Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:37:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread  (Read 103610 times)
schild
Administrator

on: November 18, 2006, 03:46:32 AM

I picked up a PS3, surprise.

Go ahead, grill me. I'll have something up in about a week - like I did for the 360 and PSP.

Things I can say right off hand:

1. Haven't opened Ridge Racer 7 yet.

2. Weird stuff going on with Gundam. Think I got a bad press since the PS3 itself has been flawless with everything else. I might return it, which would sabotage some plans I had. Seriously, I don't mind owning games of any quality, but I mind when that game doesn't work right.

3. Genji and Resistance opinions will be saved for the review.

4. Blu-Ray is weird. I have a _good_ tv that maxes out at 1080i. I run everything on it in 720p though since the PS3 doesn't output 1080i. Well, the option is there, but the drivers must be fucked up or something. I'm sure it will be fixed.

5. The controller is pretty rad. I like it being light, I never gave two shits about rumble. But more on this later. The games that launched with the PS3 show how much the loss of rumble changes games - and how much I still don't care.

6. The download service. Heh. "Download service." What a cute thing to call it.

7. XMB (the PS3 GUI) is fucking awesome. I like it more than the other 2 (wii and 360). What failed on the PSP works amazingly well on the PS3. But uhhhhhhh, I guess that means I really have to explain #6 above.

8. My username on it is "schild."

9. PS3 homebrew. I'm sure at least one person is wondering about this after reading stories about removable harddrives and the "Install Other OS" button under settings (dead serious).

10. Worth $600? I honestly can't answer that until I finish a game and watch the 4 movies I picked up (including Talladega Nights, the packin). The other 3 being Fifth Element, Silent Hill, and A Knight's Tale.

I'll make one comment now on A Knight's Tale - Goddamn. The color depth on blu-ray is just fucking amazing. Also, you don't notice it until there's a blurry object in the foreground and the camera is focused on something further away - but hi-def movies are the fucking future. Given the stable of companies supporting blu-ray, I'm damn near tempted to trade in about 200-300 action dvds. Anyway, more later.

So, go ahead, if you want a quick opinion, I'll give it. If there's something you'd like me to check, I'll do that.

Only two rule: Don't ask me about 5.1 sound. You've seen the reports - optical does not play nice with HDMI. I'm using HDMI. The other rule - don't ask me to compare the available games to the games on the 360. The 360 has been out for a year. I'm not buying Call of Duty 3 or Sonic for both systems.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:54:31 AM

Is that universal across all games or just Sony stuff?

Also, you should have taken "TVCasualty" while you had the chance.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 05:56:55 AM

It's universal. You can make as many accounts as you want. I may take a handful of good names.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:07:38 AM

I picked up a PS3, surprise.

7. XMB (the PS3 GUI) is fucking awesome. I like it more than the other 2 (wii and 360). What failed on the PSP works amazingly well on the PS3. But uhhhhhhh, I guess that means I really have to explain #6 above.

I keep thinking "wow, it's like a huge PSP!"
I've noticed a few fun features about the XMB UI:
- It lets you rip CDs to a couple different formats (mp3, aac, etc)
- You can copy ripped CD audio to USB mass storage devices
- You can copy savegames to/from USB mass storage devices
- It only recognizes FAT formatted USB devices (Does not like NTFS)

I went with "Quinton" for some reason.

The usernames seem to be universal across all regions, but the language you have chosen when you create the account determines what version of the online store you see.  My "Zaphod" username was created on the jp ps3 before the us online service was ready -- it sees slightly different demo/trailer downloads, etc.

9. PS3 homebrew. I'm sure at least one person is wondering about this after reading stories about removable harddrives and the "Install Other OS" button under settings (dead serious).

Some homebrew babbling here:  http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=8668.0

I have FC5 installed on my PS3, though I haven't spent much time mucking around with it.  I'm a little bummed about the lack of RSX support (beyond framebuffer mode) at the moment.  I do plan on trying to get VLC running and seeing how this thing works for home theatre stuff (maybe replace the mac mini for video playback).

Only two rule: Don't ask me about 5.1 sound. You've seen the reports - optical does not play nice with HDMI. I'm using HDMI. The other rule - don't ask me to compare the available games to the games on the 360. The 360 has been out for a year. I'm not buying Call of Duty 3 or Sonic for both systems.

We used HDMI with a projector and optical 5.1 at the office last night.  The optical was a little cranky -- once after checking out some bluray stuff and then launching Resistance, we had no audio until we power cycled the PS3. 

Resistance is pretty damn fun with 4 players in split-screen mode.  4 way split screen on a nice 1080p projector is pretty awesome.  I'm not much of a FPS player, but enjoyed running around blasting my co-workers.

I've played a little of the single player Resistance and am reminded that 1. I am pretty awful at FPS and 2. I am even more awful at FPS using a ps3 controller.  I do love the controller though.

-Q
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 06:13:33 AM

Here's a question -- any luck with scaling on PS2 titles?

I was really hoping that PS3 would improve the way older titles look on the HDTV.  Component 480i/p into my 720p samsung DLP gives me stuff that just doesn't look so hot.  Sadly the PS3 does no internal upscaling so I remain that the mercy of the TV's scaler and 480p PS2 content on PS3 via HDMI actually seems to look a little *worse* than on component from the PS2.

I remain bummed that in some ways PS2 content looked better on my old 27" trinitron than on the (in all other ways) nicer DLP.

-Q
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 06:17:52 AM

As I've said, I'm running HDMI. Right now the PS3 doesn't do shit to PS2 titles. It's really a goddamn shame you can't go in and manually set the PS2 settings. Right now everything backwards runs at 480i. Oh, and it looks like it's run through a composite cable. My opinion on this sort of shit - if you can't do it right, don't do it at all (360 backwards compatibility, I'm looking at you). On the other hand, the memory card system is fucking brilliant. I made memory cards for each of the big companies on my HDD (capcom, konami, etc).

I'm sure they'll fix the 480i thing soon. Also, PS2 component cables work with the PS3.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:28:13 AM

The memory card system is great.  Being able to back it up easily to usb drive is a win.  I was worried we might end up with some kind of awful roach motel for savegames.   I can see the HDD filling up pretty quickly with a lot of games grabbing 150-250MB for cache or whatnot.  Having the HDD standard so games can rely on this is total win though.

Current list of minor gripes / feature requests:
- don't make me have to muck with the controller every time I start a game (I seem to have to hit that PS button an awful lot)
- do something about ps2 content scaling: sony's insane library of older titles is a big selling point for them and this is a chance to give people another reason to upgrade
- let me mount nfs/samba/whatever shares from the NAS and play music and movies / copy savegames to them

Did you get a 60GB unit?  I've heard that the PSP remote access stuff only works with the units with built-in 802.11, but it's not clear if that's even available yet.

-Q
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:06:15 AM

Can you truely justify the kind of prices they are charging for BD movies? They're like $50, right? Seems like a lot when you can get the 'normal" version for less than half the price.

Nevermind, Schild is crazy about this sort of thing; Pointless question.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 11:35:33 AM

schild, have you hit this issue?

What can I say about F13?  It's really my favorite website in the entire universe!  I love the irreverent banter and sly wit these keyboard jockeys produce.  And I especially love the staff, they're AWESOME.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 01:00:25 PM

So, in essence, you are saying:

"The console UI is awesome, I got 1 good movie to watch, 1/4th of my games dont work, the sound doesnt work, the HD doesnt work to the fullest, and I spent $800"

Let me rush out and get one quick.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 01:10:24 PM

You're sounding more and more like a sectarian than a gamer, Morpheind.  wink
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 02:19:34 PM

You're sounding more and more like a sectarian than a gamer, Morpheind.  wink

Nah, I just have a problem with PS3. Costs way to much, and offers way to little. Also, I dont think you should be the one to talk. You dont even like gaming. :-D
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 02:21:26 PM

Also, I dont think you should be the one to talk. You dont even like gaming. :-D

Lol, say what?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 02:26:09 PM

So all those times we've played games together, and with Righ, too, Stray... you were what?  punking us?   angry

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 02:27:46 PM

I am terribly picky, I admit. Usually with just mmo's though.

But of course....That's not gaming anyways.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 02:33:18 PM

Also, PS2 component cables work with the PS3.

I have a real question.  I am a little confused about what I read.  I do not have HDMI on my TV, just component.  With the PS2 cable and optical sound, what sort of look and sound will I get?  Something less than 100% would be bothersome.  I mean for both PS2 and PS3 games.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 03:38:58 PM

Can you truely justify the kind of prices they are charging for BD movies? They're like $50, right? Seems like a lot when you can get the 'normal" version for less than half the price.

They're $14-29 dollars. It's not a pointless question when you have the facts ENTIRELY wrong. They're cheaper than DVDs when DVDs first came out (on average).

schild, have you hit this issue?

No, my set does 720p just fine. But, it fucks up the PS2 thing. You've heard reports about PS2 stuff looking better on the PS2. That's because the PS3 isn't outputting through HDMI or Component when the PS2 shit is enabled at 480p. It's not anti-aliasing either. In other words. Man, PS2 games suck balls on it.

"The console UI is awesome, I got 1 good movie to watch, 1/4th of my games dont work, the sound doesnt work, the HD doesnt work to the fullest, and I spent $800"

I'm just gonna rip this apart. The HD does work to the fullest because my tv supports 720p. Considering the PS2 never output "HD," I can't claim otherwise. I like all 4 movies I got. What's wrong with popcorn flicks? I'd say they're the best thing for hi-def. You think I give a shit about watching Glengarry Glen Ross or Seven Samurai remastared in hi-def? Get real. As for 1/4 of my games not working - did you notice what the game was? Gundam. Put out by Bandai. I should've known better from the beginning. Bandai does dicky jobs with everything. The sound on everything else is flawless. And the sound on Blu-Ray shit is light years beyond DVDs. It's sooooo crisp.

Quote from: Yegolev
I have a real question.  I am a little confused about what I read.  I do not have HDMI on my TV, just component.  With the PS2 cable and optical sound, what sort of look and sound will I get?  Something less than 100% would be bothersome.  I mean for both PS2 and PS3 games.

I used component cables with my 360. Looks incredible. Sure, I upgraded to VGA, but if I didn't have that option I would've been fine with component. I'd say the same goes for the PS3. Assuming your TV supports 720p that is.

Here's my final comment on the hi-def wankering surrounding the system right now. And I'll reiterate this in the article.

1080i is listed as supported. 1080i looks exactly like 480p though. It seems as though someone at Sony just fucked up when they were writing the code for that shit. It seems like a super easy fix and I'm sure it'll come down the pipe soon. Anything (and I mean ANYTHING) that can output 480i-1080p can support 1080i. But more often than not, those things output at 1080i, instead of 480p which is what the PS3 is doing. I'd go as far to say "by mistake."

Quote from: Morphiend
Nah, I just have a problem with PS3. Costs way to much, and offers way to little. Also, I dont think you should be the one to talk. You dont even like gaming.

Having played Genji 2, ripped some MP3s, tooled around with the UI, read a bit more about homebrew and watched a few more movies - I have this to say: I disagree with what you said.

Is it better than the 360? I'll save that for the article.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 03:49:46 PM

Nah, I just have a problem with PS3. Costs way to much, and offers way to little. Also, I dont think you should be the one to talk. You dont even like gaming.

Having played Genji 2, ripped some MP3s, tooled around with the UI, read a bit more about homebrew and watched a few more movies - I have this to say: I disagree with what you said.

Somehow I get the idea that you value your money differently from the rest of us.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 03:54:00 PM

Somehow I get the idea that you value your money differently from the rest of us.

You're only just catching on to that?

Ed: Not to mention Schild's huge blind spot for all things Sony.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 03:55:56 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 03:55:29 PM

Uh, or I like gaming more than the rest of you.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 03:59:09 PM

Blue-Ray Movies != gaming.

No, you have completely different valuations of things when it comes to games, and to more specifically Sony.  PSP, PS3,  same hype different system.  It just takes knowing how to convert our value stick to yours.  :-D

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 04:01:00 PM

Also, PS2 component cables work with the PS3.

One thing to watch out for - the PS3 is a Blu-ray device that supports HDCP. HDCP only 'functions' over newer DVI and HDMI connectors. If you're not going to be using the PS3's HDMI output and you're using an HDTV and you're planning on using the PS3 as your main Blu-ray player, you may want to think twice.

While there's an informal agreement to not use it in the 'immediate future', HDCP-enabled players will downsample all content flagged with the Image Constraint Token (probably will be movies, mostly - I doubt games care about it) if not transmitted over DVI or HDMI to a HDCP-enabled television. (The downsampling is to about 960x540, progressive-mode.)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 04:10:28 PM

We're all seeing different things. Recently, I thought Schild was being staunchly supportive of the 360 (not that there's anything wrong with that). Now he's a Sony fanboi, simply because he likes the PS3. Go figure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 04:16:38 PM

I'm a gaming fanboi. If a system gives me even the slightest reason to own it, I'll get it. Sooner rather than later. I already have a problem having too many games to play them all. If I waited to play them when prices dropped, I'd never get through half of what I get through now.
Strazos

Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 04:18:03 PM

They're $14-29 dollars. It's not a pointless question when you have the facts ENTIRELY wrong. They're cheaper than DVDs when DVDs first came out (on average).

Or maybe you just saw some different prices? The couple stupid movies we have at GameStop, such as Ice Age, were $40+.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 04:21:53 PM

Yes, Gamestop is getting a handful of movies in and gouging customers on them. Not that it matters since they don't have any PS3s to sell. Target had a number of movies for $14.99 this week, as did Fry's. The average price I've seen though is $19.99-$24.99.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 04:28:39 PM

We're all seeing different things. Recently, I thought Schild was being staunchly supportive of the 360 (not that there's anything wrong with that). Now he's a Sony fanboi, simply because he likes the PS3. Go figure.

I don't think he's a fanboi or anything.  I just get the idea that money generally isn't an issue for him so anything he buys that doesn't outright suck is worth the purchase.  Those of us with less disposable income generally have to be more picky, regardless of how much any of us loves gaming.  This isn't a criticism of Schild or anything mind you.  It's just when I read that playing Genji 2 and watching A Knight's Tale in HD justify the purchase of a PS3, I have to remind myself where he's coming from.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: November 18, 2006, 04:31:10 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear on how much I fucking love Genji. It's probably one of my favorite Sony exclusive licenses.
Strazos

Reply #28 on: November 18, 2006, 04:43:47 PM

Yes, Gamestop is getting a handful of movies in and gouging customers on them. Not that it matters since they don't have any PS3s to sell. Target had a number of movies for $14.99 this week, as did Fry's. The average price I've seen though is $19.99-$24.99.

Ok, that's more realistic. I stand corrected. I don't normally shop at Target, and Fry's does not exist here (Not that I ever go shopping for movies anyway).

Fear the Backstab!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #29 on: November 18, 2006, 06:02:29 PM

I'm just gonna rip this apart. The HD does work to the fullest because my tv supports 720p. Considering the PS2 never output "HD," I can't claim otherwise. I like all 4 movies I got. What's wrong with popcorn flicks? I'd say they're the best thing for hi-def. You think I give a shit about watching Glengarry Glen Ross or Seven Samurai remastared in hi-def? Get real. As for 1/4 of my games not working - did you notice what the game was? Gundam. Put out by Bandai. I should've known better from the beginning. Bandai does dicky jobs with everything. The sound on everything else is flawless. And the sound on Blu-Ray shit is light years beyond DVDs. It's sooooo crisp.

Sounds to me like you just agreed with me.

Basically this whole thread boils down to, if your a raging fanboy who will spend money on anything gaming related, get PS3, for the rest of us, its not worth it.

As to schild being a raging Sony fanboy, I think its more of a raging console fanboy. And it always comes out with a new console. Remember the major Xbox 360 fanboyishness last November? I dont disagree that the Xbox360 is a great console, but at the release date it also wasnt worth owning. It took at least 6 months for there to be enough games to make it a worthwhile purchase for most people. I think Ps3 will also be a good system, but defenetly not a rush out and buy on release day system.

What I would like is for some one who is not blinded by "ohhh shiney" to give a review on it.

*Edit* Isnt Genji the game thats getting ripped apart by the reviewers right now?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006, 06:04:24 PM by Morphiend »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 06:26:26 PM

What I would like is for some one who is not blinded by "ohhh shiney" to give a review on it.

It sucks rich boys balls.  You can take my word that I'm not blinded by the shiny at all.  I don't even have one, that's how fair my five word reveiw is!!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: November 18, 2006, 06:26:48 PM

*Edit* Isnt Genji the game thats getting ripped apart by the reviewers right now?

One of several.  Of the exclusives, the only PS3 games that didn't get ripped apart are Ridge Racer and Resistance, with Gundam getting the worst reviews out of the whole lineup.
Strazos

Reply #32 on: November 18, 2006, 07:42:35 PM

How is the new Tony Hawk on PS3?

Fear the Backstab!
Joey
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 18, 2006, 07:58:11 PM

I just don't get all the PS3-love that I'm seeing around the 'net.  There simply isn't a "must-have" game available for it right now to justify not only the expensive price, but all of the bullshit one has to go through in order to get one.  It seems like the early adopters are just so happy to have actually acquired one, that they only need the hardware specs, fun-to-fiddle-with GUI, and Blu-Ray support to be so over-enthused with their purchase.

And about Blu-Ray... I wish I could give a damn about it, but I don't.  I'd be lying if I said that I was just throughly disappointed with the quality of films on DVDs.  It's not like we're jumping from VHS here.

*shrugs*

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 08:20:31 PM

I just don't get all the PS3-love that I'm seeing around the 'net.  There simply isn't a "must-have" game available for it right now to justify not only the expensive price, but all of the bullshit one has to go through in order to get one.  It seems like the early adopters are just so happy to have actually acquired one, that they only need the hardware specs, fun-to-fiddle-with GUI, and Blu-Ray support to be so over-enthused with their purchase.

Yeah, it's neat but the launch titles are typical launch titles: rather uninteresting to me.  The only reason I didn't wait until next year to pick one up was to muck around with the linux side of the world and maybe  "enjoy the shiny" a little.  If they had done a decent job of upscaling/postprocessing for ps1/ps2 video out over HDMI, I would have wanted one just so my ps1/ps2 titles looked nicer on the hdtv, while I waited for some native titles that grabbed me.

Fun to play with, but I wouldn't stand in a line overnight in the rain or pay $2500 on ebay for one or whathaveyou.  Of course I feel that way about just about anything.

- Q
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: PS3 Q&A Thread  
Jump to: