Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AOC- PvP Info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AOC- PvP Info  (Read 67300 times)
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: April 24, 2008, 12:38:43 PM

Don't bother with fileplanet unless you just want to download early. Everybody who ever applied will be getting into the open beta.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #141 on: April 24, 2008, 12:44:50 PM

i am just having a hard time accepting that the game is broken.

Yeah, because no one has release a boring buggy unfinished or downright crappy online game before have they?
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: April 24, 2008, 01:03:41 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: April 24, 2008, 05:21:05 PM

And UO and EQ1  awesome, for real

There's two different versions of AoC people are talking about: PvP weekend and NDA. I suspect that the former suffers the usual problem of having hundreds of different PC configurations banging on a single server trying to make sense of it all, while running an older client. That "older client" element is not unbelievable, as they have done that in the past when they have conducted focused tests.

Also, Morphiend, is it possible the Vista Aero UI was messing you up? I've read a few accounts of people discovering that it isn't so much that Vista is crashing them as much as it is the Aero UI that is the cause. Most use a different desktop configuration and otherwise find Vista to work fine.

Also, just what the hell are you doing with all that RAM?!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? (and yea, I know, in about three years, 6gb is going to be the 2gb of this year and the 2mb when I bought my Mac SE wink)
grunk
Terracotta Army

This poster is a gibbering retard. Also, he used to post from a rehab clinic.

Reply #144 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:27 PM

i am just having a hard time accepting that the game is broken.

Yeah, because no one has release a boring buggy unfinished or downright crappy online game before have they?

and they say im "fucken" negative... and wtf, i liked EnB, how can you go wrong with eq in space god damn it!!!? also it was the only game that i could watch a pr0n and level up in at teh same time!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 05:34:07 PM by grunk »
grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: April 24, 2008, 05:32:22 PM

Become one with the fail.

dont let me catch you stealin mah shiznick!

YOULIKETHAT!?
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: April 24, 2008, 06:02:01 PM

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: April 24, 2008, 07:20:35 PM

There's two different versions of AoC people are talking about: PvP weekend and NDA.
People talking about the  NDA shouldn't be saying a damn thing about it.  I'm only asking on the PvP weekend.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #148 on: April 24, 2008, 09:13:38 PM

Maybe we're just engaging in semantic quibbling...

I think you're correct here.  It takes longer and is potentially a LOT more annoying to level on a PvP server.  In that sense, it is indeed more difficult.  I guess my point was that none of this makes it an accomplishment.  The only goal in games is to have fun... they aren't built to accomplish anything unless your goal is to supplement your income with gold sales. 
i knew i shd've green text'ed that reply.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? I did 60 on PVP once and felt really bitter. The only way to wash the taste off is to gank some stranglethorners again. Did the Rhok'Delar quest in PVP? Tough luck, I'm quite tired of it. I could kill the horde but some alliance guy got a shot in and de-spawned it. Telling me I 'ninja'ed' him. I decided to take a long break and re-evaluate the value of open PVP in WoW after the customer service couldn't sufficiently explain why such game mechanics are even in game when it's obvious some random dude in my OWN faction could grief me without repercussions.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:49 PM

Maybe we're just engaging in semantic quibbling...

I think you're correct here.  It takes longer and is potentially a LOT more annoying to level on a PvP server.  In that sense, it is indeed more difficult.  I guess my point was that none of this makes it an accomplishment.  The only goal in games is to have fun... they aren't built to accomplish anything unless your goal is to supplement your income with gold sales. 
i knew i shd've green text'ed that reply.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? I did 60 on PVP once and felt really bitter. The only way to wash the taste off is to gank some stranglethorners again.

How many hours did I spend stealthed at Hemet Nesingwary's camp?  Ah, the beautiful, corpse-filled memories....

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #150 on: April 24, 2008, 09:32:04 PM

afk shadowmeld + shadowcat on aggressive stance pet = lulz.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
grunk
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: April 25, 2008, 05:37:39 AM

The thing is this. I dont care about someone who "maybe" in beta, or poses as such.

You can goto betaleaks.com and get all the info and nothing that i read from known testers would say that this game is in such bad shape.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: April 25, 2008, 05:50:29 AM

That's why I commented the way I did. If people want to know what's going on, the info is out there. If they only hear about what's "allowed" to be public, they're going to get an (unfortunate-for-Funcom) skewed impression of the game. I'm not here to be their shill of course. I just get disappointed when the actual state of the game is not being conveyed accurately during those rare occasions when it's actually better than what is being presented as public impressions.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #153 on: April 25, 2008, 06:07:34 AM

It must be a good game because their PR people are only allowing good things to be said about it. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Me am play gods"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #154 on: April 25, 2008, 07:33:33 AM

The thing is this. I dont care about someone who "maybe" in beta, or poses as such.

You can goto betaleaks.com and get all the info and nothing that i read from known testers would say that this game is in such bad shape.
Then go there. We tend to care more about what our folks think about stuff.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: April 25, 2008, 07:34:24 AM

My god. Return of the Grunk.

Will you sign your posts with your level in AoC please? I think that would be more fitting.

Man, I'm so glad I'm home when all the crazy is about to unleash.   awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #156 on: April 25, 2008, 08:53:11 AM

Also, Morphiend, is it possible the Vista Aero UI was messing you up? I've read a few accounts of people discovering that it isn't so much that Vista is crashing them as much as it is the Aero UI that is the cause. Most use a different desktop configuration and otherwise find Vista to work fine.

Also, just what the hell are you doing with all that RAM?!

I have XP Pro and 2gb RAM. This you got me confused with the other person who posted their specs.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: April 25, 2008, 08:59:43 AM

Mm, it's possible it was Aero.  I didn't think to try disabling it, though honestly, I don't think I should have to if the game is supposed to run on Vista.  As for my 6 GB of ram, I had 2 from an older computer that I decommissioned, then I bought 4 more, mostly because I could afford 4 instead of 2.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #158 on: April 25, 2008, 09:48:33 AM

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: April 25, 2008, 11:47:47 AM

Mm, it's possible it was Aero.  I didn't think to try disabling it, though honestly, I don't think I should have to if the game is supposed to run on Vista.  As for my 6 GB of ram, I had 2 from an older computer that I decommissioned, then I bought 4 more, mostly because I could afford 4 instead of 2.
Anything can be forgiven for having troubles with Vista.  There's a reason Microsoft may be relenting and letting XP survive.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #160 on: April 25, 2008, 02:09:53 PM

Anything can be forgiven for having troubles with Vista.  There's a reason Microsoft may be relenting and letting XP survive.

But Ballmer was adamant that most people who buy PCs today buy them with XP's successor, Vista.

"That's the statistical truth," he told reporters at a news conference at Louvain-La-Neuve University.

The. Fuck? People get PCs with VISTA now because the manufacturers are installing it that way. It's not like the average user gets much choice nowadays.

They just get their new laptop, power it on and wonder why Windows looks different, and why their new computer is running like a snail on valium.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #161 on: April 25, 2008, 05:13:28 PM

Not to mention that Microsoft made deals with Dell and other manufacturers to explictly omit Windows XP as an OS choice.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: April 26, 2008, 06:32:23 AM

The thing that really irks me about preinstalled OS's is that I recently helped my father order a Dell laptop...they would configure it with 4GB of memory but they wouldn't put Vista 64 on it, essentially rendering what, a little over a half-gig useless, since 32-bit only recognizes a little less than 3.5.  I had to reformat and reinstall, plus the bastards didn't include 64 bit drivers on their driver DVD, so I was left scouring the net for them.

But this is going way off topic.  Me, I don't forgive anything for not designing for Vista these days considering it came out 2 years ago, especially a DX10 game.  To me, if you're not gonna design for the current Windows, make things for a fucking Mac or something.

If they really do have another client that's working much better, maybe I'll wind up buying the game after a month or two, but if that IS true, using anything less than their best working client for my first hands-on experience with the game cost them, because I've already disinclined several other people I know from buying it because of my poor experience.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #163 on: April 26, 2008, 06:40:42 AM

I think the point was they ARE designing for Vista, but the 32b version, not the 64b one.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: April 26, 2008, 06:47:08 AM

Uh, my point was they can try to design for it, but if the base OS is crap, there is only so much they can do.  They can't patch Vista to make it run better.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #165 on: April 26, 2008, 10:44:43 AM

Uh, my point was they can try to design for it, but if the base OS is crap, there is only so much they can do.  They can't patch Vista to make it run better.

Red Panda is feisty today.

I approve.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: April 26, 2008, 05:06:56 PM

Ah, yea, it was you, not Morfiend. And no, you shouldn't have to disable Aero. But then, you went into Vista with both eyes open, didntya?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I have a copy of Vista Home Premium sitting on my desk. It's my "I've finally arrived" install, the moment when I have no active games and no prospects at least for a solid week when I wipe the drive, install, learn2hate it and then wipe and put back on XP Pro.

I don't suspect that moment will be coming. I may just frame the thing and wait for the next OS. MS keeps saying "June", but I so very much doubt they'll keep to that. And Lantyssa's link substantiates that. Worst part is they really don't need to stop releasing XP boxes because the part I do agree with them on is the target audience for XP: IT and geeks like us who want to maximize gaming PCs at a time when consoles get all the market attention and a good chunk of the revenue. We're not a huge audience, but nor are we blinding buy PCs from Best Buy with this whacky black-ish UI on it and why do I keep getting barked at by my computer?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #167 on: April 27, 2008, 05:52:34 AM

I did the whole Vista thing the last time I needed to reinstall, don't bother. To me the biggest thing was the 64 bit. The drivers and compatibility just aren't there. I"m pretty convinced they won't be until they just stop producing a 32bit version.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:37 AM

Don't bother with fileplanet unless you just want to download early. Everybody who ever applied will be getting into the open beta.
Does anybody have any info on this? They seem to be talking solely about fileplanet subscribers so far and we are only 22 days away from launch.
The initial rampage on the beta keys has died down, any fileplanet subscriber can pick up a key here now.
I was hoping to check it out before launch but I'm not taking a fileplanet subscription for it.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: April 28, 2008, 03:57:33 AM

"Open beta" = Launch.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #170 on: April 28, 2008, 06:36:12 AM

I don't know.  The last I heard the 50K Fileplanet was the only open beta they'd be having.  That was last week.  I don't know where Sam heard that but he IS an eggplant, you know, and privy to all sorts of sekret information.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:13 AM

I wasn't aware that was sekret beta infoz... please ignore!

The stress test is under two weeks anyway, it's not like it's a big deal like the WoW beta.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:18:00 AM by sam, an eggplant »
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: April 28, 2008, 09:59:41 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #173 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:15 AM

NOOOOOOOOO!  NOT SAM!   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #174 on: April 28, 2008, 11:51:59 AM

YOU *nom* *nom* *nom* BASTARDS!

*dip* *dip* *nom*

WHYYYYYYYY *nom* *nom* SAM!?  WHY? *sob*

Can you pass the salt, please?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: AOC- PvP Info  
Jump to: