Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136842 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #6020 on: April 30, 2011, 06:36:47 PM

Ahh ok. So the one person that wrote a negative review is totally right and all the positive reviewers are just lying. Thanks for the info!

Every impression I've heard of the game has been similar to this one people are arguing about - that it's standard fetch quests with light sabers. Are the positive previews that exist (and honestly I have not seen any) positive because it's Star Wars or because it's a good game?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6021 on: April 30, 2011, 07:40:45 PM

The Ars Technica one linked in this very thread is quite positive, and seems to come down on the side of 'good game'.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #6022 on: April 30, 2011, 07:49:05 PM

I can't really take this guy totally seriously.   Why was it supposed to change the shape of the MMO template while leveling? Hell I HATE diku but after cataclysm leveling in WoW is a lot of fun (outside the unupdated BC+Wrath stuff).   The whole article reeks of him having some sort of weird expectations that got let down.

Because they've spent immense amounts of cash and time on a supposedly massively valuable IP, combined with their own "style", so coming out with "more of the same" is somewhat of a disappointment? It is not surprising though, to make that money back they need to appeal to the lowest common denominator and lure WoW players.

Besides, watching all that money and self-confidence run off the tracks is its own pleasure.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6023 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:45 AM

However, Bioware hyped it as different, so if it's not they have only themselves to blame when folks are disappointed.

I think Bioware has put enough information out there about the game, that even people who are only half paying attention should be able to come to reasonable expectations at this point.  There are probably a dozen people in this thread who could have written that same preview without even playing the game.  That's my only real problem with the preview.  There's just no real insight there.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6024 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:54 AM

Reading this thread from start to finish, it's fun watching expectations slowly erode before my eyes.  awesome, for real

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6025 on: May 01, 2011, 08:43:15 AM

Whose expectations are eroding? I'm just seeing the usual stuff from the same people who have been anxious for the failure of the game all along. Perhaps you're thinking of another forum where people with irrational expectations of the game and are now shocked and dismayed that it's an MMO with the usual features of MMOs have been posting?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6026 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:59 AM

I love that people are getting upset because it's not living up to PR.

I mean...how could it after Rift REVOLUTIONIZED MMO?  why so serious?
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #6027 on: May 01, 2011, 10:08:20 AM

oh, speaking of Rift.  Anyone playing anymore?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #6028 on: May 01, 2011, 10:51:38 AM

Very few.  I'm about done with it myself.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6029 on: May 01, 2011, 02:04:42 PM

All my friend who actually think WoW is good are still playing RIFT.   All the others have mostly quit.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6030 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:07 PM

Which means they'll do the same for SWTOR and any other diku-clones that get released.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6031 on: May 01, 2011, 06:13:34 PM

Reading this thread from start to finish, it's fun watching expectations slowly erode before my eyes.  awesome, for real

It was a complete journey from "it's BioWare!" to "it's BioWare AUSTIN!".

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6032 on: May 01, 2011, 07:05:35 PM

Rift wasn't bad, it was just BLAND. the whole game screams "generic fantasy setting" none of the charm wow had and to some extent still has, though its 5 years dated now.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6033 on: May 01, 2011, 07:12:45 PM

Rift had too many more "This is worse than WoW" moments and not enough "This is better". I liked it well enough, but there were just too many little annoyances and most of my friends are still playing WoW so I went back.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6034 on: May 01, 2011, 08:18:44 PM

Rift wasn't bad, it was just BLAND. the whole game screams "generic fantasy setting" none of the charm wow had and to some extent still has, though its 5 years dated now.
That was my main issue. The soul/role system was really great, but it was bolted onto generic fantasy.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #6035 on: May 01, 2011, 10:34:23 PM

Sky summed it up fairly well. You had Time Travel, ferchrissakes. How could you not go interesting places with that? Jesus, bolt some steampunk shit on that bitch or something.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #6036 on: May 02, 2011, 12:11:06 AM

Guild Wars...

Thread has been owned.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6037 on: May 02, 2011, 03:46:16 AM

Which means they'll do the same for SWTOR and any other diku-clones that get released.

For me like I said all my WoW friends are still playing RIFT.   That alone is a major accomplishment since they almost always go back to WoW right away when a patch comes out.  If SWTOR can do the same then things will finally start to get interesting.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6038 on: May 02, 2011, 05:31:40 AM

Is this supposed to be green?  People here have been so vocally dead set in their opinions that this resembles a politics thread.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6039 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:36 AM

For me like I said all my WoW friends are still playing RIFT.   That alone is a major accomplishment since they almost always go back to WoW right away when a patch comes out.  If SWTOR can do the same then things will finally start to get interesting.
Me, I'd focus on the people who aren't or don't want to play WoW.

Because it seems everything else ends with 'I'm going back to WoW'.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6040 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:49 AM

Some people are going back t wow but the big problem is a lot of people aren't. A lot of the people aren't going back to wow because it's simply too old now, they've been playing wow so long they can't even go back. A game doesn't need to be different than wow to get all those people, it just needs to be on the same level.

On that note, even of swtor is a complete diku clone is COULD still do great if it's executed well but I don't see that happening.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6041 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49:15 AM

Cataclysm is helping to alleviate that.  Rift it doesn't make me want to play WoW the same way Age of Conan, LOTRO, EQ2, and others did.  This really isn't all Rift either, as others have pointed out, it's pretty bland.  It's very well executed and has great, functional graphics, but it's safe.

Usually I'm drawn back to WoWs great accessibility in the face of a current game's overwhelming incompetence in some area.  With my current play patterns, I'm just not hitting that with Rift.  I'm not hitting the end game, and even if I did, WoW isn't the WoW of WOLK anymore.  I can't just go back and faceroll my way into some epics.  So, it's now my filler game inbetween single player game releases.

Like Lakov said, SWTOR could do well even if it's WoW with laser swords and there might be some real opportunity here as WoW continues to stumble as it ages.

-Rasix
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6042 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53:24 AM

So would I but as long as the Diku arena is uncrowded the people with money will keep trying to clone WoW.     If we have RIFT,WoW,TOR,GW2 all crowding the market though then they will be forced to differentiate.  
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6043 on: May 02, 2011, 09:02:01 AM

So would I but as long as the Diku arena is uncrowded the people with money will keep trying to clone WoW.     If we have RIFT,WoW,TOR,GW2 all crowding the market though then they will be forced to differentiate.  

The problem with MMOs is that whatever is the most popular is going to outshine pretty much everything else by a wide margin when ti comes to profits.  At least since WoW.  If you want to compete with WoW, you have to spend like Blizzard, and if you want to spend like Blizzard, you can't sustain it with a small player base.  That means that unless you blow the doors off with an awesome release, you probably aren't going to get a second chance.  It only appears uncrowded because everyone is looking up at the pedestal WoW is on, and forgetting to look down at the floor that is littered with the corpses dozens of DIKUs that fizzled.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6044 on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:54 AM

Which is why I wouldn't try competing with WoW.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6045 on: May 03, 2011, 06:35:14 AM

If you want to compete with WoW, you have to spend like Blizzard, and if you want to spend like Blizzard, you can't sustain it with a small player base. 

EA is spending like - and probably in excess - of Blizzard.

The larger difference between now and 2004 is the range of choice players have. Players are much quicker to jump off a bad launch and go to one of many titles, including F2P, that offer a better experience.

At its heart, EA is trying to compete with Activision and its revenue juggernaut. They are definitely competing for the same space in the market of 'multi-million Western player' MMO.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #6046 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:51 AM

No such thing unless you don't charge a subscriptions.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6047 on: May 03, 2011, 07:37:15 AM

WoW does not, and never has, equaled the entire gaming market.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #6048 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:30 AM

Hyperbole much? WoW is an mmorpg, if you make a mmorpg and charge 15 dollars a month you are hence force competing with WoW. Unless WoW is unavailable in the region of the world you are selling to.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6049 on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:46 AM

I will likely pick this up, and just see how it goes.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6050 on: May 03, 2011, 08:08:24 AM

WoW is a very specific kind of mmo. There are other customers not being serviced by WoW. Rift went for the basics, a competent game...but the real problem with WoW isn't the game itself, it's the community. You simply cannot bank on breaking those community bonds. It might happen, but I wouldn't be gambling six figures on it. I'd be gambling on smaller, polished niche titles that gain and hold a smaller, non-WoW audience.

In the case of TOR (and Rift) I think there will be enough initial interest to recoup a healthy chunk of the development budget and both games look to be competent enough to continue to generate a decent amount of revenue, as long as you don't expect meelions of players subbed.

F2P is a bubble.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #6051 on: May 03, 2011, 09:04:02 AM

WoW is a very specific kind of mmo. There are other customers not being serviced by WoW. Rift went for the basics, a competent game...but the real problem with WoW isn't the game itself, it's the community. You simply cannot bank on breaking those community bonds. It might happen, but I wouldn't be gambling six figures on it. I'd be gambling on smaller, polished niche titles that gain and hold a smaller, non-WoW audience.

In the case of TOR (and Rift) I think there will be enough initial interest to recoup a healthy chunk of the development budget and both games look to be competent enough to continue to generate a decent amount of revenue, as long as you don't expect meelions of players subbed.

F2P is a bubble.

WoW is a very generic game built for the sole purpose of appealing to a very wide audience, even if that audience is only the people who would have played EQ1 but for whatever reason didn't. Sure they are customers not being serviced by wow. They play guild wars. And that's not really an mmo (according to most people) so the next big audience are the people who play EvE. And we are not finding 300k more people willing to sit through EVE anytime this decade. The only way TOR will function is if at some point it is a good enough game on its own. Gaming communities are built around people actually liking the damn game not by migration. The 'something' that Rift got right despite its blandness is that on its own without the friend list/guild mates/ clan blah blah people actually like the game, at least at enough key points.

F2P brings things back to what they used to be. People are lessed married to mmo's now that you can pick and drop them as you please independent of the money you spend initially and continually. In the good old days, games were made people play them and if you like video games you look for more games to play. MMo says, game is made, people play that game and only play that game. The only be one mentality hurts gaming. 
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6052 on: May 03, 2011, 09:24:15 AM

Sure they are customers not being serviced by wow. They play guild wars. And that's not really an mmo (according to most people) so rlag frab nryjatjn jrrghjrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #6053 on: May 03, 2011, 10:45:24 AM

Hyperbole much? WoW is an mmorpg, if you make a mmorpg and charge 15 dollars a month you are hence force competing with WoW. Unless WoW is unavailable in the region of the world you are selling to.

WoW is just like Eve Online!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #6054 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:38 AM

WoW was simplistic but certainly not generic.  You had nomadic orcs, native american minotaur people, goth zombies and jamaican trolls and lots of other 'hooks' for people to start the game up and say "oh this is awesome!" and going to undercity or thunderbluuf for the first time truly felt that way for many.  No game is really capturing that feeling, that initial 'hook' wow had.  Even if you copy every game system in wow you still need to dress to impress. 

two noteworthy examples:
AoC- it was pretty, it grabbed you right off the bat but the actual game mechanics and unfinished zones as levels progressed really killed it for many.

Rift- Great game systems, everything ran smooth(until you did an outdoor boss with 50 people there) and questing to the end cap was seamless for me. Except rift was boring, the whole setting felt bland and washed out, interesting premises but no good 'hooks' hell even the races were all basically the same in style.

you don't need to go niche, you dont need to re-invent the wheel, you just need to upgrade the popular model that exists.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: