Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617095 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1785 on: October 02, 2015, 07:23:18 PM

This could so, so work.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1786 on: October 06, 2015, 12:09:39 PM

Damage Control is a much better fit for TV than SHIELD - doesn't need a large budget and can piggyback off of stuff that happens in the movies without needing to influence the movies.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: October 08, 2015, 09:32:25 AM

Ant-Man and the Wasp announced for 2018 with three more projects to be announced for 2020.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1788 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:26 AM

Ant-Man and the Wasp announced for 2018 with three more projects to be announced for 2020.

Link at Marvel.com

They're going to push the dates around on a couple other films as a result of adding this in.
I was so hoping for a sequel  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1789 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:07 AM

I'm down.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1790 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:25 PM

Future projects (some dates based upon wild speculation - feel free to ignore)

11/20/15: Jessica Jones
1/?/16: Agent Carter Season 2 (speculation)
4?/?/16: Daredevil 2 (speculation)
5/6/16: Cap America III - Civil War
6/?/16: Luke Cage (speculation)
7/?/16: Marvel's Most Wanted (speculation)
7/?/16: Damage Control (Speculation)
9/1/16: MAoS 3
11/4/16: Doc Strange
4/?/17: Iron Fist (speculation)
5/5/17: Guardians 2.0
7/28/17: Spider-Man
9/?/17: MAoS 4 (speculation)
10/?/17: Daredevil 3 (speculation)
11/3/17: Thor 3 - Ragnarock
2/16/18: Black Panther
4/?/18: Defenders (speculation)
5/4/18: Infinity 1
7/6/18: Ant-man and Wasp
3/8/19 Cap Marvel
5/3/19: Infinity 2
7/12/19: Inhumans
5/1/20: Untitled
7/10/20: Untitled
11/6/20: Untitled
12/25/20: Ambush Bug 1 -> 45 (Speculation)

Another thing that is highly speculative at this point but might be supported by a rumored contract provision: Luke Cage may be a character that transitions from Netlfix to movies as a member of the Avengers post (or during) Infinity.

Interesting Tidbit that I heard: Inhumans would be postponed if Fantastic Four rights are recovered so that they can do a FF movie first.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:56:32 AM by jgsugden »

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: October 08, 2015, 03:10:57 PM

Interesting list.  A year and a half wait for the next Guardians.  Heartbreak
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #1792 on: October 08, 2015, 04:07:09 PM

Future projects (some dates based upon wild speculation - feel free to ignore)

12/25/20: Ambush Bug 1 -> 45 (Speculation)

Philistine, Ambush Bug is a DC property.
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1793 on: October 08, 2015, 11:34:34 PM

Maybe he's heard a rumor that the rights will revert to Marvel by 2020.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1794 on: October 09, 2015, 01:28:02 PM

Interesting Tidbit that I heard: Inhumans would be postponed if Fantastic Four rights are recovered so that they can do a FF movie first.

I expect to see Inhumans delayed for Spider-man 2. I can't see Sony wanting to wait 3 years for a sequel, especially if the first one ends up doing well. 2019 could end up being a four movie year if they push Inhumans back to November.

Edit: 2018 could be a four movie year as well if they try to squeeze a Dr. Strange sequel in somewhere. They're rapidly reaching a point where they're struggling to juggle all the franchises they're introducing.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:34:19 PM by Velorath »
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1795 on: October 09, 2015, 01:47:18 PM

I expect to see Inhumans delayed for Spider-man 2. I can't see Sony wanting to wait 3 years for a sequel, especially if the first one ends up doing well. ...
I guess that depends upon the piece they're getting from Civil War, and both Infinity movies - he is in 4 films in 4 years already...

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: October 09, 2015, 02:10:31 PM

Well rumor going around that as part of the Feige/Perlmutter split that Feige may cancel the Inhumans movie and let the TV division just run with it.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1797 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:09 PM

Well rumor going around that as part of the Feige/Perlmutter split that Feige may cancel the Inhumans movie and let the TV division just run with it.

It's the main reason I didn't think they would even have inhumans in the show, trying to split the inhumans between two properties dilutes the potential of both.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1798 on: October 09, 2015, 04:00:48 PM

Most rumore point towards the movies making more reference to TV rather than steering clear of it.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/marvel-movies-reference-tv-shows-1201607194/

Regardless, I still hear more about the potential complications surrounding the Inhumans being a result of timing around a potential collection of the FF rights in the next few years and wanting Inhumans royal family to grow out of a flagship concept like FF rather than to have them as movie fodder by themselves.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1799 on: October 09, 2015, 04:35:47 PM

By "hear" I assume you mean read online various places, in which case if you simply search Inhumans right now there are a bunch of stories published in the last few hours like this one which is what Evildrider is referring to.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: October 09, 2015, 04:53:32 PM

Hear = podcasts in this instance.

The recent articles speculating on this instance are in conflict with the series of discussions recently noting the explicit statements by Feige, etc...

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1801 on: October 09, 2015, 05:17:25 PM

If there is any sort of division going on between the TV and movies sides I don't think anyone involved would publicly acknowledge it. Regardless, they've been willing to delay Captain Marvel twice to squeeze other stuff in and that's a movie people have actually expressed excitement for. Whatever the reasons, Inhumans seems like a very easy project to dump altogether if even lower tier movies like Ant Man are getting sequels.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #1802 on: October 09, 2015, 06:22:51 PM

At some point, speculation started to mean the same thing as rumor.

beer geek.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: October 10, 2015, 01:28:46 PM

Tying in more to the TV sounds like an awful idea. Ultron was already burdened with too many tie-ins and too much stuff related to the TV series like Hydra being defeated on TV after being built up in CA:WS and a new helicarrier just randomly appearing out of nowhere.

I'm sure the people at Marvel are aware of this criticism. So I'd be surprised if the tie-ins become stronger. I suspect there is some concern that SHIELD is poisoning the well for the Inhumans with the goofy unthreatening take on them.

It's like how in ST:TNG the Ferengi were originally supposed to be primary villains but their first appearances were so badly botched that they essentially became comic relief. That's kind of the situation with the Inhumans and SHIELD, they were introduced with a wimper - their entire army is one duplicating redhead chick. They come off as villain of the week dolts that Ant-Man could dispatch.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1804 on: October 10, 2015, 07:41:46 PM

The other problem is that they are trying so so so hard to sell the Inhumans in the comics as major, central parts of the Marvel Universe rather than a fun side story, and it's really not taking hold with most readers no matter how hard they push it.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: October 10, 2015, 07:54:08 PM

The other problem is that they are trying so so so hard to sell the Inhumans in the comics as major, central parts of the Marvel Universe rather than a fun side story, and it's really not taking hold with most readers no matter how hard they push it.

By doing a kick ass Inhumans movie they can turn that around right quick.  Look how big Guardians of the Galaxy became after their movie. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1806 on: October 10, 2015, 08:02:28 PM

They are absolutely hammering the Guardians in book after book since the movie. And it's all been surprisingly good despite having Bendis over the main book and the Team-Up book.

Of course, I thought Charles Soule's Inhuman book has been pretty good too.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1807 on: October 11, 2015, 11:17:40 AM

I like the Inhumans but they've always been more of a circus side-show attraction than anything else.

I get that Marvel wants to shift the focus from mutants since they don't have the movie rights but you can't make people forget 50 years of history. "Mutants don't matter any more it's all about Inhumans now" just isn't going to work. Not when the main Inhumans are like...a woman who gives mean hair-jobs, a dude who knows karate and a sad dog with a tuning fork in his head.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: October 11, 2015, 11:25:27 AM

I like the Inhumans but they've always been more of a circus side-show attraction than anything else.

I get that Marvel wants to shift the focus from mutants since they don't have the movie rights but you can't make people forget 50 years of history. "Mutants don't matter any more it's all about Inhumans now" just isn't going to work. Not when the main Inhumans are like...a woman who gives mean hair-jobs, a dude who knows karate and a sad dog with a tuning fork in his head.

Lockjaw is the next Rocket.   awesome, for real
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1809 on: October 11, 2015, 01:04:57 PM

I don't think GOTG would be the movie it was without James Gunn and to me that's the biggest hurdle marvel has right now.  Every time the director is given enough room to be themselves the movies are vastly improved but when the prevailing thought is "these characters sell themselves" and directors are given less freedom, the movies veer off into mediocre.   

Inhumans starts at a disadvantage not by obscurity but by the same space they occupy already being covered by the xmen movies.  Whether or not they are different universes is not a box office issue, there is already a widely known meta-human team in theatres.  Where they could really shine is by having a unique directorial vision with the movie, to cover some new ground but if they just do a by the numbers super movie, it'll just be another middle of the pack MCU joint.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1810 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:51 PM

I'm not sure how you could do a regular super hero movie with the Inhumans, especially given the take that the MCU and Agents of SHIELD has taken with them. I mean, I'm sure you could but it would be terrible and I think Marvel's film guys know better. No whether whatever take they go with is box office gold or not, that's up for debate.

I agree with you about Gunn and GOTG, though. Bear in mind that it took somebody with serious balls and vision to greenlight a GOTG movie in the first place. Those characters weren't even that popular among super hero fans much less anyone of them with any kind of mainstream name recognition.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: October 11, 2015, 01:52:27 PM

I think Marvel has done a pretty good job with directors.. Gunn and the Russo brothers were great pick ups. 
I think the Inhumans can be done, but they are going to have to some changes to fit the MCU.  Inhumans would also fit well if mixed in with the Guardians first before hitting Earth.

I don't think anything on TV is in the way with an Inhumans movie yet.  We aren't really getting into any area where the Royal Family would be forced to step in.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: October 11, 2015, 04:31:14 PM

The Inhumans movie would certainly focus on the Royal Family. Beyond a similar origin story, it'd have very little to do with the Inhumans on tv... I'd expect it'd be revealed that those Inhumans have been around in hiding a long time. I expect the Eternal and the Inhuman Royal family will tie into GoTG 2 a bit... I think Peter Quill's papa is Starfox.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: October 11, 2015, 04:53:34 PM

They haven't really been pushing them any harder then anything else. Up until ANAD they had one big event tie in to change their direction, one team book building on the consequences and one wildly popular solo character that struck lighting. Most of the bitching about them is just the usual comicbookguy froth that hates any and all change from their own personal one true vision.

The only TRUE change in both the comic world and the MCU is now when you want a random super, they are a Inhuman instead of a mutant, the end. 'Why can this asshole breathe fire? Inhuman!'

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1814 on: October 12, 2015, 01:59:43 PM

I don't think the GOTG comparison really works. The GOTG are sort of jokey good guys. The Inhumans are being built up as serious bad guys who come off as jokey. From what I've seen of the TV show I don't think the Inumans are supposed to be silly, they just are because of the limited production budget, the writing, etc.

It's also important to note that the superhero mutant team is "The X-Men" not "all mutants." The X-Men are a specific team of mutants, and mutants in general can be good guys, bad guys, not super heroes at all, etc. The Inhumans don't really have a team  - the closest they come is the royal family, which really isn't that close. But they are being portrayed as essentially a race of bad guys, like the Skrulls.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1815 on: October 12, 2015, 02:28:50 PM

I don't actually get that at all. Comparing their portrayal to mutants is much more appropriate than Skrulls.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: October 12, 2015, 05:24:39 PM

The Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff took 20 years of Marvel storytelling and made it a bit richer and more interconnected, and that gave rise to Guardians of the Galaxy in more or less the form you see it on-screen.

The recent turn in the Inhumans takes the Royal Family and Attilan and tries to make them into the alternate explanation of random superpowers in the entire MU. Kind of like that horrible DC Annuals thing with the Bloodline--a random way to make superpowers, not particularly connected to the already-known characters.

It's putting a strain on the Royal Family as characters that they can't really sustain. They're interesting but don't have anywhere near the density of storytelling behind them to hold up, even with Soule writing them.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: October 12, 2015, 09:02:54 PM

It's putting a strain on the Royal Family as characters that they can't really sustain. They're interesting but don't have anywhere near the density of storytelling behind them to hold up, even with Soule writing them.

This doesn't make sense to me. The lack of density is exactly why they can do this and present the 'established' characters in new light. They don't have the baggage (or baggage anyone cares about).

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: October 13, 2015, 03:30:54 AM

Rumors sourced from Joblo have Hulk/Banner next appearing in . Not what I'd have expected, but potentially a good place for the Hulk to be used to the full extent.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1819 on: October 13, 2015, 04:05:43 AM

This doesn't make sense to me. The lack of density is exactly why they can do this and present the 'established' characters in new light. They don't have the baggage (or baggage anyone cares about).

Meaning, I don't think they make sense as being at the center of a global bloom of superpowered people, unless that's literally the storyline. E.g., the Royal Family (and the residents of Attilan) were always recluses and kind of snobby--sort of superpowered Shangri-La. Terrigen was sacred--in one case, they fought to get a cannister of it back that someone stole from them. They didn't particularly like or interact with the rest of humanity. Mutants have to deal with evolution, with the notion that you're just born that way--Inhumans, no matter how they spin it, are made. Now if the continuing story is about what people who think of themselves as set-aside and superior do when they turn out to be no better (and sometimes worse) than everyone else after their specialness is taken away, that might be interesting, and I guess that's been part of the story since Infinity or so--I'm reading Soule's book on Marvel Unlimited. But they're also trying to stick to the "rivalrous royalties" idea.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: