Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:55:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  (Read 624655 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: October 23, 2008, 01:59:10 PM

Wait... Isn't Warhammer lore just a big rip off of Warcraft?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #701 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:14 PM

"It's not a worthless IP, it's big in Europe!"

That never gets old.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #702 on: October 23, 2008, 02:12:46 PM

I assumed that wasn't in green for extra effect.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #703 on: October 23, 2008, 02:13:00 PM

linky

Quote from: MarkJacobsEA
Folks,

Let's see, we've fixed the slowness of the mail system, put in another round of open RvR changes and have more stuff coming. We've been working on changing healer renown and experience based on feedback and I've been looking into some of the class balance stuff that's been brought up as well. Yep, I've been ignoring the Vault all right!  

Mark

Can't say I care about that much about class balance (except that magus/engineer mass pull ability), hopefully something incoming to reduce the level grind.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #704 on: October 23, 2008, 02:14:23 PM

What is this, the passive-aggressive school of PR?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #705 on: October 23, 2008, 02:16:21 PM

Mark has always been a bit of a bitch.

God Save the Horn Players
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #706 on: October 23, 2008, 02:17:07 PM

Well there's a link to the thread there so you can decide that on the context if you want.

linky

Folks,

Over the last few weeks the team has implementing a transfer system to allow both players and guilds to move between our servers. This technology was not available for WAR at launch and building it has proven to be a little more complex than originally expected. I’m happy to say that starting next week we will begin public testing of the service and if things go well, we will be able to offer it free to our players (for a limited time) either next week or the week after that. I apologize for the delay in making this service available but again, it did take a little longer than we originally expected.

We will be posting details next week about the public test and then the parameters for the free service.

Mark
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #707 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:04 PM

It will be interesting to see if the effect is to cause people to pile on to already populated 'winning' realms. There was a bit of that when WoW first implemented the go-anywhere transfers (not the specific Server X->Server Y ones), I seem to recall?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: October 23, 2008, 02:22:46 PM

Well, this might work.  Everyone transfer to the popular servers, and we can merge servers on our own.  I sure as hell am getting off of ulthuan and on to one of the most popular servers if they give me the option.  I'd rather have a 30 minute queue and have fun when I play rather than play in a ghost-server.
schild
Administrator

Reply #709 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:15 PM

That is... very clever.
Sanvar

Email
Reply #710 on: October 23, 2008, 02:23:44 PM

New to this site
--
Sanvar Soulblight
Marauder of Drifting Castle

Obviously.
--
Schild
Your Lord and Master
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:49:15 PM by schild »
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #711 on: October 23, 2008, 02:25:45 PM

Bat Country is fucked then

"Me am play gods"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #712 on: October 23, 2008, 02:28:29 PM

Sanvar Soulblight

How, exactly, does your castle drift?
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: October 23, 2008, 02:29:21 PM

Bat Country is fucked then

Well, if Ulthuan is allowed to transfer to higher pop servers, it's pretty much assumed that everyone is going to leave.  

So, bat country will simply move to a different server.  Where's the problem?

What I'm worried about is that Ulthuan will be designated a medium pop server, thus no transfers will be allowed off of it, and since we're aren't high population no one will transfer on to it, leaving us in ghost-server land still.
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: October 23, 2008, 02:31:03 PM

Wouldn't the faster and more effective solution be to just merge servers ?

In essence that's what they are doing by sounding the death knell for low pop ones currently , if they are afraid of bad press for that what are they going to do once everyone abandons ship on the low pop ones , leave them open just to be able to say they havent shrunk in subs at all ?
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #715 on: October 23, 2008, 02:33:34 PM

Folks,

Over the last few weeks the team has implementing a transfer system to allow both players and guilds to move between our servers. This technology was not available for WAR at launch and building it has proven to be a little more complex than originally expected. I’m happy to say that starting next week we will begin public testing of the service and if things go well, we will be able to offer it free to our players (for a limited time) either next week or the week after that. I apologize for the delay in making this service available but again, it did take a little longer than we originally expected.

We will be posting details next week about the public test and then the parameters for the free service.

Mark

Well, if transfers from Ulthuan are allowed and the bold bit is accurate can't BC just move en masse?

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #716 on: October 23, 2008, 02:35:42 PM

What is this, the passive-aggressive school of PR?

Anyone getting the feeling that pretty soon now we'll be seeing Mark go the way of Gaute?

Maybe when Lord British gets his head out of the clouds they can start a new MMO company together.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #717 on: October 23, 2008, 02:37:45 PM

What I'm worried about is that Ulthuan will be designated a medium pop server, thus no transfers will be allowed off of it, and since we're aren't high population no one will transfer on to it, leaving us in ghost-server land still.

I for one welcome our ghost-server overlords... or something.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #718 on: October 23, 2008, 02:38:38 PM

If the transfer is quick and easy I don't see the reason for any restrictions on it at all.  If everybody piles on the same server, they will just get pissed off by the queue and transfer somewhere else anyway.  

Again, if the transfer is quick and easy, this will let them experiment with different server types on the very low population ones without much negative reaction.  I wouldn't like to play on a "no scenario" server because I like the odd scenario, but I wouldn't mind playing on a server that had scenarios deactivated at the weekends.

Edit:typo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:48:03 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #719 on: October 23, 2008, 02:39:01 PM

well I prefer server transfers to server mergers

gives us players more choice. For example, I'm hoping my guild will end up wherever another guild I like ends up. Stuff like that.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #720 on: October 23, 2008, 02:40:19 PM

Really Mythic is going allow me to force everyone in BC to switch servers?

More likely they are going to allow me to move the Bat Country tag and guild rank to a new server so we don't have start over.

"Me am play gods"
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #721 on: October 23, 2008, 02:43:32 PM

best thing is if they use that cloning system they used before

so I can have my characters on multiple servers  awesome, for real
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #722 on: October 23, 2008, 02:45:56 PM

Make them timestaking, like collecting 100 pieces of wood, with random spawns of wood all around the RVR area (outside the safety of the keep).  Have a wood pile inside the keep with a mouse-over signifying turn in progress:  100 of 1500 needed.  Each player could do the quest once (per cycle), encouraging more players to come and collect the damn wood. 

I can endlessly play with my wood without WAR.  Makes DAOC crafting sound fun by comparison (your wood quest, not playing with my wood).
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: October 23, 2008, 02:50:51 PM

I loved DAoC crafting.  Buy stacks of materials, start macro program, go to bed.  It was perfect. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: October 23, 2008, 02:55:09 PM

See I actually pressed a button and waited for the ding like a sucker.  Got a lot of reading done though.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: October 23, 2008, 03:09:46 PM

Sanvar Soulblight

Laputa

Over and out.
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #726 on: October 23, 2008, 03:23:28 PM

When Mark previously discussed server transfers he mentioned they would work similar to how they work in WoW.  In other words, only designated servers will be allowed to transfer, and you'll only be allowed to transfer to servers designated by Mythic.

most often known as Drevik
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #727 on: October 23, 2008, 03:29:05 PM

When Mark previously discussed server transfers he mentioned they would work similar to how they work in WoW.  In other words, only designated servers will be allowed to transfer, and you'll only be allowed to transfer to servers designated by Mythic.

You have a link to the exact quote?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #728 on: October 23, 2008, 03:36:49 PM

You have a link to the exact quote?

I fail at finding the link, but I also remember the quote.

Some thing like "We want to offer people the opportunity to transfer from Low pop servers to medium population ones. We also would like to offer people on high pop servers to also transfer to medium population ones."
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #729 on: October 23, 2008, 03:45:39 PM

linky

Other changes for 1.1 include major additions to the chat system (item linking and more) as well as continued work on our targeting system, including adding Main Assist and Target of Target.  In addition to the server balancing methods that have worked so well over the last week, we will also be offering the first server transfers to our players to continue to help even out the server populations.  These transfers will be free of charge but they will be limited to moves off high-population servers to select mid-population servers or off of low-population servers to a selection of mid-population servers. Much like we are doing now, we will select certain mid-population servers and let people transfer there.  Once they reach a certain population level, we’ll remove them from the list and give their spot to another server.  We will publish the list ahead of time so players can plan their moves accordingly.

Yeah, I forgot about that, ignore my earlier comment.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:15 PM

Sanvar Soulblight

It's on an iceberg, obviously.

(It's not an outlier! The next ice age is coming!)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #731 on: October 23, 2008, 03:58:02 PM

linky

Other changes for 1.1 include major additions to the chat system (item linking and more) as well as continued work on our targeting system, including adding Main Assist and Target of Target.  In addition to the server balancing methods that have worked so well over the last week, we will also be offering the first server transfers to our players to continue to help even out the server populations.  These transfers will be free of charge but they will be limited to moves off high-population servers to select mid-population servers or off of low-population servers to a selection of mid-population servers. Much like we are doing now, we will select certain mid-population servers and let people transfer there.  Once they reach a certain population level, we’ll remove them from the list and give their spot to another server.  We will publish the list ahead of time so players can plan their moves accordingly.

Yeah, I forgot about that, ignore my earlier comment.

So their intent is for every server to be listed as medium population?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Vinadil
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: October 23, 2008, 04:04:47 PM

For end-game that is probably best... as their servers cannot handle high vs high come Tier 4.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: October 23, 2008, 04:53:42 PM

Mob

Me and my dolls are not amused.     DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: October 23, 2008, 05:36:30 PM

This allows them to avoid the bad PR of server merges mere months after a hugely hyped launch. Nobody ever says "server merges = successful business". Even when it actually improves the game, it really is only needed a) when you rapidly lose population; or, b) over estimated the popularity of your game.

So here, they can allow players to chase population themselves, watch some servers clear out, eventually not allow new players to make characters on those servers, and then slowly and silently phase them out.

Win win. Gives players the option to find the action at all tiers (instead of just the cap) and allows Mythic to avoid bad press until people calm the hell down.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: State of The Game - Mark Jacobs  
Jump to: