Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:33:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Hellgate London Alpha 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hellgate London Alpha  (Read 395152 times)
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #840 on: October 25, 2007, 05:31:26 PM

Charing Cross is jammed probably because the next station Green Park have no facilities, so even when I was running those instances I'd have to zone back to Charing to sell/buy/upgrade/bank.

The game felt more laggy yesterday, but I never did get problems on the scale describe above (floating guys without body attached etc). My system is pretty decent though - C2D with a Geforce 8800 GTS.

Status effects are pretty common, and being shocked/stunned/phased while fighting named mobs with the ability to regenerate is pretty aggravating - you cant damage it fast enough thanks to the status afflictions, and it keeps healing itself up to full hp.
Gforce
Terracotta Army

Reply #841 on: October 25, 2007, 05:40:40 PM

No it has not. Apparently you aren't playing the same game I am.

I apologize in advance for derailing your HG thread a little one last time.

http://i23.tinypic.com/141qsdt.jpg

Screenshot of current TR backpacks. On the right of the backpack are 5 tab icons of armor, crate, crossed tools, datapad, blue dots. Each one of those tabs is as big as the former backpack. 5 times the size, like I said. Loot automatically sorts into the correct one.

I can't demonstrate improved loot drops, but those weapons didn't start out as dyes. Nuff said.
-------------------------------
G is for Greg :P
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #842 on: October 25, 2007, 05:50:06 PM

You are correct, my mistake. I was looking at my footlocker.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #843 on: October 25, 2007, 07:00:17 PM

So it looks like the entire hellgate website has exploded. I really wish I could be playing the beta right now.
lesion

Reply #844 on: October 25, 2007, 07:07:23 PM

if it's any consolation the memory leak crashes have been eating at my soul for the past week or two. honestly. I want to die.

steam|a grue \[T]/
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #845 on: October 25, 2007, 07:52:19 PM

I apologize in advance for derailing your HG thread a little one last time.

Go post in the TR thread. I played the beta. It lacked fun. It got worse over time. No money for Dick Garriot from me this time.

As for HG:L, the memory leak seems even worse on the latest test center client.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #846 on: October 25, 2007, 08:05:13 PM

If there was any question about HG:L being a MMO, it seems to be having the right kind of launch for one.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #847 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:34 PM

I decided to give Hellgate one more try, and when I doubleclicked the shortcut, it dropped my rig like I had hit the reset button.  Bugcheck!?  That's bad.

Code:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x89546af0, 0x89547978, 0xb9d1e394). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini102507-01.dmp.

Deinstalled.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #848 on: October 25, 2007, 08:49:01 PM

Bad Pool Header? I got that when I was trying out Panda antivirus.

Could be iffy memory as well.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #849 on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:47 PM

If there was any question about HG:L being a MMO, it seems to be having the right kind of launch for one.

Zing!

Anyway yeah having played the beta for the last few weeks the general consensus is correct that.

1. (Mostly) Fun.
2. Needs another 2-3 months in development for polish and fixing shit.

Still getting it on launch. A mediocre Sci-Fi Diablo in 3D is still better then no Diablo. And if they sell some boxes they should have the cash to fix it, given time.

Plus publishers seeing Diablo style games moving boxes can't be a bad thing. Just finish the next one before you launch it k?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #850 on: October 25, 2007, 09:05:33 PM

That's one of the reasons I don't mind the game having a subscription. It gives them motivation to continue improving the game and gives them the cashflow to do it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #851 on: October 25, 2007, 09:19:14 PM

I'm hoping they make their goal of lifetime subs. If they do, it pretty much guarantees they fix things super fucking fast.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #852 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:08 PM

Bad Pool Header? I got that when I was trying out Panda antivirus.

Crossed my mind that it was something like antivirus.

Could be iffy memory as well.

Crucial, less than a year old.  No other crashdumps, just the two instigated by HGL.  Seems unlikely.

I'm not swearing off HGL completely, I'm just going to wait a month or two.  I had complaints about Titan Quest, but it didn't reboot my rig, so there's always that.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #853 on: October 25, 2007, 09:53:42 PM

I'm hoping they make their goal of lifetime subs. If they do, it pretty much guarantees they fix things super fucking fast.

If you trick a bunch of people into paying for lifetime subscriptions up front, how does that make you MORE motivated to fix shit?  You already have all the money you're ever going to get from them.  Or do I misunderstand how lifetime subs work?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #854 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:03 AM

For the last week, every time I try to connect to the test server I get booted from my router Head scratch.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #855 on: October 26, 2007, 01:41:24 AM

If you trick a bunch of people into paying for lifetime subscriptions up front, how does that make you MORE motivated to fix shit?  You already have all the money you're ever going to get from them.  Or do I misunderstand how lifetime subs work?

I think you missed the green.  I hope.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #856 on: October 26, 2007, 02:04:53 AM

For the last week, every time I try to connect to the test server I get booted from my router Head scratch.
The HGL networking code is doing something very bad or at least very non-standard. I've played literally hundreds of online games through a bandwidth shaping program called NetLimiter and have never had any incompatibility issues until I tried it with HGL. It doesn't surprise me to hear that's it's messing up network connections in other ways as well.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #857 on: October 26, 2007, 03:25:19 AM

I used NEtlimiter and don't have any problems.  But with NL past history, I would bet it's their fuckup, not HGL's.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #858 on: October 26, 2007, 04:43:20 AM

It definitely didn't work with NetLimiter 1.30 -- it's even in their networking sticky. I haven't tried the latest Beta so maybe they fixed something. NL 1.3 has been rock solid for me for ages. 2.0 has had lots of issues which is one of the reasons why I don't use it.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #859 on: October 26, 2007, 10:03:22 AM

I definitely have to say now that I've played the beta that the demo doesn't do it any justice. In the beta mobs tend to swam at you like in Diablo, which is a hell of a lot more fun than the one pull bullshit from the demo. Even the same levels featured in the demo are different and better. I would seem to me that they just finished up most of the actual mechanical workings within the last couple months and only since then have started balancing AKA injecting the fun into the game. The demo is from earlier in this process or so I'm told.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #860 on: October 26, 2007, 10:13:10 AM

I think you missed the green.  I hope.

I hope I did too.  We've already established that Diablo-esque games play by their own special rules.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #861 on: October 26, 2007, 01:05:55 PM

It definitely didn't work with NetLimiter 1.30 -- it's even in their networking sticky. I haven't tried the latest Beta so maybe they fixed something. NL 1.3 has been rock solid for me for ages. 2.0 has had lots of issues which is one of the reasons why I don't use it.

Actually, Netlimiter 1.30 had similiar issues with other games and it was exactly the reason I moved on to 2.xx version. Nevertheless, since I got utorrent I'm considereing getting rid of it altogether.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #862 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:17 PM

No French here.  I'm nearly all wegian.  Nor by birth, Glas by marriage.   cheesy  (I like the name Mallory though, even if it is a bit dark)

I asked because Signe Mallory (may have been spelled slightly different) is a superbadass space captain in C. J. Cherryh's early space novels (Downbelow Station, etc), and one of my favorite si-fi characters even if we haven't learned all that much about her.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #863 on: October 26, 2007, 04:33:06 PM

I spoke to a Signe today, works for the SFAR, nice enough girl who told me what I needed to know.

Signe Hirsimaki is her name according to their website.

If you've always wondered how to pronounce the name, you can call her outside of business hours I'm sure she has it on her voice mail.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #864 on: October 26, 2007, 04:42:09 PM

On the risk of being trampled to death by hoards of rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth intertubby fanbois... I never read much science fiction.  Especially not the spacey kind.  I've never even heard of C. J. Cherryh, but I'm sure the hubby has.  Probably very nearly everyone here has, too.  I've read some popular stuff and several Iain Banks novels, but not too much more.  No offense.  I don't mean you anyway.  Or anyone here.  Really.

Honest.

PS  I still have a sound byte of Schild pronouncing my name on TS.  He did good.  SIG-NEE or SIG-NAY, depending on which Scandie country you're from.  (though my mother didn't like that and pronounced it all Frenchy sounding instead.  Seen-ya.)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #865 on: October 26, 2007, 07:20:13 PM

So I guess you can get into the EU beta with your NA account.  Sometimes it takes a few tries to get in, though. 

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #866 on: October 26, 2007, 09:53:58 PM

I think it's just your name that's fooling them...

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #867 on: October 27, 2007, 03:37:29 AM

I gotta admit, they cleaned up a helluva lot in that very last patch on the TC before they took the servers down. Especially on the DX10 side. My framerates were up a solid 15 - 20 (no joke) in almost every area. The most noticeable gains being in CC and CG stations and Demon Streets instances. Previously the nastiest spots in the game. Load times were also significantly shorter in DX10. From watching my resource monitor it looks like they're utilizing the second core on dual core CPUs much more, and it shows.

They still have to fix the low poly count on player characters (your character renders correctly but others look really tacky.) Memory leaks are still present but much more tolerable. I'd also wager to say that there is still a massive amount of optimization yet to do.

All in all, IF the servers hold up they could come around for a decent launch. God damnit they better, I'm on vacation for a week starting Sunday.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #868 on: October 27, 2007, 08:22:34 AM

I think it's just your name that's fooling them...

No, it's true!  You have to click "show all" on the login screen, choose the EU server, it'll probably go through some goofy patch thing, and then, sometimes after several login attempts, you're in.  At least I was.  No characters and probably no Halloween, but it's still there.  If you can be arsed to try.  I didn't actually play... but I got in! 

Bah.  I just got an email from EA telling me I could do this.  Nothing to see here. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:31:03 AM by Signe »

JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #869 on: October 27, 2007, 03:38:06 PM

Also, EU beta is long gone.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #870 on: October 27, 2007, 04:53:29 PM

It was over today!  I played in it.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #871 on: October 27, 2007, 08:40:48 PM

So it looks like the entire hellgate website has exploded. I really wish I could be playing the beta right now.

Yeah seems like everything is b0rked atm, was going to play on Monday what gives?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #872 on: October 27, 2007, 11:21:23 PM

Danger Will Robinson, they removed the 3 symbol mini game in the last patch. I cry.

On the other hand, Schild and I found what is possibly the greatest in game pet of all time. I present to you.. Zombie Robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNW-E9nNn4

The dance, enough said.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #873 on: October 27, 2007, 11:25:20 PM

Danger Will Robinson, they removed the 3 symbol mini game in the last patch. I cry.

On the other hand, Schild and I found what is possibly the greatest in game pet of all time. I present to you.. Zombie Robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqNW-E9nNn4

The dance, enough said.

Why is that guy's head on fire?

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Trouble
Terracotta Army

Reply #874 on: October 27, 2007, 11:26:06 PM

Yeah seems like everything is b0rked atm, was going to play on Monday what gives?

There seems to be mixed information. Originally pre-orders were supposed to get early access to the servers. Now they're saying we'll be able to log in and reserve our names. I WANT TO PLAY!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Hellgate London Alpha  
Jump to: