Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2233164 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8365 on: December 30, 2013, 05:05:16 AM

XCOM:EW.

Lots and Lots and Lots of XCOM:EW.

It's Great.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8366 on: December 30, 2013, 05:33:09 AM

Incidentally unless you're into the whole impossible/ironman dickpunching thing, enable the meld tutorial and disable the regular tutorial.

While the original tutorial is stupid and basically nets you 3 guaranteed deaths + 1 promotion, the Meld Tutorial is basically 2 free meld containers and all 4 rookies get guaranteed promotions.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8367 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:22 AM

I suspect a lot of the nostalgia for pixel art/retro visuals is because of that long period when everything was in 3D. 

I love good sprite art. However most modern pixel art games are not good sprite art. I mean, compare Mercenary Kings to Metal Slug...most pixel art these games seem like less an imitation of actual sprite-based games of the past and more an imitation of that bad Scott Pilgrim downloadable game from a few years ago.

I'm a little confused about what you're saying here. Are you saying Mercenary Kings' art is an imitation of the Scott Pilgrim brawler from a few years back? If so, that would be because the artist behind both is the same person.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8368 on: December 30, 2013, 07:32:35 AM

Incidentally unless you're into the whole impossible/ironman dickpunching thing, enable the meld tutorial and disable the regular tutorial.

While the original tutorial is stupid and basically nets you 3 guaranteed deaths + 1 promotion, the Meld Tutorial is basically 2 free meld containers and all 4 rookies get guaranteed promotions.

I didn't know there were two.  I said 'No' to the tutorial because I remember it just being stupid.

Oh.

Well, I'll play through again.  Not to unearth the XCOM thread, but people in there are right :  Mimetic skin breaks the game hugely, but it's just.  so.  fun.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #8369 on: December 30, 2013, 07:42:25 AM

Mimetic skin is hilariously broken and doubly so with snipers when they get Low Profile. A colonel sniper with mimetic skin and jumpy legs is hilarious.

When you get done stomping all over the game with the regular classes and the new goodies; turn on training roulette. It fucks over supports really bad since their bread and butter are the medkit boosting skills and the rest of the random skills they can get from the other classes aren't as great for them as they are for others, but you can get some really, really hilariously powerful assaults and heavies.

With the right mix of skills you can roll up an assault that when they close to range can attack 4 times in a single round.

And if one of your soldiers gets into the higher ranks and you find their random skill assortment lackluster? Well, just lop their limbs off and make them into MECs since their skills aren't affected. It'll likely be a support, which is fine since the defensive field passive supports get as MECs is pretty kickass.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:44:17 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8370 on: December 30, 2013, 12:21:12 PM

I'm a little confused about what you're saying here. Are you saying Mercenary Kings' art is an imitation of the Scott Pilgrim brawler from a few years back? If so, that would be because the artist behind both is the same person.

I was saying 2 different things:

1. That Mercenary Kings looks bad compared to Metal Slug

2. That a lot of games that claim to be inspired by 8 and 16 bit titles actually seem more inspired by that Scott Pilgrim game - they are imitations of imitations. It was too separate points, I just used Mercenary Kings vs. Metal Slug because it's a pretty apples to apples comparison.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #8371 on: December 31, 2013, 01:14:51 AM

Link's awakening DX and Oracle of Seasons/Ages on the 3DS because ALBW rekindled my interest in the 2D Zeldas and because they continually come up quite high the 'best Zeldas' lists.

I like that they actually improve on the ALTTP formula as much as they can on a device with the computational power of a toaster (Gameboy Color). For me at least their praise seems to be at least parts nostalgia though since they already have some of the mechanics that people seem to hate in later games (especially the world gating by items and some hand holding)

The link mechanic in Ages/Seasons is interesting but also something that could have been easily streamlined with the 3DS virtual console ports. For a company that made some of the best and tightest platformers though the controls in all three of those games suck much more than I liked. Jumping especially is a major hassle and a few boss fights suffer from the loose controls. All in all I rather liked them especially because they offer me what I like about Zelda - puzzles upon puzzles in dungeons and a sense of exploration on the overworld but after playing those titles I appreciate what ALBW did even more. It didn't just reinvigorate the Zelda formula and  cut out the 'cruft' it is also mechanically a better game and offers much tighter and more streamlined controls than its predecessors.

Seasons for me has the better 'gimmick' mechanic with the rod of seasons and the way the seasons affect the world but its focus on the bosses leads to a few really shitty boss encounters, the ages gimmick is not that deep and most often used not for puzzles but simply to lock/unlock areas in later stages of the games. The bosses are less elaborate but it has the better dungeon puzzles. As with seasons though they go over the top a few times so a few of the puzzles are actually unreasonably obtuse.

I also started AC IV and my initial impression is that it needs even less Assassins and even more Pirates, they should have just scrapped the AC tie in/part of the game and have made it a full blown Pirates successor in spirit.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8372 on: December 31, 2013, 07:23:35 AM

It should be noted that Oracle of Seasons/Ages (as well as Minish Cap and I think Four Swords?) were made by Capcom and not Nintendo.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #8373 on: December 31, 2013, 03:35:21 PM

On the Mac/PC, have fallen into the darkness of Football Manager 2014, suckered in by the recent Steam sale. I will be swallowed up again and I can lose hours just creating tactics, perusing players, twiddling training, etc. -- even barely tapping the "Continue" button.

Also, Dominions 4 -- haven't had a chance to full bore in depth, and it's not a radical evolution, just a few more wrinkles that are nice -- more detailed battle reports (showing me which commanders survive/die, how many troops in each breakdown), wraparound random maps.

On the 3DS, Pokemon X -- never played a Pokemon game before, it's fairly engrossing and engaging, and a heck of lot easier than SMT :D

Tempted to nab Europa Universalis 4

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #8374 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:57 PM

It should be noted that Oracle of Seasons/Ages (as well as Minish Cap and I think Four Swords?) were made by Capcom and not Nintendo.

you don't really notice it though.
Mac
Terracotta Army

Reply #8375 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:36 PM

Playing Borderlands 2 with a buddy who got it from me as a Steam Gift during the Xmas sale. We are having a very good time with it, it is much more fun and hilarious playing with someone else.

I was made to promise not to play Borderlands 2 without him so I'm playing XCOM: EW when he's offline. Although I never played the original, I am playing the fuck out of this one.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8376 on: December 31, 2013, 06:14:20 PM

Still mostly just playing Arcanum.  This game would be truly something with a less shitty combat/character design and perhaps some QOL improvements.  It just takes so long to play.  Still, it's interesting, and I was able to side step one of the shitty dungeons with some persuasion.   Whoever designed the golems in this game is a giant jerk.

Kind of taking a break from Guild Wars 2.  Playing feels like an obligation at the moment, and the guild/server seems to be taking a serious break for the holidays.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8377 on: December 31, 2013, 08:06:12 PM

Just finished up XCOM for the first time; game was a blast. Not sure what to fire up next; maybe How To Train Your Princess.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8378 on: December 31, 2013, 08:39:59 PM

maybe How To Train Your Princess.

I almost picked that up on the Steam sale.  It's begging for a radicalathon.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #8379 on: December 31, 2013, 08:43:28 PM

Rogue Legacy still (I ordered a controller) and I really like the pixel art so fuck all y'all.
Played a bunch of XCOM:EW when I was at the inlaws house in attempts to avoid conversation (success!) and am of course still playing GW2.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8380 on: January 01, 2014, 02:02:12 AM

You mean like this?

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22265.0
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8381 on: January 01, 2014, 08:25:07 AM

You mean like this?

http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=22265.0

That's awesome. I didn't realize the game had been out for more than a year.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8382 on: January 01, 2014, 10:54:20 AM

Ha, I'd thought he did that with a different Princess game. Good enough, now I don't have to buy it!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #8383 on: January 02, 2014, 04:07:20 AM

I've been playing the shit out of Long live the queen the last few days.  Had no idea it existed.  It's fun...but..it feels like more of an optimization game than princess maker did though.  I replay not to get a general vibe of possibilities, but to play a math puzzle of 'must get x skill to y rank by z time), times 3 or 4.  It's still cool but I feel like it's a bit disappointing. 
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8384 on: January 02, 2014, 12:53:22 PM

I needed to find a game that I could play remotely (streamed from my home pc across the internet), thus I needed a turn based game (latency over teh internet actually isn't terrible, but definitely can't play anything actiony with it).

I thought I'd try Blood Bowl since I always see the forum lit up with praise.  Went through the tutorial and seemed interesting enough.  Then played through two matches and got completely curb stomped.  I don't think I'm going to have the patience to figure out how to not suck at this game.

Got Magic 2014 in the steam sale, that'll probably be a good candidate for over the internet streamed gaming (and from initial tests it seems to work well with touch controls).
Bann
Terracotta Army

Reply #8385 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:00 PM

I needed to find a game that I could play remotely (streamed from my home pc across the internet), thus I needed a turn based game (latency over teh internet actually isn't terrible, but definitely can't play anything actiony with it).

I thought I'd try Blood Bowl since I always see the forum lit up with praise.  Went through the tutorial and seemed interesting enough.  Then played through two matches and got completely curb stomped.  I don't think I'm going to have the patience to figure out how to not suck at this game.

Got Magic 2014 in the steam sale, that'll probably be a good candidate for over the internet streamed gaming (and from initial tests it seems to work well with touch controls).

Dominions IV

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #8386 on: January 02, 2014, 03:54:50 PM

It's actually pretty simple, once you figure out like two or three basic rules.  It's just that the in-game tutorial is extremely bad at explaining the mechanics, focusing more on "right click to move" stuff IIRC.  If you want, I can do a write up or something, I'm pretty bad at the game but I think I can explain the basics at least.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8387 on: January 02, 2014, 04:01:13 PM

It's actually pretty simple, once you figure out like two or three basic rules.  It's just that the in-game tutorial is extremely bad at explaining the mechanics, focusing more on "right click to move" stuff IIRC.  If you want, I can do a write up or something, I'm pretty bad at the game but I think I can explain the basics at least.
This would be useful. The tutorial is abhorrent. I tried to get some friends to play it and they were like "nahhhh."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8388 on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:35 PM

In the meantime you could check out:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310002_BB_Complete_Blood_Bowl_Rulebook.pdf

This is the ruleset the game implements, and barring a lot of missing star players, it's pretty much implemented correctly. You can skip all the shit about special play cards.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #8389 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:00 PM

I downloaded the demo for Bravely Default on the 3DS today, played about ten minutes of it, and promptly pre-ordered it. I almost never pre-order.

It's extremely good.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8390 on: January 02, 2014, 04:57:39 PM

That would be pretty awesome.  I saw the rulebook already (and it was linked in the BB resources sticky) but that seemed a lot to read and go through just to figure out some basic things, like (on my 2nd playthrough) the other team kicked off and I failed 3 ball pickups in a row (like seriously, no one was next to me, my guy with sure hands walked up and dropped it, then did it 3 times).  Since I got curb stomped earlier I figured it wasn't just extremely bad luck and probably something core that I'm missing.

Looks good, I'll definitely bookmark it.  However, my game backlog has made me cheap so $35 is more than my threashold for games these days.  I'll definitely look out for sales though :)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8391 on: January 02, 2014, 06:08:04 PM

Unthreatened ball pickups with an agility 3 player are a 3+ roll on a six sided die, so its essentially 1 in 9 for a sure hands agi 3 guy to fail. You'll see it rather a lot honestly - it seems rare intuitively but if you made a move like that every turn you'll fail about twice a game. Having it happen 2 turns in a row isn't too strange. Blood bowl is essentially about doing things in the right order and standing in the right place - that's why I suggest keeping the rules handy, until you internalize the odds of different things happening.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #8392 on: January 02, 2014, 06:37:38 PM

Dominions IV

http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions

Ah shit, there's a fourth one now? is it way better?

I am the .00000001428%
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #8393 on: January 03, 2014, 02:16:16 AM

Metro Last Light. This series is just fantastic, love everything about it.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #8394 on: January 03, 2014, 02:45:33 AM

I tried playing Last Light, but it's so painfully scripted that it's not fun to play anymore. It feels too much like a Potemkin village. 

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #8395 on: January 03, 2014, 02:59:34 AM

I haven't finished it yet but seems as scripted as the first chapter to me, which I totally loved. I mean, do you suffer the lack of freedom or something else in particular here? I love open games, but old school First Person Shooters have the tendency to slam you into one giant tunnel and have you fight your way out of it. And by all means there's nothing wrong with giant tunnels when they are this beautifully crafted.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #8396 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:20 AM

I did find Last Light to be enjoyable.  I haven't played 2033 yet though (I got LL free with my graphics card, and by the time i decided to try 2033 I needed a break from FPS games).
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8397 on: January 03, 2014, 10:21:05 AM

I downloaded the demo for Bravely Default on the 3DS today, played about ten minutes of it, and promptly pre-ordered it. I almost never pre-order.

It's extremely good.

Yep.  This demo gave me nerd shivers when I looked through the jobs.  It's a really smart demo; collect stuff to port into the base game, but the story presented isn't part of the base game. 
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8398 on: January 03, 2014, 05:04:23 PM

Currently playing the "Should I dump $2k into a new rig?" game. I'm not making a lot of progress.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #8399 on: January 03, 2014, 05:35:20 PM

I thought you bought a laptop?
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: