Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:22:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2136873 times)
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #12320 on: November 05, 2011, 03:44:12 AM

I'm just dealing with the premise that they're "the same", not agreeing that that is in fact true.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #12321 on: November 05, 2011, 04:38:03 AM

Or, you can enjoy the goddamn story and turn off the min/maxer part of your brain and just play.

Which of course leads to something like final fantasy 13 where a pretty movie laid thickly over dull mechanics makes for a bad game.

The mechanics part are the game, the story is at best flavor.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12322 on: November 05, 2011, 05:02:55 AM

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #12323 on: November 05, 2011, 07:57:57 AM

Player housing?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12324 on: November 05, 2011, 08:14:55 AM

Your own starship? 

I hope down the road they make space travel more open. I wanna smuggle the hell outta some shit.  I'm one of 'those' people who want to actually fly to destinations.  I'm on a bird to Undercity as I type this.  Irony? I haz it.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12325 on: November 05, 2011, 08:23:13 AM

I doubt space travel will get anymore elaborate than what it is now until one or two expansions get put out, and even then, unless they replicate, say, E&B's method of moving around in space, it'll be silly.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12326 on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:19 AM

I hope down the road they make space travel more open. I wanna smuggle the hell outta some shit.  I'm one of 'those' people who want to actually fly to destinations.  I'm on a bird to Undercity as I type this.  Irony? I haz it.

If you want to spend endless amounts of time flying in space CCP already has THE game for you.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12327 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:02 AM

E&B? Eve?

It's called Jump to Lightspeed, folks.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #12328 on: November 05, 2011, 10:36:49 AM

By the time I had a machine that could run JtL, SWG had already gone full twitch mode.

Was it really like the old SW flying games, but better?

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #12329 on: November 05, 2011, 11:17:35 AM

By the time I had a machine that could run JtL, SWG had already gone full twitch mode.

Was it really like the old SW flying games, but better?

No - but it wasn't bad.

The controls weren't quite as responsive from what I remember and it wasn't quite as involving but being able to customise your ship was good and I always enjoyed the loot game aspect of finding decent gear to Reverse Engineer.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12330 on: November 05, 2011, 11:41:02 AM

E&B? Eve?

It's called Jump to Lightspeed, folks.

Remind me the last time BioWare made a flight sim game.. why so serious?

I'm not saying they won't do it, nor not possible, but I think making the space experience greater than it's being presented now is on the same schedule as player housing and the dance customization features are coming to WoW.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12331 on: November 05, 2011, 12:07:59 PM

What is E&B?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12332 on: November 05, 2011, 12:10:18 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12333 on: November 05, 2011, 12:18:05 PM

Ahh, thanks.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12334 on: November 05, 2011, 12:20:51 PM

Ahh, thanks.

Aye, had some good times with that game.  It was the casual player's EVE/Jumpgate back in the day.  Unfortunately Westwood fell into the same pitfalls that many MMO devs did back in those pre-hindsight days.  EA certainly didn't help matters, and that's why everyone screams bloody mary whenever EA says they're gonna put out a MMO (see Warhammer Online or the first few pages of this thread for samples.)

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12335 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:13 PM

Earth and Beyond was really cool in a number of ways. Unfortunately it was also really bad in a number of ways, including everything you did off your ship, the way you got missions and the missions themselves. But flying your craft around space was awesome. It really captured the feel of just being out in a ship I thought.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12336 on: November 05, 2011, 02:56:58 PM

I enjoyed the space part as well.  Wasn't a bad game, but I was kind of bored.  I remember when I tried to cancel, some nice Indian woman offered to put me in some uber cruiser to stay subbed.  But I was done. 

Just glad SWTOR has space combat of some kind.  I do wish for ship customization, but they can't put everything in at launch.  I hope you can at least change ship weapon loadouts.  That would be boss.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #12337 on: November 05, 2011, 05:41:43 PM

I wanna smuggle the hell outta some shit. 

So there is smuggling after all?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12338 on: November 05, 2011, 05:56:20 PM

I was just kidding around, although I'd say the smuggler storyline has some smuggling in it.  I hope.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #12339 on: November 05, 2011, 07:01:33 PM

Yup. If you want to have the two ACs of the same class you have to play through the "same" experience.

You can play the two AC's on opposite sides and experience two totally different stories.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #12340 on: November 05, 2011, 09:06:23 PM

Yup. If you want to have the two ACs of the same class you have to play through the "same" experience.

You can play the two AC's on opposite sides and experience two totally different stories.

Or you can play one light side and the other dark side and there will still be changes.  Besides the class story quests aren't 100% of the quests anyway.  Any class you roll on one side still has alot of quests that are for everyone.
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #12341 on: November 06, 2011, 09:07:23 AM

I was just kidding around, although I'd say the smuggler storyline has some smuggling in it.  I hope.

I return to my sad corner.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #12342 on: November 06, 2011, 09:10:10 AM

I return to my sad corner.

If there are drugs/drink in this game that have effects on your character, I'll be calling you. I so want to RP a drug addicted character now... would have been better as a droid, but meh - I can do a lot with an agent or Sith.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12343 on: November 06, 2011, 11:34:31 AM

You want to buy some deathsticks?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12344 on: November 06, 2011, 12:14:39 PM

You want to buy some deathsticks?

/jedi_mind_trick

You don't want to sell me any deathsticks.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #12345 on: November 06, 2011, 01:08:18 PM

Deathsticks.  That's just poor marketing.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12346 on: November 06, 2011, 01:11:22 PM

Should be happysticks.  That could imply something completely different though.

I am the .00000001428%
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12347 on: November 06, 2011, 10:43:49 PM

Or, you can enjoy the goddamn story and turn off the min/maxer part of your brain and just play.

Which of course leads to something like final fantasy 13 where a pretty movie laid thickly over dull mechanics makes for a bad game.

The mechanics part are the game, the story is at best flavor.

No, the mechanics are fine. And that's not what the bitching was about. The bitching was, "OMG, the BH and the Trooper are the same, only on opposite sides of the spectrum", to which I said, "fuck that, and play the goddamn game."

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12348 on: November 07, 2011, 12:11:13 AM

Seems like that logic could apply to literally any possible complaint. The game only runs in 1024 x 768 and has only one class with two abilities.

"Fuck that, and play the goddamn game."

The game has 8 classes, or actually 7, which is a pretty low number. That doesn't make it wretched excrement but it seems like a perfectly valid thing to point out. Seven classes is certainly on the low end.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12349 on: November 07, 2011, 01:17:40 AM

Seems like that logic could apply to literally any possible complaint. The game only runs in 1024 x 768 and has only one class with two abilities.

"Fuck that, and play the goddamn game."

The game has 8 classes, or actually 7, which is a pretty low number. That doesn't make it wretched excrement but it seems like a perfectly valid thing to point out. Seven classes is certainly on the low end.

How do you get 7? It is either 8 or 4, depending on your feelings about cosmetically-different-but-equivalent-analogues, or ACs-as-classes vs. ACs-as-specs.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #12350 on: November 07, 2011, 04:47:14 AM

How do you get 7? It is either 8 or 4, depending on your feelings about cosmetically-different-but-equivalent-analogues, or ACs-as-classes vs. ACs-as-specs.

It's called trolling.  When you can't accept, 'Looks different and has a different story' as enough of a difference to be different (which defines any sequel game ever made) and you arbitrarily remove one class with no explanation you aren't contributing you are fishing for reactions.

I'll play too and go the other way.  Since each AC has two unique trees you can fully spec into and 1 shared tree also with a full set of skills I say that there is 8 * 2 + 4 = 20 classes.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12351 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:11 AM

Some people seem hell-bent on not enjoying this game. Kinda funny, imo.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12352 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:06 AM

You saw the same thing when WoW first released, if you recall.  That alone gives me great hopes for the game.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #12353 on: November 07, 2011, 09:16:53 AM

This thread has mostly lost its joie de vivre since page 300.

cry

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12354 on: November 07, 2011, 09:34:20 AM

Too many sad Star Wars fanboys falling all over themselves to see who can white knight the hardest.

Someone makes the point that Trooper and BH are functionally equivalent and it spawns pages of "HOW DARE YOU!?!?!" The official forums look downright reasonable by comparison. People accept and acknowledge that the classes are mirrors and just move on.

I'm not sure why a technical point about the design of the game is somehow contentious. Sure, you can claim that looking different and having a different story makes two functionally equivalent classes distinct, but that doesn't make the two classes functionally distinct or change the fact that 4 functionally distinct classes is a low number.

Again that doesn't mean that the game is bad. But the SWTOR fans here absolutely refuse to accept any criticism or even "criticism" in the form of completely factual statements. Apparently anything other than "THIS GAME IS THE BEST EVER OMG!!!!!" is not allowed.

But you know - Star Wars fans.  awesome, for real
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:40:51 AM by Margalis »

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: