Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:03:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136840 times)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12355 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:56 AM

0/10

-Rasix
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #12356 on: November 07, 2011, 09:45:59 AM

Too many sad Star Wars fanboys falling all over themselves to see who can white knight the hardest.

Someone makes the point that Trooper and BH are functionally equivalent and it spawns pages of "HOW DARE YOU!?!?!" The official forums look downright reasonable by comparison. People accept and acknowledge that the classes are mirrors and just move on.

I'm not sure why a technical point about the design of the game is somehow contentious. Sure, you can claim that looking different and having a different story makes two functionally equivalent classes distinct, but that doesn't make the two classes functionally distinct or change the fact that 4 functionally distinct classes is a low number.

Again that doesn't mean that the game is bad. But the SWTOR fans here absolutely refuse to accept any criticism or even "criticism" in the form of completely factual statements. Apparently anything other than "THIS GAME IS THE BEST EVER OMG!!!!!" is not allowed.

But you know - Star Wars fans.  awesome, for real

You know you get a lightsaber right?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12357 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:00 AM

Too many sad Star Wars fanboys falling all over themselves to see who can white knight the hardest.

Someone makes the point that Trooper and BH are functionally equivalent and it spawns pages of "HOW DARE YOU!?!?!" The official forums look downright reasonable by comparison. People accept and acknowledge that the classes are mirrors and just move on.

I'm not sure why a technical point about the design of the game is somehow contentious. Sure, you can claim that looking different and having a different story makes two functionally equivalent classes distinct, but that doesn't make the two classes functionally distinct or change the fact that 4 functionally distinct classes is a low number.

Again that doesn't mean that the game is bad. But the SWTOR fans here absolutely refuse to accept any criticism or even "criticism" in the form of completely factual statements. Apparently anything other than "THIS GAME IS THE BEST EVER OMG!!!!!" is not allowed.

I'm assuming that was pointed at me mostly, and so allow me to retort:

I'm fine with criticism. When it's valid. Claims of, "OMG! They're mechanically the same, therefore I don't want to play the same game twice!" are bullshit unless you're playing the classes in a vacuum devoid of storylines or any other trappings of any other sort of flavoring.

Shorter me: If you're gonna bitch about the game, bitch about something legit, here's two; the small variety of races to choose from, or the linearity of space combat. Go fucking nuts.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #12358 on: November 07, 2011, 10:19:18 AM

I'm assuming that was pointed at me mostly, and so allow me to retort:

I'm fine with criticism. When it's valid. Claims of, "OMG! They're mechanically the same, therefore I don't want to play the same game twice!" are bullshit unless you're playing the classes in a vacuum devoid of storylines or any other trappings of any other sort of flavoring.

Shorter me: If you're gonna bitch about the game, bitch about something legit, here's two; the small variety of races to choose from, or the linearity of space combat. Go fucking nuts.

I think everyone knows my feelings on NOT having a certain race to play and would rather not bitch anymore about it. And what is this space combat you speak of? I must read more into that now... hope they included photon torpedos and pulsar cannons!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12359 on: November 07, 2011, 10:27:03 AM

I think everyone knows my feelings on NOT having a certain race to play and would rather not bitch anymore about it.

They probably do, but that beef was and still is a hell of a lot more significant than, "I'm not gonna play a trooper because it's a re-skinned bounty hunter," even though the storylines and other trappings are completely different.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12360 on: November 07, 2011, 10:31:45 AM

I was serious.  What part of a game sequel where it's the same game mechanically but with a different wrapper & story is it that makes you think that SWTORs sith/republic split isn't actually a meaningfully different experience?  You are so focused on this mechanical detail that you are missing the forest for the trees.  By your logic no one should have played Mass Effect 2 because it's the same game as Mass Effect with the same classes, just some different skins and some different dialogue.

Also, if you aren't just trolling explain the 8, no wait it's actually 7, classes thing.  Cause, i don't get it.

People are giving you legitimate arguments but you're so filled with angst that we don't agree with you that you've turned into internet rage nerd.  But, you know?  Internets  why so serious?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12361 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:57 AM

That they are mechanically the same is a fact and if that dissuades someone from wanting to play both of them despite story differences that is entirely subjective and up to that person.

It's really not possible for what someone genuinely finds fun or not fun to be wrong, invalid or bullshit. Personally I don't give a shit about number of playable races. I'm not going to say complaints about it are invalid though just because I don't care - obviously some people do.

You seem completely trapped in your own perspective. To me number of distinct classes is very important because I tend to be choosy about that sort of thing. Number of distinct races is almost entirely irrelevant and honestly I have no idea which races are playable beyond human. But that's my perspective. I'm not going to demand that everyone agree and that those who don't are spouting BS.

Quote from: Murgos
What part of a game sequel where it's the same game mechanically but with a different wrapper & story is it that makes you think that SWTORs sith/republic split isn't actually a meaningfully different experience?

We aren't talking about sequels but personally I prefer sequels with some mechanical variation from the original. Don't people tend to bitch when too many sequels are the same game with a different coat of paint? But really comparing game sequels to MMO classes is apples and oranges and obfuscates rather than enlightens.

Whether or not story and visual differences are "meaningful" or meaningful enough for someone to play both sides is entirely subjective. To me it depends on how good the story ends up being, but all things equal I'd much rather replay as a mechanically different class so I can get both different mechanics and a different story.

Also, if you aren't just trolling explain the 8, no wait it's actually 7, classes thing.  Cause, i don't get it.

I wasn't aware that all 4 classes on each side were mirrored, from the discussion I thought it was just BH/Trooper.

How is there even an argument here? There are 4 mechanically distinct classes - that's a low number. Whether or not that's too low or just right or whether or not story differences make up for that is purely opinion but you guys seem to think that opinions that differ from your own just aren't acceptable.

Different people enjoy different things. Controversy!

Personally I'm not concerned with replaying the same class because starting over from scratch is not something I do in MMOs. However I am pretty picky about the kinds of classes I like to play and 4 is getting into "I might not enjoy any of these" territory.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 10:55:37 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12362 on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:04 AM

I think the thread you're imagining you're reading may be more interesting than the one we have.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12363 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:57 AM

How is there even an argument here? There are 4 mechanically distinct classes - that's a low number. Whether or not that's too low or just right or whether or not story differences make up for that is purely opinion but you guys seem to think that opinions that differ from your own just aren't acceptable.

Depending on BW's stance on allowing AC switching via respecs or whatever, it may end up feeling more like 8 mechanically distinct classes since the ACs do seem to play differently from each other. Looking at the information available so far, playing as a Sage/Sorcerer should be quite different that playing as a Shadow/Assassin for example.

I'm beginning to think it would have been much better if BW hadn't gone with the class/advanced class route and just made the ACs into 8 base classes that we could choose at character creation.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12364 on: November 07, 2011, 11:12:36 AM

It's really not possible for what someone genuinely finds fun or not fun to be wrong, invalid or bullshit.
It's not whether you find "4 classes" fun or not people are calling bullshit on. It's the information you're basing it on, which is either third-hand bullshit or covered by NDA.

But let's entertain your viewpoint a bit longer. Link to NDA-cleared information from someone playing the current build on both sides of the "same class" to 50 that shows in detail exactly how the classes (all 4 ACs of the Trooper/BH, for instance) are mechanically the same.
I'm beginning to think it would have been much better if BW hadn't gone with the class/advanced class route and just made the ACs into 8 base classes that we could choose at character creation.
From an overhead/story perspective, 4 classes per faction makes sense. It's the best compromise of story and class flexibility, from a pre-Rift design standpoint.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:16:57 AM by Sky »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12365 on: November 07, 2011, 11:14:15 AM

Well the only other current space themed mmo is eve.

Eve only has one class : Eve guy.

So hey, that is a thing.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12366 on: November 07, 2011, 11:17:31 AM

I think the main reason this didn't happen is it would have added another 2-3 years and another 50 mil or so to the games development.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12367 on: November 07, 2011, 11:19:16 AM

What? I don't even...

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12368 on: November 07, 2011, 11:22:26 AM

It's really not possible for what someone genuinely finds fun or not fun to be wrong, invalid or bullshit.
It's not whether you find "4 classes" fun or not people are calling bullshit on. It's the information you're basing it on, which is either third-hand bullshit or covered by NDA.

But let's entertain your viewpoint a bit longer. Link to NDA-cleared information from someone playing the current build on both sides of the "same class" to 50 that shows in detail exactly how the classes (all 4 ACs of the Trooper/BH, for instance) are mechanically the same.

You don't need an NDA lift to know that Smuggler's get a nut kick and Imperial Agent's don't.  They may have an ability that has the same effect, but it's not a complete copy.  This also goes for things like the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch or the ability where they fly up into the air and unleash a bunch of missles, the Trooper can't do that but they have some other ability that does the same damage.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12369 on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:25 AM

What? I don't even...

If they made all AC's separate, instead of putting two AC's together under one base they would have had to work in 8 more stories.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12370 on: November 07, 2011, 11:27:37 AM

Who says they would have had to add 8 more stories?

Or that 8 more stories costs 50 million for that matter?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12371 on: November 07, 2011, 11:31:05 AM

Who says they would have had to add 8 more stories?

Or that 8 more stories costs 50 million for that matter?

If they didn't add 8 more stories than there is no reason to separate them from the way they are now. 

I don't know if it would cost 50 mil, I was just making a sarcastic remark on how much money has been sunk into the game.  Although if they did do 8 more stories that's basically doubling their VO.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12372 on: November 07, 2011, 11:34:00 AM

Doubling the VO, doubling the class story arcs for writers, doubling the load of QA on story arcs.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12373 on: November 07, 2011, 11:36:32 AM

How is it doubling the VO budget when a large majority of quests are not class specific?

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12374 on: November 07, 2011, 12:02:05 PM

From James Ohlen on Twitter:  We’ve announced all of the races. Twi’lek, Zabrak, Chiss, Mirialan, Miraluka, Sith, Rattataki, Human and Cyborg.

So after everyone knowing for months, Cyborg is officially announced as a race.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12375 on: November 07, 2011, 12:04:00 PM

How is it doubling the VO budget when a large majority of quests are not class specific?
For the stories. Possibly hiring on double the player voice actors, or at least doubling the story work for the existing actors. Either way, lots more time and money; or compromise as they've done. And really, it works fine. It's not a huge deal if they leave it as is, it wouldn't bug me if they changed it. Infinitesimal issue imo.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12376 on: November 07, 2011, 12:13:26 PM

For the stories. Possibly hiring on double the player voice actors, or at least doubling the story work for the existing actors. Either way, lots more time and money; or compromise as they've done. And really, it works fine. It's not a huge deal if they leave it as is, it wouldn't bug me if they changed it. Infinitesimal issue imo.

You need at least 7 voice actors just for each class: male, female, and 5 companions.  Then you have to retool every quest where they mention your character. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12377 on: November 07, 2011, 12:17:11 PM

Yes it would be impossible for classes to share actors. As you know, it is unheard of for VO actors to perform multiple roles. Or they could share companions for that matter.

Bioware could have done whatever they damn well liked with the VO.

I don't have any problem with the current approach mind you.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12378 on: November 07, 2011, 12:24:12 PM

Didn't EQ2 start with a 3-tiered system of classes / more advanced classes and eventually switch towards having you just pick at the start?

There were a number of problems with the original approach. One was that it was just opaque unless you read a lot of out-of-game stuff. A second was that the starter class and the advanced class were often pretty different and as you moved up the tree you were suffering through a class you didn't particularly like to get to one you did. A third was that it was hard to tell whether or not you would enjoy your chosen path until you were far along - this is true to some extent in all games where your endgame role can be pretty different from the journey but it was especially pronounced.

If the advanced class is significantly different from the base you have a lot of issues.

Reading the SWTOR stuff on advanced classes it's not really clear how distinct they are. They sound more like two variations on theme than really distinct classes but it's pretty hard to tell with the wording and naming and such. I do think it's interesting that EQ2 basically started with the same approach and then dropped it.

Quote from: Evilrider
If they didn't add 8 more stories than there is no reason to separate them from the way they are now. 

I disagree and I think most people agree that the EQ2 evolution away from advanced classes was good for a variety of non-story reasons.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:26:47 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12379 on: November 07, 2011, 12:27:36 PM

They seem pretty distinct. Take consular for example - one side has tank/stealther/melee dps options, the other side is ranged dps or healing. Those aren't really going to play the same.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12380 on: November 07, 2011, 12:37:52 PM

The consular's advanced classes are fairly distinct, I'm not sure the others are to the same extent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12381 on: November 07, 2011, 12:44:45 PM

The EQ system wasn't that difficult.

After starting with 'fighter' I don't think anyone was shocked that they could then select Monk but not Illusionist or whatever.

But it did make the first ten levels bland and uninteresting, and severely limited the number of abilities the game could hand out in those levels.

Terracotta Army

Reply #12382 on: November 07, 2011, 12:46:08 PM

From James Ohlen on Twitter:  We’ve announced all of the races. Twi’lek, Zabrak, Chiss, Mirialan, Miraluka, Sith, Rattataki, Human and Cyborg.

So after everyone knowing for months, Cyborg is officially announced as a race.

Well that is that then. I will have a sorta-droid... now onto the strung out part of the master plan.

Well the only other current space themed mmo is eve.

Eve only has one class : Eve guy.

So hey, that is a thing.

And STO, while not fantastic rainbow sauce awesome, would like to see you in room 3.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12383 on: November 07, 2011, 12:50:37 PM

The SWTOR advanced classes mostly just seem to decide if you want access to a tank or healer tree.

They've intentionally avoided the variety of roles you see in something like EQ, so I suspect class matters less than usual anyway.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12384 on: November 07, 2011, 12:52:07 PM

And STO, while not fantastic rainbow sauce awesome, would like to see you in room 3.

You should calculate how many 'classes' there are in STO and then tell someone other than me because this is somehow important.

Terracotta Army

Reply #12385 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:45 PM

You should calculate how many 'classes' there are in STO and then tell someone other than me because this is somehow important.

You said space themed MMO. Just supplying the fodder.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12386 on: November 07, 2011, 01:30:26 PM

You don't need an NDA lift to know that Smuggler's get a nut kick and Imperial Agent's don't.  They may have an ability that has the same effect, but it's not a complete copy.  This also goes for things like the Bounty Hunter's Rocket Punch or the ability where they fly up into the air and unleash a bunch of missles, the Trooper can't do that but they have some other ability that does the same damage.

StockStrike is the Troopers equivalent to Rocket Punch. They have the same range, damage, resource costs and talents that change their behavior. You also use them in the same way. Both abilities have been shown in official class videos and stuff so we should be okay on NDA.

Visually they are very different, mechanically they are the same spell.

All the classes are mirrored like this, from abilities to talent trees.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #12387 on: November 07, 2011, 01:54:55 PM

I'm going to be That Guy and say this is a good thing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12388 on: November 07, 2011, 01:58:38 PM

How do you get 7? It is either 8 or 4, depending on your feelings about cosmetically-different-but-equivalent-analogues, or ACs-as-classes vs. ACs-as-specs.

It's called trolling.  When you can't accept, 'Looks different and has a different story' as enough of a difference to be different (which defines any sequel game ever made) and you arbitrarily remove one class with no explanation you aren't contributing you are fishing for reactions.

I'll play too and go the other way.  Since each AC has two unique trees you can fully spec into and 1 shared tree also with a full set of skills I say that there is 8 * 2 + 4 = 20 classes.

What do different looks and different quests have to do with being a different class?  Abilities are what determine class, if they have the same abilities they are not a different class.

I am the .00000001428%
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12389 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:39 PM

I'm going to be That Guy and say this is a good thing.

My god, yes.  After the clusterfuck of DAOC's "This class is uber, but this mirror is gimped because we wanted to mix things up" how anyone can argue differently is beyond me.

It avoids the "Both sides have the same classes so must look the same" thing while mirroring the important mechanical bits.

Margalis had a hard-on for FF11 for years and a raging hatred of WOW since beta, so what he wants is vastly different from the folks targeting this game.  He's as easy to ignore as folks going in to Eve threads and trolling "LOLZ SPREADSHETZ IN SPACE!"  While factually concrete it ignores that - hey - some people want that.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: