Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 11:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Team Fortress 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 180772 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: September 27, 2007, 04:30:13 PM

Mine won't launch! I get past the valve screen to the "Loading" screen w/ the medic, spy and heavy weapons guy on it...then it just minimizes, disappears, and I am back on my desktop....

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: September 27, 2007, 05:05:53 PM

Mine won't launch! I get past the valve screen to the "Loading" screen w/ the medic, spy and heavy weapons guy on it...then it just minimizes, disappears, and I am back on my desktop....

It did that too more me at first.  I reinstalled my video card drivers and it made it so I didn't even get to the loading screen  :D

After reinstalls of directx, video card driver (a few times, different ones), and sound and motherboard drivers I was eventually able to play and perform at the mediocre level i have now grown accustomed to.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #282 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:22 PM

Dear Valve:

MORE ACHIEVEMENTS PLZ KTHX

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: September 27, 2007, 11:15:54 PM

I'm enjoying this.

I'm very, very bad at the game -- I have never once felt like I was effectively assisting my team -- but just as soon as I think I can't bear the humiliation any longer, everything crashes and I have to hard reboot. It's all so profoundly cathartic. Thank you, Valve.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
schild
Administrator

Reply #284 on: September 27, 2007, 11:57:04 PM

TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: September 28, 2007, 03:42:19 PM

I'm getting too old, as well had a too long hiatus from multiplayer FPS. Result: Reflexes fucked. Sometimes I don't even know what the fuck in the action.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #286 on: September 29, 2007, 01:05:46 AM

The pyro got a tremendous buff in the last patch.   shocked  Meeting one at flamethrower range is pretty much guaranteed death now.  And flamethrower range is about double what it was.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #287 on: September 29, 2007, 05:16:59 AM

The pyro got a tremendous buff in the last patch.   shocked  Meeting one at flamethrower range is pretty much guaranteed death now.  And flamethrower range is about double what it was.

These daily adjustment/balance patches are fun:

"I'll pick pyro for balance to offset our 3:2 advantage."
"Auuugh. It burns!  It burns!"

- Q
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #288 on: September 29, 2007, 06:48:04 AM

This may seem obvious, but water is your friend versus pyros.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #289 on: September 29, 2007, 11:22:32 AM

New item in the next patch: a bucket of water.

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #290 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:48 PM

Wow this game is fun and boy do i suck. After a several year hiatus from playing any sort of FPS of this sort online other than more tactical shooters, my reflexes are terrible. But soo much fun. The worst part of the game is trying to decide which class to play on any given map/team. So many fun toys to choose from. Loving the scout, sniper and spy best so far, although demo is good fun too. Can't seem to get the hang of the soldier though, anything I can do with them I can usually do better with a different class. Have yet to try pyro's or medics, but they're on the list for tonight.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
lesion

Reply #291 on: September 29, 2007, 01:50:18 PM

pyro's a bit like sucking on rust-coated candy. delicious!

steam|a grue \[T]/
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: September 29, 2007, 04:33:15 PM

I do think they should give the medic either a bucket of water or a fire extinguisher. Some maps are rather lacking in the water department.
Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: September 29, 2007, 06:56:24 PM

Anybody is able to accomplish anything with the scout?  I like speed and dogfight, so I've been practicing allot with the scout.  I can't manage anything else than scavenging the weak.  I can rack much more point with other class.  Hell, everytime I see a scout opponent I'm thinking free frag.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:35:30 PM by Mr. Right »
schild
Administrator

Reply #294 on: September 29, 2007, 07:03:51 PM

Scouts are about winning levels quickly.
lesion

Reply #295 on: September 29, 2007, 08:07:14 PM

and being quick...quickly. I usually can't keep up when scouts really use their mobility rather than simply being fast. double-jumping on some guy's head and shooting him in the brain with the scattergun is not healthy. it's also good for tagging medics with heavies and generally pissing people off when they're busy with big scary problems like turrets or soldiers/demomen.

steam|a grue \[T]/
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: September 29, 2007, 09:10:16 PM

Scouts are also pretty good at sneaking up on snipers with a baseball bat.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: September 29, 2007, 09:14:40 PM

Its all about the bat.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: September 30, 2007, 03:42:55 AM

Anybody is able to accomplish anything with the scout?  I like speed and dogfight, so I've been practicing allot with the scout.  I can't manage anything else than scavenging the weak.  I can rack much more point with other class.  Hell, everytime I see a scout opponent I'm thinking free frag.

You probably just haven't been drinking enough coffee.

That, and I gather you really have to use the mobility to surprise people. When scouts coming running directly at me from range, they usually lose no matter how much stupid ass jinking about and double jumping they do. But good scout players have an annoying habit of spotting opportunities to get close before I see them.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: September 30, 2007, 07:38:56 AM

Though I agree that scouts just dont have the staying/destruction power to rack up a ton of points. I play them a lot and my best is like 5 points.

Mr. Right
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: September 30, 2007, 08:51:45 AM

Though I agree that scouts just don't have the staying/destruction power to rack up a ton of points. I play them a lot and my best is like 5 points.

Sums it up for me.  I do sneak up from behind, patrol from health pack to health pack and hunt spies.  The problem is that I can never rack allot of points.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: September 30, 2007, 12:38:33 PM

After tooling around with the spy a bit, I can safely say that kiddie forum flames virtually ensure they get nerfed.  Its either going to be a shimmer, or special goggles for engineers or scouts that see through disguises and cloaks. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #302 on: September 30, 2007, 03:05:26 PM

I love the scout - I have almost twice the playtime on it than my next-most-used class and I think my stats record is 12 points. There's a bunch of different strategies you can use to be effective. They boil down to "avoid enemy, flank enemy, hit with bat, take points/secret crap".

Never attack someone head-on if you can avoid it. Any other class can outgun you, even a SMG-using sniper. You have to flank or get behind people to effectively attack them. Watch where the main flow of battle is. Most people will only look at the big cluster of enemies in front of them, and in many levels you can swing wide and come in behind them. The "best" thing to do is charge in to point-blank and issue a shotgun blast or two to the back. Me, I prefer to bonk people with the bat while screaming "I'M BATMAN" into the mic.

Don't run into the big fight. Seriously, just don't. Focus on getting past the front lines, scoping out the defenses, and capping points behind enemy lines. This is particularly effective on Granary - slip past the front-lines when your team holds the middle and cap the next two points. If the enemy has serious defenses, this is less viable, but it works surprisingly often. This is also good on Well - if your team is about to assault the 2nd-to-last point, try to get to the final point and hide there. If your team manages to cap the second-to-last, you can dart in and cap the final point in a matter of seconds.

And never. Never ever. Never ever ever stop moving. Even if you're alone at a cap point, you never know when someone's drawing a bead on your ass.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #303 on: September 30, 2007, 03:12:29 PM

I got the game and like the medic on the full maps.  I usually follow and ubercharge a heavy, demo, soldier, or pyro if I can, especially if I can keep you at long range.

I miss the vehicles...nothing is more satisfying than running over someone  :-D
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: September 30, 2007, 05:40:15 PM

Even though I can't play on my computer, I've played on a friends...and I have to say I love the strategic depth of the Spy.  Its all about picking both the correct disguise and, somewhat counter-intuitively, PASSING UP KILLS.  You have to know when passing up the one backstab will lead you to four or five backstabs, and cannot be nervous about moving in a whole crowd of enemies for awhile or waiting 30 seconds for all of them to be in the perfect configuration.

Even though this isn't a BF1942 type game, it reminds me of that game.  What I lack in omgwtf cocainetwitchbunny skills I make up for in tactical thinking.   

hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #305 on: September 30, 2007, 06:59:59 PM

I have to agree with the BF2 Deja Vu. A 32 player server is battle of Kirkland all over again. But with bunny hopping and dolphin diving not working. Was pubbing today so changed my handle as I did not want the world to know [f13] was the land of uber mad skills...well...or something. And ended up back on the F13 server so if you see Applebutterforbrains give him a wave or a bullet to the brain as you see fit.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #306 on: September 30, 2007, 07:13:40 PM

Bunny hopping doesn't work?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #307 on: September 30, 2007, 08:51:12 PM

And ended up back on the F13 server so if you see Applebutterforbrains give him a wave or a bullet to the brain as you see fit.

I gave him a rocket!

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #308 on: October 01, 2007, 02:26:17 AM

I don't think I'm playing again until they fix the pyro and demo. Shit is ALL fucked up right now.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #309 on: October 01, 2007, 04:52:47 AM

I don't think I'm playing again until they fix the pyro and demo. Shit is ALL fucked up right now.

Huh?
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: October 01, 2007, 05:06:36 AM

Let me guess on this one- there are places, where if the demo/pyro has a dispenser, that they can shoot a continuous gout of flame/rockets and completely lock down a chokepoint. 

schild
Administrator

Reply #311 on: October 01, 2007, 05:55:44 AM

Uh. No. They overbuffed them and now everyones a pyro.

It's the flavor of the week. And it's not particularly fun to play against. Pyros can nearly completely lock down Dust Bowl on their own now. Don't even get started on the stairwells in 2Fort.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: October 01, 2007, 05:59:36 AM

No it's not. The Pyro is finally useful and can still be easily owned, except that it can actually make more than occasional kills and a lot of assists.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
schild
Administrator

Reply #313 on: October 01, 2007, 06:04:25 AM

No it's not. The Pyro is finally useful and can still be easily owned, except that it can actually make more than occasional kills and a lot of assists.
Jigglypuff and I played a game against a bunch of scrubs we should have outright owned.

Except they had 4-5 Pyros at all times. Pyros are a spy-detecting hallway clearing tool, not the frontline monster they're being used as right now.They're more effective than scouts and rocketmen now. That's a problem.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #314 on: October 01, 2007, 06:46:50 AM

Jigglypuff and I played a game against a bunch of scrubs we should have outright owned.

Except they had 4-5 Pyros at all times. Pyros are a spy-detecting hallway clearing tool, not the frontline monster they're being used as right now.They're more effective than scouts and rocketmen now. That's a problem.

Don't they fall over pretty easily still?  I definitely felt more effective as a pyro post-patch, but certainly not unstoppable by any means.  I'm pretty lousy at this stuff though, so maybe in the hands of somebody more skilled they're more troublesome?

- Q
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: Team Fortress 2  
Jump to: