Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity)  (Read 77833 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: April 16, 2010, 09:40:40 PM

They'll make Tier armor as ugly as sin so as to encourage people to buy the new cool appearance tab social armor.  Oh wait, they already do...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: April 17, 2010, 04:01:54 AM

But my other, lower-level characters, I can be lazy and never bother with buying or upgrading mounts and just tool around on the star horse.  Looks nifty, is convenient, good enough for $25.

You realize what you're saying here is that getting around in WOW is a pain in the ass and rather than make it easier and thus make the game better Blizzard is instead happy to sell you a basic game improvement for $25.

Man I hate this kind of shit. Developers fixing design problems with paid content is a joke. The fact that "convenience" is a selling point is pretty sad given that fun is largely the point of games.

I honestly can't believe how many people are willing to accept this sort of thing. At this rate I fully expect bug fixes to become DLC within a few years. If you read up on what Chinese and Korean devs are doing they constantly purposely make their games worse so they can upsell to DLC.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #177 on: April 17, 2010, 05:44:47 AM

At this rate I fully expect bug fixes to become DLC within a few years.

Business softwares are already doing this.  Autodesk will push out one, maybe two bug fix packages for their products then not touch it again when that year is over.  Want to fix that memory leak in ACA 2009?  Upgrade to 2010 or 2011.  Oh, you can't afford buying the software every year, of course not... so just sign up for the subscription plan at $600 a seat per year.  Convenient, right?! Look how we take care of you for such a small fee!  Ignore the part of the sub license that says you can't resell the software because you don't own it.

It's the way the whole software industry is moving. You own nothing but you pay out the nose for it or get a crippled version for a lesser charge.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: April 17, 2010, 06:26:12 AM

But my other, lower-level characters, I can be lazy and never bother with buying or upgrading mounts and just tool around on the star horse.  Looks nifty, is convenient, good enough for $25.

You realize what you're saying here is that getting around in WOW is a pain in the ass and rather than make it easier and thus make the game better Blizzard is instead happy to sell you a basic game improvement for $25.

Man I hate this kind of shit. Developers fixing design problems with paid content is a joke. The fact that "convenience" is a selling point is pretty sad given that fun is largely the point of games.

I honestly can't believe how many people are willing to accept this sort of thing. At this rate I fully expect bug fixes to become DLC within a few years. If you read up on what Chinese and Korean devs are doing they constantly purposely make their games worse so they can upsell to DLC.

Lol, yep seems completely clear that, internally, they aren't calling this the "Celestial Horse", rather they are calling it the "Trojan Horse".  Now that they have us hooked on a small/specific case for convenience they'll take us straight to charging for bug fixes.   What really sucks is that there's nothing we can do to stop them, say, like, canceling our accounts.

Did you put on your emo makeup and look in the mirror while you typed that?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: April 17, 2010, 11:30:27 AM

My problem is that they released what amounts to Horse Armor for half the price of a retail game product and at anywhere from 2x to 4x the normal cost of such DLC. But I'm looking at function over form. The steed is jewelry, nothing more. A total waste of cash except for those who want to impress their friends and without the ability to resell.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: April 17, 2010, 12:32:31 PM

There is a functional purpose to the Celestial Steed beyond saving your characters a maximum of 261 gold each.

If you have another 310%-speed mount, it works like the Big Love Rocket.  If you don't, it works like the Headless Horseman's Mount.

Both of these are rare seasonal drops and really aren't any more functional than just writing up your own mount macro (or using a mod).  Personally, I think it's gaudy, wouldn't consider purchasing it in a thousand years, and much prefer my current set-up of Rusted Proto-Drake / Grand Ice Mammoth / Small-Single-Seat-Epic-Ground-Mount-of-the-Week.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: April 17, 2010, 12:36:38 PM

In light of the knee-jerk crybaby bitching on this page, I thought the above deserved a repost.

Also, from Wowhead:

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: April 17, 2010, 12:53:41 PM

and make belieeeeeeve you!  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: April 17, 2010, 01:09:09 PM

And I now have a new avatar and desktop wallpaper.  Damn horse was good for something at least.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: April 17, 2010, 01:09:58 PM

I have the Headless Horseman's horse, and I still got the stupid star horse thing.  Why?  Well, I don't mean to ever use it on my character with the HHH, because it's going to wind up being much less common than the star horse.  But my other, lower-level characters, I can be lazy and never bother with buying or upgrading mounts and just tool around on the star horse.  Looks nifty, is convenient, good enough for $25.  When any character finds a better mount (for free), I'll just stop using the star horse on that character, easy.

But, the star horse only goes as fast as you highest mount, so you still have to get the riding skill and all that jazz.

Much like the Headless Horseman's mount from the Hallow's End event, the Celestial Steed will automatically upgrade in speed as the player advances in Riding skill. For example, the Celestial Steed will run at normal ground speed if the character knows Apprentice Riding, and epic ground speed with Journeyman Riding. The mount will be able to fly at normal flight speed with Expert Riding, and at epic flight speed with Artisan Riding. In addition, if the character has a 310%-speed flying mount in his or her collection, the Celestial Steed will also fly at 310% speed.

And riding skill is what costs most of the gold, not the mounts.

This is purely a cosmetic shell over any existing mounts you would have.  Which makes Margalis' post a bit odd, but hey, if you want to rage, rock out.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: April 17, 2010, 01:27:20 PM

The total cost saved per character is 161 - 128.8 gold total per character.  For the first three mount speeds (rare ground, epic ground, rare flying) it's 61 - 48.8 gold.  The value of a stack of level 30 herbs.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #186 on: April 17, 2010, 02:09:22 PM

If it's any consolation, WoW is probably one of the only games where there's a sizable enough amount of people that actually support this kind of thing.  These are the same people who will probably spend $100 on the Starcraft 2 collector's edition for the in-game WoW pet, even if they have no interest in Starcraft.

Point being, it's not like $25 horse armor is something that's in danger of catching on with other developers.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: April 17, 2010, 07:02:29 PM

Other devs try to make WoW.  Everyone is doing DLC out the wazoo.  What makes you think they're smart enough to realize only Blizzard can get away with $25 mounts?

Good for Blizzard for milking their player base for tens of millions on a reskin that probably took an afternoon, but this whole thing is surreal.

Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: April 17, 2010, 09:04:59 PM

I'm still stuck on the draenei in the comic. Ummm...what are they trying to say there?

My shaman has a purple dress like that somewhere...

More beer is clearly the answer.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: April 17, 2010, 09:28:21 PM

Lol, yep seems completely clear that, internally, they aren't calling this the "Celestial Horse", rather they are calling it the "Trojan Horse".  Now that they have us hooked on a small/specific case for convenience they'll take us straight to charging for bug fixes.   What really sucks is that there's nothing we can do to stop them, say, like, canceling our accounts.

I think you have to be quite naive to think that bug fixes won't soon be parceled with other DLC content. Just as now there is plenty of DLC that introduces new content bundled with basic obvious gameplay improvement like increased inventory space you can be pretty much 100% certain that at some point relatively soon some developer is going to release a content + bug fix paid package and claim that for some unexplainable technical reason the bug fix can only be included with the rest of the paid content.

Developers are already willing to sell DLC that fixes logical and gameplay problems, to think that they aren't willing to charge for fixes to technical issues seems silly.

You can say that at that point you'll cancel your account but we all know that if you're willing to pay $25 for an in-game My Little Pony you're probably willing to pay $5 to fix an issue with you character's hat not properly displaying.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: April 17, 2010, 09:36:11 PM

You guys really don't pay attention do you? What do you think cataclysm is besides new content? it's bug fixes and class revamping. It's what they did in both past expansions.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: April 17, 2010, 09:47:40 PM

Normally I'd go "HEY!", but this situation isn't as cut and dried as previous.

- There needs to be a distinction made between normal gamers and WoW gamers. What Blizzard is doing for WoW gamers wouldn't be as successful, if at all, if done by another game dev company with gamers. Another MMO dev is more likely to sell stuff that enhances their game. Look at every browser game ever.

- But what about Cataclysm? I would need to see the details but previous expansions always released a patch that put all the gameplay chnages to everyone and allowed people to not buy the expansion to benefit them. They'd just miss out on the content, the new classes... with that hanging over you, who WOULDN'T upgrade?

But with Cataclysm, they are revamping all the old worlds. Are they doing Classic / Caavlysm servers? Upgrading be ones almmost necessary at this point. But any bug fixes and other *critical* elements should be made available to all subscribing customers (note: the doomcasting is more spot-on with a game that doesn't require a subscription).

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #192 on: April 17, 2010, 09:53:30 PM

All the 1-60 cataclysm content is available whether you upgrade or not. Then it's off to Outland and Northrend, after which you need the expansion to do the 80-85 stuff. No 'classic' servers.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:08 PM

Other devs try to make WoW.  Everyone is doing DLC out the wazoo.  What makes you think they're smart enough to realize only Blizzard can get away with $25 mounts?

Good for Blizzard for milking their player base for tens of millions on a reskin that probably took an afternoon, but this whole thing is surreal.

Blizzard has been milking their player base for lots of things.  Be it the Race/Faction Changes, Server Transfers, Character Re-Customizations, or the TCG stuff.  Honestly, the Celestial Steed is just them cutting out the middle-man from the TCG loot card sales on eBay (with the added benefit to the player of making them account-wide instead of character-specific).

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #194 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:58 AM

You guys really don't pay attention do you? What do you think cataclysm is besides new content? it's bug fixes and class revamping. It's what they did in both past expansions.

Yes, if by "did in both" you mean "patched in before".
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #195 on: April 18, 2010, 01:26:21 AM

Because as you said, everyone is already getting involved in DLC and most of them have found out that it's hard to even sell a substantial amount of content for $25 let alone something thats largely cosmetic.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #196 on: April 18, 2010, 05:29:39 AM

Also, from Wowhead:

I don't really care if Blizzard sells silly shit to people who can't think of a better use for $25, in and of itself. Replace "$25" with "$15/month" and that pretty much describes their entire business plan. But the people behind this comic can feast on my succulent balls.

Ride smugly off into the sunset, little pedo-draenei, having stood up for your right to pay the price of some entire games for a bit of fluff like a good little sheep. Everyone who thinks this is a bad thing just wants to "ruin something awesome" because they "can't afford" twattery like this.

Then again what else would I expect from one of these bullshit goldseller-owned fansites?

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #197 on: April 18, 2010, 05:55:25 AM

I'm just marking everyone who bitches about it as "too old."   People pay $150 or more for Mafia Wars points on Facebook. Right now Mafia Wars is selling "limited edition" loot for 30-40 points.. it costs $10 to get 42 points.  Think about just how useless those particular items are, as they sit on a page doing nothing. 

It's a different generation of gamer, one who's already been brought up on paying for small bits and pieces of useless fluff.  I fully expect this to expand in to the 'pay for your loot' mechanic of the F2P games sooner rather than later.  Nothing to do about it except not play.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: April 18, 2010, 06:28:18 AM

Replace "$25" with "$15/month" and that pretty much describes their entire business plan.

This.  It's a business.  You don't HAVE to buy any of this shit.  If you don't like their business, you definitely have the option to go somewhere else. 

The horse is only worth the convenience when creating alts and the joy it brings you if you can taunt your friends with it.  Is that worth $25?  Not to me!

The QQs though, they are priceless.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: April 18, 2010, 07:35:16 AM

Ride smugly off into the sunset, little pedo-draenei, having stood up for your right to pay the price of some entire games for a bit of fluff like a good little sheep. Everyone who thinks this is a bad thing just wants to "ruin something awesome" because they "can't afford" twattery like this.
If it shot beams from its mouth and created rainbows it might be worth the money.  It's funny how they inflate it's value to justify its purchase. Grin

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: April 18, 2010, 09:37:58 AM

Remember AOL?  Remember gemstone?

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42:35 AM

If it shot beams from its mouth and created rainbows it might be worth the money.  It's funny how they inflate it's value to justify its purchase. Grin
Or, you know, it's a direct reference to Robot Unicorn Attack.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #202 on: April 18, 2010, 10:23:56 AM

Remember AOL?  Remember gemstone?

"What the hell do you have a $500 AOL bill for?  What the fuck is Gemstones III and what do you mean you 'know a guy' who pays $1,000 a month to play it?!"

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: April 18, 2010, 04:39:10 PM

I admit it, the real reason I don't like this is that I can't afford the $25 price tag and I really really want one. That's totally it!

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #204 on: April 18, 2010, 05:06:54 PM

UO started selling shit like this years ago, it didn't bother me then and doesn't now. It also doesn't bother me that Blizzard is basically announcing "Our customers are sheep!" by charging half the price of a AAA box game for a mount rehue some intern probably banged out in a day. It doesn't even faze me that some people think half the price of a box game is worth not having to pay a whopping 500g or whatever for mounts each time they level an alt.

I just have an involuntary urge to throw my middle fingers up when I see something like that comic, which to me just says "Yes I'm a sheep and I'm smug about it! Maybe I'll pay Blizzard FIFTY bucks next for... uh... I don't know but you can't stop me!"

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: April 18, 2010, 05:52:10 PM

I hear it's hip to not like things.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: April 18, 2010, 08:32:58 PM

PEOPLE SHOULD GRIND FOR THEIR LOOT LIKE GOD INTENDED!

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: April 18, 2010, 08:36:13 PM

The QQs though, they are priceless.

Is anyone actually QQing, or is this some Onion bullshit like the Star Trek movie garbage? Everywhere I go on the net people are just 'meh' or 'yay'.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #208 on: April 18, 2010, 08:47:17 PM

Breaking news, people buy stupid shit.

"Me am play gods"
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: April 18, 2010, 08:53:27 PM

PEOPLE SHOULD GRIND FOR THEIR LOOT LIKE GOD INTENDED!

If grinding for loot makes the game suck selling an option to make it suck less seems less good than just making it suck less.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Blizzard launches real money in-game pet store (plus some goes to charity)  
Jump to: