Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 04:58:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Someone bribe Konami to bring this to the US. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone bribe Konami to bring this to the US.  (Read 2088 times)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

on: April 03, 2008, 11:00:54 PM

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25281.html

Time Hollow. The art-style is pretty typical, but I crave more adventure titles for my DS and this one is pretty cool from both the trailer and the little I've been able to play it in Japanese.

Short version: Time Travel Pen.

With the Phoenix Wright series probably being donewith (ditto on DS castlevanias) and me not liking Hotel Dusk or the Professor "Matchsteek" Layton I need a reason to turn my DS on again.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:27 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if that came over.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:05:02 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if that came over.
I'm never sure on these games with walls of text since that localization stuff isn't easy nor cheap. That and it's not a title about raising cute pets or a bejeweled ripoff so the marketability is questionable.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:08:19 PM

I'd like to play this too. Didn't realize localization wasn't easy/cheap (relatively speaking, I mean.. everything about games seems hard to do).
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 11:15:59 PM

I'd like to play this too. Didn't realize localization wasn't easy/cheap (relatively speaking, I mean.. everything about games seems hard to do).
Well, GOOD localization anyway. Making everything make sense in English is tougher than just making sure the story comes out right. You have to interpret slang, politeness levels, and more annoyingly find ways to translate puns, jokes, and any conversation that relies on the Japanese language phonetically. dozens of jokes about curry or a gag about someone's name meaning something silly when written or pronounced some way in Japanese don't really make a whole lot of sense to anyone who isn't Japanese.

A good example is Phoenix Wright. There's a retarded amount of name-related puns that only make sense in Japanese. Phoenix's Japanese name I can't recall can be interpreted literally as the phrase, "Oh, I see" if I recall correctly. Also there's a part in one of the game's cases where you have to figure out what name someone wrote on a jar in blood. Now you have to change graphics and find a way to put that name on there in English and have the puzzle work the same way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:25:46 PM by Fabricated »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 07:01:04 PM

Shin-chan solves that by just changing the jokes entirely. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:00:09 AM

I think Moe Moe Niji Taisen (Ryaku) Deluxe should be converted, if only to see the press reaction to refighting WW2 using cute girls dressed up as military hardware.  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Shin-chan solves that by just changing the jokes entirely. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well, the cartoon version did.  The comic looked to have kept the jokes as close to the original as possible, especially in later volumes.  I still found it amusing and funny.

And any game with the hated "moe" in the title needs to not only stay in Japan, but be forceably shoved up the creator and any sick  this guy looks legit 's ass sideways till they stop being creepy fucks.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Someone bribe Konami to bring this to the US.  
Jump to: