Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:57:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 1012531 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2870 on: July 20, 2016, 03:42:34 PM

Wrong thread. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:44:48 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2871 on: August 02, 2016, 08:44:49 AM

Dear f13

i have had another employer flake/go crazy on me

please find someone to find this worthless shitgoblin for junky shit qa work or community management or idk whatever
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2872 on: August 02, 2016, 09:06:18 AM

I believe we need QA people.  I don't really know what that means in the context of what we are doing, though.  Also, "we" doesn't mean my team since we do weather shit.  Although we do need someone to QA JSON when we do a release but we borrow someone from the QA pool.  /ramble

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2873 on: August 02, 2016, 09:36:21 AM

Dear f13

please find someone to find this worthless shitgoblin for junky shit qa work or community management or idk whatever

Where are you located? NW US?

- Viin
schild
Administrator

Reply #2874 on: August 02, 2016, 09:37:27 AM

Dear f13

Hex Ent needs a community manager

badly
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2875 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:08 AM

I'll conjecture that there is a reason for that condition.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2876 on: August 02, 2016, 10:34:36 AM

Also, I can hit a PokeStop from my desk.  Part of the total compensation package.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2877 on: August 02, 2016, 11:04:21 AM

Also, I can hit a PokeStop from my desk.  Part of the total compensation package.

How would you like this canned AIDs delivered? UPS or FedEx?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2878 on: August 03, 2016, 12:17:56 PM

Please deliver in the same way that I get my health insurance.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2879 on: August 03, 2016, 12:29:44 PM

Thanks, Obama.

I'm going to miss that line.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2880 on: August 04, 2016, 10:36:55 AM

I'm confident that the next admin is going to use it a lot.  Assuming we elect someone capable of speech.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2881 on: August 08, 2016, 10:24:31 AM

Dear f13

Where are you located? NW US?

yeah, boston. I also have worked remotely quite a bit.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2882 on: August 08, 2016, 12:00:49 PM

We have an office in Andover.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2883 on: August 17, 2016, 05:44:02 AM

Now this is happening:
http://giphy.com/weatherunderground

srs bzns in here

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2884 on: August 17, 2016, 07:42:55 AM

moar catz
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2885 on: August 17, 2016, 07:48:36 AM

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-09/weather-channels-web-mobile-growth-leads-to-advertising-insights

The print version is framed next to my desk and I get to look at those two cats every day.

Edit: Print version also has a photo of Neil Katz, so three of them, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 07:50:37 AM by Yegolev »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2886 on: August 17, 2016, 08:19:11 AM

I use NWS because it doesn't do nonsense like that  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2887 on: August 17, 2016, 01:05:04 PM

So, after a heck of a lot of flying, just got to my next assignment. I'll be based in Sharm el Sheikh and running around the Sinai and bits of Israel.

Apparently, the hotel internet sucks. I'm having trouble checking email, but I can play World of Tanks on my new laptop? Ok.

Also, there's a little ice rink. It's not big or sophisticated enough to warrant repeated skating, but I'll at least go over at some point and get an obligatory selfie while skating in the desert.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2888 on: August 17, 2016, 01:17:27 PM

I use NWS because it doesn't do nonsense like that  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

That is entirely fair.  I would, however, suggest using the European model since it is superior in most cases to the NWS model.  Even over the U.S.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2889 on: August 18, 2016, 05:49:39 AM

I'm with the other curmudgeon, and use NWS. My wife for some bizarre reason uses the weather channel mobile site, and then bitches about it.

On the job side, I'm trying to figure out how to never ever go to Atlanta again, and just replace the $5k in money I make there. So far the 'best' options are either work in Oklahoma for 6 weeks, or sit at home in the dark trying to see how cheap we can live for that time.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2890 on: August 18, 2016, 08:51:27 AM

Welp, I'm starting to actively live out Office Space.  My project manager's brilliant solution to doing too many status reports is to do yet another duplicate status report that doesn't feed from any of our existing sources.  Kinda glad I've got multiple interviews stacked up now.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2891 on: August 18, 2016, 09:08:28 AM

I'm with the other curmudgeon, and use NWS. My wife for some bizarre reason uses the weather channel mobile site, and then bitches about it.

Thanks to your wife for the money!  But really, if you're going to restrict yourself to a single weather model: http://www.ecmwf.int/

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2892 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:35 AM

On the job side, I'm trying to figure out how to never ever go to Atlanta again, and just replace the $5k in money I make there. So far the 'best' options are either work in Oklahoma for 6 weeks, or sit at home in the dark trying to see how cheap we can live for that time.

You could work in Sandy Springs OTP,  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2893 on: August 18, 2016, 12:10:40 PM

So much, I am not saying.  Plenty of money but it's twenty miles per hour in both directions.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #2894 on: August 18, 2016, 01:28:35 PM

Thanks to your wife for the money!  But really, if you're going to restrict yourself to a single weather model: http://www.ecmwf.int/

Grabbing a dataset to analyze from ftp doesn't seem as convenient as weather.gov

Just sayin'
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2895 on: August 18, 2016, 11:56:14 PM

For some reason I have the Weather Channel app installed on my phone.  It is so horrible that it is quite impressive how horrible they managed to make it.  I have no idea about its weather predicting abilities.  It is trying to update me on all the flooding in the southern US, as if I give a fuck.  Flooding in the south is like number three on the top 10 list of ways to improve the south.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #2896 on: August 19, 2016, 04:57:28 AM

I use the WUnderground app on my phone. Does what I need it to do which is tells me if there is a chance of rain so I can plan on when/if to mow the lawn.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2897 on: August 19, 2016, 06:56:33 AM

WU uses the same data as the rest of our stuff, which means they also have the least-wrong forecasts.  I use that app.

Most people are OK with passable forecasts, I think.

Grabbing a dataset to analyze from ftp doesn't seem as convenient as weather.gov

Just sayin'

I think they would charge you for it, also.  If only someone would meld together these different forecast models and choose the best result for any given location ....

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2898 on: August 19, 2016, 06:57:17 AM

For some reason I have the Weather Channel app installed on my phone.  It is so horrible that it is quite impressive how horrible they managed to make it.  I have no idea about its weather predicting abilities.  It is trying to update me on all the flooding in the southern US, as if I give a fuck.  Flooding in the south is like number three on the top 10 list of ways to improve the south.

Speaking for the South, go fuck yourself.  awesome, for real

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2899 on: August 19, 2016, 09:43:25 AM

As someone with that Weather Channel app on my phone, I only use it to check the general forecast and the temperature for when I have to walk my dogs. Living in Mississippi, I'm quite well aware that "chance of rain" equals "who the fuck knows." I literally experienced three goddamn seasons within the span of a few hours the other day, with at least two of them occurring simultaneously. The man that tells me he can predict the weather in Mississippi with anything even approaching 30% efficiency can get fucked.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2900 on: August 19, 2016, 11:53:53 AM

I just google "weather zipcode" whenever I'm contemplating some outdoor activity; no need for an app.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #2901 on: August 19, 2016, 12:02:42 PM

My brother in law raved about Dark Skies, for the Florida weather and to know when you are about to get drenched.  I ended up paying 5 bucks for it for the wife and I. It's not horrid.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2902 on: August 19, 2016, 05:27:56 PM

Really I think it doesn't matter in the end for regular people.  I have seen the statistics as to who is better and by how much (Dark Skies is pretty bad), but I don't look at the forecast at all.  If I get wet, I get wet and deal.  The science is pretty cool but even predicting for the next hour is a gamble.  And, the more I learn about how it works, the less seriously I take it despite the scientific and computing advances I deal with.  Just use the phone app you like.  Although I'd like it if you used one that made money for me. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

For business customers, though, even a little more accuracy is important.  The system we made live last month has increased (and will continue to increase) the accuracy, but I'd be surprised if any casual user would notice.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #2903 on: August 21, 2016, 08:03:13 AM

So I've only been here since Wednesday, but I'm already getting sent out an about through Israel today...via a 9 hour drive, just to get to our start point. Wheeeeeee.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2904 on: August 22, 2016, 08:26:17 AM

If I get wet, I get wet and deal. 
Are you single? Because this sounds suspiciously like single guy talk.

Because yeah, I give no shits about some rain. But holy hell if there is a single drop in a five mile radius, everything is cancelled forever.

Women.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: