Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136844 times)
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5565 on: March 11, 2011, 01:05:59 PM

I'm in -- Sith Marauder...going to get on my Darth Maul groove even if I know one day I'll just be cut in half and fall down a nameless shaft

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5566 on: March 11, 2011, 01:13:05 PM

Starting to look pre-order worthy.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #5567 on: March 11, 2011, 01:24:55 PM

Taral V Flashpoint gameplay video, via Askajedi.com; Jedi Knight perspective (14m55sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qk6O8Qzd0Y

Smuggler:

http://www.empire-enforcers.com/videos/regarder/107/star-wars--the-old-republic-swtor/pax-2011-smuggler-gameplay (2 minutes video)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 01:30:39 PM by Lucas »

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5568 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:18 PM

After watching those three videos I have been sold on not purchasing this if it follows that standard MMO sub model.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5569 on: March 11, 2011, 02:12:50 PM

The beginning of the video is exactly why its hilarious that they have so much voice acted stuff in this game.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5570 on: March 11, 2011, 02:13:48 PM

lol - keyboard turning  awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5571 on: March 11, 2011, 02:19:45 PM

After watching those three videos I have been sold on not purchasing this if it follows that standard MMO sub model.

This. The ship combat looks ok, but on-rails shootery aspects do not seem more interesting than a mini-game to me.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #5572 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:52 PM

This. The ship combat looks ok, but on-rails shootery aspects do not seem more interesting than a mini-game to me.

What would it really take to create interesting, fast-paced, cinematic-style, multiplayer spaceship combat? When a battlefield has no borders and is nearly-infinite in all directions, much of the combat loses the firefight-level of intensity (i.e. aerial dogfighting) unless artificially restricted in some way. While I agree SWTOR's is more a mini-game, perhaps it will eventually evolve into something more than just tunnel shooting and dodging asteroids? And as for the capital ships, how to make these playable in some way without taking the EVE route?

(To me, while EVE may be many things, a fast-paced cinematic combat game is not one of them. Witness the huge disconnect between the space battles they create for their video ads and those that actually take place in game or during the alliance tournament.)

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5573 on: March 11, 2011, 02:44:19 PM

SWG's JtL was a blast.  I was a six or seven time Ace.  It had a fun component building game (although requiring way too much storage).  More of that would be perfectly fine.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #5574 on: March 11, 2011, 03:50:08 PM

I guess one has to play this to get a conclusion to Kotor 1 & 2?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5575 on: March 11, 2011, 07:49:15 PM

I guess one has to play this to get a conclusion to Kotor 1 & 2?

It's an MMO, the only "conclusion" you're likely to get is a half page of text on the website thanking fans for their support.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5576 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:58 PM

I'm sure it won't - there will be day 0 RMT items you can buy on top of that $17.50 a month sub fee.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5577 on: March 12, 2011, 03:38:42 AM

Daniel Erickson (Lead Writer) interview about the Taral V flashpoint (flashpoint "philosophy" in general, role of the classes, healing):

http://darthhater.com/2011/03/12/pax-east-daniel-erickson-interview/
----

Tatooine presentation at Pax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lONTsZRiZfk

Hoth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3zZxJvzL74

Tatooine looks quite gorgeous.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #5578 on: March 12, 2011, 05:04:25 AM

What would it really take to create interesting, fast-paced, cinematic-style, multiplayer spaceship combat?

First game I ever played.

Multiplayer?  That's also been done.  By all accounts it was pretty cool.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:06:24 AM by Sheepherder »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5579 on: March 12, 2011, 05:30:57 AM

Please insert a BIG disclaimer before putting in any image related to Wing Commander; my heart is weak.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5580 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:32 AM

Taral V flashpoint, Developer Walkthrough; 16m06secs long, hi-res downloadable versions too (click on the arrow thingy as usual).

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/taral-v-developer-walkthrough

Edit: Also a Youtube link via DarthHater (720p):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVxIVs8Ntc

Just finished watching it and yes, of course is ye olde MMO combat (which I really don't care about for this particular title); still, I was more interested in the dialogues, atmosphere and visuals of the instance, and these aspects satisfied me, at least the glimpses we were given. Hmm, the Jedi Consular (and related ACs) is still my class of choice on the republic side, yes yes.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:44:50 AM by Lucas »

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #5581 on: March 12, 2011, 09:15:31 AM

It's an MMO, the only "conclusion" you're likely to get is a half page of text on the website thanking fans for their support.
What's all the intricate voice work good for then? And all this talk about profession specific storylines? A storyline has to have an end, no?

--edit: How big are the planets going to be anyway? Some dev blogs in the past showed screenshot of the ingame world builder, and they looked pretty small and cramped. The Tatooine video starts with a wide desert shot and a dead sandcrawler on the horizon. So?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 09:17:25 AM by TripleDES »

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #5582 on: March 12, 2011, 12:15:35 PM

What's all the intricate voice work good for then? And all this talk about profession specific storylines? A storyline has to have an end, no?

You don't read comic books, do you?  You can drag a storyline out for a loooooong time if it's profitable.

I'm sure there will be conclusions to the mini arcs for each zone/planet/whatever, but if you're looking for another Endor, I think you'll be disappointed.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5583 on: March 12, 2011, 04:30:32 PM

Just finished watching it and yes, of course is ye olde MMO combat (which I really don't care about for this particular title); still, I was more interested in the dialogues, atmosphere and visuals of the instance, and these aspects satisfied me, at least the glimpses we were given. Hmm, the Jedi Consular (and related ACs) is still my class of choice on the republic side, yes yes.

Played at PAX East. They had demo stations set up in pre-rolled groups of four for those that wanted to group and others who wanted to play the origin stories. I played as a Vanguard on the Republic side with a Jedi Consular (ranged), Jedi Knight (the other tank), and Smuggler (healer).

We were all in the early 30s with a full bar of abilities we had 45 minutes to learn from an iPad once we got to the inner line (the outter being 3 hours). We had 45 minutes to play, and they dumped us in Taral to run what amounts to a dungeon instance. So even though I was in a pickup group, we had a lot of time to get to know each other.

My headphones bit so I couldn't hear the dialog. But there wasn't much choice in this dialog like there was in the Origin story stations. I didn't get to play Origin (wasn't waiting another 3 hours), but they had many monitors set up. The origin stuff felt more KOTOR while the group content felt more WoW (as in, foregone conclusion and your dialog choices still meant you were going to Taral).

It's ye old MMO combat, much closer to WoW than DCUO. So it was immediately approachable if not appreciably different. Everything you'd expect from a balanced group with taunts, heals, DPS, CC, etc with standing-in-spot fighting even though there's guns and lasers. They have a cover system though, for which I'm glad. I never get those battlescenes where futuristic space marines are running and gunning at each other. Who'd fight like that? Guns are not swords.

*Insert many disclaimers about incomplete UI and balancing left to go*

What would it really take to create interesting, fast-paced, cinematic-style, multiplayer spaceship combat? When a battlefield has no borders and is nearly-infinite in all directions, much of the combat loses the firefight-level of intensity (i.e. aerial dogfighting) unless artificially restricted in some way. While I agree SWTOR's is more a mini-game, perhaps it will eventually evolve into something more than just tunnel shooting and dodging asteroids? And as for the capital ships, how to make these playable in some way without taking the EVE route?
Space combat in movies is always funny to me. If there's no boundaries, very little gravity, beam weapons and force fields, I wouldn't even expect to see the enemy ship except in some subspace/nullspace radar analog :)

Having said that, I want Freespace 2. Probably won't get it in SWTOR, but as long as they improve SWG:JTL which I loved, I'll be happy.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5584 on: March 12, 2011, 04:50:16 PM

standing-in-spot fighting even though there's guns and lasers.

:(

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5585 on: March 12, 2011, 06:39:36 PM

If that even slightly surprises or disappoints, you've been living under a rock.

-Rasix
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #5586 on: March 12, 2011, 07:19:23 PM

This isn't the game for me, but for those interested my buddy sent me a text from PAX.

Old Republic looks better than I thought graphic wise, but the UI looks like shit and the game plays at like half the speed of wow

Edit: Whoopsie doodle, didn't see what Darnaiq wrote.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:21:21 PM by Ashamanchill »

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #5587 on: March 12, 2011, 08:17:36 PM

The part that cracked me up was the healer-specced smuggler.

He literally stands behind cover, dabbling on a his wrist computer while a probe flies around healing the tank~er, trooper, occasionally popping out to take really weak potshots at the enemy.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5588 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:06 PM

Sounds Great.

ACK!

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5589 on: March 13, 2011, 03:13:26 PM

He literally stands behind cover, dabbling on a his wrist computer while a probe flies around healing the tank~er, trooper, occasionally popping out to take really weak potshots at the enemy.

I remember that from the movies!
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #5590 on: March 13, 2011, 03:51:09 PM

Fuck that.

There's plenty of shit to pan this game for, because you didn't see shit in the movies is not one of them.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #5591 on: March 13, 2011, 03:57:59 PM

Fuck that.

There's plenty of shit to pan this game for, because you didn't see shit in the movies is not one of them.

Boo hoo.  If a smuggler hiding behind a rock and being specced as a healer can't be made fun of for not being star warsy, then this thread is going to get boring fast.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #5592 on: March 13, 2011, 05:20:58 PM

After 5592 posts and 160 pages? No way.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5593 on: March 13, 2011, 05:33:07 PM

My expectations were pretty damn low, but it looked better then I expected.

No where near as good as I hoped either though.

-edit-

From an article on Darth Hater: http://darthhater.com/2011/03/13/developer-meet-and-greet-live-blog/

"No clown armor. You equip different color armor. There is an optional "colormatch" that will even out color."

Hurrah!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:01:03 PM by Fordel »

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #5594 on: March 13, 2011, 07:15:29 PM

Ironically, when you think about it, a party medic hiding behind cover and managing drones to do the job remotely is a pretty fucking intelligent and resourceful way to do things.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5595 on: March 13, 2011, 08:10:38 PM

When the role is called "medic".

But really, it doesn't matter. The group mechanics are straight out of the WoW playbook, so somebody had to play the dedicated healer. I'd have gone Consular, and given Smuggler the ranged DPS, but nobody asked :) As long as the class story arcs and soloability are good enough for the never-gonna-raid crowd, then they'll have succeeded in their primary goal of getting a bunch of people to buy it and stick around for a few months.

The UI felt very clunky, but I attribute that to being way unfinished. There's a lot of niceties that RIFT had out of the box (as if they hired a bunch of WoW addon writers) that just aren't in TOR (yet?). Nothing egregious given it was a 45 minute structure play session with one goal and one way to do it. But it felt unfinished by a good margin.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5596 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:04 PM

Ironically, when you think about it, a party medic hiding behind cover and managing drones to do the job remotely is a pretty fucking intelligent and resourceful way to do things.

He's also in the best position to run away if there is a team wipe.

Certainly sounds like low-risk healing, so it'll be curious how (if) BioWare manages to balance it out.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5597 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46:25 PM

Who cares if he runs away during a party wipe?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5598 on: March 13, 2011, 11:05:14 PM

The large preponderance of psychopaths that play MMOs and think that ANYONE surviving when they die is a crime against humanity.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #5599 on: March 13, 2011, 11:33:27 PM

The team who swears he should have been doing a better job healing them. If the team wipes, BLAME THE HEALORZ.

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: