Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:51:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 132 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 1001105 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1295 on: November 09, 2012, 11:32:43 AM

No, streaks can't lock on a powered down mech, hence they can't shoot (BUZZ sound). Same is true for LRMs. Sometimes I get behind cover and power down for a few seconds in order to make sure the lock is broken and they'll target someone else. Works great with the improved power down/up you get in the Elite efficiencies tree, but more than viable without it unless there's a bunch of mechs around you, and in that case you are dead anyway.

Cripes, they changed that then ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1296 on: November 09, 2012, 11:49:14 AM

The missiles used to fly straight to last known "good" position.  In the case of LRMs this could be an issue since they're long range... if it makes a difference on streaks, where they should just be rockets at the brawling range, that's dumb.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1297 on: November 09, 2012, 12:10:05 PM

LRMs still fly to last known position if you lose the lock or you can just waste them if you don't have a lock to begin with. But Streaks cannot be fired unless they have a lock (because that would make them into simple SRMs, and they are not). And honestly I don't think this changed, it has been this way since the early beta as far as I can remember.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1298 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:51 PM

You can dumb fire lrms to where the torso is pointing, minimum damage range still applies.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1299 on: November 09, 2012, 12:29:54 PM

Fair enough.

Personally, I use the Squid Launcher.  Oh YEAH !

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1300 on: November 10, 2012, 08:49:44 AM

Interesting writeup about what are possibly the most efficient builds out there as of before the last patch.

MechWarrior Online's Open Beta launch has brought giant internet robots into computers across the world. In this article, we'll take a look at some of the most popular 'mech builds and what they mean for MWO.

TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

Let's start out with a look at Assault 'Mechs, the heaviest armored and armed BattleMechs available. The undisputed assault king right now is the Founder Atlas D(F). My Merc Corp, cReddit, likes to call them 'DTFs'. A lot of the people who purchased the $60 founders pack chose the founders Atlas since they are the hardest to get for a new player. Therefore, you see them all over the place, almost as ubiquitously as the trial Awesome 8T. The DTF is a solid mech, requiring focused fire and time to take them down, but ignoring them in favor of their weaker allies can be lethal as well.

The Atlas DTF features two projectile slots in its RT, two missile hardpoints, and four energy weapon hardpoints. The single most popular loadout is AC-20, 4 medium pulse lasers (MPL), and a couple SRM-6s. This build gives a pretty solid punch at 200m with the MPLs and AC-20, and provides a 'shotgun blast' of SRM-6s if you get too close.

Other popular builds include multiple LRMs with 4 ML for range, and the famous 'Steel Jaguar Atlas,' which is a three Large Laser build that also sports a gauss rifle. The Steel Jaguar Atlas has incredible alpha and projection, and will become even more powerful when the DHS issues are resolved. The main disadvantage with the Steel Jaguar Atlas is that is tends to run pretty hot, so use that to your advantage. All in all, when you see this common Atlas on the field, there's only one safe place to be, and that's right behind it.

AWS-9M: AWE-INSPIRING

The newest Awesome variant, released Oct. 25th along with a buff to Awesome survivability, has resurrected something that hardened Beta veterans might remember: the Fast Awesome. The Awesome-9M features an incredible 77.8KPH top speed that becomes a breathtaking 85KPH with elite AWS mech experience. Referred to by cRedditors as the 'Rancor,' this setup can move as fast as a stock Dragon while wielding six energy slots and three SRM slots. The only catch is that the center torso contains two of these laser slots in addition to two missile slots, forcing the pilot to choose between maximum laser slots and a trio of SRMs.

I call them 'SRM' slots because of their unique design: the missile ports on the 9M only allow two missiles to pass through at a time. You could technically mount an  LRM 20 onto the 9M, but it would fire 2 missiles at a time in 10 salvos, making it mostly ineffective. The AWS-9M shines with five medium lasers and two Streak SRM-2s, making it an assault 'mech that can move where it needs to, deal with Light 'mechs, and mount an amazing alpha strike. This BattleMech redeems the Awesome lineup, and is the reason a lot of people are saving up for an assault 'mech.

LET'S TALK CATS

As a Redditor, this is of course one of my favorite subjects, even more so when we're talking about 65 ton death machines. No listing of MWO 'mechs would be complete without the Catapult, and in fact, the Catapult will probably be the single 'mech chassis that an MWO player will see most often. The Catapult has become a symbol of MechWarrior Online.

The most controversial and popular Cat build is the Catapult-K2. The K2 is the only 'mech in the game that can mount a dual gauss cannon setup right now, giving it a 30 damage alpha that costs zero heat. While considered 'cheesy' and 'non-canon' by many players, the 'Gausscat' was capable of incredible feats throughout Closed Beta, but has recently taken a bit of fire from the developers. Cockpit hitboxes have been 'tweaked' across MWO, most notably with the AWS cockpit shrinking considerably. Large 'mechs with smaller engines also now have to buy heat sinks, cutting a ton of ammo from the Gausscat. At the same time the Gauss projectile speed has been reduced slightly, enough to make those distance shots more difficult. These changes haven't rendered the Gausscat Inept, but have been a good way to bring them into line with other 'mechs. The Gausscat remains one of the most feared BattleMechs on the field.

Next up are Streakers, and not the "nothing but a trenchcoat" kind. The Streakcat is a Catapult-A1 that focuses on Streak SRM-2 boating. A large engine, high levels of armor and six SSRM-2s are a quite effective loadout. The missiles can be chain-fired for incredible levels of cockpit shake or fired simultaneously in salvos that will KO lights or strip armor in batches from the enemy center torso. Another popular streakcat build is 2 SRM6 and 4 SSRM-2s. This build sacrifices a bit of the anti-light power, runs a little hotter than the Six Streak and has to worry about 2 different types of ammo, but gets a much higher alpha damage and is more effective against Atlases. Woe to the Atlas that allows one of these Catapults behind it.

One thing to note is that PGI has announced a nerf to Streak SRM-2s by making the missiles sometimes lock onto something other than the center torso. This change will definitely affect streakcat effectiveness against assaults and heavies, possibly relegating this build to unusability. The level of power this variant will lose remains to be seen.

Finally, the Catapult-C1 is a common sight on the battlefield that will probably become even more popular. This variant, often termed 'Catzilla,' usually sports two LRM15s and 4 Medium Pulse lasers. While LRMs generally aren't very effective in organized play, they are quite powerful in pugstomp matches and can be useful to drive the enemy into cover in premade versus premade play. The main strength of the Catzilla is that it can apply damage from 1000m all the way to brawling range. Many enemies will see this Cat firing LRM's and will close within the minimum range, only to be met with heavy pulse laser damage.

This huge range of variety and power makes Catapults one of the most popular 'mechs to play in the game, especially when combined with the high power of long range missiles in pickup group matches.

MEDIUM 'MECHS: MIDGETS OR MONSTERS?

Continuing down the weight classes, we arrive at Medium 'mechs. The Centurion is worth a mention as it is quite popular. Looking at it objectively, the Centurion's weapon hardpoints are more spread out, and it is almost impossible to totally disable one like you can a hunchback. The 3 Streak Cent is probably the most viable build, but still cannot put out anything near the damage numbers on a hunchback. The Centurion's main strength is that it is a damage sponge that can tank an Atlas longer than most other 'mechs in the game in the hands of a skilled pilot. That said, the Hunchback is superior in almost every way, with the only real tradeoff being more fragility.

The main Hunch build is the Hunchback-4P, which is the laserboat hunchback. Toting six laser slots in its RT and one in the head and both arms, the Lunchback is a powerful 50-ton package of lasers, engines, and armor. Piloting one armed with seven medium lasers and two medium pulse lasers might feel like a disco, but the level of threat this mech packs is deadly to mechs of every weight class. In fact, seven medium lasers have a higher alpha than 2 gauss cannons.

Like most other hunchback variants, targeting the swollen right torso is probably the easiest way to take a lunchback out of the fight, especially considering that most Hunchbacks will run XL engines. "Focus fire on Hunch RT" is called for as often as "whack that Wang."

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER

Finally, the list is rounded out with the ubiquitous Jenner. The Jenner is the eyes and ears of a MechCommander, but also can make an effective skirmisher. Now that knockdowns have been removed, the threat level from Jenners and other lights has skyrocketed. As with the Atlas, the Founder's Jenner is quite popular with four laser slots and two missile slot. The most common founder's build is usually dubbed the 'Jennerceptor.' Four small lasers and 2 Streak SRM2s make the Jennerceptor one of the most effective dogfighting lights, and killing lights should be a Jenner's main goal. After all, if things aren't looking good, the Jenner has the speed to get away from any other weight class.

GIANT METAL ROBOTS AND EXPLOSIONS

While these builds will make up about 75% of the non-trial mechs you see, by no means is there a lack of variety. Tweaks like endosteel, dual heat sinks, mech experience and engine options result in a plethora of choices, as any MechWarrior game should have. The upcoming addition of ECM, Artemis missile guidance, and the Cataphract will only increase the options availible. MechWarriors around the globe eagerly wait to see if PGI will actually be able to release a patch on time.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #1301 on: November 10, 2012, 11:21:11 AM

Fun rolling with ya, Falc. Anyone else game? Post your name and let's roll.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1302 on: November 10, 2012, 12:14:06 PM

Fun rolling with ya, Falc. Anyone else game? Post your name and let's roll.

Satael (usually at EU times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1303 on: November 10, 2012, 12:32:36 PM

Lefteye is me in game.

The UI is still terrible to create groups, I think I have all of you in my friend list (this thread has lots of us, although not everyone is easily recognizable - Maybe drop a line there if you haven't yet and feel like it) but the inability to communicate makes it impossible to create a group unless you know you are supposed to meet. Yeah, it was fun to play with you Slayerik, even without communication it felt different from my usual solo games.

Let's see who is who (in game name is the same as here if not specified):

1 - Falconeer = Lefteye
2 - Slayerik
3 - Llyse = Eek
4 - Jherad
5 - Satael
6 - Merusk
7 - Goreschach = Cornjob
8 - Bann
9 - Pennilenko
10 - 5150 = Ashrid
11 - Lantyssa
12 - Evildrider = Harshaw
13 - Lightstalker = Dr Fang
14 - Cadaverine = Noitek
15 - Helm = Hlem
16 - Megrim
17 - Zetleft
18 - MahrinSkel = Abuse Magnet
19 - Ironwood = Sugo
20 - Ghambit
21 - Shannow = Galen Shannow
22 - HaemishM
23 - angry.bob = Kitty Gallore
24 - Calapine = Tressa
25 - Segoris
26 - schpain = ChiefTripodBear
27 - Arthur_Parker = Horrace
28 - Ragnoros
29 - HaemishM = Skedaddle
30 - ? = Abetterpilot
31 - ? = Neaon Reaper
32 - ? = Zaljerem
33 - ? = Fish Eye
34 - ? = Maltak
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:09:06 AM by Falconeer »

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1304 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:38 AM

I'm Sugo.

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1305 on: November 11, 2012, 05:02:31 AM

This right here is what is starting to annoy me with games nowdays. So many micro-bubbles, knowing who's who and whatnot gets to be a hassle and :effort:

I use Raptr nowadays for at least keeping my various gaming accounts concisely in a single place, but even that only supports so much.

I can't even really recall what my name in MWO is, and I JUST made an account on it yesterday. Might be Vaiti. Might be ChrisCarver. I could have gone with the rarer pick of cuddlebear34 but not 100% on that

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1306 on: November 11, 2012, 07:37:18 AM

I'm "Ghambit."  But I roll with tacticalgamer mostly.  You guys are more than welcome to get serious and pay us a visit.  Don't bother doing-so if you dont use VOIP though (which is like the majority of f13).   Ohhhhh, I see.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1307 on: November 11, 2012, 07:42:16 AM

I don't get a lot of free time but I am looking for a semi serious voip coordinated group.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1308 on: November 11, 2012, 03:20:19 PM

I'm Galen Shannow

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1309 on: November 12, 2012, 10:18:25 AM

I'm haemishm.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #1310 on: November 12, 2012, 11:17:44 AM

I'm KittyGallore

Yes, I know it's not spelled right.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1311 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:49 AM

And despite all this we all still won't get a game together because the social tools on this game suck fucking ass.

Still.

Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #1312 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:20 AM

It's a real head scratcher, that. You'd think, just maybe. Perhaps. They would put more emphasis on the social multiplayer part of the game. Nah.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1313 on: November 12, 2012, 11:42:04 AM

They have UI 2.0 in the pipeline. Coming... 2013  swamp poop

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #1314 on: November 12, 2012, 12:08:49 PM

And despite all this we all still won't get a game together because the social tools on this game suck fucking ass.

Still.

+1.

Everything in 2013 by the looks. It's the new 'two weeks'.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #1315 on: November 12, 2012, 02:26:12 PM

Having played 100% pug battles I have to say that groups are the cancer that will kill this game. That and no apparent segregation of different levels of advancement. The new thing I've seen all day today is the whole opposing team sitting in the wood near their spawn powered downexcept for a raven or two. Then as people come in range they power up and streakrape them. It's a real fucking treat when your Atlas dies in a literal second, and that second is filled with your screen having epilepsy.

As imperfect as it is, the game needs a tier system similar to Wo*. In it's current form the grind from sheep to sheep with more basic skills is... suck.

On the bright side, double heat sinks and the lightweight frame lets me spam more lasers than ever!

Also, is there a horrible memory leak or siomething? If I don't run a RAM cleaner every two matches the thing locks up on me.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1316 on: November 12, 2012, 03:00:40 PM

I gotta say, bob. I just killed you in a game about 30 minutes ago and you were in a hunchback that ran straight through the lake of the forest map towards our lines. You got ripped in less than 30 seconds (I had the honour to get the killshot out of you) but we were a PUG too. I am not judging your playstyle just from one game (especially considering I am pretty terrible at this), but I could say that your behaviour in that particular match is pretty much why PUGs have no chances against premades. In fact, many PUGs have no chances against other PUGs too when they go down a 'mech so early in the match.

That said, the thirs step of their matchmaking revamp includes some sort of ELO ranking that will match similarly ranked players. That will definitely change everything for the better. The problem? 2013®...

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #1317 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:49 PM

Yeah, that memory leak or whatever. If I don't stop and restart the game I drop to about 5-10 frames per second for the third battle and then on the fourth battle my PC just freezes. Not sure what fight that was but if I was just running straight it was probably one where I tried to stretch out a third game without restarting. Normally I'd be circle straffing someone to varying degrees of effectiveness.

Not saying I don't just run forward like a retard on purpose sometimes especially if we're three or more kills behind, but more often than not it's my shitty framerate.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1318 on: November 12, 2012, 06:38:28 PM

Calapine = Tressa

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1319 on: November 12, 2012, 07:42:55 PM

Yeah, that memory leak or whatever. If I don't stop and restart the game I drop to about 5-10 frames per second for the third battle and then on the fourth battle my PC just freezes. Not sure what fight that was but if I was just running straight it was probably one where I tried to stretch out a third game without restarting. Normally I'd be circle straffing someone to varying degrees of effectiveness.

Not saying I don't just run forward like a retard on purpose sometimes especially if we're three or more kills behind, but more often than not it's my shitty framerate.

That's the same problem I had, but I'd go bluescreen rather than fully lock-up.  If you're getting a crash log send it in so they can fix the damn thing.  If you turn your resolution down to something shitty it'll go away/ happen less often.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1320 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:07 PM

You can sign up Segoris as Segoris as well. But don't group with him, word out there is he is a team killer.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #1321 on: November 12, 2012, 11:49:35 PM

= ChiefTripodBear

*Should be working*
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1322 on: November 13, 2012, 12:49:22 AM

We got almost 30 people showing some interest here. I agree that at the moment it's really irritating to even try and start a group, but by the time Community Warfare hits in 2013® given the nature of the game we might have a small little group of mercenaries ready to, occasionally, roll.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:51:10 AM by Falconeer »

satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1323 on: November 13, 2012, 01:53:47 AM

We got almost 30 people showing some interest here. I agree that at the moment it's really irritating to even try and start a group, but by the time Community Warfare hits in 2013® given the nature of the game we might have a small little group of mercenaries ready to, occasionally, roll.

The best way to reach me for mwo is thru steam (if I'm on steam (satael57) and not set to busy then I'm probably interested in a match or two of mwo, though blood bowl is always my first choice winkwink)
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1324 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:42 AM

Register and login at tacticalgamer.com.  Post in the MWO forum if you want, but really just pop into Teamspeak (dont bother signing up if you dont use TS btw), find the MWO channel and have at thee.  ~fin
We'll be splitting the channel into lances since the last content push limits the teams to 4.  Typically we have enough for 2 full lances on any given night and more on the weekends.

Unless you're cozy with the proprietary voip the game pushes on you, this is really your best option.

edit:
The other option is to use f13's TS (which is listed in the MMO forum) and PM Nix to make you an MWO channel.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:49:53 AM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1325 on: November 13, 2012, 02:39:02 PM

I guess I am simple, but I am still laughing. Hard.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 02:40:33 PM by Falconeer »

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1326 on: November 13, 2012, 03:05:34 PM

Unlocked elite on 3 atlas's, last few thousand to finish the last one off was grouping with randoms and it's crazy how bad they are.  At least in a light you have a good chance to make a difference to the match outcome by splitting the enemy, in an atlas you're pretty screwed when your own team all runs off to die.

They should split trial mechs into their own trial only matches asap, can't wait till 8 man groups go back in.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #1327 on: November 13, 2012, 04:06:07 PM

They seem to have captured the essence of mechwarrior. Imbalanced mechanics, gimmick build and munchkinism.

The video earlier had a streak-cat pilot raging it was impossible to hit a light mech with most of the heavy weapons. Is that due to the difficulty of manual aiming which would be multiplied by poor latency? I know it has a lock on system but I assume that's only for missiles.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1328 on: November 13, 2012, 06:21:20 PM

The video earlier had a streak-cat pilot raging it was impossible to hit a light mech with most of the heavy weapons. Is that due to the difficulty of manual aiming which would be multiplied by poor latency? I know it has a lock on system but I assume that's only for missiles.

That's only *mostly* why it's hard to hit them and are just the usual FPS problems.  Now make it so you have a limited range of motion, say only 45 degrees up and down angle, and they can run 2-3x faster than you and can close from your "long distance" range to "weapons ineffective" range in about 4 seconds - longer than your fire cycle.   Oh.. and even if you tag one with all your weapons in an alpha strike they're not going down.  You need to tag them 4-5 times at least.

The lock-on system only works if you hold their targeting box (and you can only track one target at a time) until lock-on and if they move out your lock is blown. This is true for short or long-range missiles.

Unless you're a fan of "OMG MECHS" or Mechwarrior in general it's just not a good game.  I have fun because - hey -  giant robots; but in no way would I call it balanced.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2012, 11:26:13 PM

I thought assaults and lights were balanced fairly well, if anything the assault had the advantage.   Then they changed things, tripping has been removed while they work on it, double heats sinks in the engine are at 2.0, so lights are more likely to be on full armour & running cold which makes killing them a complete pain in the arse.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 132 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MechWarrior Online  |  Topic: Mechwarrior Online  
Jump to: