Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 02:59:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BioShock [NO SPOILERS] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BioShock [NO SPOILERS]  (Read 100209 times)
schild
Administrator

on: August 20, 2007, 01:37:31 AM

Discuss Bioshock here, spoilers from anything outside of the demo will get you a ban. How long? Who knows.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:31:19 AM

Quote from: schild
QuoteCD Keys for Valve games will always be accepted on Steam. CD Keys for third party games are generally not accepted for Steam registration, unless they match the Valve CD Key format (or if they are listed below).

* Valve CD Keys in this format: ####-#####-####
    * Valve CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * Dark Messiah CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * GTI Racing CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * Lost Planet: Extreme Conditions CD-keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * Prey CD Keys in this format: AAB1BB2C345CDD6E E7
    * RACE - the WTCC Game CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * Ragdoll Kung Fu CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * Red Orchestra CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * SiN Episodes: Emergence CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q
    * The Ship CD Keys in this format: 1AB2C-D3FGH-456I7-JK8LM-NOP9Q

I suspect you'll be able to add Bioshock to Steam. Which is super hot. The key is in the Valve CD-Key format. ^_^

Serious question - why would you want to add Bioshock to Steam? As it's an offline game the only thing I can imagine Steam doing it not letting you play if your haven't changed to offline mode and your internets go down. 

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 03:40:34 AM

To let every hour count for the community? I'm a data whore.

Also, I'll never have to put the CD in the tray.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 03:43:51 AM

que?

point.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 03:44:41 AM

That's what Megagames is for.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 05:37:33 AM

I do that sometimes, for some games, but I don't like fucking with my .exe files for games I play online. As much of a pain in the ass the discs can be, it feels safer than risking my key being banned.

Not that Bioshock is online...

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 06:14:51 AM

But it activates online doesn't it?

Also, anyone have any heads up on where to buy this 360/PC, I hear Circuit City has -$10 off.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 06:39:33 AM

I do that sometimes, for some games, but I don't like fucking with my .exe files for games I play online. As much of a pain in the ass the discs can be, it feels safer than risking my key being banned.

Not that Bioshock is online...

Oh yeah, definitely.  For games like Battlefield 2 I just accept the fact that I'll need the disc to play.  For other games, I create a folder inside the game install directory called "Original EXE", and I just keep the .exe I replaced in there in case I need to patch in the future.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 06:43:31 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I seriously hate putting cd's into drives.  I'm that lazy.  My friends laugh, but I haven't played most of the games I've bought for that reason.  Yet, games that just load up off my hard drive, including the ones I rent from the internet, get played all the time.

Case in point: MMO's and XBL.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 07:32:21 AM

Tantrum

why not?!
This forum lists why.... there is a workaround for the 2nd processor, but the video card hoses me (see second thread). This sucks.
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69958
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113501
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 10:36:55 AM

Loved the demo, but I realized I am going to have to bite the bullet and hope my PC can run it reasonably. I tried, I really tried to play with thumb aiming, but it just sucks unholy ass.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:02 AM

Loved the demo, but I realized I am going to have to bite the bullet and hope my PC can run it reasonably. I tried, I really tried to play with thumb aiming, but it just sucks unholy ass.

Ya, this is why I'm pissed about the demo releasing today.  I was going to go to Circuit city and pick it up tomorrow for 360, but I'd much rather have it for PC.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:47:54 AM

That's what Megagames is for.

Also, the local Gamespot appears to now stock 4.5 PC titles concerning Bass fishing, and nothing else. It's just easier to buy PC games via Steam or Amazon. Fuck you physical box retailers.

edited in an attempt to provide some sort of context to my ramblings...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 03:59:43 PM by Daeven »

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:14 AM

ThePirateBay has the PC Demo up on the internets.

http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3778797/BioShock_PC_Demo

schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 10:49:53 AM

I'm pretty sure avoiding fileplanet is Not Piracy.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 12:05:17 PM

3. The local Gamespot appears to now stock 4.5 PC titles concerning Bass fishing, and nothing else. It's just easier to buy PC games via Steam or Amazon. Fuck you physical box retailers.

That is just weird.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 12:14:35 PM

I have to go to bed early to get up early for work tomorrow, so no 'staying up till midnight to play it on Steam' for me.

I will do my jaunty trip over to Best Buy to pick up the boxed copy.

I'm still torn between PC or 360 - my PC is pretty beastly and could run it no problem, but I also want a reason to use this new HDTV I got. My roommates have used it more then I have, because I'm an MMOTard and spend all my time in the room that doesn't have the HDTV.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:51 PM

Going to sleep at 4 to start playing at 12:01.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:25 PM

I have to go to bed early to get up early for work tomorrow, so no 'staying up till midnight to play it on Steam' for me.

I will do my jaunty trip over to Best Buy to pick up the boxed copy.

I'm still torn between PC or 360 - my PC is pretty beastly and could run it no problem, but I also want a reason to use this new HDTV I got. My roommates have used it more then I have, because I'm an MMOTard and spend all my time in the room that doesn't have the HDTV.

Plug your computer into your HDTV.

F.T.W.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #19 on: August 20, 2007, 01:07:24 PM

Bah, Hat beat me to it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 01:10:49 PM

Sounds like he doesn't have free reign over the TV.  That might complicate things.   rolleyes

Anyone know if EBgames is doing a midnight release?

-Rasix
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 01:28:40 PM

Sounds like he doesn't have free reign over the TV.  That might complicate things.   rolleyes

It does complicate things.  I had to buy another TV.  If Verizon would hurry up and run me a fiber line, I'd be great w/ multiroom DVR.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 01:33:14 PM

Anyone know if EBgames is doing a midnight release?
I'm getting it shipped, but this is Gamestop's last chance. If they don't deliver on that 'street date shipping' promise they adverted, they are dead to me and it's amazon from now on. But I did make one concession to haste in trying that shipping thing, I'm pretty excited to get my hands on the game.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 02:17:39 PM

Can someone confirm that the torrent isn't infected with computer AIDS?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 02:19:34 PM

After playing through the demo 3 more times. I have decided on Xbox. The 60 inch TV + Surround sound + achievements > Keyboard + Mouse.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 02:20:49 PM

After playing through the demo 3 more times. I have decided on Xbox. achievements > Keyboard + Mouse.
Honestly, who gives a shit about achievements?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 02:25:08 PM

After playing through the demo 3 more times. I have decided on Xbox. achievements > Keyboard + Mouse.
Honestly, who gives a shit about achievements?

<-------

Who ever designed them should get a huge raise from MS. Addicting little fuckers.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 02:36:59 PM

I want to hate achievements, but there is a little something they tickle deep down inside when I get one.  I think it is my inner cocaine seeking rat jumping for joy.

That said, I'm getting the PC version; I'm a sucker for games sold through Steam.
WayAbvPar

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 02:49:35 PM

I loves me some achievements, and the game was STUNNING on my TV, but the frustration of moving and aiming with the sticks on the controller exceeded it. It will run like crap on my PC, but at least I will be able to survive longer/react better.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 02:52:50 PM

Oh yeah, definitely.  For games like Battlefield 2 I just accept the fact that I'll need the disc to play.  For other games, I create a folder inside the game install directory called "Original EXE", and I just keep the .exe I replaced in there in case I need to patch in the future.

I do the exact same thing. Right down to the folder name.

Checked the pricing on Steam - as it turns out, it's basically a 40%/au$40 saving by buying from Steam. As much as I like boxed product, this likely makes enough of a difference.

Anything exciting in the boxed version I should know about?

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #30 on: August 20, 2007, 02:59:56 PM

I loves me some achievements, and the game was STUNNING on my TV, but the frustration of moving and aiming with the sticks on the controller exceeded it. It will run like crap on my PC, but at least I will be able to survive longer/react better.

With the possibility of a significant PC upgrade for me being years away, I figure I need to start getting good with thumbsticks.  Might as well be a game I have no prayer at running anywhere near as pretty as it will be on my TV.

I like achievements also.  They're fun in a completely optional carrot/stick way. Achievements added significantly to the replay value of Dead Rising for me.

Love that they have it on Steam though.  Just wish that my computer didn't become irrelevant so goddamn fast.

-Rasix
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #31 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:12 PM

Once again I sing the praises Of steam. New puter? No problemo. Log in and all my games are available for download. Purchase Bioshock, tell the system to preload and it preloads. All the games I have bought are available but not loading until I tell them to. It just don't get no better.  Heart

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 20, 2007, 04:11:36 PM

Seriously though, the point behind my incoherent ramble is that it is simply not worth my time to go to a Gamespot any more. They literally have one little rack of PC titles surrounded by console hardware displays. When I asked the manager, his stated that that is Gamespot's policy for stand alone stores (no PC titles) and that they stock more PC titles in Mall stores (What? 15 copies of Bass Hunter Deluxe instead of 4?).

Translation: fuck off and drive to Belleview.

Response: Yay Amazon if I want the physical DVD. Steam or Driect2Drive if I want to avoid swapingDiskSyndrome.

*shrug*

On topic: 60" TV or PC modding goodness..... quite the dilemma.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 20, 2007, 05:37:49 PM

1.84 GB for the (legit) pc demo? 

This has better rock my world  tongue
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: August 20, 2007, 05:38:01 PM

Anyone have any good demo links? I think I need to run it on my PC before I decide.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: BioShock [NO SPOILERS]  
Jump to: