Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 02:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1001051 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #2870 on: April 23, 2013, 11:38:06 PM

From the Reddit AMA:

[–]CeaseToHope
What do you consider MWO's "end game" content to be, and what will be involved in earning it?

[–]BryanEkman
Epics. Ranking up in a faction. Performing skill based achievements. Time.
permalinkriferimento

[–]CeaseToHope
What are epics? What will be involved in ranking up in a faction?
"Performing skill based achievements" and "time" are what are involved in earning the end game content, correct?
permalinkriferimento

[–]BryanEkman
Epic would be the endgame for your Mech. Details forthcoming before launch. But it's going to be exciting and worthy of the effort.

Epics?  ACK!

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #2871 on: April 24, 2013, 01:34:19 AM

From the Reddit AMA:

[–]CeaseToHope
What do you consider MWO's "end game" content to be, and what will be involved in earning it?

[–]BryanEkman
permalinkriferimento

[–]CeaseToHope
"Performing skill based achievements" and "time" are what are involved in earning the end game content, correct?
permalinkriferimento

[–]BryanEkman
Epic would be the endgame for your Mech. Details forthcoming before launch. But it's going to be exciting and worthy of the effort.

Epics?  ACK!

Sounds like something they are making up to get some money out of players who already have all the mech bays and all the exp (so no need for premium time) they need Ohhhhh, I see.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Calvin and Hobbes are back to maul the fuck outta you.

Reply #2872 on: April 24, 2013, 01:54:51 AM

Sounds like something they are making up to get some money out of players who already have all the mech bays and all the exp (so no need for premium time) they need Ohhhhh, I see.

Pretty much. It'll be interesting to see how much money/MC is needed to Community Warfare but overall I think they've done well with Hero Mechs, Cosmetic items and Mech Bays to promote more MC purchasing
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2873 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:02 AM

I agree that Hero 'mechs turned out fine so far. Epics on the other hand? I am really, really worried.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2874 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:04 AM

Finally, it hit Clownshoes Critical Meltdown last night.

Was spectating in a Raven running at a top speed of about 70 with an AC 20.

For Fucks Sake.

Suffice to say, he did less than 100 damage, cause he couldn't hit shit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #2875 on: April 24, 2013, 07:58:08 AM

Well, I've come up with stupid builds like that for shits and giggles....to be fair.

But yeah, hope a ballistic tweak happens soon.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2876 on: April 24, 2013, 08:09:06 AM

Can you imagine it when they retroactively fit the 'changed weapons' look for the older mechs ?

That Raven would be running about with a hunchback thing on the side of its fucking head.

Zaljerem
Terracotta Army

Reply #2877 on: April 24, 2013, 10:10:15 AM

I had a match last night against a team with at least 4 Highlanders poptarting ... it looked like fucking Whack-a-Mole, literally.

I'm usually pretty patient with whatever flavor-of-the-month is happening in the metagame, but it's pretty ridiculous right now.

Every problem has a better solution when you start thinking about it differently than the normal way. - Steve Wozniak
When is [Minecraft] going to get together with DF, have a nice cuddle and a bottle of wine and finally produce the Baby that I want ? - Ironwood
"Thank you for helping us help you help us all." - GlaDOS
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2878 on: April 24, 2013, 11:51:25 AM

From the Reddit AMA:

[–]CeaseToHope

[–]BryanEkman
permalinkriferimento

[–]CeaseToHope
permalinkriferimento

[–]BryanEkman

Epics?  ACK!

Completely unrelated to the fact that they just deleted the general discussion forum.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2879 on: April 24, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

Completely unrelated to the fact that they just deleted the general discussion forum.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Anyone else see that as a 'bad sign'?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2880 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:02 PM

The mention of "Epics" and "Endgame" in a first person shooter with currently questionable weapon balancing for "Standard" weapons makes me regret my founder purchase.   If I wanted that shit I'd do a Diku.

"OH joy, I got 2 shot by that Raven with ERPPCs instead of 4 shot."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #2881 on: April 24, 2013, 01:56:52 PM

My legendary founder purchase was a serious mistake. Apparantly i needed to make a mistake of that nature to remind me to stay off of hype trains.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Jasper
Terracotta Army

Reply #2882 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:44 PM

I had a match last night against a team with at least 4 Highlanders poptarting ... it looked like fucking Whack-a-Mole, literally.

I'm usually pretty patient with whatever flavor-of-the-month is happening in the metagame, but it's pretty ridiculous right now.

I don't mind the Hopping Highlanders so much, though they are ubiquitous and tired.  They can be a pain in the ass if you're also in a slow Assault mech, but if you have a medium or heavy mech with long range firepower and decent speed you can often rip through them.  Simply flank around to where the cover they're relying on doesn't cover them and blast them as they scurry slowly to a new spot.  I've been getting a ~4.5 K/D ratio mostly popping Highlanders in a Trebuchet.

If you're stuck straight up you can just shoot them mid hop too, especially if you coordinate focus fire -- when they pop pretty much everyone can shoot them if you're ready, and then they won't want to hop anymore.

I do think it's rather silly that they can jump to maximum height and then land without jets and still apparently take no fall damage.  Didn't used to work that way, and hopefully they fix'll fix it.
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2883 on: April 24, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

Yeah, they're boring and ubiquitous but not that terrible. I had plenty of fun running in with an AC20 Hunchie and annoying them up close. I might have to get a Yen Lo Wang at this rate at the next sale.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2884 on: April 25, 2013, 12:26:31 PM

Ok, I've now tried every configuration known to man.

This Highlander is shit.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2885 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47:06 PM

Have you tried poptarting?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2886 on: April 25, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Yes.

Don't Even.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2887 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:02 PM

You know what? The more I play, the more I think they really fucked up with the maps. They don't make your 'mechs feel big at all. Even the city one, the only one that has human-elements that should help perceive the right proportions, does a poor job if you ask me. And all the other ones? The environment feels so fake that it's just as if they put some human-sized robots into a generic MMORPG scenery map hoping you would make them big with your imagination and your notion that they are supposed to be big. Alpine Peaks is terrible about that, and even Turmaline Desert, which I love, doesn't really feel right when it comes to sizes. Is it just me? It could be.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #2888 on: April 25, 2013, 05:41:47 PM

It isn't the maps. It's because of the way the mechs handle. The game doesn't feel like big stompy robots because you aren't controlling a big stompy robot. The game treats the mechs like funny looking tanks as you slide around with no reticule movement, no aim bob, no recoil, and no gait.

Compare the movement in these videos.

MWO
MW5 trailer
Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2889 on: April 25, 2013, 05:45:43 PM

I think that's a fair asssessment but it's something that's hard to solve and might not be as important as collision handling? I see a lot more lights running around thinking they're the bees knees.

I imagine they'd drop to half those levels if they put in the old collision solution. Not that lights are problem now, I would love the feeling of stomping an out of place light/medium to the ground.

Meanwhile I'm still having fun in my Hunchback especially when I had a friend in a Founder Catapult providing wonderful artillery support.

Ironwood: The Highlander is shite? I was sorely tempted to use it as a bigger brawler especially with an AC20 in the arm for one of them.

Centurion for my next mastery or buy an Atlas-RS to work on my Atlas Elite mastery?
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2890 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:50 AM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2891 on: April 26, 2013, 01:53:37 AM

It's really noticeable for me when the match starts. You are there surrounded by these big robots, and as soon as they start moving around they all pretty much look the same size and uhm.... not imposing at all. For some reason the Stalker is the most disappointing. It ends up feeling quite tiny, while I always pictured it as big huge giant terrifying zeppelin of doom. But even the Atlas doesn't look that big anymore, and the Highlander is another huge turnoff.

Don't mean to bash the game, I still love it. I just finally put my fingers on something that started bothering me once they added lots of new, weird (Highlander as an assault looks ridiculous to me) 'mechs: lack of detail in the maps, and some mech design and animations took the illusion of size out of the MWO for me. We need more stuff we can stomp on, a little less skyscrapers and barren empty canyons.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2892 on: April 26, 2013, 02:02:51 AM

Personally, as I've said before, I think the Art in this game took a massive step back.  When you look at the mechs they launched with and then compare the recent additions, there's something missing.  It just doesn't look as impressive.  Also, the swapping of hardpoints doesn't really work that well yet.  I don't wanna put Streaks on my Highlander only to see two MASSIVE missile holes in my chest.  It's totally jarring.

Further, that heavy Metal was just stupid.  A fucking Monstrosity.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2893 on: April 26, 2013, 06:21:30 AM

I imagine they'd drop to half those levels if they put in the old collision solution. Not that lights are problem now, I would love the feeling of stomping an out of place light/medium to the ground.
The old collision was stupid.  Lights fell over at the slightest breeze.  I don't mind some chance, but it was utterly ridiculous before.

There should also be a chance the heavier 'mechs get tripped up and fall, too.  Plus piloting checks for massive damage, being hit while shutdown, etc.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2894 on: April 26, 2013, 06:29:22 AM

And jumping like a 90 tons spring.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #2895 on: April 26, 2013, 06:30:59 AM

And jumping like a 90 tons spring.

This. There have always been penalties for jumping in the board game. Why the fuck there aren't in MWO is bizarre.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2896 on: April 26, 2013, 06:42:51 AM

It's not as bad as the Gauss Rifle not having the original minimum range limitation.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2897 on: April 27, 2013, 12:44:10 AM

It isn't the maps. It's because of the way the mechs handle.

it's actually because of the way the game's perspective comes out forced wrong. Pay careful attention to the way your cockpit is drawn into the world, and how actually fucking huge it seems compared to your environment. Which makes you feel really small. I still only have a trackpad but lemme try illustrating.

^ this. you feel like this because of the "size" of your cockpit and the perspective being equivalent to if you were much smaller.

It's only even moderately constrained in the atlas. in other mechs, you just seem teensy. like here, watch this video and pay attention to how the effective size of the cockpit makes it look like everything else is a miniaturized toy world and that you are in fact so close to the ground you might as well be wearing the cockpit over your upper body and simply running on your own feet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlygprEdRs
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2898 on: April 27, 2013, 03:29:13 AM

I don't even recognise that game in the video.  It looks fun.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2899 on: April 27, 2013, 03:34:10 PM

You know what's horrible to level up these days? The Catapult A1. Nightmare.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2900 on: April 27, 2013, 05:42:57 PM

Game seemed to keep taking big steps backwards. I started it up for the first time since the week of the highlander patch and it patched but I can't find notes anywhere. Did they do something good or something foolish? I'm not sure I want to play again until I see a decent patch out of this incompetents.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2901 on: April 28, 2013, 02:18:40 AM

In other news, finally found a Highlander I can kinda live with.

UAC, 2 Meds, 4 ASRM6

It can really fuck up at close ranges, but, again, close range games have to be really, really worked at to happen.  I did like smashing a dual AC20's head in at 90 meters tho.

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #2902 on: April 28, 2013, 07:23:02 AM

Right now the game is going through meta growing pains. Right now it's being dominated by distance sniping and a preference for long range high alpha (ppc's and gauss whee) and was made absolutely worse with the introduction of a 90 ton mech that can poptart.

It's really driving people off. I'm amazed to hear that organized gameplay has actually made the Hexalker (6 ppc stalker) an effective player, because it is Highest Alpha Didn't Care and this works on poptarts.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #2903 on: April 28, 2013, 07:34:14 AM

6 PPC Awesomes are now in play.  It's just as silly.

Llyse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2904 on: April 28, 2013, 09:08:40 AM

Right now the game is going through meta growing pains. Right now it's being dominated by distance sniping and a preference for long range high alpha (ppc's and gauss whee) and was made absolutely worse with the introduction of a 90 ton mech that can poptart.

It's really driving people off. I'm amazed to hear that organized gameplay has actually made the Hexalker (6 ppc stalker) an effective player, because it is Highest Alpha Didn't Care and this works on poptarts.

yeah it's a bit ridiculous but fun is what you make it. I got my personal best of 868 damage in my HBK-4P so I'm having fun being a nuisance. But yeah, I'm hoping for a small buff to lrms/srms now that I'm in my HBK-4SP

Edit: Had quite a few games with the 4SP and I'm not feeling the SRM love at all. My 4G is super vulnerable to focused fire but AC20 means I can back stab someone and take them down in 2 volleys. My 4P has amazing damage and seems so damn durable. The 4SP feels like a poor compromise of slightly more durability but poor damage. Any tips on SRM-6 usage?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:30:29 PM by Llyse »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: