Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:53:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2240159 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4515 on: May 13, 2011, 08:59:34 PM

Darkstar One. Awesome in 3D vision except the background starfield and fog is 2D. It's possible to focus on the 3D stuff, but it's too bad it has that distraction...dogfighting through a debris field against pirates raiding a space hulk is AMAZING in 3D. Game itself is decent, space shooter with light trading. I think you only get the one upgradeable ship, since it's the title of the game. Arcade controls, no wing commander advanced physics tactics (boo). Still, you don't need 15 add-on programs to make it work, I'm just using the 360 controller and kbam in combination.

And it was the price of a large soda and came with two free games.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4516 on: May 14, 2011, 03:45:58 PM

So, started Jade Empire on Xbox (got it off their classic games list). Without the instruction manual I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I'm okay with the fighting, but the "magic" stuff confuses me. On the other hand, the 1942-style air battles amuse me.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4517 on: May 14, 2011, 05:11:27 PM

I never really fooled with the magic much, to be honest.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #4518 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:50 PM

So, started Jade Empire on Xbox (got it off their classic games list). Without the instruction manual I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

I really love that game but the magic in it is basically ass.   Plus I hate to say it now that you have the xbox version but for some reason I remember the PC version making some changes that made it far better.    Something about the combat was different and far less annoying.  Maybe someone else has a better memory.
Strazos

Reply #4519 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:37 PM

All you need for the final boss is Thousand Cuts + Paralyzing Palm, cycle to win. Everything else is just for variety.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #4520 on: May 14, 2011, 09:00:38 PM

2 more days until Witcher 2.

And then a day of downloading.

And no PSN for Rock Band 3 tunes expansion.

swamp poop

Hmm, Master of Magic CD....

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4521 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:31 PM

I really love that game but the magic in it is basically ass.   Plus I hate to say it now that you have the xbox version but for some reason I remember the PC version making some changes that made it far better.    Something about the combat was different and far less annoying.  Maybe someone else has a better memory.
I've come to that conclusion. My character is Scholar Ling, so I started with Leaping Tiger and Heavenly Wave. Um, I got the sword over the staff. I think I'm going to ditch Ice. Right now I have Tiger, Thief, Sword (Fortune's Favorite), and Ice hotkeyed. I think I'll replace Ice with either Wave or one of the Transforms -- the Horse Demon, perhaps.

I mostly use Sword, unless it's ghosts, and only switch to Thief if my Chi gets low.

The "Attack/support" options for my followers is interesting. It seems like attack does jack, though, other than maybe tie up a guy or two while I'm fighting. Might switch to the Drunken Master guy or Dawn Star on pure support.

Interesting concept, but it reeks of Bioware plot. :)
Strazos

Reply #4522 on: May 14, 2011, 09:34:00 PM

Has anyone played Jade Empire on the PC? Does it practically require a controller to be playable?

Fear the Backstab!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4523 on: May 14, 2011, 10:50:00 PM

I used a controller.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4524 on: May 14, 2011, 11:46:21 PM

I played without a controller, but its been long enough that I don't know if it was a hassle or not. I was able to finish it without quitting out of frustration, that much I remember  awesome, for real
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4525 on: May 15, 2011, 05:21:17 AM

I didn't use a controller and stopped playing, like Tebonas.  The combat was so assy that I couldn't get past the first big fight with the pirate dudes without cheating, so I said fuck it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4526 on: May 15, 2011, 09:47:57 AM

I didn't use a controller and stopped playing, like Tebonas.  The combat was so assy that I couldn't get past the first big fight with the pirate dudes without cheating, so I said fuck it.
I had to turn that down to "easy" because it was multiple fights with no real chance to heal between them, and I was still sorting out the damn controls. (Like I didn't figure out how to do AoE until later, didn't realize my 'follower' was on support and thus wasn't distracting a few thugs, didn't know how to use Chi or Focus properly....)

It was a ridiculously tough little fight so early in the game, when you'd had maybe two or three real fights prior. (The sparring just helped you learn the controls, nothing more).
Strazos

Reply #4527 on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:13 AM

I don't know why, but so many earlier BioWare games have absolutely lol-tastic final bosses:

- Sarevok and friends could just be more-or-less AE'ed into oblivion
 - I don't remember the fight with Irenicus, but Mellisen (or whatever her name was) is practically 1-shottable (technically two, but my Jaheira somehow landed a Harm spell, bringing her down to 1 HP)
 - Final guy in Jade can be permanately stun-locked

I'm sure I'm missing other points of hilarity.

Fear the Backstab!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4528 on: May 15, 2011, 09:58:04 AM

I always saw Bioware endfights not as a final challenge, but as a final "Fuck you" to whoever dragged me through the whole game kicking and screaming, giving me enough experience and equipment to effortlessly pummel him silly at the end.

In short, payback for hours and hours of pissing me off. And I don't even give them the satisfaction of making it difficult for me. Loving it!  awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4529 on: May 16, 2011, 11:50:07 AM

Pokemon Soul Silver, which is actually fascinating.  The boy has Heart Gold, and he's really, really getting into it.  Already worrying about replacing moves!  This morning on the way to school he says he will replace Tackle since everyone has that. awesome, for real
Just Cause 2.
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, which is no longer getting DLC for some reason.
Borderlands on 360, finding the Underdome to be tedious.
Lego Star Wars III.
Watching the wife and boy play Lego Pirates.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #4530 on: May 16, 2011, 01:02:02 PM

Finally got around to trying EU: Rome, and it is probably already in my top 3 Paradox games. Kinda sorta hybrids in some elements from Crusader Kings which is probably my favorite.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #4531 on: May 16, 2011, 03:01:12 PM

Dug out the old PS2 (wow, it has just as much online gaming as the PS3 now!) and reloaded my old God Hand save where I quit a long time ago in frustration over one boss (Shannon). Once I finally got past her, the game reminded me of how awesome it really is. Like in Demon's Souls, every completed stage feels like an accomplishment. Twice so for bosses.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #4532 on: May 16, 2011, 07:35:36 PM

GoG games don't include any DRM right? Will that be so for The Witcher 2 as well?

I mean, I don't mind buying and paying for it, I just want to make sure I'm able to access the full version of the game and not a regionally-modified one...  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4533 on: May 16, 2011, 08:38:21 PM

I think I've put in 40 hours now on M&B: With Fire and Sword

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Strazos

Reply #4534 on: May 16, 2011, 08:54:39 PM

GoG games don't include any DRM right? Will that be so for The Witcher 2 as well?

I mean, I don't mind buying and paying for it, I just want to make sure I'm able to access the full version of the game and not a regionally-modified one...  awesome, for real

GOG games have never had DRM, as far as I am aware. If the game's page doesn't say anything about DRM, I would assume it has none.

Fear the Backstab!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #4535 on: May 16, 2011, 10:28:25 PM

GOG is rather open about how EU customers get screwed: the US version is advertised on the front page for $50, and when you click on it, it shows the EU price as "now 10% off, only €45 (we'll bill you the equivalent in dollars, $60)".

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4536 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:11 PM

And they give you a 15 dollar Bonus to offset that price difference.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #4537 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:29 AM

To be fair to GoG, you'd have to compare prices including VAT. In most (if not all of Europe) prices are given including VAT. So assuming a UK residence for GoG Europe (19% VAT) those $50 are actually $59,50 so it's actually the same price.
Gruntle
Terracotta Army

Reply #4538 on: May 17, 2011, 02:39:08 PM

L.A. Noire!

Finally a reason to wear a fedora around the house (I was already going to wear the trench-coat)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4539 on: May 17, 2011, 02:42:41 PM

I have LA Noire in the car waiting for me, but I may leave off starting it til this weekend when Sjofn is out of town as we finally have LOTRO characters the same level and there is SKIRMISHING to be done.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4540 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:14 PM

Lots of Brink.  Thinking of starting a second character to focus on operative since it seems pretty under played.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #4541 on: May 17, 2011, 03:06:26 PM

Lots of Brink.  Thinking of starting a second character to focus on operative since it seems pretty under played.

You're making me want to return sell my recently acquired tablet pc to buy this game, then I remember the last time I listened to you I bought starcraft 2 and played it for all of 2 hours.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4542 on: May 17, 2011, 03:10:43 PM

You're making me want to return sell my recently acquired tablet pc to buy this game, then I remember the last time I listened to you I bought starcraft 2 and played it for all of 2 hours.

I like to play competitive online games, this should be fairly well known by now.  That being said, it is worth playing through the entire single player starcraft 2 campaign if you haven't completed it, even if you go through on easy difficulty or whatever, its pretty fun.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4543 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:35 AM

Terraria.  See associated thread.
Borderlands, 360.  Beat the Space Vagina in a team of three last night, so on to Playthrough 2.
Pokemon Soul Silver.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4544 on: May 18, 2011, 11:16:01 AM

Brink, Section 8, and Minecraft.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4545 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:27 AM

Is Minecraft worth the, what, 20 bucks? I futzed around with the browser version of it and wasn't terribly enthused.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #4546 on: May 18, 2011, 11:39:19 AM

Is Minecraft worth the, what, 20 bucks? I futzed around with the browser version of it and wasn't terribly enthused.

Not to play solo, IMO. Multiplayer survival is pretty fun, especially in the beginning when you don't know how the fuck anything works and oh god what is that green thing *kaboom*. I mean the same thing happens in single player, but it was way more compelling as a shared experience in this case.

For me the fun eventually wore off a bit once I understood how everything worked, built a few giant structures, etc.

proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #4547 on: May 18, 2011, 11:46:48 AM

Yeah, Minecraft suffers a bit once you figure out enough of the game to survive anything given half a day of game time and a tree to punch.  But on the bright side, if you're playing solo, that might take you longer than with a group.   Ohhhhh, I see.

I thought I paid only $13 for it, though.  Maybe the price went up.

But if you can figure out a 'project' in game you can make your own fun pretty easily even after you get the trick of surviving.  I mined specifically for diamonds for a while, and when I got bored with that, I started making a football stadium that is going to easily take at least a week or three to finish (and incidentally stole everyone else's wool for the lines, muhuhaha).

For me right now it is Minecraft, Titan Quest the Expansion, and LOTRO.  With the occasional Blood Bowl game when required.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4548 on: May 18, 2011, 11:54:03 AM

Minecraft pretty quickly becomes less about "Oh Gawd dig faster Ingmar they are right behind us  ACK!" and more about "How can I bend this world to my will bwhahaha  why so serious?"

Once you learn how stuff works, the survival/spelunking aspect just fades away. We can turn a brand new world map into civilization in a short afternoon now, complete with rail/boat transport, vast farm lands, precise mining operations and turning monsters from menace into production lines. 

Really the biggest challenge on a new map is finding the skeleton spawner  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4549 on: May 18, 2011, 12:08:00 PM

I play on a private server with friends, and now, some F13 people. We do survival mode. Its worth every penny. We normally have a number of group projects going on, we tend to the "Build a living world" goals rather than the "Build giant cocks".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:09:52 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: