Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 06:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Serenity spoiler thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Serenity spoiler thread  (Read 54428 times)
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: November 08, 2005, 12:30:21 AM

Thought that I would watch the serie before the movie, since this stuff seems to be fairly highly regarded. However, after watching the first 4 episodes I'm strugeling to continue. Sci-fi meets the wild west gets a bit silly. It also seems to be the kind of series where nothing really happen, at the end of every episode they're back to square one so it doesn't really matter if you miss a truckload of episodes.  There's no real plot to follow, or questions you're waiting for answers to. The characters seems about as deep as the ones in Buffy the vampire slayer. So, does the serie take of at some point? I watched Battlestar Galactica just before Firefly, which I found to be superb.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #281 on: November 08, 2005, 09:12:09 AM

If the Wild West sci-fi thing turns you off, you probably won't like much of the series, and may only marginally like the movie. It's kind of central to being able to stand the characters and the setting that you buy into that premise.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #282 on: November 08, 2005, 09:27:05 AM

Ultimately the plot is the characters. They cover a bit of a running story about Simon and River and the people they are running from (which leads in to the plot of the movie), but mainly its about the characters and the relationships between them. If you don't get in to the characters, you probably won't get in to the show.

I'm having a bit of a problem with Deadwood myself right now, because I'm just not interested in quite a few of the characters. Once you get past Swearigen (sp?) and the Canadian, the rest of the cast just hasn't fleshed out enough for me yet to get interested in. I'm still hoping for something out of Molly Parker. Or it could be that I'm just really annoyed by Calamity Jane. The last episode I watched was the one wear she sits in the woods and drinks with a dead guy, and I just haven't had the urge to put the next DVD in. Hopefully things pick up.

Sorry for the derail, but this thread was just stagnating mostly anyways.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: November 11, 2005, 08:28:32 AM

Finnished all the episodes, the order seemed scrambled though, what seemed to be the pilot was episode 11. Got fairly enjoyable after the first bunch of episodes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #284 on: November 11, 2005, 09:05:32 AM

I'm still hoping for something out of Molly Parker. Or it could be that I'm just really annoyed by Calamity Jane

Her progression into a lesbian is fun to watch.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #285 on: November 11, 2005, 09:39:32 AM

Finnished all the episodes, the order seemed scrambled though, what seemed to be the pilot was episode 11. Got fairly enjoyable after the first bunch of episodes.

You have to watch them in the order they're on the DVD, not the order in which they were originally aired.  One of the major complains that fans have about Fox's handling of the show is that they showed everything out of order.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #286 on: November 13, 2005, 08:21:39 AM

Thought that I would watch the serie before the movie, since this stuff seems to be fairly highly regarded. However, after watching the first 4 episodes I'm strugeling to continue. Sci-fi meets the wild west gets a bit silly.

I never got to watch this when it was on Fox, always had something else to be doing.  However, this is the criticism I've heard most often, and it makes no sense to me.  Wild West meets Sci-Fi seems far, far, FAR more reasonable and logical than Sci-Fi meets Fantasy a'la Star Wars, yet people can't wrap their heads around it.   At least in the wild west they had guns, so you avoid the whole magic sword and ranged weapons that move slower than bullets problem.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: November 14, 2005, 09:11:32 AM

The one thing that threw me on the whole movie vs show.

Was I missing something during the show that they were in one solar system the whole time? Because it really seemed like they were traveling system to system. Yet the movie made it seem like, no inter-stellar travel happened.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #288 on: November 14, 2005, 10:01:45 AM

I think there is only 1 system.

EDIT: The word Either didn't make sense when I put it where it was. Writing is hard.

Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: November 14, 2005, 10:26:07 AM

However, this is the criticism I've heard most often, and it makes no sense to me.  Wild West meets Sci-Fi seems far, far, FAR more reasonable and logical than Sci-Fi meets Fantasy a'la Star Wars, yet people can't wrap their heads around it.   At least in the wild west they had guns, so you avoid the whole magic sword and ranged weapons that move slower than bullets problem.

I think of Star Wars more like fantasy in a sci-fi setting.  Sci-fi meets the wild west seems silly to me in the same way a serie set in present time, with our technology, mixed with the middle ages weapons and outfits would be.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: November 14, 2005, 10:41:45 AM

I think of Star Wars more like fantasy in a sci-fi setting.  Sci-fi meets the wild west seems silly to me in the same way a serie set in present time, with our technology, mixed with the middle ages weapons and outfits would be.

What's confusing or silly about it?  "Western" in Serenity has more to do with the tone than anything else; dress, speech, etc.  The main character uses a revolver, but hell, revolvers are still manufactured and in use today.  It seems that the little 'old tech' that is in use has a fair amount to do with limitation of production or availability.  It's convenient to fit into the story of course, but plausible.  There's also the situation that many of the colony planets have extremely limited access to any means of production or trade - this being one of the primary gripes that these planets held against the government.  Other things, like how Serenity's engine looks like a steamboat's paddlewheel, are just aesthetic.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: November 14, 2005, 11:11:50 AM

However, this is the criticism I've heard most often, and it makes no sense to me.  Wild West meets Sci-Fi seems far, far, FAR more reasonable and logical than Sci-Fi meets Fantasy a'la Star Wars, yet people can't wrap their heads around it.   At least in the wild west they had guns, so you avoid the whole magic sword and ranged weapons that move slower than bullets problem.

Highlander was a great movie!

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #292 on: November 14, 2005, 12:51:22 PM

I seem to remember that the guns do not actually use powder, they just look like they do.  Then there's Jayne's favorite gun.  One shot blowing up another ship... that wasn't a regular old bullet.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #293 on: November 14, 2005, 02:27:20 PM

Was I missing something during the show that they were in one solar system the whole time? Because it really seemed like they were traveling system to system. Yet the movie made it seem like, no inter-stellar travel happened.

It's clarified in the first few minutes of the movie that they all immigrated to a star system with many planets, some more habitable than others. The inner planets formed the "core planets" and the farther out you go the rougher it gets.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #294 on: November 14, 2005, 06:12:39 PM

Actually a pretty damn clever idea.  It saves them from having to worry about "warp drives" and time dilation and "hyperspace" and all of the other theoretical complications of interstellar travel.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #295 on: November 15, 2005, 08:03:43 AM

I seem to remember that the guns do not actually use powder, they just look like they do.  Then there's Jayne's favorite gun.  One shot blowing up another ship... that wasn't a regular old bullet.

I think they use caseless ammo, basically just feeding slugs into the chamber; which would also explain why Mal could shoot x gazillion times before reloading.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: November 15, 2005, 08:17:55 AM

It's clarified in the first few minutes of the movie that they all immigrated to a star system with many planets, some more habitable than others. The inner planets formed the "core planets" and the farther out you go the rougher it gets.

RIGHT. They just never showed it that way during the tv series. It just doesnt jibe with their whole "We're in the middle of nowhere, no one will receive our distress signal." episode.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Serenity spoiler thread  
Jump to: