Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:00:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136840 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2065 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:46 AM

My cynicism agrees with you.  You'll be able to buy light saber colors other than blue or Red from the EA Store as well.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Put your cynicism in the shop for an upgrade.

Red sabers will be EA Store exclusive, for more than whatever promotional money you get. Cha-ching.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2066 on: August 03, 2009, 09:35:34 AM

Will my alt, a force sensitive bisexual blue titted twi'lek cheese crafter, have to pick up combat skills to get to her partner's house?
If there's any one thing that MMOs all manage to disappoint me with, it's tying everything non-combat into combat.  With the sad, sad exception of pre-revamp Horizons.

Well, Horizons and UO, SWG, AtitD, EVE, Puzzle Pirates, PotBS, even EQ had fishing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2067 on: August 04, 2009, 08:36:08 AM

I might have missed UO, and I guess I can toss EVE in there except for the "you can get assploded anywhere" bit.  Same for UO, then, I guess, so touche.  Not PotBS, though, everything was connected to combat in there unless I somehow missed it.

ATITD doesn't count since it does not have combat.  Puzzle Pirates... well that's an odd case, isn't it?  I played puzzles against other people; combat or not?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2068 on: August 04, 2009, 12:17:27 PM

Puzzle Pirates is the purest PVP MMO there is.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2069 on: August 04, 2009, 12:20:47 PM

AtitD does have combat, but only on April 1st. Plus in the first telling there was a whole pvp 'test of conflict' line; admittedly you had to build your own arena out of butterbeans and breadcrumbs before you could take part.

Puzzle Pirates... well that's an odd case, isn't it?  I played puzzles against other people; combat or not?

But you didn't have to, and it is no more combat than competitive flax pking in atitd, or market listing pvp in EVE.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2070 on: August 04, 2009, 12:27:19 PM

ATITD doesn't count since it does not have combat.  

Where in PvP is the word "combat" mentioned?  PvP is about player vs player conflict.  Conflict comes in many forms.  

In Atitd you could fuck with someone on a far deeper level than you ever could in any standard pvp MMO.  It's all perspective.  If you don't call the ability to perma ban someone's main character from the game world as pvp, then I'm not sure what counts. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:29:19 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2071 on: August 04, 2009, 12:32:29 PM

Yego's complaint was about non-combat and combat getting tied together though, no? Not PVP in a larger sense.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2072 on: August 04, 2009, 12:34:28 PM

Yego's complaint was about non-combat and combat getting tied together though, no? Not PVP in a larger sense.

Damn, I need to learn how to read.

My apologies.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2073 on: August 04, 2009, 01:00:38 PM

Exactly.

There really were explorers back then. Now all that shit is hand-fed to the ritalin-addled shitheels that are today's MMO mainstream.
Except, you know, UO Stratics.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2074 on: August 04, 2009, 02:25:52 PM

Yeah, but even UO stratics missed a few things.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
schild
Administrator

Reply #2075 on: August 04, 2009, 10:21:25 PM

Well, Horizons and UO, SWG, AtitD, EVE, Puzzle Pirates, PotBS, even EQ had fishing.

Just because a meteor doesn't shoot back, doesn't mean mining wasn't combat. I mean shit, you had to spec for something to do anything. May as well have been combat.

ATiTD is one of the most competitive games I've ever seen. Combat or not.

Puzzle Pirates is definitely completely piled on alternative combat.

PotBS was bad.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2076 on: August 06, 2009, 12:34:54 PM

I have an alt in EVE that has only ever undocked once (to fly to Jita). That alt spends its entire life playing the market.

Manufacturing also has no combat-like activity.

And serious mining is nothing like combat, it involves managing automated moon mining equipment, and arranging logistics to support the large scale chemical engineering required to turn mined minerals into useful materials.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2077 on: August 06, 2009, 03:12:01 PM

I thought it involved pointing mining laser A at asteroid B and waiting.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
WayAbvPar

Reply #2078 on: August 06, 2009, 04:48:02 PM

PotBS was bad.

SO bad. I tried so very hard to love it, too.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2079 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:37 AM

First news coming from GamesCom: SWTOR will be completely localized in French and German, voiceovers included (now that's quite a money sink, considering the advertised amount of spoken dialogue). The official website  is now avaiable in those languages, with localized forums too.

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20090818_001

Still waiting for the public gameplay demo, of course.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2080 on: August 18, 2009, 10:31:20 AM

People are still screaming for that gameplay video?  The very same gameplay video they've already seen?  I can't stand those forums for any longer than about 2 minutes at a time without getting stabby and wanting shove every one of them face first into a woodchipper machine.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2081 on: August 18, 2009, 05:58:37 PM

SWTOR will be completely localized in French and German, voiceovers included

Dumb.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2082 on: August 18, 2009, 06:05:11 PM

It'll be funny when they mix up which region gets which voice in a patch.

"Sacreblieu, le Jedi!"

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2083 on: August 18, 2009, 06:06:20 PM

Given that voiceover is the main selling point of the game seems like this had to happen.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2084 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:09 PM

I wonder if all dialogue is going to be recorded in Russian and Mandarin for when EA wants to launch in those regions? Or if SWOR is going to be localised in content for specific regions?

Seems like BioWare is going to bite off more than they can chew and all that is going to happen is that the production / release of new content is going to be slowed down.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2085 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:31 PM

Seems like BioWare Austin is going to bite off more than they can chew and all that is going to happen is that the production / release of new content is going to be slowed down.

You don't say.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2086 on: August 18, 2009, 08:01:02 PM

yeah, sounds quite hellish when it comes to releasing new content, modify lines of dialogue ecc. Dunno, looks a bit excessive to me (not matter how well organized they might be), quite a waste of resources.

By the way, of course we all knew it was coming, but another class has been more or less announced through a Gamespot interview, the Sith Warrior:

http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6215526/star-wars-the-old-republic-updated-qanda-the-sith-warrior

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2087 on: August 18, 2009, 08:08:47 PM

What's the over/under on the amount of money that will have been spent making this game?  80 mil?  100?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2088 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:21 AM

What's the over/under on the amount of money that will have been spent making this game?  80 mil?  100?
Let's just go with "more."
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:06:15 AM by schild »
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2089 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:48 AM

I like how the guy takes 3 paragraphs to say "tank/dps with a rage meter" to try and make it sound less generic.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2090 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:33 PM

What's the over/under on the amount of money that will have been spent making this game?  80 mil?  100?

Holy crap.  125 million?

Who does Walton have by the short and curlies to get that kind of money?  FFS, it's not like he has this amazing track record of success.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2091 on: August 19, 2009, 12:39:39 PM

What's the over/under on the amount of money that will have been spent making this game?  80 mil?  100?

Holy crap.  125 million?

Who does Walton have by the short and curlies to get that kind of money?  FFS, it's not like he has this amazing track record of success.
Riccitello is being... not smart.

I'd still go with "more."
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2092 on: August 19, 2009, 04:11:58 PM

Takes money to make money.

Iron Man cost $140 million to make and has made $585 million total. WoW has made $258 million in box sales alone. Throw in 6 months of sub money and Iron Man is left in the dust.

If movie studios are willing to throw down >$100 million for films why shouldn't game companies be expected to make at least the same investment for a potentially greater return? If they did we might see less shitty games.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2093 on: August 19, 2009, 04:13:29 PM

Facepalm
schild
Administrator

Reply #2094 on: August 19, 2009, 04:14:43 PM

Takes money to make money.

Iron Man cost $140 million to make and has made $585 million total. WoW has made $258 million in box sales alone. Throw in 6 months of sub money and Iron Man is left in the dust.

If movie studios are willing to throw down >$100 million for films why shouldn't game companies be expected to make at least the same investment for a potentially greater return? If they did we might see less shitty games.
What a terrible example.

Now, I'm not saying what anyone is instantly going to assume I'm saying, but it's the best example to shut this silly argument down:

Would you give Uwe Boll $140M to make a movie?

I'm sure you understand now.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2095 on: August 19, 2009, 04:19:28 PM

Would you give Uwe Boll $140M to make a movie?

No, but if I were in the position to do it, I might have been convinced to give James Ohlen $140 million to make an MMO spin-off of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #2096 on: August 19, 2009, 04:31:38 PM

No, but I wouldn't expect Michael Bay to make Transformers on $40 million either.

You want a non-shit MMO someone is going to have to pay for it. I'm not saying that $$$ = good MMO but that kind of money should be the baseline, not being stupid.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
schild
Administrator

Reply #2097 on: August 19, 2009, 04:34:26 PM

sigh
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2098 on: August 19, 2009, 05:08:42 PM

sigh

Hey, I get it!  That should tell you how terribly you explained it to everyone else.  Use a chart.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2099 on: August 20, 2009, 07:59:25 AM

I think schild is saying they should cancel SWTOR and import the models into UO.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: