Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 08:11:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  (Read 213865 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1050 on: November 20, 2014, 11:27:04 PM

We're drawing a blank on what to get my 9yr old daughter for christmas.  What games are worth getting for WiiU?

I know there were some folks that had fun with the WiiU.  I'm a bit concerned looking at the lack of upcoming games for it though.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: November 20, 2014, 11:54:38 PM

Depends on what kind of stuff she likes.  Mario Kart is entertaining enough, even if at the end of the day it is just a super polished and pretty version of all the other MK titles.  Super Mario 3d World is, in my opinion, a colossal disappointment.  My youngest likes watching me play it (he is 2), my older boys won't touch it with a ten foot pole - and they have played all kinds of other Mario titles no problem.  I want to throw the controller in rage every time I play it.  I know others disagree, but history will prove me right.  Nobody gives a shit about this game for good reason.  A Mario game with sloppy controls and no compelling reasons to search for secrets?  GREAT IDEA.

Wind Waker....I played this back on Gamecube, and never finished it.  I liked it quite a bit, but the slog at the end broke me.  The re-mastered version is a goddamn masterpiece.  Made better in every way in its WiiU incarnation.

Lego City is simple and good for some laughs.  Open world roaming, lego style.

And...I'm out.  Nobody makes shit for WiiU, and the first party stuff is few and far between.  And they broke Mario.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1052 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:34 AM

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: November 21, 2014, 12:53:42 AM

I think Smash Bros for WiiU drops today, if that's something you're into.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: November 21, 2014, 05:47:25 AM

I can barely handle some of the platforming in Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.  Make sure your 9 year old is really good at platformers before getting them that (not that it's a bad game, just has a lot of very hardcore platforming aspects).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1055 on: November 21, 2014, 08:40:26 AM

My ten-year-old would suggest Pikmin 3, Cat Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros.  He would also let you know that both Mario Galaxy games work great on the WiiU.

I really like LEGO City Undercover, but watch out for the Pizza Boy bug if you want to get 100%.

I do not like Cat Mario.  I confirmed this by playing a lot of Galaxy 2 on the WiiU recently, followed by a round of Cat Mario.  Cyrrex is absolutely correct.

He is getting Amiibo but doesn't know it.  I expect him to flip his wig over it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: November 21, 2014, 10:14:58 AM

Yeah, both Mario Galaxy titles are miles better than Cat Mario.  Also, I didn't know we were calling it Cat Mario, but now some earlier posts are making more sense to me

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1057 on: November 21, 2014, 11:59:20 AM

I don't remember what order the usual set of words for a Mario title are for this one, but I remember that cat costume.  After playing it again recently, I remember that there are some other costumes, such as the Boomerang Bro costume.  The cats are on the cover, though, and there is a paw print in the logo.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1058 on: November 21, 2014, 12:13:27 PM

He is getting Amiibo but doesn't know it.  I expect him to flip his wig over it.

I just looked this up and still have no idea what it is.

A user profile stick?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1059 on: November 21, 2014, 12:31:07 PM

It's some Mario Shit for WiiU.  I looked at the page for 45 seconds and I think it's probably a combination of Skylanders and Wii Sports.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: November 21, 2014, 04:31:33 PM

We're drawing a blank on what to get my 9yr old daughter for christmas.  What games are worth getting for WiiU?

I know there were some folks that had fun with the WiiU.  I'm a bit concerned looking at the lack of upcoming games for it though.

My wife and I have:

New Super Mario Bros U.  A very good Mario 2d platformer.  I like it a lot more than New Super Mario Bros Wii for some reason.  This one is good enough that my wife and I are trying for all the secrets.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.  Another solid Platformer, but not amazing.  Haven't finished it.

Mario Kart 8.  It's good.

Wind Waker HD: It's Wind Waker, It's HD.  What's not to like?  I think WW was my favorite Zelda, even above Ocarina of Time.

Also, the new Smash Bros just came out today.  I'm hearing decent things about it.  I'd pick it up if I had someone to play with, but my wife has no interest.

Mario Kart 8 was the one that sold us the console, as they say.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: November 21, 2014, 06:17:43 PM

Aside from aforementioned titles Captain Toad is coming out Dec 5th, should be a good game for kids. A pretty cute and somewhat non-violent puzzly game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1062 on: November 22, 2014, 02:55:33 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1063 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:25 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #1064 on: November 22, 2014, 03:25:46 PM

Smash Bros disconnects you for griefing or something because Nintendo is a wretched pack of carebears. It's a reward for skill. Getting disco'd.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1065 on: November 22, 2014, 03:29:42 PM

It's one of the "bad manners" rules in Smash Bros.  If you're in free for all and everyone just gangs up on one player, that's seen as unfairly picking on them.  But obviously there's a huge amount of subjectivity on that kind of thing.  It's like LoL or Dota where "intentional feeding" is the go-to excuse for why you lost.

The 3DS had an additional glitch where thanks to an integer overflow you could be banned for like 140 years, so much merriment was had.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:41 PM

That sounds nothing like feeding.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: November 22, 2014, 06:07:10 PM

That's really fucking stupid.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #1068 on: November 22, 2014, 06:30:09 PM

Why don't I have a WiiU again?  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:33 PM

That sounds nothing like feeding.

I meant in the sense that when you're losing, people tend to cry about "intentional feeding" because it's against the rules and reportable, while "sucking at the game" is not.  It's a nebulous, hard to prove accusation that I can use to get you in trouble when I'm frustrated.

Mechanically, yeah, they're nothing alike, sorry for being unclear.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 08:34:13 PM by Kail »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:45 PM

It's not hard to prove at all, the focus fire thing. X amount of attacks directed to Y opponent over Z time frame.

Should you actually punish players for doing it, that's the subjective part. That's a play to win vs play for fun thing. It could be considered cheap or cheesey, but temporary alliances in a FFA are a valid strategy in many games.

Intentional feeding conversely, is pretty much scoring on your own goal on purpose. It's just a player throwing a tantrum and ruining the entire premise of the game.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:53 PM

That's only in the "fun" mode, not the competitive mode.

It's a little weird but one of those things that is functionally irrelevant.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1072 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:28 AM

Ubisoft PR should at some point look up the Streisand Effect on wikipedia because right now they are on fire when it comes to doing shitty PR and telling the maximum amount of people beforehand that a game might be shit.

Latest exhibit in the ongoing "worst company in America? That's somebody EA shouldn't win this year if we have something to say about it!" saga. Review copies for "The Crew" will only be available to reviewers after the street date of December 2nd. Don't like that review embargos end when the game goes on sale? easy simply don't give reviewers a copy of the game before the street date.

That's how you instill confidence in buyers that your game is great Ubisoft. (BTW. the press release covering this is all kinds of unintentional hilarity)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: November 25, 2014, 02:12:47 AM

That PR basically says "we know you like to listen to reviewers but trust us the game is great!"

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1074 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:52 AM

Unless I get fooled, every Ubisoft game is on permanent $5 bargain bin steam sale basis for the rest of my gaming life.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1075 on: November 25, 2014, 05:50:38 AM

Hmm, wonder if Ubisoft's spending in an attempt to confirm their AAA publisher status is about to collapse around them.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1076 on: November 25, 2014, 06:24:47 AM

Ubisoft PR should at some point look up the Streisand Effect on wikipedia because right now they are on fire when it comes to doing shitty PR and telling the maximum amount of people beforehand that a game might be shit.

Latest exhibit in the ongoing "worst company in America? That's somebody EA shouldn't win this year if we have something to say about it!" saga. Review copies for "The Crew" will only be available to reviewers after the street date of December 2nd. Don't like that review embargos end when the game goes on sale? easy simply don't give reviewers a copy of the game before the street date.

That's how you instill confidence in buyers that your game is great Ubisoft. (BTW. the press release covering this is all kinds of unintentional hilarity)

Ubisoft has had shitty PR for a long time. Back when the first Assassin's Creed game came out, they let a handful of sites that were giving the game a 10 out of 10 ignore the review embargo. EGM's reviewers scored the game 7, 6, and 4.5, resulting in Ubisoft telling EGM and 1Up that they would no longer be getting review copies of any Ubisoft games, and that EGM and 1Up staff would not be invited to any Ubisoft events. You can say that this sort of thing doesn't instill confidence in buyers, but there were a number of people on various message boards that took Ubisoft's side on that. Also there's a lot of people who buy games that just don't pay attention to that sort of thing.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1077 on: December 09, 2014, 04:57:13 AM

Who has actually decided that digital foundry is suddenly a valid source for performance comparisons and analysis even though their posts make it absolutely clear that they know fuck all about development, engines, tool sets, hardware architecture or the influence of all those things on performance?

Because their stuff is now showing up everywhere and reposted constantly as some sort of proof of a game's performance or lack thereof.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:56 PM

Does anyone have a Playstation TV? This thing intrigues me, but I know very little about it.

It's basically the Vita minus the screen and buttons, a tiny box you plug into your TV. It's only like 100 bucks for a bundle that has all the little bits you would need, controller, memory card, HDMI cable and a game. I know some games aren't compatible because of a lack of touch screen or something, but the library looks decent enough at first glance. Seems like a good way to play the handful of Vita games I would want to fiddle with, without needing an actual Vita. Also apparently has a good back catalog of PSP and PS1 games too.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1079 on: December 14, 2014, 07:59:34 PM

I have one and use it to play Freedom Wars. Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: December 14, 2014, 08:20:52 PM

Does it actually take physical Vita games, or is it purely a webstore style interface download thing? (I feel like a dumbo asking this, but I can't actually see a slot to put games in)  why so serious?

Have you used the youtube player on it? Or the web-browser? Would the browser let you stream Twitch.tv streams?

I'm even thinking of getting one as a bloody minecraft box for my nephew, since he is currently monopolizing his parents computer for it.  awesome, for real

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1081 on: December 14, 2014, 08:42:20 PM

It has a slot for Vita game cards and also a slot for a Vita memory card. If you are using it in conjunction with a Vita it's more convenient to buy games on PSN to download to both systems, if you are willing to pay for horribly overpriced Vita memory cards, and also be a PSN subscriber so you can use the cloud save feature.

twitch.tv does not work on the Vita and PlayStation TV browsers because of the lack of Flash support, among other things.

The YouTube Vita app does not work on the PlayStation TV for some inexplicable reason. You can download it but it doesn't work.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: December 14, 2014, 08:53:23 PM

The no YouTube thing is disappointing and perplexing. That would've killed two birds with one stone for my nephew, as when he isn't playing minecraft he is watching it. Is this something that is likely to be patched in the future, or is this just a herp derp diddly derp thing that no one knows because Sony.

The no Twitch.tv doesn't surprise me, seems like most of these little streaming boxes don't support twitch.

Good to know it takes the physical media as well, maybe find something good in a bargain bin or something that way.

Thanks for the info!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1083 on: December 14, 2014, 08:57:40 PM

YouTube does actually work in the PlayStation TV browser (just tested it) so that's a workaround. The YouTube app not working would seem fixable. Other Vita video apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus which also don't work on the PlayStation TV are less likely to be fixed.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: December 14, 2014, 09:16:53 PM

Oh sweet, that's good to know.

I'm not terribly concerned with the Netflix or Hulu Plus, I'm unlikely to use the device for those.

For myself, there is a high chance this thing ends up being a Persona box for me. I've never played a Persona game but I keep hearing things about them, so I need to see for myself. Throw me recommendations for other games if you have any. Like what is Freedom Wars about?

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Well, my dad works at Nintendo and~: Console Wars Horseshit Megathread  
Jump to: