Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 09:27:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  (Read 617938 times)
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1155 on: October 23, 2014, 10:04:10 PM

One thing to consider - this far out, the big effects shots are far from complete.  We're not seeing the big action moments, yet.  The trailers we see in 5 months are going to be much more action oriented...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1156 on: October 24, 2014, 02:08:30 AM

Stop making me agree with Marvel-Psycho.

It's just a teaser chaps, and it's the grimdark draw you in version.  Don't sweat it too much at this stage.  Also, you should probably be aware that it is unlikely to be as good as GotG as it is 'things we've seen before' for the most part.

I do love Heath Ultron though.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1157 on: October 24, 2014, 03:56:06 AM

Stop making me agree with Marvel-Psycho.

It's just a teaser chaps, and it's the grimdark draw you in version.  Don't sweat it too much at this stage.  Also, you should probably be aware that it is unlikely to be as good as GotG as it is 'things we've seen before' for the most part.

I do love Heath Ultron though.

Didn't say I'm worried it's going to be a bad movie or anything. Just that I was more excited for GotG than Avengers 2 based on the first trailer for each. Was more excited for Cap 2 based on the first trailer for that as well. Ultimately these trailers are all cut by the marketing department though and not the directors so in the long run it doesn't matter much. This trailer had me thinking "yeah, that looks like it should be good" rather than feeling like I just can't wait 6-7 months to see it.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1158 on: October 24, 2014, 04:11:36 AM

I was just as excited, to be honest.  Though I'm more intrigued.  There are a lot of unanswered questions here, which I guess is the textbook definition of 'teaser'.

awesome, for real

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1159 on: October 24, 2014, 04:51:50 AM

To pile on DC a bit here, did you notice how this movie is dark in its material but the whole thing isn't sepia toned and drained of color?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1160 on: October 24, 2014, 07:11:28 AM

Yes, but that's because Marvel can make it be dark emotionally rather than needing camera tricks.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1161 on: October 24, 2014, 07:25:46 AM

Iron Man 3 was quite dark emotionally.

Also, not very good.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: October 24, 2014, 10:18:05 AM

Yes, but that's because Marvel can make it be dark emotionally rather than needing camera tricks.

I think the problem here is Zac Snyder, not something inherent to WB and their characters.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1163 on: October 24, 2014, 04:19:27 PM

I think the problem here is Zac Snyder, not something inherent to WB and their characters.
The aged nature and greater power levels on most of their characters bump up the difficulty level considerably.  Marvel's core was established after the advent of the refrigerator and TV - but DC was not.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1164 on: October 24, 2014, 04:31:38 PM

Though of course, superman was much less powerful before the widespread adoption of refrigeration.

Given the willingness to be all dark and edgy in a superman film its a shame they aren't willing to be non-traditional by simply making him less powerful.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1165 on: October 24, 2014, 06:04:11 PM

Though of course, superman was much less powerful before the widespread adoption of refrigeration.

Given the willingness to be all dark and edgy in a superman film its a shame they aren't willing to be non-traditional by simply making him less powerful.

That movie was called the incredibles and it was awesome

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: October 24, 2014, 11:28:29 PM

The original superman was just a strong, tough guy who could jump really far, and was unable to fly. So yeah, Increadables.

Hic sunt dracones.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1167 on: October 25, 2014, 01:56:55 PM

So how is it that Fox can use Quicksilver in DoFP, but Disney can use the same character here? Shouldn't that present the same problems regarding why Disney cannot use X-Men?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: October 25, 2014, 04:25:12 PM

My recollection, which was backed up by a little wiki-fu, was that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were actually Avengers at one point.
Their origins lie with Magneto and the X-Men, but they were never actually X-Men.

I think that if Fox had a case, we'd have heard about a lawsuit by now. And vice-versa. So these characters must not fall under whatever licensing agreement was made regarding the X-Men.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1169 on: October 25, 2014, 05:21:06 PM

Quicksilver and SW are one of the few characters that have their film rights split between companies. I think the Skrulls are also split between Disney and Fox. The Sub-mariner is owned by at least 2 different companies but isn't quite as straightforward as QS and SW. I think Namor has to be shared, so it's going to be awhile before he shows up in any other medium (even video games).
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #1170 on: October 25, 2014, 05:27:53 PM

I really hope Marvel invests some of its many new found millions into having the man who haphazardly sold all this shit away beaten to death with a stack of comic books in a pillow case.  And if he's already dead, his family.

I mean dear god, talk about fucking the future for very small short term gain.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:09:23 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1171 on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:22 PM

I really hope Marvel invests some of its many new found millions into having the man who sold all this shit away haphazardly beaten to death with a stack of comic books in a pillow case.  And if he's already dead, his family.

I mean dear god, talk about fucking the future for very small short term gain.

There would be no Marvel right now if they hadn't of sold it.  They were close to gone and that was their only way out.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1172 on: October 25, 2014, 06:45:30 PM

My recollection, which was backed up by a little wiki-fu, was that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were actually Avengers at one point.
Their origins lie with Magneto and the X-Men, but they were never actually X-Men.

I think that if Fox had a case, we'd have heard about a lawsuit by now. And vice-versa. So these characters must not fall under whatever licensing agreement was made regarding the X-Men.

It's not as simple as them just having been avengers, everyone has been an avenger including wolverine. 

I am the .00000001428%
Maven
Terracotta Army

Reply #1173 on: October 25, 2014, 08:35:50 PM

Key to their usage is that they can't be called Mutants by Disney.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1174 on: October 26, 2014, 03:26:54 AM

It's not as simple as them just having been avengers, everyone has been an avenger including wolverine. 

We're debating a contract none of us have seen, but by all accounts Disney could use Wolverine if they really really wanted to, but destroying the relationship with Fox over it isn't worth it.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: October 26, 2014, 09:36:09 AM

...We're debating a contract none of us have seen, but by all accounts Disney could use Wolverine if they really really wanted to, but destroying the relationship with Fox over it isn't worth it.
Your first half of the sentence is the key here - the general public's only information related to which characters which studio can use is what the studios release, and they have not told us a lot of things that people assume are true.

However, I would be shocked if there were any main characters out there where there is any remaining uncertainty as to their rights. 

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, as a packaged pair, get pretty special treatment as they play an important role in both the X-verse (as Magneto's child, and (particularly Scarlet Witch) as key components of major storylines) and the Avengers (as early Avengers and (particularly Scarlet Witch) as key cogs in major storylines (Scarlet Witch and her relationship with the Vision).  They've said there are other shared characters, but I do not know who they are... but I'd be shocked if Wolverine was not locked own exclusively at Fox as part of their deal.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1176 on: October 26, 2014, 11:30:07 AM

We're debating a contract none of us have seen, but by all accounts Disney could use Wolverine if they really really wanted to, but destroying the relationship with Fox over it isn't worth it.

You mean like killing off Wolverine?  Or messing with the X-men comics so much that they are barely recognizable to the movie teams?  Or how about telling writers they can't create any new mutant characters?
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: October 26, 2014, 03:49:52 PM

So I re-watched Marvel's The Avengers over the weekend. In the blink or you'll miss it department, Jasper Sitwell is on the bridge of the Helicarrier. He's not mentioned by name, but it's definitely the same actor as in Cap 2.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1178 on: October 26, 2014, 05:25:44 PM

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Jasper_Sitwell 

He's appeared in just about everything since they decided there was a universe.  Well until he died at least.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #1179 on: October 27, 2014, 10:07:35 AM

I like the trailer.

Does Hank Pym exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? One of the best things about Ultron for me is Hank Pym's massive guilt trip about creating him. I got a feeling from the trailer that they might have made Stark the creator in this version of the story?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1180 on: October 27, 2014, 10:17:51 AM

Yes.  Yes, they have.

He decided he liked the idea that Drone Better.

I suspect it will turn out poorly for him.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: October 27, 2014, 01:01:03 PM

Honestly in the MCU it would be weird if Stark DIDN'T make Ultron.  Trying to make drones is just a natural progression for the character.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1182 on: October 27, 2014, 03:22:14 PM

So, Doctor Strange news has come full circle with Cumberbatch rumored to be named as the lead in the next couple days.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: October 27, 2014, 04:36:37 PM

The Obvuis way to go with Strange is to make him some kind of "iron Man with Magic" in a sense. Ordinary guy that build up a lot of power via study... or thinking about it maybe have him be like the Technomancers in Bab5, technological illusions that look like wizardry. Considering that they have been pretty forthright about saying that Thor is not a god but a really long lived Alien with godlike powers that are actually Tech in nature, I have a feeling that they are trying to keep any kind of truly supernatural stuff out of their movies. Going that route actually saves them a lot of headaches, but what kind of villian could they put him against that would be a truley Doc Strange villian if they go that route? Bounce him through Thors 9 worlds and send him against Loki?

Hic sunt dracones.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1184 on: October 27, 2014, 04:51:27 PM

The main reason they are doing Doctor Strange is to bring magic into the MCU.  I can't remember, but didn't they hand wave Asgardian "magic" by just saying that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1185 on: October 27, 2014, 06:11:19 PM

Seriously, they are not thinking in any way like that.

They are just looking for a character that is the next most filmable and marketable while being superficially different enough from the others that they can pretend it is a new thing but not actually so different that they aren't interchangeable in the Avengers story and able to fit the MCU film template.

Possibly with a side serving of "which character does the corporate suit I have to sell this to like".

I should stress I'm entirely ok with this so long as they keep churning out stuff at the level they have been, but this isn't some grand artistic project.

I have a feeling that they are trying to keep any kind of truly supernatural stuff out of their movies.

I definitely think they seem to steer away from it because it is harder to do well in a contemporary setting, but the explanation in Thor felt like a writer/director decision to make clear that their character was not invulnerable rather than a grand theory delivered from the big plan. Which is as it should be.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:14:53 PM by eldaec »

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:45 PM

Seriously, they are not thinking in any way like that.

They are just looking for a character that is the next most filmable and marketable while being superficially different enough from the others that they can pretend it is a new thing but not actually so different that they aren't interchangeable in the Avengers story and able to fit the MCU film template.

Then they have way more options than Doctor Strange.  Seriously, Strange is one of the most out there characters when it comes down to putting it on film.  Feige himself has said that this is their chance to swerve into magic and the supernatural.  They are going to have Doctor Strange look at magic from the scientific angle, as he is an M.D., and then wrap it in some mysticism.  However it's still going to be suggested it's all physics and quantum mechanics.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1187 on: October 28, 2014, 10:16:26 AM

From the point of view of opening up the Universe and the potential for new characters that makes sense. Immortals open up the Terrigen mists and with the introduction of magic they can start to bring in a pretty big crop of characters and justify fairly unremarked upon background people (especially without the normal comics fall back of mutants).

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #1188 on: October 28, 2014, 12:42:18 PM

Announces today by Marvel:
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Inhumans
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Guardians 2
And a 2 part Avengers: Infinity War.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: October 28, 2014, 12:47:00 PM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 71 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Marvel Universe (Thar be spoilers ahead.)  
Jump to: