a story  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
3) The consensus I'm seeing is BW wants those typical MMO players to go DIAF.  Story is what's driving this game, and they aren't bending just yet to those people.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7454 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:17 AM

This is something I have been sort of wondering about myself.  Do they have all their VAs on extended contracts so that no one can back out in three years?  What happens if someone gets hit by a bus?  

I guess the only thing I can think of is that they have made a conscious decision to cross that bridge when they get to it.  It will be a little weird to have your characters voice change when you ding 51 if you've just spent a year or more listening to him/her but if they can swap Darrens or Beckys between seasons without everyone freaking out maybe it doesn't really matter.

Pages: 1 ... 211 212 [213] 214 215 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: