Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 06:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: New Features up on Test Server 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Features up on Test Server  (Read 6393 times)
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

on: June 16, 2004, 10:21:44 AM

Details within

Two digs at it:

1) Oh, so they're rolling the partial rollback of the higher level difficulty changes into the new Features patch.   We needed them prior to last weekend, dammit.

2) Oh goodie, let me create a brand new test server character so I can start grinding in order to test out that higher level content for them.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:34:54 AM

Quote from: City of Heroes Update
Known Issues for this Patch:
• Villains can attack through prison doors and enter your cell.
• After deleting a character, the keyboard does not work when you log in.
• Players who logged out in the Outbreak zone may find themselves in the Rikti Crash Site when they log back in.
• Dark Servant power (Player and NPC) looks like a Mek Man model.
• Malta Gunslinger animation is missing a weapon.

This won't end well.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 11:28:47 AM

This bit:

"Players who logged out in the Outbreak zone may find themselves in the Rikti Crash Site when they log back in."

looks like it might be a good laugh.  hehe.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 12:06:41 PM

What a bunch of pessimistic fuckers!

There's a lot of cool stuff in there imo. I'm not sure what all the bitching about the level spread is, I just ran through a task force which was half purple and I was just fine (well, I died twice, but I expected to, being the lowbie). Minions were red.

I wouldn't mind it being a little wider of a spread, but I'm completely missing where it's a problem, I must not be playing the game right, I guess ;)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 01:36:39 PM

I have yet to see where the higher level villain change was a problem.

Added a Critical Hit (small % change to do double damage) to ALL Scrapper Primary attack powers. Existing scrapper powers that already had critical hit damage have a higher success chance than other powers.

Oooooooooooooooohhhhh, I'm all a flutter.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 01:56:52 PM

My blaster's useless now that Hammy has critical hits!!@@!@1
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 02:12:29 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich

2) Oh goodie, let me create a brand new test server character so I can start grinding in order to test out that higher level content for them.

Silly Geld, sometimes, actually reading the official boards is a GOOD THING.

Character Copy Tool

So far, the only problem with the character copy tool is that it doesent carry over your Influence, but this is easily solvable by taking a couple of SO's with you and selling them. (I still have a bunch of 30+ SO drops on my character from running bastion, which netted me enough Inf to do a near full costume overhaul at the tailors.)

On In other news:

Ublemann and the Unnatural Order story arcs were nolonger giving me "internal error" messages on test, which means I am free to once again beging catassing my way to 50 when the update goes live. (And the Ubleman Souvenier is probably the single coolest souviner I have seen in game yet)

A bunch of  new emotes are in, including /em boombox (your own personal radio, with music) /em dance (the motion capture is freaky), as well as one that has you holding up score cards for judging purposes.

The tailors are pretty cool (you can unlock up to 3 different instant swap uniform changes by doing quests at level 20, 30, 40), but expect to spend about 100k-150K influence to do a complete and total costume overhaul.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 05:37:01 PM

At levels 20, 30 and 40, you can earn extra costume slots by performing tasks for Icon’s tailors. Now you can customize your look on a daily basis!

Does this mean, at these levels you can get a second, third and fourth costum, and change it when you feel like it. Kind of like the super grouo costum change?
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 05:38:45 PM

At level 40 they should give you a street style costume, so that you can be all like Clark Kent up in that hizzouse. And a personal phone booth.

Or not.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2004, 07:45:31 PM

Quote from: SurfD
Quote from: geldonyetich

Silly Geld, sometimes, actually reading the official boards is a GOOD THING.

Character Copy Tool

Oh, I knew they were planning on doing this but I didn't know they had done it yet.

Still not nearly high enough leveled to test out the 40-50ish content.  Ah well, that's what those folks who rushed to hit level 40 with questionable power use can do for us.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 08:10:34 PM

Quote from: schild
At level 40 they should give you a street style costume, so that you can be all like Clark Kent up in that hizzouse. And a personal phone booth.

If you have multiple costume slots why can't you just have one of them be Blue Jeans and T-Shirt, or Nice Suit and Hat?

Am I missing something or are you being brain dead?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 11:03:36 PM

Yes, the way the costume thing works is like follows:

You have 4 costume slots total.
- You start with one, which is your costume chosen at character creation
- At level 20, you can go talk to the special Icon store representative for that level (in this case, a guy called Serge in the North West part of Steel Canyon) and he will give you a task.  Complete the task, and you unlock your second slot.
- With the second slot available, you then talk to a tailor.  It copies your origional costume into the slot, and then you pay the tailor for any modifications you want to make (so yes, if you wanted to, you could set your second slot to be a "street clothes" appearence, or a completely different hero costume)
- You can repeat the process at level 30 and 40 at the other tailor stores (level 30 is in IP, just west of the Kings Row underpass. and level 40 is somewhere in Founders Falls, but I dont know where)

Switching between costumes is done by either opening the costume tab from your options menu, or using a / command (/costume_change, or /cc I believe).

My only gripe about this is having people with wildly different costumes, meaning familiar faces become REALLY hard to recognise.  I would have gone with maybe 3 slots, rather then 4, but it isnt really that much of a big deal.

(and dont even get me started on the number of people who are going to have a bind key set up to make their DBZ ripoff character go super sayain every time they execute a particular power)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 06:25:40 AM

- At level 20, you can go talk to the special Icon store representative for that level (in this case, a guy called Serge in the North West part of Steel Canyon) and he will give you a task.  Complete the task, and you unlock your second slot.

Serge?  Our fashion consultant is named Serge?  Does his task involved nudity, barnyard animals, or both?  Who knew a spandex g-string would be so expensive...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 06:51:14 AM

Quote from: Murgos

If you have multiple costume slots why can't you just have one of them be Blue Jeans and T-Shirt, or Nice Suit and Hat?

Am I missing something or are you being brain dead?

I meant like an entirely altered persona. Like you can't fight crime in your street clothes or enter instanced missions, but monsters won't aggro you either. Give the world a more social feel to it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 08:07:42 AM

A more social feel to the game would be nice.  First, however, they need to give people some social things to do.  Although I don't resent having spent money on CoH... I think it was well worth the fun I had... it just didn't last very long.  I still really like the combat, don't get me wrong, but I think I need more than that.  You people know me... I can beatemup with the best of them, but I'm also a bit of a social creature and simple chat just isn't enough.

I thought that this game would feed my violent tendancies and I could use another game to sate my social side.  I was mistaken.  I want it all, in one game.  Maybe I'll resub again when there's more to do.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 09:56:38 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin

Serge?  Our fashion consultant is named Serge?  Does his task involved nudity, barnyard animals, or both?  Who knew a spandex g-string would be so expensive...

Xilren

It's kinda funny since Serge was the name of the dude with the gun boutique in Beverly Hills Cop 2.

Why I remember this bit of trivia while I should be studying for the bar exam escapes me, but there it is.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 10:09:24 AM

Cousin Balky!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 10:13:24 AM

Perfect Strangers.

Best. Show. Ever. (well at least in the top 50.)
WayAbvPar

Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 10:56:27 AM

Perfect Strangers.

Best. Show. Ever. (well at least in the top 50.)

I couldn't disagree more. I STILL can't stand the sight of Bronson Pinchot strictly because of his involvement in that debacle. His presence almost ruined True Romance for me, but the fact that he played a whining, blubbering pussy saved it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 10:59:11 AM

heh, you couldn't disagree more? Comeon, I put it in the top 50. I can't even think of 15 shows I really like, let alone FIFTY shows I like. But goddamn I loved him in the Beverly Hills Cop series.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 18, 2004, 05:27:27 PM

114 Mb.

How many other games would be brave enough to have an ordinary content patch weigh 114Mb.

DAoC would insist on calling 114Mb a 'free expansion'.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2004, 05:31:33 PM

Just think of it as 114 megs that should have been included in the original game.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 19, 2004, 01:49:29 AM

Just think of it as 114 megs that should have been included in the original game.

Well, if you want to perpetually delay a game because there is ALWAYS some feature that "should have been included in the original game".

But in the real world you need to ship sometime and start earning money off the creation.

(E.g. Thief 3: There are tons of features there that weren't in the first Thief title. Why not? All it would have taken was a three-year delay. Perhaps 3D Realms are on to something with Duke Nukem Forever? When it ships it will probably be feature complete.)

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 05:02:59 AM

I will say I thought the first patch was really too big for a MMOG for 56Kers (taking up to 8 hours to download), even with the pre-download scheme they cooked up.  But it seems like indeed all of that is NEW stuff, not resending of old data, so that's a lot of content they've added.  So much so, perhaps they should have broken it into two different updates.

Bruce
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 19, 2004, 08:54:03 PM

Well they added 3+ totally new tilesets in addtion to I think 2 or 3 new gang types with all associated graphics needed for that so there is indeed a lot of brand new data needed for the new patch.

Kaid
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: New Features up on Test Server  
Jump to: