Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:37:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136847 times)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13405 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:38 AM

Unless you're just playing the devil's advocate to keep the thread moving, there's no need to talk further about addons. SWTOR doesn't have them. Although, like Rift, I'll betcha they add em later on.

As for macros (which also aren't in SWTOR), WoW-style macros are fine, because they are very strictly limited. Rift-style macros aren't.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:53:11 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #13406 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:10 AM

Again, there's a big difference between allowing addons and just being able to move the stupid mini map to a different spot.  The former I don't care about one way or the other.  Not having the latter is clownshoes.

Over and out.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #13407 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:57 AM

Wow. As in the exclamation rather than the game. The last two pages have done more to make me glad I never raided in WoW than anything else I've ever read. Basically two pages of "WoW was unplayable unless you had 15 third party mods that did everything for you automatically!!1!!"

(I do agree that you should be able to move UI components though)

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13408 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:15 AM

(I do agree that you should be able to move UI components though)

I'll agree here as well as resizing/keybinding. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13409 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:52 AM

Does the ui even allow for multiple hotbars or is there a lot of shift/alt clicking involved? I actually like seeing all my buttons.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #13410 on: November 22, 2011, 10:03:22 AM

People equate UI mods with active mods, which are really mini-programs. EQ2 doesn't have add ons as such, but it allows virtually unlimited UI replacement. I used Profit and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a single bit of the original UI left, but I think the only additional feature it added was one click healing and curing.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13411 on: November 22, 2011, 10:05:49 AM

Does the ui even allow for multiple hotbars or is there a lot of shift/alt clicking involved? I actually like seeing all my buttons.

You can have up to four visible hotbars. Most classes will need all four just to fit the skills they get on them.

I just want a goddamn UI scale option with the ability to move UI elements around. The UI was very obviously designed for a widescreen monitor with lots of screen real estate, so those of us still stuck in the land of 4:3 have a UI that takes up way too much room.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #13412 on: November 22, 2011, 10:07:11 AM

I can't recall in the ridiculous amount of press released by Bioware on this game, but didn't they specifically say they were working on an addon API and that it was going to go in some time after retail in a major patch? Same with a Dungeon Finder?

SWTOR's forums are easily as bad as WoW's the more I read them. The vocal minority there is pretty anti-LFD and anti-addon.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #13413 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:37 AM

A Dungeon Finder was talked about by devs this year.  Won't be in release, but they have not denied it ever going in at all.

I seem to recall there being an option in the configuration for resizing the UI,,,I may be wrong.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13414 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:01 AM

The same (very) vocal minority showed up in the Rift forums. And here, for that matter, assuming those guys aren't just being contrary. They lost in Rift, just like they will lose with SWTOR. Because they're wrong.

As for hotbars, you can have two hotbars at the bottom, one on the left, and one on the right. They are not resizable, movable, scalable, and you can't adjust transparency. You can hotkey each button individually, but there are a couple reserved keys unavailable-- not a big deal. I believe one of the bottom hotbars is lost once you get a companion-- I haven't actively played SWTOR in a couple months, I just login briefly with each patch to see what changed.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #13415 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:17 AM

ಠ_ಠ

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13416 on: November 22, 2011, 10:17:31 AM

The vocal minority are those players that see DPS parses and threat-detectors as detrimental to the game and that's really what they're against, not add-ons in general.   My response is usually, "they wouldn't care if they didn't suck at playing the PvE grouping part so very much."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #13417 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:20 AM

As for custom UIs and addons, while they worked wonders for WoW, I think I've reached the point where I'm just indifferent about them.  If they ever allow for us to reskin the UI, let alone use addons, great.  But even WoW killed off some addons because they actually integrated the feature(s) in to the base UI.

And if the mods had never existed none of the XML / Lua guys at Blizzard would have said "Oh... that's neat."

The only one I usually ask people to install if they insist on playing without common raid mods is libheal, because it benefits everyone else who is running mods without impacting your gameplay at all. I know all of one person who healed raids in WoW without a single healing mod, and I think she's certifiably insane.

The "display incoming heals" part of libheal has been included in the Blizzard UI.

I once watched my younger brother solo heal Malchezzar on his paladin without mods because the other healer died in the first shadow nova.

Wow. As in the exclamation rather than the game. The last two pages have done more to make me glad I never raided in WoW than anything else I've ever read. Basically two pages of "WoW was unplayable unless you had 15 third party mods that did everything for you automatically!!1!!"

You're getting a false impression because people are picky about what they use.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13418 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:47 AM

Did SWTOR turn on their combatlog in the last week?  As of a week ago it wasn't in.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13419 on: November 22, 2011, 10:19:55 AM

The vocal minority are those players that see DPS parses and threat-detectors as detrimental to the game and that's really what they're against, not add-ons in general.   My response is usually, "they wouldn't care if they didn't suck at playing the PvE grouping part so very much."
Right, they didn't know what they were doing and got kicked out of a group/raid/guild, and they feel that nobody will notice how much they suck without meters. I truly and honestly believe this.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13420 on: November 22, 2011, 10:23:31 AM

Right, they didn't know what they were doing and got kicked out of a group/raid/guild, and they feel that nobody will notice how much they suck without meters. I truly and honestly believe this.

So you don't think it's in response to the min/maxer mentality? I'm not against them, but they do turn regular people into dicks, idiots, and meter watchers.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13421 on: November 22, 2011, 10:28:02 AM

Dikus are enormous time investments; everybody playing at a high level is a powergamer, because it takes hundreds of hours to get there. Obviously you get some edge cases who RP or whatever, but the game mechanics don't support that sort of thing except in providing a chatroom. Dikus aren't SWG or UO.

Regarding the combatlog, you're right, it's not in the game now. SWTOR used to have one. From a quick google it looks like it was removed a couple weeks ago and nobody knows why. They're going to have to either re-add it or just give up on modern WoW-style raiding entirely. That would be a bold choice, but EA isn't going to let them deviate from the model (WoW) that much.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:30:33 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #13422 on: November 22, 2011, 10:31:40 AM

Could it be that 3rd party dps/hps meters rely on combatlog info?   Just a guess.  Makes me wonder if they're trying to avoid their use.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13423 on: November 22, 2011, 10:33:06 AM

They do indeed, but again, if they want to promote a competitive raiding environment, they must re-enable combatlogs.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #13424 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:15 AM

Could it be that 3rd party dps/hps meters rely on combatlog info?   Just a guess.  Makes me wonder if they're trying to avoid their use.

If you want to disable tools like parsers, you don't need to kill the combat log, just kill dumping it to a file.  Or only show your part of it and no one else's, like LotRO does.

Still, I think hiding information from players "for their own good" is idiotic.  Players being able to make intelligent analysis of a game's systems makes for a better game.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13425 on: November 22, 2011, 10:40:14 AM

don't show buffs/debuffs

Wait, what? Seriously you can't tell what buffs and debuffs are on your group?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13426 on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:20 AM

Again, there's a big difference between allowing addons and just being able to move the stupid mini map to a different spot.  The former I don't care about one way or the other.  Not having the latter is clownshoes.

I remember when mmogs didn't have maps, mini or otherwise. We had to craft our own maps on paper animal skin, and we damn well liked it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #13427 on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:38 AM

They do indeed, but again, if they want to promote a competitive raiding environment, they must re-enable combatlogs.

It's entirely possible that they do not want to do this.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13428 on: November 22, 2011, 10:43:52 AM

You can see buffs/debuffs in a group (although it also shows long-duration ones), but not in a raid.

Hiding information from users is very oldschool-- everquest1 in fact. I was actually the guy that proved EQ1 stats did nothing, back in like 1999 or so on the shaman boards. Remember when each EQ1 class had its own site?

They don't want to promote a competitive raiding environment? Bzzzzzt, wrong. EA wants SWTOR to do everything WoW does, just better. They're already talking about endgame raids, the eternity vault or whatever.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13429 on: November 22, 2011, 10:47:02 AM

Unfortunately EA have been completely up front in stating that they feel the need to pander to raiders.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #13430 on: November 22, 2011, 10:47:23 AM

From a business design perspective, I'd say they are probably smart to avoid that completely. There is a game that will always beat you out there right now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #13431 on: November 22, 2011, 10:51:18 AM

You can see buffs/debuffs in a group (although it also shows long-duration ones), but not in a raid.

The buff/debuff icons also happen to be about 10x10 pixels and the darkening clock-tick effect that shows how long they have remaining tends to make them indistinguishable.

Any raid or flashpoint encounters that require rapid debuff cleansing will be a world of hurt with how hard it is to rapidly target someone and fire off an ability.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #13432 on: November 22, 2011, 10:56:57 AM

I feel allowing mods is a good idea, since it allows you to leverage the expertise of millions of players. But if you take a hard-line stance against mods, you need to present a kick-ass default UI.

This should keep the thread going for another few pages.  

I hate mods.  I prefer that players adapt to the UI.  MMO's have gotten too easy with mods and macros.  As someone that enjoys pvp, I like to know that it was me that beat the opponent, not my UI tweaks and macros.  The more level the playing field, the easier it is to separate ability levels.

Same here.

Ditto.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13433 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:38 AM

I'm all for mods as long as the developer is on top of them. Ala Blizzard getting rid of game breaking ones. I love my mods, but most of the ones I use for just for layout and customization. Stuff like improved nameplates, and movable UI elements.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13434 on: November 22, 2011, 10:59:52 AM

From a business design perspective, I'd say they are probably smart to avoid that completely. There is a game that will always beat you out there right now.
So from a business perspective, you think they would be wise to avoid fostering a competitive raid environment? Can you name a successful diku MMO that doesn't include endgame raids? What do you propose as the PvE endgame to take the place of raiding?

I would love to play a diku MMO with a truly different endgame. I think it's very possible, and I think someone will do it, eventually. But is EA going to stick their necks out on SWTOR? Hell no.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13435 on: November 22, 2011, 11:00:20 AM

I don't think anyone objects to the level playing field argument, they just object to the "shitty UI just means you need to learn to love it" aspect.

If the UI is badass, I don't care if I can't mod it much. If the UI is complete shit, I'd prefer it to either be made better, or made modable. See the Skyrim thread for "dear god people learn to make a fucking UI"
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #13436 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:04 AM

I just want a goddamn UI scale option with the ability to move UI elements around. The UI was very obviously designed for a widescreen monitor with lots of screen real estate, so those of us still stuck in the land of 4:3 have a UI that takes up way too much room.

We don't want your kind around these parts, move along stranger.

- Viin
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #13437 on: November 22, 2011, 11:02:46 AM

Right. They either need to commit the resources to producing a truly mature and feature-rich default UI or allow users to build addons. Ideally both, like Rift.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13438 on: November 22, 2011, 11:03:50 AM

I'm all for mods as long as the developer is on top of them. Ala Blizzard getting rid of game breaking ones. I love my mods, but most of the ones I use for just for layout and customization. Stuff like improved nameplates, and movable UI elements.

Moreover, Blizzard has been taking the core/required mods and making them part of the base UI for a while now. They want a level playing field as much as anyone else, it makes development easier. They're just not trying to keep the UI shitty. They accept that some changes are improvements, and copy them into the base UI.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #13439 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05:21 AM

If Skyrim has taught me anything it's that  game needs to be REALLY fucking good to overcome a shit UI and even then it's still a huge black mark on something otherwise fun.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: