Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 04:07:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Duke Nukem Forever?!? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever?!?  (Read 89257 times)
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

on: September 03, 2004, 06:15:58 PM

Uh, I don't know what the hell's the deal, but IGN / GameStop suddenly list it for Nov 15, 2004. Also some guy on another forum made a picture in some EB Games store having it listed handwritten with other release dates on some papers.

Did I miss something?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=640700

(Yeah I know it's stamp size, but the guy that posted it is kinda trustworthy)

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

Hrm... Not likely... Atleast I hope not... That would mean we would have to change our "HL2: TBA, DNF: TBA" sign

Wiiiiii!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 08:02:23 PM

Um, DOOM 3, Half-Life 2, and Duke Nukem Forever all released in the same year? Isn't that like one of the Signs of the Apocalypse?
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 03:16:11 AM

Maybe it's a dud afterall? Either noone cares or it didn't reach other places yet.

--edit--
Other people are saying it'll use Unreal3, which would pretty much kill a Nov 2004 date. There's no proof, there's just an announced game on Epics Unreal Engine site, which doesn't say what engine tho. Could be Unreal2 and still come out in Nov.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/powered/announced.shtml

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 06:14:00 AM

That sign also says WOW 12/8 while EB games online still has it listed as 11/15. Since I know both of those dates are pulled from thin air, I expect the DNF one is as well.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 06:19:15 AM

To save you the false hope, just start calling it Duke Nukem: Forgetit.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 08:37:26 AM

3DRealms states specifically on their website that NO date is accurate. It's all about "when it's done."

I find that rather humorous myself, but 3DRealms does seem to be serious about it. Especially after they comment about the three engine changes, two total scrap/redesigns, etc.,etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath...
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 10:30:23 AM

Still interesting how something suddenly turns from TBD to a certain date without reason.

Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 11:49:12 AM

There must have been some reason/rumor for them to post it. It'd be very interesting to find out exactly what, but we'll probably never know.

Nothing from 3DRealms, that's for certain.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 11:47:53 PM

My guess would be that since Valve has actually made recent mention of Team Fortress 2, then a speculative date for DNF would only feel natural to EB and Gamestop.  I mean, they are kind of like the yin and yang of vaporware.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 07:45:44 PM

NECRO MADNESS!

Duke Nukem For Never 3dRealms seems to have shuttered.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 08:05:37 PM

Well, so much for a long running joke.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 10:59:03 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Ah, who am I kidding? Still, I was somehow looking forward to seeing the damn thing released another decade down the road and having it be a Daikatana-bad turd. Sort of as the final act of the comedy.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:30 PM

Aww, that's too sad. Oh well. We still have Dawn to look forward to.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 11:36:27 PM

Aww, that's too sad. Oh well. We still have Dawn to look forward to.

You already got Darkfall, isn't that enough?
Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 01:11:51 AM

Can you dig (vertically) in Darkfall?

Also, Duke related: The Chair Story (revival)

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 05:28:17 AM

I can't seem to shake the feeling that this is some kind of trick. Could it be the release is actually near?
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 05:36:55 AM

Can you dig (vertically) in Darkfall?

Also, Duke related: The Chair Story (revival)
The chair story is good, but a little on the mafioso side. It does explain the Duke Nukem feature creep and Unreal Engine announcements, but I can't shake the feeling that all the decent talent left 3DR at least 5 years ago.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:54 AM

This will be the most interesting or most boring post mortem ever, but I want to know what the holy hell they did for 13 fucking years thinking they wouldn't run out of money doing it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:16 AM

This will be the most interesting or most boring post mortem ever, but I want to know what the holy hell they did for 13 fucking years thinking they wouldn't run out of money doing it.

Click the Chair Story link.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:28 AM

I did, I have a hard time buying the "and then they tried to beat me with a chair leg if I didn't go along, officer" part.

That screams 'signed contract, RAN TO THE FEDS' if it actually happened.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:26 AM

It becomes a "he-said, she-said" scenario.

Much better to hold on to the story and use it (if true) if the deal went south and the contract becomes a liability.

I could completely see Mike Wilson going for a "let's market a game that we'll never release!". Good to see that Gamecock no longer exists either.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:15 AM

At this point, like most corporate bungling (or not  Ohhhhh, I see.) we'll never know the whole story.

But that chair story is so crazy I can see it being true, or having truth in there somewhere.

awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 11:48:17 AM

At this point, like most corporate bungling (or not  Ohhhhh, I see.) we'll never know the whole story.

But that chair story is so crazy I can see it being true, or having truth in there somewhere.

awesome, for real
The important part of that story is the whole UE3 angle. All the rest is inconsequential. The UE3 bit explains EVERYTHING about 3D Realms.

What it doesn't explain is why anyone would want to join Broussard's GameIlluminati.com thing. Ohhhhh, I see.

Even though never releasing a game and only hyping it is exactly what some paranoid illuminati type might do.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 05:27:46 PM

This a terrible blow to running jokes everywhere.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 11:14:38 PM

The chair story sounds like complete bullshit.  I'm supposed to believe a cabal of computer nerds threatened a guy on pain of death into entering a secret fraternity bent on sustaining perpetual game development hell during one of the largest conventions in the world? 

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:57 PM

Yeah, I don't buy the chair story except maybe as a very creative embellishment.  I might buy the idea behind it, that the whole thing was planned to be that way, but not that the guy was threatened with pieces of busted-up chair.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Xuri
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:19 AM

Probably seen already by many of you at one point in time or another, but still an interesting page: The Duke Nukem Forever List

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 02:08:31 AM

The list at the end of "Things that have taken less time than Duke Nukem Forever's Development" is perhaps the most amusing part of that page.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 04:31:54 AM

Yeah, I don't buy the chair story except maybe as a very creative embellishment.  I might buy the idea behind it, that the whole thing was planned to be that way, but not that the guy was threatened with pieces of busted-up chair.

I've known too many unstable nerds to pass that story off as fiction out of hand.

Plus I'm aware of certain studios having done insanely illegal things (for example, what basically amounts to kidnapping and deprivation of liberty for an extended period) to their employees but ultimately get off because no-one wants to risk their job. Which is exactly what the original story says - he could have run to the police with that story, but it would have cost him his job and his career.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:21 AM

Patience is a virtue.

http://i.a-13.net/slash000.jpg

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 06:04:40 AM

This did make me chuckle:

"Britney Spears' entire musical career as a pop star has taken place during Duke Nukem Forever's development."

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 06:08:09 AM

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 06:10:55 AM by IainC »

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 06:14:42 AM

Not sure what this intentional dragging out thing is about. Alone for the reason that the only people actually remembering Duke Nukem and knowing/remotely caring about DNF are old jaded gamers. Not the main market.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:39 AM

I've known too many unstable nerds to pass that story off as fiction out of hand.

Plus I'm aware of certain studios having done insanely illegal things (for example, what basically amounts to kidnapping and deprivation of liberty for an extended period) to their employees but ultimately get off because no-one wants to risk their job. Which is exactly what the original story says - he could have run to the police with that story, but it would have cost him his job and his career.

I mean they were going to stab him with a wooden splinter in the middle of the busiest place in L.A.?  It's preposterous.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Duke Nukem Forever?!?  
Jump to: